Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Looking over at Greece and I've noticed there's no Albanian culture in either start date. Why is that and where are they?

They didn't exist in that time period?

Wikipedia posted:

Sassanid Albania fell to the Islamic conquest of Persia in the mid-7th century and was incorporated into the Rashidun Caliphate. King Javanshir of Albania, the most prominent ruler of Mihranid dynasty, fought against the Arab invasion of caliph Uthman on the side of Sassanid Iran. Facing the threat of the Arab invasion on the south and the Khazar offensive on the north, Javanshir had to recognize the caliph's suzerainty. The Arabs then reunited the territory with Armenia under one governor.[23]

By the 8th century, "Albania" had been reduced to a strictly geographical and titular ecclesiastical connotation,[115] and was referred to as such by medieval Armenian historians; on its place sprang a number principalities, such as that of the Armenian principality and kingdom of Khachen, along with various Caucasian, Iranian and Arabic principalities: the principality of Shaddadids, the principality of Shirvan, the principality of Derbent. Most of the region was ruled by the Persian Sajid Dynasty from 890 to 929. The region was at times part of the Abbasid province of Armenia based on numismatic and historical evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Wrong Albania, that's the one next to Iberia.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Fired up multiplayer and, aside from my mic not working on the Xbox PC app for some reason, it's as good as ever. Fired up an Ireland and Wales (me) duo at 1066 and there's already been enough England/Mercia and internal Scotland strife to keep our chosen countries chill. I kind of wish they'd cut back on the title-forming gold costs as sitting on my thumbs for 50 years to collect enough gold ain't fun.

I know it's not a priority but it'd be nice to have a little streamlining for multiplayer. The big event popups with fade-in wordy explanations and giant display for wars got my screen super cluttered with poo poo at a few points. There were multiple misclicks in there when I went to hit a button and something else popped up in its place. I also need to figure out how to turn off the "helpful" reminders. Having the cluster for stuff available to me is good, but a few states (succession, going broke) just generate a shitload of purple circles.

I kind of wish the title claims were less obtuse as well. The welsh cultural titles (county/duchy is Lordship/Province, I think?) are only momentarily confusing but having a claim for the duchy of X and pressing it should get me the duchy of X and not the county of Y located within the duchy of X. If you stop and scroll down on the war results it tells you exactly what happens but it just seems like it'd be easier to say I had a claim on the county and not confuse anything.

Also, is there a way to call in allies that isn't from the condensed notification at the top? I couldn't figure out how to do it outside of that.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, the cheating is out of control, reminds me of when Way of Life was released for CK2, and every kingdom was just a massive orgy all the time.

My previous ruler was lustful and I played his entire life without anyone trying to chat him up. I guess with the introduction of seduction in CK2 that stuff is locked away behind that. All I ever got was an option to pick up Rakish, which gives a stress reduction decision to go visit a brothel. I never used it because I'm pretty sure it was just a trap choice that had a 100% syphilis proc rate, but it was the only interesting part other than frantically trying to knightmurder my truly ridiculous amount of sons that trait got me before the game start date.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Wrong Albania, that's the one next to Iberia.

Oops, but the other one didn't exist either

Wikipedia posted:

Historically, the country has been inhabited by numerous civilisations such as the Illyrians, Thracians, Ancient Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Venetians and Ottomans. The Albanians established the autonomous Principality of Arbër in the 12th century. The Kingdom of Albania and Principality of Albania formed between the 13th and 14th centuries.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does the Architected Ancestry legacy even work? I picked Albino, and then 100 years later did a search for how many there were in my dynasty. 2 out of 1343 living members had it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Does the Architected Ancestry legacy even work? I picked Albino, and then 100 years later did a search for how many there were in my dynasty. 2 out of 1343 living members had it.

it worked for me with the rabbit trait. difference might be that albino is also a negative one, and thus likely to be bred out thanks to the other legacies? but im not entirely sure how it works behind the scenes

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Tamba posted:

Oops, but the other one didn't exist either
There was no state at the time, but Albanian culture should be already there, it's possiblly Illyrian or Thracian in origin, thus predating Slavic tribes in the area and distinct from Greeks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Davincie posted:

it worked for me with the rabbit trait. difference might be that albino is also a negative one, and thus likely to be bred out thanks to the other legacies? but im not entirely sure how it works behind the scenes

You might be right.
Honestly, I feel some of the traits could stand to be "neutral" instead of bad, like Albino or Giant. Spindly, Bleeder, and the dumb traits should be the main bad ones.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Jose posted:

So do you always start with partition succession or are there some that don't have it? I like to play CK2 as mostly a chill kingdom builder and its a lot harder to be chill where i have to rush to having a kingdom so i don't have to reconquer a bunch of poo poo from my siblings

I'm also interested in some characters who start wtih intrigue or stewardship lifestyles all mine have been diplomacy or war lol

Some culture groups can switch to high partition almost immediately, like Occitan and Catalan.

Other culture groups can switch to house seniority almost immediately, like Czech.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jose posted:

So do you always start with partition succession or are there some that don't have it? I like to play CK2 as mostly a chill kingdom builder and its a lot harder to be chill where i have to rush to having a kingdom so i don't have to reconquer a bunch of poo poo from my siblings

I'm also interested in some characters who start wtih intrigue or stewardship lifestyles all mine have been diplomacy or war lol

It's important to note that your siblings carving off part of your kingdom in partition is not actually a big deal. If your highest level title is a duchy and they inherit Other Duchy, your primary heir still inherits claims on that duchy so you can war them for the whole shebang right out the gate.

This is also true of kingdoms. As long as you're making sure your primary heir is inheriting the Actually Developed Heartland it's really not a big deal.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Broken Cog posted:

Aw drat, so I should just keep on doing the hunting decision, then?

I'm not super sure how the event scripting works, but it looks like you end up with a maximum 7% chance to catch it after you've had 5 encounters with the white beast. So after that point, you'll only need to encounter the beast an expected 14 or 15 more times to catch it!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Byzantines are insanely strong every game and never break up, as is tradition

At least the HRE tends to fracture pretty regularly. Still love this game

(I didn't touch 'em, at least not until well after they exploded into a bunch of rebellious successor states.)

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, the cheating is out of control, reminds me of when Way of Life was released for CK2, and every kingdom was just a massive orgy all the time.

I think Paradox have acknowledged that it's not working as intended though.

Yeah! At the risk of sounding like the guy who posted about realistic cuck rates on the CK2 subreddit, in most games if my ruler lives long enough my partner almost always has at least one additional lover--even if I'm soulmates with my partner. Kind of annoying to always get the "questionable heritage" trait on your heirs

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also HRE on my current Sulayhid 1066 playthru went Andalusian Islamic for some reason

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is also true of kingdoms. As long as you're making sure your primary heir is inheriting the Actually Developed Heartland it's really not a big deal.

However under partition keeping your heartland is easier when you don't have a king or even duchy title that the game will give your heir instead of actual counties. I wish it were possible to destroy one's primary title.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Is there a knack for development? I started in low-med developed England, and 150 years later my Realm Capital is development 16. Even having spent the last 15 years using stewards to only increase development on it. I have like 10+ separate % buffs on it in my capital, and it still goes up 0.1 per month. When I started getting into it properly, I looked at the map and there were segments of my vassals' realms that were ahead of my capital somehow, and now I've only just caught up.

Also a slice of advice for fellow England starters, don't wait too long to take a slice of Ireland. I just used my once per lifetime Kingdom Holy War to take 3 counties at once in Ireland so I could make the Kingdom. It was a loving grueling war and basically every knight in the realm died. It all gets gobbled up by Norse kingdoms who are hard to win against because you can't effectively keep big armies there for long and siege stuff because the supply limit is like 1200 in every shithole county. You need to develop a foothold as a resupply station. They run around with small armies of like 1500 troops but 12+ bloody champions each who rip the heads off every single one of your vassal knights.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DrPop posted:

Yeah! At the risk of sounding like the guy who posted about realistic cuck rates on the CK2 subreddit, in most games if my ruler lives long enough my partner almost always has at least one additional lover--even if I'm soulmates with my partner. Kind of annoying to always get the "questionable heritage" trait on your heirs

The "Questionable heritage" is actually not a cheating event at all apparently, but an intrigue event where you basically make poo poo up to sow suspicion. Someone mentioned that the event hilariously enough retroactively changes the biological father too.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jeza posted:

Is there a knack for development? I started in low-med developed England, and 150 years later my Realm Capital is development 16. Even having spent the last 15 years using stewards to only increase development on it. I have like 10+ separate % buffs on it in my capital, and it still goes up 0.1 per month. When I started getting into it properly, I looked at the map and there were segments of my vassals' realms that were ahead of my capital somehow, and now I've only just caught up.

What level of the existing development innovation do you have and when did you start? The first one you can research caps the penalty at 20 development, the next one at 35.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 11, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What level of innovation do you have and when did you start? The first one you can research caps the penalty at 20 development, the next one at 35.

867. I have the 20 cap but not the next one yet. Does it slow down closer to the cap? I figured progress was so slow I didn't need the fascination just yet.

e: uh, the second one is my innovation level. early medieval or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think I'll put CK3 down for a while while they iron out some of the bugs and imbalance. I really like transitioning from tribalism, but it sounds like it's incredibly dumb and painful right now.

Maybe I'll try the start as a Coptic Clan -> convert to Kushite -> reform dance to get some of the same flavor.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Jeza posted:

867. I have the 20 cap but not the next one yet. Does it slow down closer to the cap? I figured progress was so slow I didn't need the fascination just yet.

e: uh, the second one is my innovation level. early medieval or something.

Yeah, it takes longer to get to the next level of development the closer you get to the cap. It also helps to have a bunch of cities in your capital and to build and upgrade the +dev growth buildings in them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jeza posted:

You can see what the penalty is when you assign your steward to increase development, and yeah, you still have a penalty below the cap, just less of one.

My current capital in 1045 just a few years after feudalizing. As you can see, the only reason it's growing passively at all is because I have stewardship skills that are providing it. All my neighbors have less development, so there's nothing to gain there. What are your neighbors like?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

megane posted:

I think I'll put CK3 down for a while while they iron out some of the bugs and imbalance. I really like transitioning from tribalism, but it sounds like it's incredibly dumb and painful right now.

Maybe I'll try the start as a Coptic Clan -> convert to Kushite -> reform dance to get some of the same flavor.
If you save up some money first, it's really not that bad. You just have to sit back and wait for a while after you transition.
I think the whiplash is mostly because of how insanely powerful tribals are in the earlygame.

Edit: if you want fast development, scholar focus is the way to go.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a court seeress and what do they do or how can I effect them? I guess it's powerful so I made sure to sleep with mine.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's a court seeress and what do they do or how can I effect them? I guess it's powerful so I made sure to sleep with mine.

Sounds like a different-faith variant of the court chaplain / archbishop.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Romance just a lamer Seduce?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jay Rust posted:

Is Romance just a lamer Seduce?

It's ~true love~

It gives +120 instead of +60, and also your original soulmate will hate you if you even attempt to romance someone else.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its a easy way to get a lot of prestige, though its not like we have much to spend that on.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

The "Questionable heritage" is actually not a cheating event at all apparently, but an intrigue event where you basically make poo poo up to sow suspicion. Someone mentioned that the event hilariously enough retroactively changes the biological father too.

Oh dam really? So is it likely when I see that event that I'm just the target of an Intrigue scheme? Can it be a truthful thing too?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

No Pants posted:

Looking at the hunting event file, what you're seeing seems normal. You're just increasing your odds of catching it next time in really small increments. If the actual odds are anything like the CK2 version of the event chain, actually completing the event chain will be really rare.

I got the white stag with no follow in at all. I turned it into a coat.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DrPop posted:

Also HRE on my current Sulayhid 1066 playthru went Andalusian Islamic for some reason

This has happened to me too, it makes Europe a weird clusterfuck and I love it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm queen of sweden why do tiny little counties in the UK keep starting war with me lol

edit: seems I control a tiny little county in the UK lol

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Think my plan for when I eventually feudalise my african empire is to set a couple of family members up with juicy independent kingdoms on either side and ally them. I'll get renown and they can play bodyguard for me while I build up my strength.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm getting a little annoyed by the lack of certain map modes. Where's the county control map? (I know, you can see one if you click the marshal job, but that's a lot more effort than one hotkey)

Could also use a popular opinion map mode, and also a ruler "opinion of me" mode

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jose posted:

I'm queen of sweden why do tiny little counties in the UK keep starting war with me lol

edit: seems I control a tiny little county in the UK lol

Look forward to the next 400 years consisting of your idiot viking vassals sailing down the coast of Europe, taking over a million scattered tiny counties around the Iberian peninsula and the Black Sea, and then making you defend their claims from their pissed-off neighbors.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Look forward to the next 400 years consisting of your idiot viking vassals sailing down the coast of Europe, taking over a million scattered tiny counties around the Iberian peninsula and the Black Sea, and then having to defend their claims from their neighbors.

I gave that up quick. My vassal conquers/inherits some faraway shithole? I'm surrendering the moment the wardec to take it back hits my desk.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wheres the patch johan

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

strong bird posted:

wheres the patch johan

it better not break north korea mode before I have time to abuse it explore its possibilities, for fun.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TorakFade posted:

While we're talking about geniuses... I started a new game as Duchess Matilda di Canossa and married a genius guy, and hoooo boy

I'd say the succession is safe unless :xcom: happens and I can start looking outwards. What's the best path to ultimate success with Matilda? I'm guessing I need a kingdom to avoid having to fight my genius brothers as my genius heir, but the Kingdom of Italy seems like a pain to acquire enough land to form. I already got a hook on the HRE emperor and used it to put free wars in my feudal contract so I can just smash my neighbors if need be but they have alliances and it'd be a slog. Might be better to form a custom kingdom? I could start nibbling on the southern part of Italy, the duchy of Capua would be easy pickings and then I can start loving with Robert the Fox (if he doesn't have an "accident" before then)
Finagle a claim on Lombardy, that should get you most of the way to Italy. Alternately usurp Kingdom of Romagna from the pope by beating on the OPMs to your northeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Excelzior posted:

it better not break north korea mode before I have time to abuse it explore its possibilities, for fun.

i dont give a poo poo about the quasi-cheating stuff people do, i want the actual game to work