Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

I don't know what you're talking about

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-infections-surge-by-60-in-england-with-3-200-new-cases-each-day-12068962

e: 53 written in hexadecimal is 35

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If youre managing volunteers in a non profit situation and they are lazy and gently caress about can you get cross at them?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Typical Marxist thread, trying to overthrow an idiot king.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happening dot png :(

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

communism bitch posted:

Don't become managers folks. I've walked too far down a dark path and there's no going back for me.

I had the option of become head of a department or moving departments and i took the department switch because eventually it pays more and doesnt keep me in IT

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If youre managing volunteers in a non profit situation and they are lazy and gently caress about can you get cross at them?

They're doing you a favour by being there at all so definitely not.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

i mean iirc the assumption in that graph is that after lockdown we do basically nothing at all, so it probably won't be quite as bad. we'll merely not do enough, which will presumably be fine and have no negative consequences at all

Jose posted:

lol starmer wants rid of richard leonard except the only person who could rely on to do it, the sole scottish labour mp, got outed as nearly joining CHUK and now has no authority

it's a really fun time because while scottish labour is objectively still in a tailspin, none of the people challenging leonard have any plans other than "elect new person, ???, majority", thus continuing the gradual stagnation of the party as the snp carry on with barely any left-wing opposition. unless we get patrick-harvie-jeb-bush-map.png that is, which, i mean I wouldn't complain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/1304366961258889216?s=20

will this annoy the racists?

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1304320727995289600?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Number 5 definitely seems bad for the weebs wanting their bootleg translations :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i think we need to address the most important part of the trade deal, which is will the cooperation on copyright make it more difficult to pirate anime. asking for a friend

e: dammit owlfancier you scooped me on this important issue

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

i mean iirc the assumption in that graph is that after lockdown we do basically nothing at all, so it probably won't be quite as bad. we'll merely not do enough, which will presumably be fine and have no negative consequences at all
Yes, the study predicted that there'd need to be a second lockdown in September to prevent cases exceeding critical care capacity in October.

Instead, we're *check notes* blaming 20-29 year olds for eating out to help out and banning S Club 7, because the people have protested against a second wave.

Jose posted:

will this annoy the racists?
According to the top race scientists in apartheid South Africa, Japanese people are actually whiter than Southern Europeans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

i think we need to address the most important part of the trade deal, which is will the cooperation on copyright make it more difficult to pirate anime. asking for a friend

Foreign affairs correspondant namtab was contacted for their view on the matter but the feed was just endless screaming.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Angepain posted:

I doubt any of it is hosted in the UK and everyone knows to use a VPN for their bittorrents, so nah.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have a free audible credit, is there a political/science/history audiobook that people enjoyed?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

bessantj posted:

I have a free audible credit, is there a political/science/history audiobook that people enjoyed?

Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber. It's politics/social commentary and very good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

All because they had to reopen pubs and restaurants.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bessantj posted:

On my recent list:

Natives by Akala
Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1304405053554425857?s=19

ALAB

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

communism bitch posted:

Here's something I love about being a manager. There are two girls working in my office. They loving gossip non stop and do no work when I'm out of the office.

Usually I go out for an hour at 12,30 or 1ish for lunch and I know they just do gently caress all while I'm gone even though they take their lunches at 12.

Today I'm hanging around in the office and skipping my lunch. They keep casually mentioning the time in conversation as if to remind me it's time for me to leave so they can skive off for an hour.

I'm skipping lunch just to gently caress them off lol

They must really love you, Don't do this.

Also you can absolutely be a manager and not an arse, maybe it's uncommon for sure but I like to think I'm managing it if for nothing else I know what managers can be like and I never want to be come That Person.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

On my recent list:

Natives by Akala

I'd also second both of these.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
People are dying because we have a government that prioritised Wetherspoons pub lunches and supermarket meal deals over human lives

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

crispix posted:

People are dying because we have a government that prioritised Wetherspoons pub lunches and supermarket meal deals over human lives

There were definitely moments during lockdown where I would have done the same tbf, but that's why I would never put myself in charge of the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miftan posted:

Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber. It's politics/social commentary and very good.

Bobstar posted:

On my recent list:

Natives by Akala

Thank you for your recommendations, I regret that I only have 1 credit to spend.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 11, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

crispix posted:

I find the lack of outrage over deaths to be very strange. There was more hoo-ha about the horse meat scandal or Jade Goody than thousands and thousands of people dying and all the lives affected by that. I know thousands of people dying is hard to comprehend, yet people are just itching to eat a £3 meal deal and have a pint at spoons than think how our actions each affect one another and the repetitive gently caress-ups by the government.

This year has really changed how I see the country, I'm still not sure how it sits with me. I used to be optimistic and have faith in individuals, now, less so.

communism bitch posted:

I'm skipping lunch just to gently caress them off lol

Take your lunch at 12 instead and stop calling them girls maybe ;)

Also hi Barry Foster, where have you been?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

bessantj posted:

Thank you for your recommendations, I regret that I only have 1 credit to spend.

if it's the one free credit you get for signing up, iirc they'll give you a second credit if you try to cancel

also I found shock doctrine to be real heavy going as an audiobook but a lot easier in print

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

justcola posted:

I find the lack of outrage over deaths to be very strange. There was more hoo-ha about the horse meat scandal or Jade Goody than thousands and thousands of people dying and all the lives affected by that. I know thousands of people dying is hard to comprehend, yet people are just itching to eat a £3 meal deal and have a pint at spoons than think how our actions each affect one another and the repetitive gently caress-ups by the government.

This year has really changed how I see the country, I'm still not sure how it sits with me. I used to be optimistic and have faith in individuals, now, less so.

Our society is sick and things are getting very tough... very, very tough.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

justcola posted:

"The people who died were dumb people who took stupid risks and so deserved it, unlike me a smart person who washes their hands when they go to Wetherspoons".

Add some spelling/grammar mistakes and paste it into the LBC comments section on Facebook.

I don't know if it's increased due to the state of things over the last 15 or it's always been the case and is just more obvious these days but it certainly feels like a sizeable majority of this country is petty, mean and vindictive (also functionally illiterate).

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 11, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

A big problem is that the people who are really outraged aren't going to be taking to the streets to call it out, because there's a pandemic on.

Also there's a bunch of people outraged that the government is doing anything at all, which is more dispiriting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's also a bunch of people who are completely insulated from basically everything demanding that everyone else endanger themselves so that they don't have to feel like the world isn't exactly the way they want it to be.

Am I talking about brexit, the pandemic or austerity? Vote now on your phones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*presses 1 for English*

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

A big problem is that the people who are really outraged aren't going to be taking to the streets to call it out, because there's a pandemic on.

Also there's a bunch of people outraged that the government is doing anything at all, which is more dispiriting.

Also, what's the thing with the small thing tragedy, big thing statistic? That thing.

Jady Goody was one person, with a face. The people dying of Covid are faceless statistics.

And horse meat is gross, or if you're French, mislabeled. Theoretical gross trumps faceless death as well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

if it's the one free credit you get for signing up, iirc they'll give you a second credit if you try to cancel

also I found shock doctrine to be real heavy going as an audiobook but a lot easier in print

Well I had two but already spent one :blush:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Also, what's the thing with the small thing tragedy, big thing statistic? That thing.

Jady Goody was one person, with a face. The people dying of Covid are faceless statistics.

And horse meat is gross, or if you're French, mislabeled. Theoretical gross trumps faceless death as well.
I think in this case it's more an active/passive thing.

Famously on this day 19 years ago a few thousand people died, nobody remembers every single one of their names, but everyone remembers the name of the one Bad Foreign who was funded by Ronald Reagan plotted it, and people were pretty motivated by it.

Whereas the Covid deaths are due to the government not doing anything, rather than doing something, and there's no single Big Bad to blame other than ideologies like neoliberalism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol i was just at the supermarket and kids were out of school by 2:30. I see its kids HAVE to get back to school but we're still going to underfund them so severely that they're not open regular hours

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

blunt posted:

"The people who died were dumb people who took stupid risks and so deserved it, unlike me a smart person who washes their hands when they go to Wetherspoons".

Add some spelling/grammar mistakes and paste it into the LBC comments section on Facebook.

I don't know if it's increased due to the state of things over the last 15 or it's always been the case and is just more obvious these days but it certainly feels like a sizeable majority of this country is petty, mean and vindictive (also functionally illiterate).

I have come to believe that the people posting poorly spelled things all over aren’t illiterate, they are drunk and *emotional*.

The strong emotion prompts them to post racist screeds and the alcohol prompts them to misspell them. My dad got like this toward the end of his life and it was heartbreaking to see.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have come to believe that the people posting poorly spelled things all over aren’t illiterate, they are drunk and *emotional*.

The strong emotion prompts them to post racist screeds and the alcohol prompts them to misspell them. My dad got like this toward the end of his life and it was heartbreaking to see.

Sorry, I meant functionally illiterate as in "unable to parse and comprehend information, lacking critical thinking skills", not "unable to read or spell". I can see why that's doubly unclear as immediately before I was joking about spelling.

I probably used the wrong term ... Maybe I'm illiterate 👀

Sorry about your dad. My parents are starting to get noticeably "old" and that poo poo is scary.

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 11, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

Take your lunch at 12 instead and stop calling them girls maybe ;)

Also hi Barry Foster, where have you been?

Whassup? I've been trying to avoid UK politics because it's loving depressing and boring, mostly been on the UKMT discord/in CSPAM lolling about the absolute absurdity and hopelessness of it all. Still pop in here every so often to read a twisto post or be disappointed with Communism Bitch tho

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

justcola posted:

My personal observation is every year I go back to 2008's The Dark Knight and I always find a quote that fits to the time.
I think this one is apt.

quote:

The Joker:
You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's way more about a million is a statistic, I think, as well as even though it's a MASSIVE death toll, relative tot he population, the numbers are quite low, so there's a decent chance that most people simply don't know anyone who died, let alone anyone who died way younger than they would have, and so it's not real for them. Big numbers are hard to comprehend at the best of times.