Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

lightning cables have electronics in them that are supposed to negotiate all that stuff, thats one reason they're more expensive than usb

yeah, this one came from some piece of conference swag ages ago or something. I would not be surprised if it was incorrectly manufactured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Aleph Null posted:

"cis" has nothing to do with to whom you are attracted, nothing at all. It is about your gender identity either matching or not matching the gender you were assigned at birth. If you were assigned male and you identify as male, congratulations, you are cis gendered. If you were assigned female and identify as male, congratulations, you are trans.

Thanks for the explainer. Appreciate it.
Somehow I never thought about it like that and now I feel really stupid. Drrr.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
time to sell off the moon to private industry

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimBridenstine/status/1304049845309669376
https://mobile.twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/1304068200469065728
https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1304066258728554496

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

wait is this saying "if you can get a probe to land on the moon and point to these rocks, e will give you $20k and then go get them ourselves anyway"?

Because I can do that with a $200 laser pointer

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It sounds like a test case. If NASA can buy rocks, they can sell them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
at least laura gets it

trans rights now i dont wanna b discriminated agasint for my choice of datajack or skins

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I am T-3PO, human-cyborg relations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

poo poo yes let's do this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
trans people just keep getting cooler

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Robocop is a trans story

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sounds rad as hell. I think they did this story in GitS

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

we'll eat tires instead of licorice!

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
i just want to walk into a bathroom w/my cyborg eye clearly visible & not have some redneck rear end in a top hat trying to get a peek at my augments bothering me abt shouldnt i take my hydracock to a multiurinal gently caress u randy i kno how to piss

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cyborg eye would be super cool but it would be best if it had picture-in-picture to watch netflix with

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
yah absolutely, ill maybe wait for elon to smooth a few more brains before i am muskchipped but on the whole once its ready give me a computer eye

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I am T 3 H1M-8O

Griz
May 21, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

uh, why is the fire marshall blaming the cable and not the charger?

edit: they go on to actual problems with chargers and a very scary microwave. for the usb thing chargers are not supposed to allow more than the negotiated current either 500mA for normal USB or 5A for USB-C PD. under no circumstance is a USB host/hub supposed to allow more than that, a cable burning up instead of just not working is a charger problem

Amazon used to have all kinds of cheap out-of-spec USB cables where the resistor that's supposed to negotiate current was missing, backwards, wrong size, etc.
https://www.androidauthority.com/bad-usb-cable-671023/

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Please select your gender:

Male
Female
Musk
Bezos
Other:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

wait is this saying "if you can get a probe to land on the moon and point to these rocks, e will give you $20k and then go get them ourselves anyway"?

Because I can do that with a $200 laser pointer

yep

quote:

The requirements we’ve outlined are that a company will collect a small amount of Moon “dirt” or rocks from any location on the lunar surface, provide imagery to NASA of the collection and the collected material, along with data that identifies the collection location, and conduct an “in-place” transfer of ownership of the lunar regolith or rocks to NASA. After ownership transfer, the collected material becomes the sole property of NASA for our use.

NASA’s goal is that the retrieval and transfer of ownership will be completed before 2024. The solicitation creates a full and open competition, not limited to U.S. companies, and the agency may make one or more awards. NASA’s payment is exclusively for the lunar regolith, with any awardee receiving 10 percent at award, 10 percent upon launch, and the remaining 80 percent upon successful completion. The agency will determine retrieval methods for the transferred lunar regolith at a later date.

so NASA is paying companies tens of thousands of dollars to take a close-up photo of a rock or a scoop of soil and then tell NASA "this is your property now". NASA does not have any plans to actually retrieve this property in the foreseeable future, they just want to use this as a test case for extending property rights and resource claims to the moon

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

Earthers get to walk outside into the light, breathe pure air, look up at a blue sky, and see something that gives them hope. And what do they do? They look past that light, past that blue sky. They see the stars, and they think, 'Mine.'

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

we'll eat tires instead of licorice!

I'd already rather!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So lay waste to all we made
From your corporate palisade
You won't automate our roles
If we digitize our souls
A new force will intervene
Half human, half machine
And no enterprise on earth will make us kneel
To your empire of steel

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo shes thinking of transformers

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Recistance is futile

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
lol ofc

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SlaughterPony/status/1304246781153357824?s=20

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Must feel good to know that Ingram reads your posts T-man

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Great, now the idea of a 'part-machine species' is gonna be stuck in my head for a while.

Doctor and parents looking at an ultrasound: "As you can see here, their steel-and-silicon parts are developing well, very healthy. BTW, some crazy loving genes you two have, to make this even remotely possible."

edit: Assigned Cyborg At Birth

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Sep 11, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

That's an lol but what was probably produced and sold was just the locking mechanism, not the gate. It would work fine if attached to a solid door rather than like a garden gate type thing. So basically a property manager bought the lock without ever looking at the gate, and their maintenance guy or outside contractor just didn't give enough of a gently caress to bring it up and went ahead and did the job anyway.

Still funny.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Chomp8645 posted:

That's an lol but what was probably produced and sold was just the locking mechanism, not the gate. It would work fine if attached to a solid door rather than like a garden gate type thing. So basically a property manager bought the lock without ever looking at the gate, and their maintenance guy or outside contractor just didn't give enough of a gently caress to bring it up and went ahead and did the job anyway.

Still funny.

Yeah, poo poo like that happens all the time. Maybe the original door got damaged and needed replacing with bars and they tried to keep the old lock on a new door - you can see someone has fortified the poo poo out of the part that connects it to the wall. Installation guy isn't there to solve their security issues he's there to put the lock on, landlord isn't there to solve security issues he's there to provide the illusion of security.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CoolCab posted:

Yeah, poo poo like that happens all the time. Maybe the original door got damaged and needed replacing with bars and they tried to keep the old lock on a new door - you can see someone has fortified the poo poo out of the part that connects it to the wall. Installation guy isn't there to solve their security issues he's there to put the lock on, landlord isn't there to solve security issues he's there to provide the illusion of security.

Cyberpunk Chabuduo Dystopia.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1304450804238090243

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
cool of landlords to give me something interesting to steal for a change

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cannot verify if this is real but posting anyway (never stop posting imo)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

Cannot verify if this is real but posting anyway (never stop posting imo)

Just the thought of trying to administer serious educational testing by remote gives me a headache. The above is ridiculous of course, but I cannot conceive of a way for it not to be ridiculous without testing losing all integrity. I do not envy teachers, students, or anyone involved. There is no way for it not be a poo poo show.

Hellword is here lmao.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/crowngaurav/status/1304039159871537152

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

drat even Dubai is gonna burn down lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006