Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Wasn't the Robinson Crusoe thing that he designed the game around having a 2:1 ratio of good to bad things and implemented it by creating a 200 card deck with 132 good things and 66 bad things and then he dusted off his hands and shouted :downs:GAME DESIGNED NEXT GAME

Had a Fury of Dracula game where I was Dracula and they kept drawing from the bottom of the deck and I ended up with 8 cards in a row.

"Dracula thanks you for your continued support!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

There's a similar comparison to Bios Megafauna here. Eklund has a predictably insane essay in this game, but one of the design choices he made and points out that there must be enough player agency. The game is "Lamarckian" due to ceding enough control to player power. A "pure" evolutionary game would be out of the players' hands.

Much like Genesis, which is about mitigating that randomness but it's pretty difficult to do so, and the dice tend to rule the game, no matter how many blue and yellow cubes and bionts you have. This makes the likely actual origin of life one of the most difficult to coax into existence...

CommonShore posted:

Wasn't the Robinson Crusoe thing that he designed the game around having a 2:1 ratio of good to bad things and implemented it by creating a 200 card deck with 132 good things and 66 bad things and then he dusted off his hands and shouted :downs:GAME DESIGNED NEXT GAME

The best bit is that he could have kept his drat event cards and just told players to use three good and two bad per game and it would have got closer to fixing the issue Vlaada raised.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's hard to believe that a good exploration/survival boardgame is simply impossible, but every attempt so far seems to be pretty flawed in one way or another: Robinson Crusoe/First Martians, Discover Lands Unknown, 7th Continent, Ravine. I see something called Castaways, but don't know anything about it. Forbidden Island/Desert are fine for kids. I've read that Conquest of Paradise is kinda broken by the random luck of the exploration parts. Is there any really good game in this space?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
What could an exploration based game do to maintain your attention over time when you see all of its tricks when organizing the box?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

It's hard to believe that a good exploration/survival boardgame is simply impossible, but every attempt so far seems to be pretty flawed in one way or another: Robinson Crusoe/First Martians, Discover Lands Unknown, 7th Continent, Ravine. I see something called Castaways, but don't know anything about it. Forbidden Island/Desert are fine for kids. I've read that Conquest of Paradise is kinda broken by the random luck of the exploration parts. Is there any really good game in this space?

Let me tell you about T.I.M.E. Stories!

It's fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A good exploration survival game becomes gloomhaven pretty quickly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nordichammer posted:

What could an exploration based game do to maintain your attention over time when you see all of its tricks when organizing the box?

Tales of Arabian Nights can be played many times without seeing all of the content. Not infinite sure, but you'll usually find something new each time.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

Tainted Grail is probably the most successful exploration/survival game currently "available" (it was a kickstarter). Like 7th continent it uses cards for the map. However, the game takes place on a known landmass and you have a map so you always have a general idea of where you are, and what direction to head if you know where you are going. The exploration aspect comes from encountering new map tiles and learning what you can do in that location. The game comes with a book of encounters that works in a very CYOA fashion. You have the option of siding with different factions in the game and your choices open/close certain paths. The map can also change based on your choices making any potential backtracking a less straight forward endeavor. The survival aspect of the game takes place on a character and world level. Your character has health and energy which you need to manage. Food is a resource in the game that you need each day to recover energy. The world has up to 3 beacons that you can light at a time(this is resource intensive). A beacon allows map tiles that are adjacent to it to be in play The beacons count down each round and when a beacon extinguishes the map tiles adjacent to it go away until it is re-ignited.

That game certainly isn't perfect, but each time I have played it has provided a genuine sense of discovery. The writing is good (excellent for a board game), and the world they've built is a fun twist on the Arthurian legend.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

CommonShore posted:

A good exploration survival game becomes gloomhaven pretty quickly
Speaking of Gloomhaven, I played my first ever session the other week and it felt like we just about scraped through scenario 1 on level 1. I'm looking forward to having the app set up for next time because not having to physically manage the monster and element stuff will be a huge bonus.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Confession: We have been playing Gloomhaven for close to two years now and we never used any kind of App cause I am responsible for the monsters and I like using all the physical components.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Redundant posted:

Speaking of Gloomhaven, I played my first ever session the other week and it felt like we just about scraped through scenario 1 on level 1. I'm looking forward to having the app set up for next time because not having to physically manage the monster and element stuff will be a huge bonus.

My group found the first 2 scenarios to be pretty unforgiving, and we barely scraped through both. After that we've done better and we have yet to fail any of them.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Suddenly Susan posted:

Tainted Grail is probably the most successful exploration/survival game currently "available" (it was a kickstarter).
That game certainly isn't perfect, but each time I have played it has provided a genuine sense of discovery. The writing is good (excellent for a board game), and the world they've built is a fun twist on the Arthurian legend.

Thanks, looks worth checking out. I disagree that these kind of games have to be Gloomhaven to be any good. Something could be done with similar exploration to Mage Knight but without combat being the core gameplay. Maybe a middle ground between Mage Knight and Antiquity.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've read from many places that Tainted Grail becomes a grindfest later on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I seem to recall that Tainted Grail has a digital version as well.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

I seem to recall that Tainted Grail has a digital version as well.

My understanding is that it's an "interpretation" of the boardgame, not a direct translation of it, so I wouldn't *precisely* call it a digital version.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Interesting to know that people in here think highly of Cthulhu: Death May Die as I just kinda fully ignored it as a CMON Kickstarter with an awful name. My wife and I usually really enjoy the semi-narrative coop games like Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition so I might have to actually check this one out.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cthulhu DMD leans heavy on the combat, way more than MoM2e. An order of magnitude more.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Interesting to know that people in here think highly of Cthulhu: Death May Die as I just kinda fully ignored it as a CMON Kickstarter with an awful name. My wife and I usually really enjoy the semi-narrative coop games like Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition so I might have to actually check this one out.

We played it on tabletop sim. It seemed okay, but we all kinda wished we were playing gloomhaven instead

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CaptainRightful posted:

Expedition Northwest Passage is pretty good and it's on boardgamearena.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Radioactive Toy posted:

Yeah I'd completely expected it to be trash but it's a really surprisingly tight design. It is absolutely not a semi narrative game though - it's almost a (deliberate) parody of 'pulp' cthulhu games and is pretty much purely a tactical/combat game.

What sets it apart from other games imo is the speed of character progression and how entertainingly broken some of the player abilities are, and yet the game manages to remain fairly balanced. The power progression feels similar to Spirit Island in that regard, but the whole thing plays in about an hour.

It doesn't beat something like Gloomhaven for depth of tactics but when you want to play a one shot that only lasts sixty minutes and lets you experience the kind of power curve that you might get with a Gloomhaven character that's close to retirement then it's amazing. If you do try it on tts skip the first scenario as imo it's one of the weakest.

It's also worth checking out the SVWAG episode about it cos they loved it as well and weren't expecting to.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stickman posted:

Or are you??? :cthulhu:

I don't know a single person who doesn't leave those cards in the box. Randomly becoming a pyromaniac is fine, but being a traitor ruins the game.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Mansions of Madness has been on my wishlist for ages, but I’ve never been willing to plunk down the cash for it. Still not 100% sure on the app-integrated board game idea as a whole, either.

This might be the year for it because I want to play something co-op and theme-heavy for Halloween.

Death May Die is suddenly on the radar, though. Both sound like they could scratch a similar itch, but not sure which would go over better with the group.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Mansions of Madness has been on my wishlist for ages, but I’ve never been willing to plunk down the cash for it. Still not 100% sure on the app-integrated board game idea as a whole, either.

This might be the year for it because I want to play something co-op and theme-heavy for Halloween.

Death May Die is suddenly on the radar, though. Both sound like they could scratch a similar itch, but not sure which would go over better with the group.

Despite the theming they are very different games. MoM is at its best all about the story and exploration but imo is mechanically pretty weak as you're often making skill checks with fairly small pools of dice which with a bit of bad luck can result in quite a few turns stuck doing not much of anything. It's better than any of the other arkham files games but still quite unsatisfying at times. The story and mood the game creates is great though.

DMD by contrast is all about the gameplay. Many cards have no flavor text at all and those that do it's often just a few words. There's no mood or story to care about, it's all about optimizing your turns, deliberately working to make your characters more insane (which makes them stronger) and working out which combo of special abilities will best suit the needs of the scenario.

All of that to say that for me at least they scratch very different itches.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Given my recent post about not caring that Betrayal is a train wreck of a game system because it creates zany-fun schlocky horror narrative moments, it sounds like MoM is gonna be more appropriate to my tastes this time around.

Everyone is dealing with a lot of extra stress this year, so the kind of “let’s sit down and do math puzzles together”-style gaming has kind of fallen by the wayside in favor of just bullshitting around the table.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

For me, only getting to play online means I got into 18xx, so ymmv I guess. ;)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Target is clearancing Prospero Hall's Top Gun board game. Did someone in here say it was shockingly good?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Redundant posted:

Scenario #1 is tuned to be easier than the average scenario on paper, it's just that with no player experience and weak characters it's harder than it should be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

silvergoose posted:

The problem isn't the randomness, pretty much every coop has that, the problem is whether the game has any consistency of difficulty.

Part of the problem with Pandemic, in fact, is that if you happen to have epidemics right next to each other, or all the blue city cards happen to be at the bottom, you might have a game of it that is legit impossible. Most designers aim to avoid this situation as much as feasible, because it can lead to players not enjoying the experience.

It's not the randomness, it's the variance. If the game's difficulty can vary between easy and impossible with no input from the players, why are you taking actions? Why not just deal event cards and see what happens, and then the game tells you if you won?

Obviously I'm exaggerating...somewhat. But there's enough good games out there that playing a bad game for the experience is super unattractive to me.

Pandemic can run into that problem but it's also worth noting what they attempt to do to minimize it by shuffling an epidemic into each 1/4 of the deck. You can still get screwed but ideally things are paced better in most situations.

Doesn't fix everything, but example like that are good thinks to think about for how to approach the issue in other cases.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Pandemic can run into that problem but it's also worth noting what they attempt to do to minimize it by shuffling an epidemic into each 1/4 of the deck. You can still get screwed but ideally things are paced better in most situations.

Doesn't fix everything, but example like that are good thinks to think about for how to approach the issue in other cases.

Also you can win with 5 of the 12 cards in each color, so even if they're all at the bottom you have 7 turns to make it work. Probably not enough but it's also pretty unlikely to be that bad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

To fix Pandemic play P: Rising Tide with objective cards.

As for Robinson Crusoe, the trick is to never ever play with fewer that four characters. Otherwise you don't have the full set of random BS mitigation tools.
Also, maybe ignore a mechanic or two, like losing health to depression while you get depressed by losing health.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SelenicMartian posted:

As for Robinson Crusoe, the trick is to never ever play with fewer that four characters. Otherwise you don't have the full set of random BS mitigation tools.
Also, maybe ignore a mechanic or two, like losing health to depression while you get depressed by losing health.

I prefer to ignore all the mechanics, and then I play a good game instead.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Scenario #1 is tuned to be easier than the average scenario on paper, it's just that with no player experience and weak characters it's harder than it should be.

Scenario #2 of Gloomhaven is really well designed because it immediately teaches you the importance of pacing and that the game is not about exploring every room and "clearing the level".

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I love the gloomhaven mechanics, but I think they probably work better on a computer than on paper. The steam version is very "early access" but is already a lot of fun

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I kinda want this for a Boardgame table :3: If it is meant for classrooms it means it is nigh indestructible.

https://www.worthingtondirect.com/tables/a60flr-60-flower-black-legs-black-tmold-114-thick-top-activity-table.htm

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I beat this drum a lot but the app integration for Mansions of Madness 2e is super well done. In fact I'd go so far as to say it sets the bar for what app-integrated games should aspire to (and try to improve on, of course.)

The "thing" is that it does state tracking / automation without rules enforcement. Just as a simple example, you are free to adjust monster health at any time, including killing/removing it entirely. Realized you hosed something up? Just make the correction and move on, just as you would without the app. In fact, the app doesn't even care whose turn it is, or even where a player is (it'll just ask if anyone is in the room / within range of 'x' whenever applicable). You will never get a situation where you want to do or change something and the app goes "Uh ERROR it's not your turn!" or something.

This may seem like a weird thing to point out, but despite the app you still mainly play the game on the board, with the pieces.

The app is just there for stepping though the turn phases, revealing the map when you explore (i.e. showing you what tile to put and where), telling you the results of any interactions/searches (not every scenario is the same every time), and telling you what each monster does during the combat resolution. And it does that really, really well.

FFG promptly threw all that they (should have) learned about what makes an app-enabled board game SING out the window when they made their Middle-Earth game :goleft:

e: The other thing I like about the game in general is that it's one of the few games where shaking out the cobwebs is really easy. Like, I've gone back to that game after a long break (you know the feeling, you're opening the box and only like 80% sure how to set up and play) and gotten back up to speed in no time at all, thanks in large part to the app silently taking care of squirmy little setup rules and details that you'd have to look up otherwise.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 12, 2020

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

djfooboo posted:

I kinda want this for a Boardgame table :3: If it is meant for classrooms it means it is nigh indestructible.

https://www.worthingtondirect.com/tables/a60flr-60-flower-black-legs-black-tmold-114-thick-top-activity-table.htm

If it's meant for classrooms it's probably also only knee heigh.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
19-29 inches leg length, so at max it's "normal" table height.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

I love the gloomhaven mechanics, but I think they probably work better on a computer than on paper. The steam version is very "early access" but is already a lot of fun

The card play works great with physical cards. But I finished the campaign and I agree that it would have been better as a video game. The admin/bookkeeping is just bad.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SelenicMartian posted:

I really enjoy Robinson crueso, but I think of it like playing "The lovely Tales of Arabian Nights" where it's a cruel story generator, and then it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

djfooboo posted:

That indented table reminds me, after I cut the hexagon out of my 4'x8' board, I have a leftover piece with this angle cut out of it.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1299897505669427201/photo/1
(That extra piece cut out on the left)

I will probably just cut it down to 3' and have another 4'x3' topper, but I was wondering if there's any reason I should leave those side angle pieces for the weird indent? Like, some kind of DM's position where they have some weird extra table space around them?