Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MachuPikacchu posted:

I think my favorite part of this episode was when Badgey couldn't stop threatening to kill Rutherford even as he lay dying in his arms, slowly succumbing to the cold as it sapped away his (virtual) life force.

Don't forget the absurdity of Rutherford reaching around and snapping Badgey's neck, except he doesn't have a neck so he just kinda bends him into a twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Great episode, was Badgey’s final ”Diplomatic immunity!” A Lethal Weapon 2 reference?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Nestorix posted:

Great episode, was Badgey’s final ”Diplomatic immunity!” A Lethal Weapon 2 reference?

It had to be, though I'm unsure of what the point was, unless the point was to get me to mutter "it's just been revoked" at the tv and confuse my wife.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Payndz posted:

I've never seen Rick & Morty, but the more I hear about it the less I want to. It just sounds appallingly cynical and nihilistic and cruel and "oh, does this OFFEND you?" :smug: edge-lordy. (Twentysomething me would probably have loved it, but now...)

It's more like 'gently caress it life is pointless let's have fun' cynical. Totally different tonality than LDS

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One of the reasons I stopped watching R&M is because several of the main characters are just huge pieces of poo poo, and it just wasn't fun to watch. Haha! The wacky alcoholic old man made his daughter cry again! Lol get it, he hates his family but secretly cares for them! It just bummed me out after a while.

LDS has some similarities in terms of the rapid-fire jokes and such (though R&M is far from the only example of that kind of humor), but tonally the shows are like polar opposites.

e: beaten, drat your eyes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AntherUslessPoster posted:

It's more like 'gently caress it life is pointless let's have fun' cynical.

It absolutely is not. It’s “life is cruel and pointless and anything but hedonistic self interest and complete disregard for others is stupid even though it makes you miserable but hey at least you’re not dumb like those happy people right”.

Dan Harmon is a miserable son of a bitch.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phylodox posted:

It absolutely is not. It’s “life is cruel and pointless and anything but hedonistic self interest and complete disregard for others is stupid even though it makes you miserable but hey at least you’re not dumb like those happy people right”.

Dan Harmon is a miserable son of a bitch.

It is a cynical and meanspirited show, but it doesn't endorse Rick's worldview either. If there's a criticism to be made of it, it's that it presents bleakly absurd take on existence, asks all these question about morality, our role in the world etc and then doesn't even really try and provide an answer to them. Mines some good jokes out of it though

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

multijoe posted:

It is a cynical and meanspirited show, but it doesn't endorse Rick's worldview either.

It kind of definitely does, though. Rick, though absolutely miserable, is almost always shown to be right. Those who are happy and find purpose are shown to be dumb, oblivious, or willfully ignoring reality’s harsh truth, and usually suffer awful consequences (also usually at the hands of Rick).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mariner has exactly the same 'gently caress rules' attitude that Rick does, except while R&M routinely punishes Rick and shows that there's a cost to having that attitude, Lower Decks routinely rewards Mariner.

e: ^^ you are missing the point. Rick is someone who will always choose to be Right over being Happy and the show absolutely does not endorse the idea that Rick is a good person for making that choice or that it is a choice you should make.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 11, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah, Mariner breaks the rules but remains within the framework of Starfleet morals. Rick is just a lovely nihilist.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ you are missing the point. Rick is someone who will always choose to be Right over being Happy and the show absolutely does not endorse the idea that Rick is a good person for making that choice or that it is a choice you should make.

The show doesn’t say you’re a good person, but it definitely posits that it’s the only intellectually honest choice. What alternative does the show present to us? Jerry? The ineffectual, self-deluded buffoon who is emasculated at almost every turn, not just by Rick, but by the nature of existence itself? Like, yeah, Rick is miserable and everyone is sick of his poo poo, but the show almost never deviates from the idea that, as sick of his poo poo as they are, everyone has to begrudgingly admit that he’s right.

Nothing about Rick and Morty is nihilistic in the “nothing matters so live life the way you want!” way. It’s nihilistic in a cynical, grating, miserable way. Yeah, it’s got the occasional good gag, but the underpinning is just such a heavy, empty slog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like the Troy and Abed style handshake Mariner and Boimler did with Vulcan salutes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Phylodox posted:

such a heavy, empty slog.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah it's a massively centrist show that basically says 'every outcome is bad', but it is no kinder to Rick's know-it-all nihilism than it is Jerry's absurd self-satisfaction. As I said, the real criticism of the show is that it doesn't commit to making any positive statement about the subject matter it raises and just revels in the shittiness of its scenarios.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

It’s really frustrating this is what TV has become.
Did you watch, for example, The Good Place? Walking Dead? Expanse?

You sound like you've only watched like 3 things and judged "television" based on that, in other words you sound like you're saying something really dumb

There's room for different kinds of shows, especially different kinds of humor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Who could have imagined that The Burn was actually the culmination of a centuries old debate about the humour of Lower Decks :O

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Who could have imagined that The Burn was actually the culmination of a centuries old debate about the humour of Lower Decks :O

I mean...it’s not so much a debate as it is Super Deuce popping up once a week to scream incoherently into the void.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

multijoe posted:

it is no kinder to Rick's know-it-all nihilism than it is Jerry's absurd self-satisfaction.

Rick gets to be the cool immortal know-it-all science god with a hidden base and spaceship, and Jerry is... Jerry. Sure the show makes "oh but he's unhappy" stabs every now any then, but it's got more interest in glorifying Rick than tearing him down.

The message of Pickle Rick is that therapy actually works/makes Rick happy, but most of the episode is dedicated to making Rick look as cool as possible in an absurdist ott way.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's kinda funny and weird that it looks like Fletcher plugging himself in to that core thing gave him some kind of brain damage, because he's considerably dumber and more belligerent afterward.

It's not resolved, either - I assumed at first they were going to plug him back into the core and re-download the missing parts of his mind, or something like that, but instead they just fob him off on another ship. Fletcher really does seem like he was a good guy who looked out for his friends and resolved conflicts before the incident, and Boimler and Mariner don't even seem to fully grasp what's happened to him before they cut him loose.

Also, I wasn't entirely sure that Rutherford had a thing for Tendi before now, so I guess this clears that up. They're nice and their geeking out over tech stuff is fun, I hope it works out.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i like lower decks a lot

"my dad was a cyborg :) :)"

the actual main cast is really sweet n cool too

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well drat, I'm enjoying Lower Decks. It's charming, and the pace is greatly slowed down from the trailer. Still a bit frenetic in places but they seem to have read some discussion forums and got down TNG-era humor. When Boimler appeared in front of a bored audience with a crystal violin I was losing my poo poo, that's every "cultural" performance in TNG

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder how many episodes were in the can before they aired. If they had a chance to adjust the humour based on feedback it would be a great move.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I mean...it’s not so much a debate as it is Super Deuce popping up once a week to scream incoherently into the void.

Isn't that the hallmark of every great Star Trek villain though?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I wonder how many episodes were in the can before they aired. If they had a chance to adjust the humour based on feedback it would be a great move.

Most modern animated TV has like a 9 month production cycle from start of work on an episode to airing it.

I suspect it wouldn't be practical to make significant changes to S1 episodes based on feedback once they started airing...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

On a typical animation production schedule, nearly all of them were probably in the can ages ago. Scripting, storyboarding, and voice recording would have taken place first sometime last year, with the actual animating taking the longest.

I know they bumped the premier date up by two months, which caught the team off guard, but I’m assuming they were only still polishing their VFX work on the final episode or two.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Isn't that the hallmark of every great Star Trek villain though?

References are the fire in which we burn.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Phylodox posted:

References are the fire in which we burn.

you can tell this is an odd joke

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quinton posted:

Most modern animated TV has like a 9 month production cycle from start of work on an episode to airing it.

I suspect it wouldn't be practical to make significant changes to S1 episodes based on feedback once they started airing...

HD DAD posted:

On a typical animation production schedule, nearly all of them were probably in the can ages ago. Scripting, storyboarding, and voice recording would have taken place first sometime last year, with the actual animating taking the longest.

I know they bumped the premier date up by two months, which caught the team off guard, but I’m assuming they were only still polishing their VFX work on the final episode or two.

Good to know. I figured it was quite a bit but I thought maybe they'd figure out a way to get lead times down depending on how much of it is hand-drawn vs stock'd stuff that's easy to manipulate etc. I know nothing about animation production so good lesson :)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The latest episode really dialled back the manic "everything must happen at turbo speed GAG after GAG after GAG!" pace of the first couple of episodes, and for the better. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an internal appraisal once the initial eps were mostly finished, and they realised they could get away with chilling out a bit.

(Watch the next episode return to the original punch-you-in-the-eyes hysterical pacing.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ehhhh... maintain course?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Bloop posted:

Did you watch, for example, The Good Place? Walking Dead? Expanse?

You sound like you've only watched like 3 things and judged "television" based on that, in other words you sound like you're saying something really dumb

There's room for different kinds of shows, especially different kinds of humor.
The Walking Dead is a horrible example to bring up if you want to illustrate “good tv”. The pilot was great. Everything after was terrible. The Good Place is lit as if it’s on the sun like every other network sitcom of the last decade making it actually give me a headache to watch. The Expanse I haven’t gotten to, yet.

Phylodox posted:

As opposed to acting like a member of the CBS PR team because Lower Decks can do no wrong? Plugging your ears and refusing to acknowledge any criticism because a couple words in a post may be controversial opinions about it?

Oh and the Pickle Rick episode which is one of the worst because of the things mentioned... the episode Mike McMahon won an Emmy for some how.

Rick and Morty and Lower Decks have similarities. Though the biggest difference is Rick and Morty is a show not self referencing things to make no sense. There are actual written jokes. The references are of other things or of their own experiences, not whatever fan service you guys need to clap at to feel involved with a television show.

“Haha I remember Moriarty! Rutherford you jewel!”

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

As opposed to acting like a member of the CBS PR team because Lower Decks can do no wrong? Plugging your ears and refusing to acknowledge any criticism because a couple words in a post may be controversial opinions about it?

No one is doing this, and you're acting like a crazy person

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Love to read essays on how a throwaway line is a sign that show = Tumblr, keeps things fresh among the sea of CBS PR brown-nosers ITT

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Not like there was a ton of valid early criticisms that other people were able to articulate without going "lol only my dumb kid brother would watch this show" or anything. Or that a lot of these criticisms are being addressed as the show finds its footing. No sir.

e: but I guess the guy who posts exclusively in the Bill Maher and Game of Thrones threads is here to show us the error of our ways and guide us to better quality television, good thing

e2: the Good Place snipe made me genuinely laugh out loud, hmm yesss why would a show that's literally "demons make a fake, overly-saccharine version of heaven" be excessively bright

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We were dreading another terrible show and it's decently watchable for once, maybe it's a bit referential but it's got some charm. I'm trying to take what I can get with the Trek property at this point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Payndz posted:

I've never seen Rick & Morty, but the more I hear about it the less I want to. It just sounds appallingly cynical and nihilistic and cruel and "oh, does this OFFEND you?" :smug: edge-lordy. (Twentysomething me would probably have loved it, but now...)

Rick and Morty is good. It's nothing at all like Lower Decks and a lot of the internet fans are dumb, but neither of those matter.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I've really warmed up to Mariner this episode and the last, which makes Lower Decks much more fun to watch. She kind of came off as Ensign Rick at the start, which doesn't fit in Star Trek but I feel like they figured out how to fit her into the generally positive, optimistic energy of Trek.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Arquinsiel posted:

ETA: in the beta-canon autobiography of Picard he says that he and Dr Crusher agreed to invite Q to their wedding because if they hadn't then he'd just have shown up anyway. Then there's a footnote from Q saying that they're right, he would have. Then there's an footnote from the editor saying they don't know how the previous footnote got into the document, and they can't get it out.

Not hugely thread-relevant, but can I mention that I love jokes like this? A fond memory is Gremlins II, which has a sequence where the Gremlins take over the projection of the movie -- on home video, it was a whole different sequence about them taking control of the television station, and in the novelization, it was a passage written by the Brain Gremlin, about how he had tied up the author of the novelization and critiquing the writing to that point.

Simple fourth-wall jokes are kind of lazy; complicated fourth-wall jokes are great.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Not like there was a ton of valid early criticisms that other people were able to articulate without going "lol only my dumb kid brother would watch this show" or anything. Or that a lot of these criticisms are being addressed as the show finds its footing. No sir.

e: but I guess the guy who posts exclusively in the Bill Maher and Game of Thrones threads is here to show us the error of our ways and guide us to better quality television, good thing

e2: the Good Place snipe made me genuinely laugh out loud, hmm yesss why would a show that's literally "demons make a fake, overly-saccharine version of heaven" be excessively bright

Snipe? It has the same lighting every other bad sitcom has had for the past decade. I don’t care if it is more applicable to that show if it’s terrible to begin with. Also yea, you are one of the people whom keeps plugging your ears to criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Snipe? It has the same lighting every other bad sitcom has had for the past decade. I don’t care if it is more applicable to that show if it’s terrible to begin with. Also yea, you are one of the people whom keeps plugging your ears to criticism.

Just let it go dude, you said your piece. There's no reason to hang around in a thread just to tell repeatedly everyone else they're wrong for enjoying it.