Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Kikas posted:

You either go into the Steam VR dashboard on you headset and click settings (little cog in the bottom right) or, when the headset is on, open the "options" menu from the VR app itself. Then you just go to General/Video and change "render resolution" from auto to custom:

Also note that in most games you need to actually relaunch the executable for it to have any effect. Wish I knew that beforehand.

I hate that interface so goddamn much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Spikes32 posted:

Is there a list somewhere of good games we should get specific to the oculus store before we start loading games through the computer? So far we have beat saber and pistol whip.

Stormland - Shooter game. Fun, but a little shallow.
Asgard's Wrath - Visually fantastic RPG. Leans more toward traditional gameplay elements rather than VR so it has a fair share of detractors.
Robo Recall - Arcadey robot shooty game. Still holds up well despite how teleport locomotion upsets goons.
Lone Echo - Zero-G adventure game. One of my favorites.
The Climb VR - Mountain climbing. It's alright I guess, but it is very... unique.
From Other Suns - An alright co-op rogue-like space FPS. Ship based battles are very simple and limited, which is sad.
Wilson's Heart - Narrative mystery thriller / horror game. Is generally highly regarded.
Brass Tactics - RTS game.

Gamepad games (no motion controls):

Chronos - 3rd person lite souls-like. Prequel to Remnant: From the Ashes. Near and dear to many who have played it.
Edge of Nowhere - 3rd person horror adventure.
Lucky’s Tale - Decent platformer. Is free.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

You either go into the Steam VR dashboard on you headset and click settings (little cog in the bottom right) or, when the headset is on, open the "options" menu from the VR app itself. Then you just go to General/Video and change "render resolution" from auto to custom:

Interesting how having also a Quest like you, my SteamVr puts the 100% mark in another location:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nalin posted:

Lucky’s Tale - Decent platformer. Is free.

It's 15€ for me :P.

I would recommend Stormland, Lone Echo, Echo VR, Robo Recall and Shadow Point. Also check the free experiences like Henry and Wolves in the Walls.

---

I tried today Stride and I was impressed. Right now it's in EA so it only has endless mode, but the important thing is that the core mechanics are super solid. Running, vaulting, wall running, sliding, firing, and avoiding enemy snipers, using the hook, sliding down a rope... it was all easy to understand, easy to execute individually and fun. The challenge of course will be in chaining everything without losing momentum and on the the first try. The only iffy thing was how to jump. Well, it was easy as the rest but you will need a bit of practice until the memory muscle kicks in.

It's also a physical exercise type of game, between moving the arms up and down to run, jumping, crouching for the slide, doing side movements to avoid snipers, etc, you will get sweating after a while.

Oh yeah before I forget. One month ago or so I wrote some impression of Swarm. One of my problems then was the difficulty, but the dev has implemented easy/normal/hard modes since then.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 10, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

whats would be the target custom resolution per eye on a Rift S since its one 2560×1440 screen? just halve it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48B-F844oY

New Ubi VR game! and it looks interesting. Space exploration + survival?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 10, 2020

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Is there a reason that HL Alyx ran almost perfectly on my earlier, shittier hardware, and now that I'm upgraded I get the weird jittering poo poo constantly when I run it?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Deeturbomber posted:

Is there a reason that HL Alyx ran almost perfectly on my earlier, shittier hardware, and now that I'm upgraded I get the weird jittering poo poo constantly when I run it?

Are you using oculus link? A recent update lets you set quality profiles for the streaming, only the default 'automatic' setting is, in their own words 'aggressive', which I'm guessing means pushes a little too hard in the graphical quality direction. But maybe try tweaking those settings via the Oculus app on your pc.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Deeturbomber posted:

When I upgraded to a new video card Steam VR auto set a bunch of poo poo really high, definitely check you aren't pushing crazy resolutions in the SteamVR settings.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lemming posted:

ECHO

ARENAAAAAAAAAAA

Are there goons who play this together? I did the tutorial the other day and then when it put my in the social space there were a couple young children playing playing around and I just left. I guess I could go back in and mute everyone by default? Idk something about the physicality of vr games makes playing it with kids feel fuckin weird.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there goons who play this together? I did the tutorial the other day and then when it put my in the social space there were a couple young children playing playing around and I just left. I guess I could go back in and mute everyone by default? Idk something about the physicality of vr games makes playing it with kids feel fuckin weird.

They recently had a pretty big social update with the official quest launch:

https://medium.com/echo-games-blog/echo-vr-quest-launch-c67f506066cc

Hopefully the social lobby mitigates the kid issue a bit, or you could select the quiet option to make it so you don't need to worry about listening to other people

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stan Taylor posted:

I really enjoyed the bits of Echo Arena that I played, what drove me away was just feeling so useless in the game. Everyone was really nice, and happy to give advice, but I really hate playing team games and being the worst player.

Now that they've added bots I really need to go back and try it again, might actually manage to get enough practice that I feel ok playing the real multiplayer.

My new worry is that the controls are going to suck playing it on an Index with revive.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

The Grumbles posted:

Are you using oculus link? A recent update lets you set quality profiles for the streaming, only the default 'automatic' setting is, in their own words 'aggressive', which I'm guessing means pushes a little too hard in the graphical quality direction. But maybe try tweaking those settings via the Oculus app on your pc.

Nuts and Gum posted:

When I upgraded to a new video card Steam VR auto set a bunch of poo poo really high, definitely check you aren't pushing crazy resolutions in the SteamVR settings.

I use VD mostly, I'm on Quest. I also use the upscale hack, but that hasn't affected any performance elsewhere. Every other game seems fine, it's just Alyx that seems to glitch like crazy on me. Even if I pop it down to the lowest settings.

EDIT: I've used Link before, but it's somehow glitchier than VD is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deeturbomber posted:

I use VD mostly, I'm on Quest. I also use the upscale hack, but that hasn't affected any performance elsewhere. Every other game seems fine, it's just Alyx that seems to glitch like crazy on me. Even if I pop it down to the lowest settings.

EDIT: I've used Link before, but it's somehow glitchier than VD is.

You probably need to check your supersampling settings, like in that image someone posted a little bit earlier. That's the thing where it checks what your video card is and sets it to some value based on that, so if you upgraded that then it might be defaulting it to a supersampling value that's way too high

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Anyone know anything about AGOS? ..just saw this trailer and it looks like it might be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJho00HmDo

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

whats would be the target custom resolution per eye on a Rift S since its one 2560×1440 screen? just halve it?

Whatever you want to set it to.

"100%" usually refers to the resolution at which pixels at the center of the image are 1:1 between the target resolution and the physical screen. That depends on the lenses, but for the original Rift and Vive to get that you needed a target resolution that was roughly 1.4x the panel resolution. If the Rift S lenses are similar that would suggest that the "100%" resolution would be 2000px high, just like the Quest examples posted above.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tip posted:

My new worry is that the controls are going to suck playing it on an Index with revive.

It feels very "off" on Index. I couldn't get my throws to feel anything approaching consistent, even after hours of practice. Before, on Touch, it came right to me and felt great. YMMV but it's so bad for me that I've stopped playing it, even though it's my favorite non-sim VR game :(

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Isometric Bacon posted:

Also note that in most games you need to actually relaunch the executable for it to have any effect. Wish I knew that beforehand.

I hate that interface so goddamn much.

You do not need to reboot any games to adjust supersampling in SteamVR through the SteamVR UI. The supersampling is being done at a different layer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

It feels very "off" on Index. I couldn't get my throws to feel anything approaching consistent, even after hours of practice. Before, on Touch, it came right to me and felt great. YMMV but it's so bad for me that I've stopped playing it, even though it's my favorite non-sim VR game :(

I've personally found it to work well, you just have to fling them like you're actually throwing a frisbee and open your hand wide quickly in a way that feels really scary to do while "holding" a controller, if that makes sense?

Also [HUMANS] the new [JOB] expansion for Vacation Simulator is out [CURRENT DATE] :awesomelon:

Thoatse posted:

Anyone know anything about AGOS? ..just saw this trailer and it looks like it might be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJho00HmDo

Completely new reveal, so doubtful unless someone here works on it :v:. It's great to see Ubisoft still want to make VR games though.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

rage-saq posted:

You do not need to reboot any games to adjust supersampling in SteamVR through the SteamVR UI. The supersampling is being done at a different layer.

See that's what I thought, it certainly did that with my own developed Unity apps when I used to do it for work with a Vive Pro, but lately with Alyx and my Qurst that certainly hasn't been the case.

Though come to think of it, perhaps it is a Oculus Link / Virtual Desktop with a quest thing. I also get the incorrect 100% resolution issue someone mentioned earlier.

I also get the lovely jittery Half Life Alyx performance mentioned earlier as well, also after a hardware upgrade that should be more than capable of handling it. My question to the affected - do you have a AMD card and a Quest? My best guess it is that combo and something to do with the video card hardware encoding the video stream. I simply gave up and stopped playing it eventually.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Has anyone seen any details on the Reverb G2 connectivity? My understanding is it uses USB-C and standard Displayport - im assuming that means it needs both, not "you dont need the Displayport connection if you have Thunderbolt USB-C"?

Thats going to be a dealbreaker for me if so as i already use the one USB-C port on my laptop with an adaptor to get a Displayport connection :(

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Alyx's performance is somewhat compromised by how many different settings you have to worry about in SteamVR and how Alyx itself has different fidelity settings that are adjusted automatically based on your framerate. This blog post provides a good overview of how things are changing under the hood and how you really just want to set the SteamVR resoltion at 100%, disable motion smoothing (especially if you're using teleportation), make sure the game-specific settings are at 100% and only then start lowering settings if you find the FPS dipping below the target/you're getting a blurry image.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Brownie posted:

Alyx's performance is somewhat compromised by how many different settings you have to worry about in SteamVR and how Alyx itself has different fidelity settings that are adjusted automatically based on your framerate. This blog post provides a good overview of how things are changing..

Stuff like this drives me nuts. I mean it's fantastic you have all this clever runtime dynamic resolution switching and are swapping textures and AA settings on the fly, but it makes it really hard to troubleshoot what is going wrong, especially when you have an additional software layer on top of it with SteamVR doing its own thing (and in my case, the Oculus software layer on-top of that!)

At some point I'll go back and try to get Alyx performant again, but adding even more complexity is the fact that my AMD drivers only seem to work with the Quest if I use 6+ month old drivers, adding yet another layer of complexity to the whole thing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've personally found it to work well, you just have to fling them like you're actually throwing a frisbee and open your hand wide quickly in a way that feels really scary to do while "holding" a controller, if that makes sense?

Which is also a problem, because when I throw the disc hard, the controller shifts in my hands, unless I have it strapped so tight that it's uncomfortable.

Not gonna type up the rant again, but the Index finger sensor gimmick is garbage and I'd trade it for a grip button any day, allowing me to keep a few fingers gripped around the controller while throwing stuff. The headset is great, but gently caress these controllers.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I can’t remember the last time I saw an obnoxious kid in the lobby in Echo Arena since the update, works pretty well keeping them out. The new rooms only work for the lobby though - games don’t group you by lobby type.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Which is also a problem, because when I throw the disc hard, the controller shifts in my hands, unless I have it strapped so tight that it's uncomfortable.

Not gonna type up the rant again, but the Index finger sensor gimmick is garbage and I'd trade it for a grip button any day, allowing me to keep a few fingers gripped around the controller while throwing stuff. The headset is great, but gently caress these controllers.

With you.
Hate my index controllers.
CV1 Touch for life.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a good list of the 'must have' mods for Blade & Sorcery? I know sorting by most popular is typically a decent barometer but was just curious if people had any opinions.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Spikes32 posted:

So I hate fb, but the oculus quest was too good to pass up now that the bf is working in vr stuff. We're planning on getting a good computer to link up and play some better games. Is there a list somewhere of good games we should get specific to the oculus store before we start loading games through the computer? So far we have beat saber and pistol whip.

Also, any recomendations for rechargeable battery setups for the controllers?

Unless IKEA changed their batteries, their "LADDA" series are supposed to be bascially Eneloop quality. Double check this though as it was a while back that I did the research and bought.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've received an email from Oculu, now developer accounts have to be verified in
https://dashboard.oculus.com/verify/, they have to be associated with a phone or payment system.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Unless IKEA changed their batteries, their "LADDA" series are supposed to be bascially Eneloop quality. Double check this though as it was a while back that I did the research and bought.

I did some research when deciding which ones to buy, and I found a pair of sites with comparisons and battery tests that said how there were a pair that was as good or better than Eneloops. One of them were Energizer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

I did some research when deciding which ones to buy, and I found a pair of sites with comparisons and battery tests that said how there were a pair that was as good or better than Eneloops. One of them were Energizer.

I got a set of LADDAs maybe a year ago and they're very good, last forever in my Odyssey.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXQNY6rve8

Project Farm did some tests where this is the latest follow up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, I haven't actually seen this one somehow. Pretty impressive how well they held up to being charged by the lovely solar lights for a year.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I've received an email from Oculu, now developer accounts have to be verified in
https://dashboard.oculus.com/verify/, they have to be associated with a phone or payment system.

Ah, this automatically verifies if you have bought something on the store, since it remebers your credit card details.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

Ah, this automatically verifies if you have bought something on the store, since it remebers your credit card details.

Yep, I barely had to click continue and that's it. I guess it's a minimum deterrence for pirates who won't buy anything.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Brownie posted:

Alyx's performance is somewhat compromised by how many different settings you have to worry about in SteamVR and how Alyx itself has different fidelity settings that are adjusted automatically based on your framerate. This blog post provides a good overview of how things are changing under the hood and how you really just want to set the SteamVR resoltion at 100%, disable motion smoothing (especially if you're using teleportation), make sure the game-specific settings are at 100% and only then start lowering settings if you find the FPS dipping below the target/you're getting a blurry image.

Just read the article and this explains so much. Especially how performance shits the bed once a hacking hologram appears.
Gotta force fidelity myself then.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Turin Turambar posted:

Sidequest is working with them as well, and in order to use Sidequest you will need a verified account,

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

The rule of thumb is that if they're made in Japan, they're almost certainly made in the same factory as Eneloops using a similar or identical process

Eneloops are also made in China now though, so not being made in Japan doesn't necessarily mean they're not Eneloops

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Kikas posted:

Just read the article and this explains so much. Especially how performance shits the bed once a hacking hologram appears.
Gotta force fidelity myself then.

I do wish it was easier in general to just tell SteamVR to target half the headset's refresh rate instead of having frame times bouncing all the time. I feel like my PC would have no problem hitting 60 or 72 FPS, but it definitely struggles with 90 or 120 at times just due to my weaker CPU. And at 80/90 Hz, missing the target and momentarily dropping to 40/45 is just so much more noticeable than consistent reprojection at 60 or 72 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brownie posted:

I do wish it was easier in general to just tell SteamVR to target half the headset's refresh rate instead of having frame times bouncing all the time. I feel like my PC would have no problem hitting 60 or 72 FPS, but it definitely struggles with 90 or 120 at times just due to my weaker CPU. And at 80/90 Hz, missing the target and momentarily dropping to 40/45 is just so much more noticeable than consistent reprojection at 60 or 72 fps.

I mean, you can... you can choose 120 or 90. But... you really don't want to force 60 on an HMD. That's not fast enough to be comfortable.

I guess if you can live with constant reprojection, but I find it really distracting and if consistent eventually uncomfortable.