Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

How do dual faced cards work on Arena? If I have one in my hand will the opponent be able to see the backside of the card?

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

How do dual faced cards work on Arena? If I have one in my hand will the opponent be able to see the backside of the card?

To actually answer your question, I assume they will look the same as the Amonkhet X to X cards, and you'll see the front side naturally but both sides side by side when you hover.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

No, you play with opaque sleeves on Arena

its ok, if you don't have sleeves you get to use the checklist card

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Assume all cards in Arena are simply sleeved in a card sleeve that looks like the back of a Magic the Gathering card unless you are playing with an alternative cardback.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

P.S. gently caress Ugin.

I drafted a god awful U/B deck after p1p1 Ugin and I was so sad until g1 where all I did was block and draw extra cards until I hit 8 lands and draw him the same turn, windmill slammed him onto the table with only teferi's 2/3 to protect him and 3 turns later I got the concession. To be fair I'm in the goober leagues and I would RTD on my OP misusing it somehow too. poo poo is bananas

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
New MTG arena income source: cards in your collection degrade from mint, to near mint, to lightly played, to moderately played, to heavily played based on the number of times the card is shuffled while in your deck.

Once a card becomes heavily played, you have a 1% chance of having a deck check every arena match, losing your game due to marked cards, and being forced to board the card out.

Spending a wildcard to buy a new copy of the card resets its condition.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Devor posted:

New MTG arena income source: cards in your collection degrade from mint, to near mint, to lightly played, to moderately played, to heavily played based on the number of times the card is shuffled while in your deck.

Once a card becomes heavily played, you have a 1% chance of having a deck check every arena match, losing your game due to marked cards, and being forced to board the card out.

Spending a wildcard to buy a new copy of the card resets its condition.

No thanks, I’m going to buy the new sleeve season pass.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

dragon enthusiast posted:

rules question, since mdfcs mostly only exist as the front face in most zones, how do they interact with cards that let move or play stuff from different zones? Examples:

1) growth spiral says you may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield, that means you can’t choose a mdfc land?
2) rampant growth effects put a land directly onto the battlefield from your library, can you put the back face of a pathway this way?
3) impulse effects that let you temporarily cast a card from exile, can you play the back half?

If you have an ability that lets you 'play' them, or 'cast' if they weren't all lands (i.e lands can only be played, not cast), you can do so for either side. In all other cases they're the front side only.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lancelot posted:

I think the answer is (1) no, you don't have a land card in your hand, (2) see 1, (3) yes, if you can play from exile (or graveyard) then you can choose either half.

So Uro doesn't work (it asks you to put a land card in your hand onto the battlefield, but you can't as it's not a land card in your hand) but Explore does (it says you can play an additional land this turn, and you can play the MDFC as a land).

Some more scenarios, let's see if I understand them right.

1) You have Crucible of Worlds in play. An MDFC that's a spell on the front side can't be played from the graveyard. An MDFC that's a land on both sides can be played as either side.

2) You have Future Sight in play and an MDFC on top of your library. You can play it as either side, no matter the types.

3) You have flipped Jace and use his -3 targeting an MDFC. You can cast the front half, but can't play it as a land (because Jace's ability lets you cast, not play.

4) Hedonist's Trove says:
"You may play lands from among cards exiled with Hedonist’s Trove.
You may cast spells from among cards exiled with Hedonist’s Trove. You can’t cast more than one spell this way each turn."

If an MDFC with a spell on the front side is exiled, you can only cast the front side.
If an MDFC with a land on both sides is exiled, you can use your land drop to play either side.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Dual faced cards in arena are three sided

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

open your mind to the 3rd side and embrace 4D chess magic

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nibble posted:

Some more scenarios, let's see if I understand them right.

1) You have Crucible of Worlds in play. An MDFC that's a spell on the front side can't be played from the graveyard. An MDFC that's a land on both sides can be played as either side.

2) You have Future Sight in play and an MDFC on top of your library. You can play it as either side, no matter the types.

3) You have flipped Jace and use his -3 targeting an MDFC. You can cast the front half, but can't play it as a land (because Jace's ability lets you cast, not play.

4) Hedonist's Trove says:
"You may play lands from among cards exiled with Hedonist’s Trove.
You may cast spells from among cards exiled with Hedonist’s Trove. You can’t cast more than one spell this way each turn."

If an MDFC with a spell on the front side is exiled, you can only cast the front side.
If an MDFC with a land on both sides is exiled, you can use your land drop to play either side.

1. No, you can play the land side. You cannot play the spell side

2. Correct

3. That, and the land side is not an instant or a sorcery.

4. You can play either side regardless

wizards posted:

Playing with Modal Double-Faced Cards

To determine whether it is legal to play a modal double-faced card, consider only the characteristics of the face you're playing and ignore the other face's characteristics. For example, you can cast Sejiri Shelter if you've already played a land for the turn, and you can play Sejiri Glacier even if an effect stops you from casting instant spells.

If an effect allows you to play a specific modal double-faced card, you may cast it as a spell or play it as a land, as determined by which face you choose to play. If an effect allows you to cast (rather than "play") a specific modal double-faced card, you can't play it as a land.

If an effect allows you to play a land or cast a spell from among a group of cards, you may play or cast a modal double-faced card with any face that fits the criteria of that effect. For example, if Sejiri Shelter / Sejiri Glacier is in your graveyard and an effect allows you to play lands from your graveyard, you could play Sejiri Glacier. That effect doesn't allow you to cast Sejiri Shelter.

The converted mana cost of a modal double-faced card is based on the characteristics of the face that's being considered. On the stack and battlefield, consider whichever face is up. In all other zones, consider only the front face. This is different than how the converted mana cost of a transforming double-faced card is determined.

A modal double-faced card can't be transformed or be put onto the battlefield transformed. Ignore any instruction to transform a modal double-faced card or to put one onto the battlefield transformed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Duel Masters already did this and i 100% believe its gonna happen in magic one day

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

skip three. take us right to the four sided cards. hypercards. i'm ready.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dual sided cards that transform Kamigawa style on both sides

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Silhouette posted:

Dual sided cards that transform Kamigawa style on both sides

eric_mind_blown.gif

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Release one of these in black border

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/thetiutangclan/status/1304199807423180800?s=21

https://twitter.com/martinjuza/status/1304221808581849090?s=21

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Magic is finally dead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Release one of these in black border

Instant speed land destruction? too pushed, try again R&D

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Never thought I'd be nostalgic for Wrecking Ball, but here we are.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Decks of the current top 8 of the tournament:
Rakdos Arcanist
Mono-green planeswalkers
Mono-black gift
Jund Citadel
Sultai midrange
Jund Sacrifice
Rakdos Goblins
Rakdos Sacrifice

Seems pretty good to me.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 11, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

this mf chose to play Goblins lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

does Martin know this is a historic tournament?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

By the way, I really like the way Rakdos Arcanist seems to play.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

YggdrasilTM posted:

By the way, I really like the way Rakdos Arcanist seems to play.
:same: Even when I'm losing to it, it's pretty entertaining. I wish more decks were like rakdos arcanist in that way.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cheap spells, effective creatures, lots of interaction. Rakdos Pyromancer is pure mtg imo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

skip three. take us right to the four sided cards. hypercards. i'm ready.
You are educated stupid. The real answer is Modal Single-Faced Cards

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people that chose to just jam goblins because:

a) a moron like me recognized that it's not very well positioned in the meta
b) its an absolute loving boring slog to play.

*in an extremely DJ Khalid voice* congratulations, you played yourself

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
its not a good thing that decks are devoting half their sideboard to goblins

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
format feels great tbh and those two just seem burned out in general from the last year and not this specific event. Lots of interesting Magic is going on and people are being rewarded for playing well

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

YggdrasilTM posted:

Decks of the current top 8 of the tournament:
Rakdos Arcanist
Mono-green planeswalkers
Mono-black gift
Jund Citadel
Sultai midrange
Jund Sacrifice
Rakdos Goblins
Rakdos Sacrifice

Seems pretty good to me.

They're going to unsuspend Teferi lol.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm tweaking this mono-black deck for tomorrow's Qualifier Weekend and I'm open to suggestions to make it better. It takes the Silversmote Ghoul/Creeping Chill synergy from my Standard deck and makes it way stronger with Stitcher's Supplier. I was playing Goblins until yesterday, when I realized it feels like a chore. Nowhere near as fun as Legacy Goblins with its land destruction and goofy synergies.

4 Stitcher's Supplier
4 Lazotep Reaver
4 Mire Triton
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Fiend Artisan
4 Silversmote Ghoul
4 Gate to the Afterlife
4 Creeping Chill
3 Ravenous Chupacabra
2 God-Pharaoh's Gift
4 Phyrexian Tower
4 Radiant Fountain
15 Swamp

Sideboard:
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Duress
3 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Massacre Wurm
1 Midnight Reaper
1 Phyrexian Obliterator

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Meta looks good. Goblins is one of the highest powered decks and does have the annoying RNG factor, but it doesn't look as drastically overpowered over the rest as Field, Oko, or Rec was.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

its not a good thing that decks are devoting half their sideboard to goblins

Are they?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

Are they?

i think the only deck doing it is really sultai, just because the game 1 matchup is so bad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Time posted:

format feels great tbh and those two just seem burned out in general from the last year and not this specific event. Lots of interesting Magic is going on and people are being rewarded for playing well

https://twitter.com/dyland_mtg/status/1304439675243954176?s=21

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chamale posted:

I'm tweaking this mono-black deck for tomorrow's Qualifier Weekend and I'm open to suggestions to make it better. It takes the Silversmote Ghoul/Creeping Chill synergy from my Standard deck and makes it way stronger with Stitcher's Supplier. I was playing Goblins until yesterday, when I realized it feels like a chore. Nowhere near as fun as Legacy Goblins with its land destruction and goofy synergies.

4 Stitcher's Supplier
4 Lazotep Reaver
4 Mire Triton
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Fiend Artisan
4 Silversmote Ghoul
4 Gate to the Afterlife
4 Creeping Chill
3 Ravenous Chupacabra
2 God-Pharaoh's Gift
4 Phyrexian Tower
4 Radiant Fountain
15 Swamp

Sideboard:
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Duress
3 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Massacre Wurm
1 Midnight Reaper
1 Phyrexian Obliterator

The biggest thing jumping out to me here are the Duress in the Sideboard over Thoughtseize. I do want to try your deck as recurring the Silversmote Ghoul to power up the Priest and and Gate to the Afterlife is interesting. Just have to make sure you side out your Silversmote Ghoul and trim Fiend Artisan when you bring in the cages. Matt Nass is doing well in the Invitational right now with Mono Black Gift and he doesn't even play Cage. (I assume the cage is for Goblins and Collected Company?)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The people that want to make a living off of streaming a children's card game are truly the oppressed working class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

fadam posted:

Cheap spells, effective creatures, lots of interaction. Rakdos Pyromancer is pure mtg imo.

Folds instantly if your opponent says I have a pre-game action and slaps down a leyline.