Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the "if you're in range of your own stickies it'll only det enough of them to kill you and the rest will shatter" thing is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the "if you're in range of your own stickies it'll only det enough of them to kill you and the rest will shatter" thing is wild.

I'm guessing somewhere early in TF2's development, someone decided that suicide tactics needed to be discouraged for some reason.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It probably wasn't a conscious decision at all, just a quirk of how the code that detonates stickybombs interacts with the code that deletes stickybombs when you die.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, the player's detonate command is sent to each bomb in order. The bombs explode one by one, dealing damage as they explode. Eventually one of them is the one to kill the player, and the player dying triggers deleting the remaining stickies. This deleting the stickies happens inside the player-dying code before any more stickies can get their command to explode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've always hated the whole thing where your stickies get deleted when you die

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jabor posted:

It probably wasn't a conscious decision at all, just a quirk of how the code that detonates stickybombs interacts with the code that deletes stickybombs when you die.

This makes a ton of sense. Two things:
1. This would be an easy fix (if anyone wanted to fix it) by just putting a timer of like .1 seconds before stickies break but you still can't det them
2. I still want a sticky launcher that has the stat of "when you die all your stickies det on their own"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

I've always hated the whole thing where your stickies get deleted when you die

Pretty sure that plays an important role, since it means you have to focus on things like traps and can't abuse suicidal tactics.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
halloween update should include a ghost sticky launcher that sucks but gives you stickies that persist and can be detonated after you die

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My biggest annoyance with TF2 is that taking damage will cut off a domination line.

I want to hear those epic burns, you guys!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I have an old unusual-quality haunted metal scrap, the original kind. I can trade it, but it can't be marketed. Some sites say it's worth about $100 or 56~ keys. Do you think it's actually possible to sell something so old and weird? AFAIK it's only used for that axe, but you can make the axe with the newer, ordinary haunted metal scrap items.

Should I even try to sell it? Where is even reputable anymore? It seems like marketplace.tf2 is effectively shutting down.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Colapops posted:

I have an old unusual-quality haunted metal scrap, the original kind. I can trade it, but it can't be marketed. Some sites say it's worth about $100 or 56~ keys. Do you think it's actually possible to sell something so old and weird? AFAIK it's only used for that axe, but you can make the axe with the newer, ordinary haunted metal scrap items.

Should I even try to sell it? Where is even reputable anymore? It seems like marketplace.tf2 is effectively shutting down.

Captain Invictus is the forum’s resident Steam Entrepreneur. They might be able to offer you some advice, or even buy it off you outright. Maybe send them a PM.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=58047

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Thank you. I will give that a shot.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Colapops posted:

So old and weird is why it's worth so much - it's a glitched item that's used to make a variety of glitched items. Marketplace is still currently functional, but you can only list items if you were previously a seller. There's a lot of scammers (with account-stealing fake trade links) and sharks (that will lowball you), so definitely get a trusted middleman (like Captain Invictus) to sell that scrap for you.

Actually that price is two years outdated -- it could be worth more (or less, but likely more).

Anarch fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 11, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'd check on the steam marketplace as well if you just want steam credit.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Anarch posted:

So old and weird is why it's worth so much - it's a glitched item that's used to make a variety of glitched items. Marketplace is still currently functional, but you can only list items if you were previously a seller. There's a lot of scammers (with account-stealing fake trade links) and sharks (that will lowball you), so definitely get a trusted middleman (like Captain Invictus) to sell that scrap for you.

Actually that price is two years outdated -- it could be worth more (or less, but likely more).

Yeyeye, I sent Invictus a message, so we'll see what he says. I keep getting friend invites/trade requests since making my inventory public again so I think that's a good sign.

Kuros posted:

I'd check on the steam marketplace as well if you just want steam credit.

It can be traded, but can't be sold on the market, so it requires someone willing to buy it through a direct trade.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Where's the heavy update

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When are the med and scout getting their grordbort update that was announced like 8 years ago

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

When are rd_asteroid and pl_cactuscanyon leaving beta

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Technically they've already left beta, the problem is they never entered anything else.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm a weirdo but I actually liked the stage they removed (2nd?) and kinda loathe the final stage (it's very easily accessible to defenders unless you spawncamp them).

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
When are they going to fix pyro's flame sprites?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

JustaDamnFool posted:

When are they going to fix pyro's flame sprites?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcWiQyJvJng

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

There should be a bee gun

And a flare gun that fires a big ol wasp

and a melee thats like a bees nest on a stick

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

has anyone seen this out there?

https://twitter.com/MR_QUATTRO/status/1301467502342541312

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I did see one a little while back, I don't really see the point though unless the teams have so many bots that you can't kick them.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

They also just kill regular players anyway so lol to that

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah I'm honestly not even sure those actually exist because every single instance of a "bot-extermination bot" has been a regular cheating bot sniper. It's just the same bot script/program/whatever but with a different name so people hesitate an extra second before trying to boot them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Colapops posted:

Wait is there a new kind of haunted scrap? I have been holding onto mine for years

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Reiley posted:

Wait is there a new kind of haunted scrap? I have been holding onto mine for years

Yeah, there's the original UNUSUAL haunted scrap from 2010, and then regular, non-unusual haunted metal scrap from every other year.

https://backpack.tf/stats/Unusual/Haunted%20Metal%20Scrap/Tradable/Craftable OG
https://backpack.tf/overview/Haunted%20Metal%20Scrap the newer versions

Basically, the unusual haunted metal scrap was the first Unusual-quality item (afaik) and after that, they changed Unusuals to be hats and poo poo.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Colapops posted:

If you have any other oddities from that time period, up to and including dropped items with a random level on it, you can try to squeeze out slightly more.

Some people will pay for a Vintage Lv. 100 Jarate.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Talking to Invictus about it now. Some people on dedicated trading forums were saying it could go for as high as 200 because I basically can ask whatever price I want, and since people were offering over 100 already...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am a dinosaur and been out of the loop for years now, so I had no idea it had skyrocketed in price so much. I think I sold mine for like 40 keys half a decade ago, nuts that it's gone up so much since then.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
heavyisgps released a video that sums up the most interesting changes from his balance mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTysgofSuI

i joined a server in brasil that ran it but i got 200 ping and there were only 3 other people in it

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Colapops posted:

Talking to Invictus about it now. Some people on dedicated trading forums were saying it could go for as high as 200 because I basically can ask whatever price I want, and since people were offering over 100 already...

Wait, seriously? I have one of those too, I never even imagined anyone would care about it.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Wait, seriously? I have one of those too, I never even imagined anyone would care about it.

If you have one of the tradeable ones, there's probably 100~ or less left in the "wild" that are still accessible. It seems like most that were tradeable are either in a collector's backpack or on a dead/private account. Or they got used. Not many left either way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ArfJason posted:

heavyisgps released a video that sums up the most interesting changes from his balance mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTysgofSuI

i joined a server in brasil that ran it but i got 200 ping and there were only 3 other people in it

the engineer payload nerf was incredibly necessary imo

the wrangler needs a harder nerf still though

e: lmao the volcano fragment change is amazing

imo the pyro airblast needs to be nerfed slightly, at least make it so that it doesn't affect ubers as much

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 14, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's specifically a tradeable Unusual Haunted Scrap. There are only 108 that still exist and unless your backpack has been private since before you got it, you'd have been hounded by people for years that have been using scanners to detect it in your inventory.

Tradeable haunted scrap metal was a bug that was very quickly fixed, resulting in only a few hundred existing, and since it's a crafting material, and crafting materials subject their results to the same restrictions as they have(I.E. an untradeable item used to craft something would make the resulting crafted item also untradeable), it makes "clean" halloween hats like the voodoo juju that can be freely traded. people using it to craft said hats means the actual scrap itself has dropped to only about 100 existing, and almost all of them have been picked up by collectors by this point, hence the price.

if you do actually have a tradeable one, well, congrats on the like half a grand in keys I suppose!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

It's specifically a tradeable Unusual Haunted Scrap. There are only 108 that still exist and unless your backpack has been private since before you got it, you'd have been hounded by people for years that have been using scanners to detect it in your inventory.

Tradeable haunted scrap metal was a bug that was very quickly fixed, resulting in only a few hundred existing, and since it's a crafting material, and crafting materials subject their results to the same restrictions as they have(I.E. an untradeable item used to craft something would make the resulting crafted item also untradeable), it makes "clean" halloween hats like the voodoo juju that can be freely traded. people using it to craft said hats means the actual scrap itself has dropped to only about 100 existing, and almost all of them have been picked up by collectors by this point, hence the price.

if you do actually have a tradeable one, well, congrats on the like half a grand in keys I suppose!

Ah, wait, mine appears to be untradeable, that would explain it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I was in a game that was just bombared with hackers. I did notice that all these bots had solid pink avatars.

i wish there was some way to stop them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Hihohe posted:

i wish there was some way to stop them...

Stop giving Valve money. Tell your friends.