Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Lol, big head

Edit: a shameful snipe!

Er....

BEEFSWELLING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

All of this has had me wondering: what was the fanbase/online reaction as the first bits of costumes/design/etc were coming out for Fellowship of the Ring? I guess that would have been 99-00 so it'd be harder to dig up but does anyone remember? I mean it's nerd poo poo so I know the answer is "lots of people screaming (happy) and lots of people screaming (unhappy)" but still

Instant joygasm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XoEGlvlp0

I still get chills

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Waterfat Headbeef

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Trailer looks good, too bad it will be a commercial disaster due to the virus, and the second part won't come out.

What can be done has been done

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That lotr trailer was dogs poo poo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

steinrokkan posted:

Trailer looks good, too bad it will be a commercial disaster due to the virus, and the second part won't come out.

now it's complete, because it ended here.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
god created my wife's taint to test the faithful.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1303759504262139904?s=20

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
So, wait, the spice is mushrooms? I always thought it was weed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

don't bring that poo poo in here

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Yet another has recanted the false belief to embrace the true faith.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

not many people know this but they had to split the first lotr movie in two and release the second one year later because the two towers references.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Three millennia-plus and it still pwns my beef

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Frank Funk posted:

not many people know this but they had to split the first lotr movie in two and release the second one year later because the two towers references.

They also delayed Aladdin because the monkey is named after the torture enhanced interrogation prison

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sauraman's little Eichmanns

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

drat, you can tell how much the science of tailer making has changed over 20 years.

I'm not even sure it's "worse" its just "really different."

Edit: If we're going to get the scene where they attack the Harkonnen's secret spice stockpile, does that mean we're going to see Geidi Prime? Like even if it just a background, or the CGI equivalent of a matte painting, that would be sick.

Unless they change it so the spice hoard is located on Arrakis in a warehouse secretly owned by the Harkonnens, or something. It would make more sense than an Atreides suicide attack force getting through Guild and Harkonnen customs.

Joke Miriam fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 11, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Why is Brolin cosplaying The Dude?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Joke Miriam posted:

drat, you can tell how much the science of tailer making has changed over 20 years.

Edit: If we're going to get the scene where they attack the Harkonnen's secret spice stockpile, does that mean we're going to see Geidi Prime? Like even if it just a background, or the CGI equivalent of a matte painting, that would be sick.

Unless they change it so the spice hoard is located on Arrakis in a warehouse secretly owned by the Harkonnens, or something. It would make more sense than an Atreides suicide attack force getting through Guild and Harkonnen customs.

there looks like a shot of sardukar doing triumph of the will reenactments on geidi prime

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Aw, Wonderwoman got delayed again, which makes me wonder(woman) about Dune getting hit too :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

Aw, Wonderwoman got delayed again, which makes me wonder(woman) about Dune getting hit too :(

I hope it does

I want to see it in the theatre, A LOT

I also don't want to die because of it

I can wait

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

can't we just wear a mask in the theatre?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

can't we just wear a mask in the theatre?

Masks protect other people not yourself, generally speaking

So yeah, but they won't

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't like how the Sardaukar look.* They're the arrogant miliary elite of a stagnant feudal empire, the kind with nobles, not SWAT or stormtroopers. They should have more flair war bling to them.

*I didn't really like much of how the trailer looked to be honest so probably biased, still cautiously hopeful and looking forwards to the movie becaue of Villeneuve, I am in agreement with a lot of others in that I think he's a really good pick to make this movie and thats what had me excited instea of cynical all the way going up to to this, when I've been shaken a bit by what I thought was kind of a meh trailer.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I am reading Dune for the first time and it was just revealed that Leto II is getting circumcised. They don’t say if it’s a Fremen practice specifically, but I guess nobody wants sand in there. On the other hand, now someone’s gotta squeeze out that foreskin water to save.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I don't like how the Sardaukar look.* They're the arrogant miliary elite of a stagnant feudal empire, the kind with nobles, not SWAT or stormtroopers. They should have more flair war bling to them.

Those are Hark suspensor uniforms I think. Any Sardukar are disguised as Hark.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah we won't see Sardaukar in their full uniforms/native look until the end of part 2. All other times they're in one disguise or another. Of course they may insert some scenes for context, I think it is important to emphasize that these guys are more dangerous.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

Three millennia-plus and it still pwns my beefswell

Fixed

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The book spends a lot of time telling you how many of fighter x could take this many of fighter y without really showing much so that's always going to be an uphill battle on film

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I am desperate to see some of the art or design surrounding the imperial cadre. Show us an imperial ship, or the emperor, or irulan, or gently caress

...they're saving it all for part 2. We'll just get dreamy flashes because Villanueve made the (rather wise) decision to embed the narrative with the Atreides in part 1. gently caress.

what a loving worm tease this is

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ingmar terdman posted:

The book spends a lot of time telling you how many of fighter x could take this many of fighter y without really showing much so that's always going to be an uphill battle on film

Will a Hollywood movie show the kids on the good guy side walking among the wounded slitting every Sardaukar/Harkonnen throat after a battle ends?

Isn't there no actual official plan for a sequel yet from what they were saying? Hopefully we actually get to see the rest

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Will a Hollywood movie show the kids on the good guy side walking among the wounded slitting every Sardaukar/Harkonnen throat after a battle ends?

Isn't there no actual official plan for a sequel yet from what they were saying? Hopefully we actually get to see the rest

Dunno. I doubt Dune will be rated R but an overwhelming majority of Villanueve's films have been thus far.

Maelstrom - R
Polytechnique - Unrated, but would be an R in the states
Incendies - R
Prisoners - R, originally NC-17
Enemy - R
Sicario - R
Arrival - PG-13
2049 - R

My guess is that Dune will straddle the line between R and 13, with strong 'menace' vibes, and will not shy away from darker subject matter when it comes to jihad or Hark nastiness. We'll see I guess. If Dune ends up being R that will kind of be a big deal.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ingmar terdman posted:

The Sardoukars, being established as walking terrors for the whole book and getting r3kt by Fremen "non-combatants" and having to use their dropship engines to create a fire to escape with their lives was just :discourse: in the books and yeah good luck surpassing carefully built imagination of people.

I like the troop drop scene so much that keep replaying it. It's so crisp and the motion is so controlled that it's peak DV.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fury Road, Joker, Logan, Deadpool(2), and It all made good money off of the R rating, so my guess is that audiences trending older would be able to get some poo poo done with Dune...as we now pretty much live in a post-MCU environment.

But there are already so many risks to the Dune project at this time that I wouldn't be surprised if DV makes a compromise on the rating in order to secure more assurances on part 2, if that's possible.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly given that they're probably dialing back the Harkonnens there's nothing that you couldn't get away with a borderline pg13 and they seem to be trying to trick YA audiences in

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Joke Miriam posted:

Yeah, that's mad. It's hard to put into words exactly why it feels so "off" but it really does.
Meanwhile, a lot of care has gone into that Dune trailer. I think I like Pink Floyd now?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I am desperate to see some of the art or design surrounding the imperial cadre. Show us an imperial ship, or the emperor, or irulan, or gently caress

yes dennis

show us the F U C K

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Bubblyblubber posted:

yes dennis

show us the F U C K

HARKONNEN!? gently caress THAT poo poo. PABST OF IBAD.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, that's mad. It's hard to put into words exactly why it feels so "off" but it really does.
Meanwhile, a lot of care has gone into that Dune trailer. I think I like Pink Floyd now?

To me it's the voiceover guy and the sassy tagline. But if had one foot in the future with laying out the dates of the sequels like an MCU timeline at comicon. sorry for the derail

Leto seems to be passing his hand over a relief of his dad fighting the bull, no? They also seem to be packing up stuff, which will probably include the head.

Stuff like the fish bed is an easy design choice that looks good but is also true to the book, but so many other things like the bulls head could be incorporated into the story or just left in the background. It'll be interesting to see what makes it in. But the banquet scene just has to make it in. I bet it was even a selling point of the film in this post Game of Thrones world. I kinda think that people are more open to seeing the fantasy statecraft play out a bit more than they would have been in another time

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Ingmar terdman posted:

To me it's the voiceover guy and the sassy tagline. But if had one foot in the future with laying out the dates of the sequels like an MCU timeline at comicon. sorry for the derail

Leto seems to be passing his hand over a relief of his dad fighting the bull, no? They also seem to be packing up stuff, which will probably include the head.

Stuff like the fish bed is an easy design choice that looks good but is also true to the book, but so many other things like the bulls head could be incorporated into the story or just left in the background. It'll be interesting to see what makes it in. But the banquet scene just has to make it in. I bet it was even a selling point of the film in this post Game of Thrones world. I kinda think that people are more open to seeing the fantasy statecraft play out a bit more than they would have been in another time

The banquet scene is one of the few things I liked about the SYFY version, even though they added Irulan. Leaving it out of the Lynch version might've simplified things, but also did leave out that statecraft and especially downplayed the importance of the Duke trying to get the smugglers on his side.

Incidentally, it looks like there's a shot in the trailer of Leto either discovering the lead smuggler or Shadout Mapes.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I think I remember people who claimed to have seen drafts of the script saying the banquet scene wasn't in there (or was altered greatly), but that was long before the first images started to come out. Months ago, maybe even 2019. So who knows.

The costume department definitely read that scene though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I think I remember people who claimed to have seen drafts of the script saying the banquet scene wasn't in there (or was altered greatly), but that was long before the first images started to come out. Months ago, maybe even 2019. So who knows.

Yeah, that was this Twitter account, back in January: https://twitter.com/DuneInfo/status/1219353191772577792

Here's the main post where they claim to have a copy of the script, the revision date of which is apparently back in 2018: https://twitter.com/DuneInfo/status/1219350678629421056

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 12, 2020