Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's just bizzare to imagine that he fucks.
When he fucks he shouts out

OwlFancier posted:

Baaaarrrrtth.
and

Angepain posted:

the a sound lasts for a solid 10 seconds

e:
Here's a nice cat so you can forget this post.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

how does the water stay in a flat bath?

Surface tension

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Here's a nice cat so you can forget this post.

That is a nice cat, shame about the huntastic sofa

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lt. Danger posted:

more thinking about the workers here - if one worker is left out of the social loop and doesn't slack off with everyone else then they end up unwittingly working harder picking up others' workload, which is unfair

it's not a serious issue but I wonder if more generally this sort of dynamic isn't at the root of the skiver/striver myth: I find one of the common threads of workplace gossip across workplaces always seems to be who pulls their weight and who doesn't do their fair share, and I think people extrapolate from that (shallow) dynamic into a ginned-up nationwide Benefits Cheats vs Hardworking Quiet Bat People

e: like, it's got to come from somewhere - I don't think many of the people who are extremely mad about people on jobseekers actually know all that many people on jobseekers or whatever

It goes back a way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angrymog posted:

That is a nice cat, shame about the huntastic sofa
That's the kind of sofa you need to get women and cats to stay in your house while you're off managering.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

blunt posted:

Sorry, I meant functionally illiterate as in "unable to parse and comprehend information, lacking critical thinking skills", not "unable to read or spell". I can see why that's doubly unclear as immediately before I was joking about spelling.

I probably used the wrong term ... Maybe I'm illiterate 👀

Sorry about your dad. My parents are starting to get noticeably "old" and that poo poo is scary.

Thanks for posting this, I appreciate it. Comradely hug.

I kind of mean it like that tho, it’s not that they are incapable of rational thought it’s that (1) there are conscious and subconscious modes of thought, and for them for whatever reason social and political issues are in the subconscious set; and (2) older English people drink a lot and drunk people get emotional and make bad posts on social media.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if/how the (apparently existing) trend of younger people drinking less will affect things.

Certainly I find drunk people very annoying and unpleasant to be around.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I think I get it now, length of the vowel.

Baaaarrrrtth.

No r in it, though, just a for longer..

Actually SE RP English still has a bit of a similar thing - 'man' takes longer to say than 'mat', for example.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's more that the southern prounciation of the a vowel sounds like it should be transcribed with an r to someone from where I live.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

Also Birmingham is locked down (from Tuesday(apart from schools/work/etc.))

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54117532

We're in the 'believe our own lies' stage where they think they can stop the acceleration of infection while people have to go and work in buildings. Going back to work in closed rooms was never safe. They lied but have no idea what to do. I just wonder whether they are nihilistic and don't care or are panicking and just assumed we'd have 'something' that would make things better. Some treatment that meant only the weakest would die and gently caress them.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 11, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Why would you post a list with 11 items on it today.

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1304320736769835008?s=19

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Regarde Aduck posted:

We're in the 'believe our own lies' stage where they think they can stop the acceleration of infection while people have to go and work in buildings. Going back to work in closed rooms was never safe. They lied but have no idea what to do. I just wonder whether they are nihilistic and don't care or are panicking and just assumed we'd have 'something' that would make things better. Some treatment that meant only the weakest would die and gently caress them.

Remember, the Tories work on the inverse Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

:lol:

UK health screening advisers not involved in 'moonshot' Covid plan

Exclusive: Public health experts say it is ‘incomprehensible’ NSC not consulted on £100bn rapid mass testing project

This government is so utterly transparent, and not in the good way. Boris gets COVID and almost dies, and a couple months later, the NHS is instructed to crack down on obesity to help against the pandemic. Despite the fact that experts have told them this would happen from the beginning, the Tories managed to delude themselves into believing that the virus was just going away, and then when the infection rates start to creep up again they panic and concoct a vague plan that makes no sense but they think they can just make it work by throwing an astronomical amount of money at it. I genuinely think a group of children would do a similar job.

Maybe the silver lining will be that the public will begin to turn on them? I think a second lockdown and "Christmas is Cancelled" could be disastrous for the Tories. We already had almost all the papers (including the right-wing ones) making GBS threads on the moonshot plan and using that picture of Boris looking bewildered at the press conference.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1304333932779855872?s=20

Gordon doing what we all wish we could

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's literally like the last six months never happened

cases are rapidly accelerating, they're doing the northern Italy thing where they're like "oh we're X weeks behind France and things are starting to get bad there. Anyway, things haven't got bad here yet, so lets not do anything right now"

they're even putting off closing things like pubs down in order to not damage the economy again, even though it's incredibly obvious that just means you'll eventually have to do it anyway and probably for even longer

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the BBC is already carrying water for the government

paraphrasing from PM: "the R number is over 1 but it's not as bad as it was before lockdown so really it's basically fine"

if they lick those boots hard enough they might get their TV licence money

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Those kids had better really loving learn a lot in the 5 weeks of attending school they're going to get this year.

I'm talking PhD level papers and Mozart symphonies coming out of these 7 year olds.

vvv lol I'd forgotten that was a thing. Are we still a 3?

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 11, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I wonder if they'll ever remember that the covid threat level existed

namesake posted:

vvv lol I'd forgotten that was a thing. Are we still a 3?

you and the government both

we are presumably still at three, because the last news stories about it are from when they moved it down in June, but it's not actually published anywhere as far as I can tell so we could be at extra hot and just not know it

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1304460411094401029

Perfectly normal.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1304462878439862275?s=19

Lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
When Tereezer "who?" May makes a oval office out of you

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Bojo is truly a political titan.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

XMNN posted:

I wonder if they'll ever remember that the covid threat level existed
We're currently at

🌶🌶🌶 - A mouth-tingling sensation!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cummings in the corner of the room, writing down the names of anyone shaking their head or looking angry/bewildered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The threat level is pi out of 5.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

remember when they said "we're now on an easily understandable scale of 1 - 5" and then immediately pegged us all at 3.5. Those were the salad days

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thrashingteeth posted:

Bojo is truly a political titan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYDj769s6k

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kecske posted:

and then immediately pegged us all

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is it a sherman firefly? Why is it not a glorious BRITANE churchill or cromwell?

Or the best tank, the crusader, because the turret is a funny shape.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

In re Oberstein / Communism Bitch, you’re their manager. They look to you to tell them what to do each day, and if they’re not following the rules it’s because they don’t think there’s a good reason to listen to you. So whether you’re coming at this from a leftist perspective or any other perspective, this is your problem to solve.

Having said that, how do you fix it? Probably take this to the dying slowly in corporate life thread but here’s my advice fwiw. If you already know this and feel it’s patronising then apologies in advance and I’ll shut up. I wrote it because I remember how much I sucked when I started managing people.

1. Starting next week remind them again what’s expected of them. “Not Gossiping” isn’t a reasonable expectation, but for example “Looking after people when they’re in the room” or “Manning the cash till and helping people who look a bit lost in the gift shop before they come and ask for help.” are. Any criticism is worthless if it’s based on a general feeling: part of your job as a manager is to link that feeling back to specific behaviours so you can tell them what to change. People can usually remember to do things but are bad at remembering not to do things.

2. Check what they’re doing, not by hovering over their shoulder but by watching and where necessary advising on how they should do poo poo differently, within like 5-10 minutes after it happened. So many bosses don’t do this and it’s so easy to fix. If they did well say so. If not also say so but you have to tell them how they should have done it differently. If it doesn’t matter if they do it well, don’t make a fuss about how they do it. If it’s not something they really need to do, don’t make a fuss if they don’t do it.

3. If they get better, congrats, this is the nice bit of being a manager.

4. If they laugh and tell you to gently caress off, or agree and then don’t do it, or are really trying but just can’t handle it, you need to make the judgement call. This is the less nice bit of being a manager. IMO this is composed of two parts: (1) Is this person in a job they are good at; and (2) if they’re not, how hosed are they going to be if I sack them? A decent person doesn’t sack someone who will be turbofucked, ever, but also doesn’t keep someone who is miserably doing a job badly doing that same job.

If they are really in the wrong job, the way I handled this in the past has been:

- Plan A move them to a different job in the same company. As their manager, find something they might be able to do well and feel proud about, and make the connections needed so their new boss welcomes them in. Of 5 situations like this I handled in the past 3 years, 3 got fixed this way.

- Plan B help them find another job outside or at least don’t stand in their way. The other 2 got fixed this way. Again it may rely to some extent on you making connections and getting people outside the company to trust you so that if you recommend someone that has credibility.

- Plan C, and this is very much a last resort if they have some thing about them that means they can’t do anything at your place (severe depression, sociopath who doesn’t GAF, whatever) negotiate for them to quit by offering a couple of month’s work as a contractor if they want to do it. I didn’t do this in the last few years but I have done it once, and the couple of months’ work were enough for them to get settled in their next thing on that occasion. It might not be but at that point I think you’ve done your best.

5. Be extremely direct with people who work for you that being sacked is a thing that can happen but it won’t be done in a stupid or arbitrary way and if it does happen you will do what you can to mitigate.

Generally speaking the #1 situation you want to avoid as a manager is making someone think you’re their friend, have them make decisions based on that, and then tell them actually you’re their boss. Most successful managers do this by not being friends. I managed this by being super frank with the people reporting to me that I would sack them if I thought it was the right thing to do. To date after 10ish years being a manager I have never had to deprive anyone of an income so IMO it’s working.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
UK Manager Thread: Your Lunch Break Is Over

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely managerial in that it at no point entertains the possibility that they might be better at ther jobs than you are and that you Having Decided that Something Must Change means that it Must Change.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

kecske posted:

remember when they said "we're now on an easily understandable scale of 1 - 5" and then immediately pegged us all at 3.5. Those were the salad days

has anyone mentioned that scale at all since june? i miss the covid nandos scale. bring back the covid nandos scale. when the covid nandos scale isn't on screen, everyone should be asking, "where's the covid nandos scale?"

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Extremely managerial in that it at no point entertains the possibility that they might be better at ther jobs than you are and that you Having Decided that Something Must Change means that it Must Change.

CB’s specific complaint was that there were two people working for him who didn’t pull weight and it was upsetting him. His view may or may not be correct: we here don’t know. It’s also not a capitalism/communism thing, it’s a managerial hierarchy (which exists in any system where more experienced people manage less experienced ones) thing.

It isn’t impossible for someone who’s been doing something for 3 weeks to be better at doing it than someone who’s been doing it for 3 years but that’s all a little bit too Silicon Valley for me; usually doing something more makes a person better at it and more qualified to judge whether their colleagues are good at it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What managers like to call "not pulling weight" is what I like to call "optimizing my time such that I achieve the most efficient allocation of my personal resources to achieve the outcome required for continued remuneration".

And what they call "managing" I find is more accurately described as "sticking their two pennorth in where it isn't needed or wanted to justify their job title"

Much better if they stick to the paperwork and let the rest of us get on with doing as little as possible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 11, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If the work is getting done let them have fun.

AMAB

vvv a manager messing with his employees is punching down, not up.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think you're all reading too much into a dude loving with people for a laugh that causes no harm.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

What managers like to call "not pulling weight" is what I like to call "optimizing my time such that I achieve the most efficient allocation of my personal resources to achieve the outcome required for continued remuneration".

And what they call "managing" I find is more accurately described as "sticking their two pennorth in where it isn't needed or wanted to justify their job title"

Much better if they stick to the paperwork and let the rest of us get on with doing as little as possible.

That is an entirely rational response to your average office job but all told I would prefer that the people who manage nuclear safety, use metal tools to cut and close up other people’s internal organs and build and design the places we live in are both competent and fairly diligent.

And since they have to be, it feels only fair that the rest of us who put up walls and dig holes for pipes and set up internet connections should be. The people who organise these activities are doing a real job, and the people who work out how to do all that at scale while still making money in our current system are also doing a real job but probably shouldn’t get from it 99% of all of the value that exists in the industry.

It’s probably a good idea to nationalise all white collar jobs tho. The number would be kept to a minimum and the remuneration would be horrible. After a few years you could start paying more for the ones that turned out to actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

love 2 use the threat of authority via my presence to intimidate subordinates