Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

just only plant those pine trees i guess
bing bong

They should make the homes out of the same stuff the pine trees are made of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

tater_salad posted:

They should make the homes out of the same stuff the pine trees are made of!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lacrosse posted:

So when do we switch to building houses with stucco walls and terra cotta tiles for the roof? These timber framed houses are basically made of matchsticks at this point.

No half measures.

DOME HOUSE:

Fire proof, wind proof monolithic dome house!

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Real hurthling! posted:

just only plant those pine trees i guess
bing bong

Yeah no seriously just take cuttings and clone the gently caress outta those
bing bong indeed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Accretionist posted:

No half measures.

DOME HOUSE:

Fire proof, wind proof monolithic dome house!

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Lacrosse posted:

So when do we switch to building houses with stucco walls and terra cotta tiles for the roof? These timber framed houses are basically made of matchsticks at this point.

wood houses are the safest for the Big One so lolll

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wonder how a cob house would handle an earthquake. It would probably crack but would it catastrophically fail?

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
No house needs to be flammable or weak to earthquakes or weak to wind.
All are victims to capitalism, the only system where being cheap is a virtue.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Like you'd prefer a stick frame house:

I mean good lord

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lol, nothing like waking up to find a cool soup of white fog blanketing the city, such aesthetic, wait no thats all loving smoke and my lungs hurt. Shouldnt have slept with the windows open

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

silicone thrills posted:

I wonder how a cob house would handle an earthquake. It would probably crack but would it catastrophically fail?

I saw a tweet thread that I can't find again about a building technique used in some ancient cob structures to make them earthquake resistant. The foundation of these buildings was made of loose rocks stuffed inside woven net bags, which acted as a shock absorber similar to how they build skyscrapers today to resist earthquakes. It was really interesting and I'm upset I can't find it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fuligin posted:

Lol, nothing like waking up to find a cool soup of white fog blanketing the city, such aesthetic, wait no thats all loving smoke and my lungs hurt. Shouldnt have slept with the windows open

the first night of the fires here in Eugene when they went from .5 to 11 I left all my windows open and there was a fine layer of ash covering everything.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
all house bow before

GROVERHAÜS

king of houses

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Like you'd prefer a stick frame house:

I mean good lord

No fires in the Great Dismal Swamp.

Really makes u think :thunk:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
ive been brain storming a solution to our problem here, what if we just destroy the weather?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Why do people keep trying to live in these investment vehicles?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Things look so much better today, there's no yellow tint at all! *checks API: 208* well gently caress

I remember the first day of the Tubbs fire in 2017, going out for an hour long walk to get a mask despite it looks like the apocalypse and visible particles of ash everywhere, then coming home and being like "Why am I sneezing constantly? Why do I feel like poo poo?" If I get lung cancer any time in the next decade, I'll know exactly why.

Giga Gaia posted:

ive been brain storming a solution to our problem here, what if we just destroy the weather?

*nods sagely* Nature can't kill you if you kill yourself first.

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Sep 11, 2020

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/FBIPortland/status/1304485033210769409?s=19

You know poo poo's crazy when the FBI is trying to calm fears about leftist terrorists.

Judging by the comments it's far too late to get a handle on this story though

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

woke up, no more orange sky, light levels looked normal

hey is that fog? visibility is like 200 feet

lets check the air quality

:trumppop:

lmao

e: i accidentally cropped that image to have a height of 911 pixels, on 9/11 lol :911:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah I really don’t want to know if it’s got racist undertones or something.

It's Tchotchke, coming from a slavic word for trinket and then adopted into yiddish by jews and imported to america starting with new york.

So you're probably good on that one.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Giga Gaia posted:

good idea, we can call it climate change 2

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

silicone thrills posted:

Uh, it would depend but it probably wouldn't fai catastrophically. You can have reinforced cob (wood fibers, bamboo, etc) which gives tensile strength and more resistant to straight failure. It's also a fairly light-weight structure so the momentum and natural period of them is fairly favorable, that said you wouldn't want them more than 1-story without better reinforcing material. A Dome-shape is also very favorable to stress distribution which is partly why they're even so stable as it is. So an actual 1story cob-dome building with reinforcing material would be comparable to any regular house seismic-wise. But like I said you really wouldn't want to do more than 1 to 1.5-stories, and ideally keeping a rounded design.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Sep 11, 2020

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Loving the 581 and 527, taking years off your life every time you open a door or window.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

*AQI scouter explodes*

EUGENE, Ore. - An air quality index of 151 or higher for particulate matter is considered Unhealthy.

201 to 300 is Very Unhealthy.

From 301 to 500 is considered Hazardous.

"Values above 500 are considered Beyond the AQI. Follow recommendations for the Hazardous category," according to the EPA.

Air quality measurements in Western Oregon have exceeded the 500 mark often since Labor Day.

The primary pollutant from wildfires is particulate matter, measured in micrograms per cubic meter). These are particles 30 times smaller that the diameter of human hair. Air monitors measure how many of these particles are in a cubic meter and convert them to a value on Air Quality Index. Lane County’s air has exceeded the Air Quality Index top value of 500 many times.

So how far beyond the AQI have we gone?

Thursday night Cottage Grove recorded 807 micrograms per cubic meter, well beyond the upper limits of the AQI.

And a particle measurement of nearly 1,000?

That's Florence on Wednesday night, as the measure for tiny dangerous bits of pollution known as PM 2.5 - particular matter smaller than 2.5 nanometers - crested 975.

By comparison, Eugene and Springfield have seen particulate matter measurements above 500 this week, with the exception of the monitor in the Santa Clara neighborhood. The highest reading there? Still a Hazardous measure just shy of 485, g/m3, which converts to 490 on the Air Quality Index, according to LRAPA.

A review of data by LRAPA analysts found that air pollution in Eugene hit its highest levels since nephelometering began in 1985 - and was even worse than 2017, when the Deception Complex of fires polluted the air.

And beyond the dramatic spike, Cottage Grove set an all-time high of 516 micrograms per cubic meter for 24-hour measurement of PM 2.5, the hazardous pollutant in wildfire smoke.

The data from Lane Regional Air Protection Agency air monitors demonstrates the impact wildfires have had on Western Oregon air quality this week.

“These numbers are extreme, but not surprising considering how close and how big the Holiday Farm Fire is," Travis Knudsen with LRAPA said. "With our air as poor as it is, it’s important everyone limit all outdoor exposure as much as possible. Keep windows and doors closed. Seal any place air may be getting into your home. We’re waiting for a major weather pattern shift before we see any relief from the smoke. One may arrive early next week if the forecast doesn’t change, until then our air won’t see much improvement.”

Unusual east winds both fanned the flames into conflagrations - and flooded Western Oregon with wildfire smoke.

Air quality is expected to remain a problem through at least Monday in Western Oregon, even as a shift in the wind begins to move the smoke.

The smoke has pooled over the Pacific Ocean - and will begin to make its way north through Washington. Central and Eastern Oregon are expected to see diminished air quality in the coming days, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

aqi here is 318, i've had a headache since wednesday when the smoke first arrived and now i am having horrid allergy problems as well. also last time we had this much smoke was in 2018 and i ended up getting pneumonia, which was a nightmare.

i need to get my rear end back to upstate new york asap gently caress this place.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i love that the us climate thread is basically the old gbs china thread now

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SpudCat posted:

https://twitter.com/FBIPortland/status/1304485033210769409?s=19

You know poo poo's crazy when the FBI is trying to calm fears about leftist terrorists.

Judging by the comments it's far too late to get a handle on this story though

This is like the one thing I go to bat to the FBI for but they have actually been decent whenever it comes up in reports that white, right wing militas and extremists are the primary concern. And every time they do this they get yelled at by the right and told to do another report, and they do and either leak the truth or write the same thing lol

Other than that they are super garbage.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you want to move somewhere cheap with all 4 seasons, good outdoor recreation, and very little exposure to immediate climate devastation West Virginia has everything that the Midwest has and more.

Minnesota (two).

you'd better not be comparing minnihopelis to saint perfect

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

PawParole posted:

you'd better not be comparing minnihopelis to saint perfect

I will not say what places I am referring to and will allow the reader to assume I’m insulting their favorite city and praising their rival.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1304477338969677824?s=19

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1304519116523556864

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xaris posted:

Uh, it would depend but it probably wouldn't fai catastrophically. You can have reinforced cob (wood fibers, bamboo, etc) which gives tensile strength and more resistant to straight failure. It's also a fairly light-weight structure so the momentum and natural period of them is fairly favorable, that said you wouldn't want them more than 1-story without better reinforcing material. A Dome-shape is also very favorable to stress distribution which is partly why they're even so stable as it is. So an actual 1story cob-dome building with reinforcing material would be comparable to any regular house seismic-wise. But like I said you really wouldn't want to do more than 1 to 1.5-stories, and ideally keeping a rounded design.

There's been a bit of a trend of building cob homes in the PNW on sort of commune style land and doing it pretty traditional with a big group party thing and everyone doing the mud stomping thing. Its pretty neat. They're so temp stable plus they have stood for hundreds of years in places that build them traditionally. Glad to hear they'd probably survive a quake.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

hmm maybe they’re onto something. we should burn new york city to appease the climate gods and save our forests

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
buckle up!

https://twitter.com/WBRZweather/status/1304525038809382917?s=20

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

more like flood waterdale

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

silicone thrills posted:

There's been a bit of a trend of building cob homes in the PNW on sort of commune style land and doing it pretty traditional with a big group party thing and everyone doing the mud stomping thing. Its pretty neat. They're so temp stable plus they have stood for hundreds of years in places that build them traditionally. Glad to hear they'd probably survive a quake.

There's a chunk of land on the coast I want to buy and build a cob hut on for use as a camping shelter. I'm legit interested in building one, and I think the building codes in rural areas are pretty lax about letting you use cob.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lacrosse posted:

There's a chunk of land on the coast I want to buy and build a cob hut on for use as a camping shelter. I'm legit interested in building one, and I think the building codes in rural areas are pretty lax about letting you use cob.

hell if you're in a rural area, gently caress it just do it. technically there's a carve out in a lot of code for like <200sq ft buildings that "aren't inhabited" anyways. usually it's a statewide code with local variations (usually stricter).

but like I said what I would suggest is reinforcing cob with either heavy outer and inner meshing/geogrids/or bamboo with lapping. depending on the ground conditions, I would also probably recommend removing the first 2-3 ft of subgrade and replacing either with existing or fill with a plate compactor rental and doing it in 6-inch lifts.

not sure how crazy you want to get with resilience or how big you want to do it or how much money you want to spend

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

SKULL.GIF posted:

so exactly how much CO2 are these wildfires giving off and how do they compare to one individual person trying their best to reduce their individual consumption

these trees are part of the zero-sum carbon cycle. human consumption is releasing fossil fuel CO2 that was locked away from the carbon cycle.