Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah the Prius sounds like a way better deal and will hold it's value a lot better if you decide to sell it for whatever reason

That being said, driving a hybrid is boring and a little hatchback with a 6 speed would be a good deal more fun to drive

The manual and the thing where I don't ever have to worry about batteries, brake actuators, etc... are what made me look at it. I'm still all over the place even though I've kind of maybe narrowed down a little.

A 3rd gen just popped up at a local hybrid shop that might be interesting. It has 30k more miles but is also 4 years newer and I'd imagine this place went over it pretty well. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money over the 2nd gen I drove even though it's going to be a bit nicer inside and probably handle snow a little better.

3rd gen

2nd gen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dude the prius is absurdly reliable. if you don't like it don't get it, but the batteries / brake actuator are like the two conceivable problems and it doesn't appear that you're worried about say, having to rebuild the transmission on the accent.

it's also not going to be meaningfully more fun to drive an Accent on I-70 across Eastern colorado and Kansas versus a Prius

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude the prius is absurdly reliable. if you don't like it don't get it, but the batteries / brake actuator are like the two conceivable problems and it doesn't appear that you're worried about say, having to rebuild the transmission on the accent.

it's also not going to be meaningfully more fun to drive an Accent on I-70 across Eastern colorado and Kansas versus a Prius

The prius is still my leader, just trying to look around. They're actually big on that on the prius forums I've looked at, especially when looking at older cars.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The 2011 model is the V trim, maximum technology and gizmos available. I think it might be a better buy for you. Both of those cars at near bottom of devaluation curve anyway. You'll drive it for 3 years and seel it private party for $4500 if not more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

The prius is still my leader, just trying to look around. They're actually big on that on the prius forums I've looked at, especially when looking at older cars.

there's always a sampling issue with model forums - people tend to gravitate there because they have issues with cars, especially for boring appliance cars. the average person with a gen 2 prius with no issues is not hanging out on the boards.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

The 2011 model is the V trim, maximum technology and gizmos available. I think it might be a better buy for you. Both of those cars at near bottom of devaluation curve anyway. You'll drive it for 3 years and seel it private party for $4500 if not more.

It has been in an accident. Seems to drive fine though

e: total loss but not a salvage title lol

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 11, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah, no

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm not surprised given the price, but please loving advertise that. That's not a "clean" title. I don't feel like they were shady about it once I was there and he immediately said it had been in an accident but I wouldn't have wasted the time if I'd known its actual condition.

I'll give the guy credit for making me want a 3rd gen a little more though. Probably not enough to justify the price difference but it would absolutely handle the mountains better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Forgot about that part lol. Yeah I'd take the Prius all day long for that, it's gonna be way more comfortable on the interstate.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is this the right place to ask what the asking price should be on a particular vehicle?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Proposed Budget: $15,000-30,000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door compact sedan/hatch
How will you be using the car?: Plain in medium sized city driving with carseated kids, going to daycare, occasional grocery/restaurant stuff. For any long distance trips and all we'd take my wife's CUV.
What aspects are most important to you? Manual, fun driving, gizmos are neat, want nice audio, big enough to fit two kids and maybe soccer bags or whatnot when the day comes.
3. US

Currently driving an 02 automatic Maxima SE coming up on 150k miles. I like the car a lot and it's in pretty good shape, has plenty of life left, but outside of sometimes mashing the gas (3.5 V6 woo) it's getting boring to drive and makes me miss the fun of the 95 Civic I had before it. Plus I'm getting closer to 9s 0-60 when I let off the brake and floor it so I don't think it's even as fast as it's supposed to be. My gameplan has been to wait another year and half for a kid to be out of daycare and something else paid off, go test drive the usual suspects of GTI, Civic SI, Elantra GT/N whatever it is now, Forte GT, buy new, and maybe even do the factory order exactly how I want it and feel like a baller. On the other hand, between kids and COVID I'm bored af and driving is one of the few fun things I can do so I've been refreshing a craigslist search for shits and giggles to see what pops up, and I'm kind of excited about this:

2017 Focus ST, I think base trim, $17,250, 54k miles, little higher cost than I'd like but all the FoST/FiST prices I've seen have been a little higher than I've hoped, and I'd def get a PPI
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/athens-2017-focus-st-manual-turbo-54k/7194557732.html

The new route sounds awesome, but between higher out the door price, more tax, higher registration/renewal fees, etc. there's a pretty notable TCO difference. The Focus interior and gadgetry would be a bummer vs say a 2021 GTI, but for half the cost of a kitchen reno I mean, will I just care that it's a fun fast car and the rest will be like my Maxima's sunroof where I ignored it after 6 months? Knowing a new car has a perfect condition engine tranny etc. to know it's as fast as it's supposed to be sounds great, but I don't know if there's a real world difference after 50k miles.

It's probably a personal question that I should just run out and test drive the FoST and some new cars and see what puts a smile on my face more, but wanted to bounce it off y'all please, moreso cause I hear the STs were a lot of car for the money and they're discontinued in the US :(, dunno what the window looks like until they're all high mileage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Focus ST isn't a bad choice. Also look at the Veloster R and the VW GTI. Also I'm going to get yelled at for suggesting this every time but used Kia Stinger GT. The first ones are coming off lease about now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just drove a 3rd gen Prius that hadn't been in a total loss accident. It was much quieter inside. Weird. This one was a fresh trade in that definitely needed some things so it's off the table. The 3rd gen would be better for me but I can't stop thinking about the 2nd gen I drove. All the 3rd gens in the price range I'm most comfortable with are super high mileage and/or pretty ratty. I just don't think the value is there for what I want.

e: just drove this one. It's in better overall shape than the other 2nd gen I drove and cheaper. It'll need tires before that one which kind of offsets the cost but it won't need them tomorrow or anything. I think I might pull the trigger on it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 13, 2020

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

first time "new car" buying questions...

If, for example, Toyota's website says the MSRP of a no-frills Corolla LE is $20,275, and the Edmund's "suggested price" is $18,910, does that mean I should expect to aim for around $18,910 ($1,365 below MSRP) as the "base price" of the car at the dealer?

And then registration, doc fee, and tax would be added on top of that for the final price?

If there's also a $1000 manufacturer "customer cash back" offer going on, should I expect that to additionally be taken off at the end at the dealer or is that discount likely already included in the Edmund's "suggested price" (which I means I should really only expect to get about $365 below MSRP as the base price?)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

teh_Broseph posted:

Proposed Budget: $15,000-30,000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door compact sedan/hatch
How will you be using the car?: Plain in medium sized city driving with carseated kids, going to daycare, occasional grocery/restaurant stuff. For any long distance trips and all we'd take my wife's CUV.
What aspects are most important to you? Manual, fun driving, gizmos are neat, want nice audio, big enough to fit two kids and maybe soccer bags or whatnot when the day comes.
3. US

GTI

You will have a lot of fun with a Golf R and it's in budget.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

cool av posted:

If, for example, Toyota's website says the MSRP of a no-frills Corolla LE is $20,275, and the Edmund's "suggested price" is $18,910, does that mean I should expect to aim for around $18,910 ($1,365 below MSRP) as the "base price" of the car at the dealer?

And then registration, doc fee, and tax would be added on top of that for the final price?

If there's also a $1000 manufacturer "customer cash back" offer going on, should I expect that to additionally be taken off at the end at the dealer or is that discount likely already included in the Edmund's "suggested price" (which I means I should really only expect to get about $365 below MSRP as the base price?)

MSRP is pretty much a made up price that you shouldn't worry about that much. You want to compare against advertized prices and dealers will often go below these prices. Generally, ads that you see posted online include all of the dealer cash.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cool av posted:

Edmunds numbers include OEM incentives. You can see the price walk on the model page if this link works

Note this is my local market which appears to have an additional $750 incentive in mfg cash so the suggested prices seem to align. Edmunds numbers are a good benchmark. I wouldn't expect to beat that number significantly in the market as the dealer is already at negative unit margin and thus only making money on financing and the manufacturer's holdback and volume incentives.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, by nature a Corolla is a very difficult car to negotiate on. They sell in volume and don't have a ton of margin loaded in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I had a whole margin walk on it but I decided not to post. Basically the cheaper the car the lower the dealer's (and OEM's) margin in both % and dollars, and the harder it is to deal significantly below invoice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I bought a thing today

It's a 2007 with 99k miles. The HID's flicker which is a known thing and I have a new pair on the way and then I'll probably do an LED swap once it starts again. I have a post purchase inspection set up for next week just to see if it needs anything. When I picked it up they said they had something like 10 people waiting in case I backed out. I'm not surprised and I'm glad I was able to drive it a couple hours after they posted the ad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm just gonna say that my mom switched the bulbs in her 09 like 4 years ago and the flicker never came back. I've heard the bulbs are a pain in the dick to replace.
Congrats on the extremely reliable appliance.
Make sure the water pump doesn't leak.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Please don't do an LED swap. The housings and lenses won't be appropriate and you will blind oncoming drivers. I have never seen an LED retrofit that didn't blind others.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Proposed budget: 25k, though I might be able to push 30k, depending.
New or used: Don't care.
Body Style: Looking at crossovers, SUVs, hatchbacks
Expected use: Car/hike camping (1-2x/month, including gravel road though not off-roading) with 2 adults and carseat child, backyard farming supply runs (bags of soil/feed, rarely lumber materials), grocery runs, occasional (2-4x/year) distance driving with cargo; not regular commuter
Important Aspects: Reliability, fuel efficiency, cargo capability

Currently driving a 2011 Chevy Equinox that has been mostly fine, except it's been in the shop twice now in a year for engine problems (most recent is timing chain). I'm looking to start research sooner than later to have some idea on cars before this one goes into the shop again and pisses me off. Our other car is a Bolt for our commuting and general cruising needs, the SUV/cargo vehicle is what we'd take camping, hiking, and using for dirtier and larger cargo hauling applications. I generally have near 0 understanding of cars.

I've been intrigued by the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid (though the lack of cargo is a worry) and the Ford Escape Hybrid (which has closer to my current cargo capabilities). I can't do Kia - long story. Otherwise, I don't care about brands.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crosstrek is small and expensive and kind of poo poo. It's a decent buy at $20K it's a poo poo buy at $35K. I would stay away from the new Escape as Ford has hosed up every single recent product launch. If you want a hybrid CUV the RAV4 is like, right there.

RAV4, CR-V, Outback, CX-5 blah blah the usual. If you really plan to get it dirty I might advise against the CX-5 since one of its selling points is a very nice interior.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Crosstrek is small and expensive and kind of poo poo. It's a decent buy at $20K it's a poo poo buy at $35K. I would stay away from the new Escape as Ford has hosed up every single recent product launch. If you want a hybrid CUV the RAV4 is like, right there.

RAV4, CR-V, Outback, CX-5 blah blah the usual. If you really plan to get it dirty I might advise against the CX-5 since one of its selling points is a very nice interior.

Great, I'll take a look at those.

CX-5 is probably out :V

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Size wise the Forester is closer to those others than an Outback. Nothing wrong with either, just pointing out that the current Outback is basically a full sized SUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

incogneato posted:

Size wise the Forester is closer to those others than an Outback. Nothing wrong with either, just pointing out that the current Outback is basically a full sized SUV.

True, true, Forester also a good choice. I kind of prefer the form factor of the Outback as even though it's very much a big car it's still more wagon-y than the Forester. You can get in to the Forester for less $ though.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
HEY a long time ago in this thread, just a few days before the pandemic hit I asked about buying a small car in europe. For a long time we were unable to leave our apartment so the whole idea of buying a car was long forgotten. But now it is back!

Budget: under 20k€ please
Type: Compact. Hatchback or a tiny suv thing. Needs to fit a kid in a car seat and maybe the odd grandparent.
Quiet (low road noise) and a nice interior. Android Auto.

One of my questions was gas vs diesel and one person said diesel without much explanation.

I am willfully ignorant of car things so is there some specific reason diesel is better? Originally I had mentioned the car would be used for weekend road trips, not city driving (still true). Maybe that is why.

Also, I have noticed most diesels are turbos. Isn't that just one more thing to break or I shouldn't care?

Anyway, I'm still in love with the Citroen C3 or maaaybe a C4 Cactus. I know there is a totally new C4 coming soon but I don't really want to wait and imho it is ugly and looks big :colbert:.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

C4 Cactus diesel if you like it, done. Very decent cars. Cool. The interior is cheap but interesting. I am not sure the prior gen C4 came with Android Auto, so double check that. I don't love the C3 and the C4 has better space.

You want the diesel because PSA makes good diesel engines and generally they hold resale better. Because of tax structures, diesel cars are generally cheaper to run in Europe. Be aware that there are some regulations afoot to ban various diesel cars from urban areas, so if you are in an urban core you may want to look in to local regulations. Right now the newest cars will probably be exempt but that will certainly change over time.

All small gas engines have turbos now too. Welcome to the glorious future. Turbos can break but this isn't 1980s Saabs anymore. They usually are a lifetime part. By the time they break you're pushing 250k kms and you probably are considering replacing the car for other reasons.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pontius Pilate posted:

Are the last bmw 3 and 5 series wagons with a manual a horrible idea because of maintenance, scarcity and thus price, and/or yes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Meatpimp in AI is a pretty handy dude and he owned (granted a somewhat tired example with no service history) an E61 535ixT with a manual. You should read his thread in AI first. I offered to buy the car off of him and he straight up told me I didn’t want it.

All of the foibles and problems of cost-cutting era BMW, now in a 50-150% more expensive package

Edit it was a E60, we didn’t get the F10

Sorry, late to the party here, but yeah... it's my non-professional opinion to avoid all modern BMWs. They are built to initially impress, not for longevity.

In the case of the E60, there's plenty of information on its myriad failures, but let's talk for a moment about just the E61 wagon version. It has ALL of the failure modes of the E60, plus:

A complicated hydraulic system for opening the tailgate. Over time, the system leaks and the hydraulic fluid reservoir runs low, so the tailgate won't open on its own. Solutions? $$$ repair, or buy some $60/quart fluid, remove most of the driver's side rear components to get to the reservoir, make a hole and use a syringe to refill.

A poo poo-tier wiring harness that is about 1" too short on the wires that go from the body to the tailgate. This results in the wires being stressed and breaking, removing such features as: rear defrost, license plate light, rear glass release, rear tailgate release, rear wiper, etc. Solution? Drop the headliner and all tailgate trim, buy a $300 wiring kit or make your own, identify the broken wire point and splice in extra wire on the 25 wires that go to the tailgate.

A set of electronics mounted at the lowest part of the trunk floor, where they would be submerged if there were any water leaks, and... hey!... a great huge panoramic sunroof... that more common than not, leaks. There was a relocation TSB, but all cars didn't get it, so there's still the risk. And if there is wet electronics? $$$

I'm sure there's more that I'm not immediately pulling up, but yeah, modern BMWs are terrible after a few years of use.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

C4 Cactus diesel if you like it, done. Very decent cars. Cool. The interior is cheap but interesting. I am not sure the prior gen C4 came with Android Auto, so double check that. I don't love the C3 and the C4 has better space.

You want the diesel because PSA makes good diesel engines and generally they hold resale better. Because of tax structures, diesel cars are generally cheaper to run in Europe. Be aware that there are some regulations afoot to ban various diesel cars from urban areas, so if you are in an urban core you may want to look in to local regulations. Right now the newest cars will probably be exempt but that will certainly change over time.

All small gas engines have turbos now too. Welcome to the glorious future. Turbos can break but this isn't 1980s Saabs anymore. They usually are a lifetime part. By the time they break you're pushing 250k kms and you probably are considering replacing the car for other reasons.

Yeah all the 2020 C3 and C4 have android auto. With all the random rentals we've had I've yet to have one that didn't have android auto!

Interesting you say the C4 interior feels cheap because we went and sat in new Citroens, Renaults, Fords, and Peugeots and to us the Citroen and Peugeots seemed to have the most "quality" feel to them. The Renault and Fords were a much more "cheap plastic" experience.

I really really liked the Peugeot 208 but at least around here it was quite a bit more expensive out the door. Similarly, we also liked the Seat Leon we rented but at the end of the day it is kinda boring and imho costs more than it should given what you get.

Hmm I've been reading some random google results about diesel cars in europe and a lot of places are warning that due to the bans you mention, the resale value of diesels is expected to be really hurting long term. So while they used to be a safe choice that is no longer the case. I don't know what to make of them but if everything else is equal maybe I can avoid diesel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I hate the small steering wheel and high gauges of the Peugeots so I would never buy one.

The stupid digital dash on the C4 feels really cheap to me and there's no tach. Everything else is fine or competitive. I have not driven a newer one so it may have changed, I think the last one I drove was like a 2017 or something. The airbump revision sucks, bring back the prominent airbumps. I don't like the little 1.2 PureTech PSA gas engine, I think it sounds lovely and doesn't like to rev, so you might as well get diesel. If you get the gas engine I suggest getting the biggest one you can, which is ~130hp.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I totally agree that the reduced airbump is terrible. That's like 80% of the car's charm!

I have almost been charmed by the suzuki ignis but the trunk space is miniscule and the interior looks a bit too sparse for my taste.

Anyway, I still think we're aiming for the smaller C3. The trunk space is only slightly smaller than a C4 and it is half a foot shorter. Also also the 2020 C3 had a small makeover so the interior tech stuff is a bit better than the about-to-be-replaced C4.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Edmunds numbers include OEM incentives. You can see the price walk on the model page if this link works

Note this is my local market which appears to have an additional $750 incentive in mfg cash so the suggested prices seem to align. Edmunds numbers are a good benchmark. I wouldn't expect to beat that number significantly in the market as the dealer is already at negative unit margin and thus only making money on financing and the manufacturer's holdback and volume incentives.

I ended up getting the 2021 model for $800 under invoice (per Edmunds, not MSRP) before the $1k cash back, so $1800 under with the cash back! Didn't even have to haggle, just shop around, so pretty happy with that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sounds like a good deal and you are happy with it! good job!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I asked this in one of the AI VW threads, but that seems to be more for repairs, so I didn't get a response. So here goes again

How do we feel about the 2020 VW GLI? I have a 2012 version, which I generally like, but it's getting on a bit, and I'd like to trade it in while it still has some value.

I was thinking about leasing the 2020 version, but I know nothing about lease hacking, if there is such a thing . I also don't know if the 2020 GLI is a good car, other than the very positive reviews I've seen online.

lastly, I was wondering if there was a car leasing service I could use, as I think there is nothing more demoralizing, frustrating, and rage inducing than buying a car. If someone else could take care of the majority of the paperwork, and I only show up to deliver my trade in and sign the papers, that would be great.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

null_pointer posted:

I asked this in one of the AI VW threads, but that seems to be more for repairs, so I didn't get a response. So here goes again

How do we feel about the 2020 VW GLI? I have a 2012 version, which I generally like, but it's getting on a bit, and I'd like to trade it in while it still has some value.

I was thinking about leasing the 2020 version, but I know nothing about lease hacking, if there is such a thing . I also don't know if the 2020 GLI is a good car, other than the very positive reviews I've seen online.

lastly, I was wondering if there was a car leasing service I could use, as I think there is nothing more demoralizing, frustrating, and rage inducing than buying a car. If someone else could take care of the majority of the paperwork, and I only show up to deliver my trade in and sign the papers, that would be great.

If you want to lease, check out LeaseHackr. You'll need to find someone in your area and pay them a commission, but there are deals to be had (not necessarily on a VW, but in general).

https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/marketplace/7

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 19, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

other people posted:

I totally agree that the reduced airbump is terrible. That's like 80% of the car's charm!

I have almost been charmed by the suzuki ignis but the trunk space is miniscule and the interior looks a bit too sparse for my taste.

Hello, Ignis (2018) owner here. The Ignis was the first car I owned that was made this century, so I may be a bit biased, but I really love it, because it was exactly what I wanted: a small city car that you can maneuver anywhere. It can fit into any space and parking is a breeze. I'm usually driving through small, one lane roads with scooters lined up on both sides and I couldn't imagine doing that in a bigger car (even though I do see people doing it, they are better drivers than I.) The space in the back is good for 4 and should fit most car seats no problem. It also gets great gas mileage, so I'm filling up the tiny, tiny gas tank once a month. The climate control is easy to use and not connected to the touch screen, which I consider a plus. And, you know...it's cheap, even the more expensive model. One of the cheapest new cars out there in most places. So cheap I bought the whole thing outright. And I haven't had any issues or repairs yet - and even if you do, Suzuki repairs are supposed to be cheap.

The cons are:

Trunk space. There is very little, even when putting the back seats down, and the 4-seater AWD model has even less (I don't have that one, not offered in my country.) Hard to put a family of 4's luggage all in there. I couldn't fit my new TV in there (65 in), but I could fit the old one (40-in).

Lack of amenities. Mine didn't come with roof handles. It doesn't even have a center armrest (I bought an aftermarket one that sits on the center cup holder.) It has that weird umbrella pocket over the glove box that doesn't seem to fit any umbrellas I own. I didn't even get a trunk light. I guessing some of this stuff would be standard in Europe, but...well not everywhere is Europe. Everything is hard plastic. The seats are not that comfy for long drives - the longest I spent was 2 and a half hours and I was starting to get bent out of shape, and I'm not a big guy.

Soundproofing. Over 100 kph and it gets LOUD. This car was not designed for long highway driving. You can hear the radio pretty clearly when standing outside of the car, playing at medium volume.

So I would say get a test drive of it or maybe wait until next year's model comes out. I don't think any of the interior is changing but they're changing the grill and getting rid of the big black bumper piece. If you're doing alot of highway driving, then its probably a pass.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

GoutPatrol posted:

Hello, Ignis (2018) owner here. The Ignis was the first car I owned that was made this century, so I may be a bit biased, but I really love it, because it was exactly what I wanted: a small city car that you can maneuver anywhere. It can fit into any space and parking is a breeze. I'm usually driving through small, one lane roads with scooters lined up on both sides and I couldn't imagine doing that in a bigger car (even though I do see people doing it, they are better drivers than I.) The space in the back is good for 4 and should fit most car seats no problem. It also gets great gas mileage, so I'm filling up the tiny, tiny gas tank once a month. The climate control is easy to use and not connected to the touch screen, which I consider a plus. And, you know...it's cheap, even the more expensive model. One of the cheapest new cars out there in most places. So cheap I bought the whole thing outright. And I haven't had any issues or repairs yet - and even if you do, Suzuki repairs are supposed to be cheap.

The cons are:

Trunk space. There is very little, even when putting the back seats down, and the 4-seater AWD model has even less (I don't have that one, not offered in my country.) Hard to put a family of 4's luggage all in there. I couldn't fit my new TV in there (65 in), but I could fit the old one (40-in).

Lack of amenities. Mine didn't come with roof handles. It doesn't even have a center armrest (I bought an aftermarket one that sits on the center cup holder.) It has that weird umbrella pocket over the glove box that doesn't seem to fit any umbrellas I own. I didn't even get a trunk light. I guessing some of this stuff would be standard in Europe, but...well not everywhere is Europe. Everything is hard plastic. The seats are not that comfy for long drives - the longest I spent was 2 and a half hours and I was starting to get bent out of shape, and I'm not a big guy.

Soundproofing. Over 100 kph and it gets LOUD. This car was not designed for long highway driving. You can hear the radio pretty clearly when standing outside of the car, playing at medium volume.

So I would say get a test drive of it or maybe wait until next year's model comes out. I don't think any of the interior is changing but they're changing the grill and getting rid of the big black bumper piece. If you're doing alot of highway driving, then its probably a pass.

Wow; thank you for this.

We hope to use the car for some long road trips so we want something with decent trunk space and would prefer something comfortable and quiet so for those reasons the ignis is not the best match. But it is super cute, tiny, and cheap. I kinda wish they made a fancy version.

Now I'm going back and forth about whether to buy or rent. Here in Spain, "auto renting" is a service where you effectively are leasing a car but the fixed monthly fee includes full insurance, *all* maintenance costs, tyres, handling of parking tickets, loaner car, etc. All you pay for out of pocket is gas, and for that they even give you a discounted gas card. At the end of the period you can get a new car or sometimes there is an option to buy.

It is quite popular here and awful tempting as for me, dealing with all the maintenance crap is not something I look forward to (I don't really speak spanish) so to have that all arranged is kinda nice. But when renting you don't always have a lot of choice about the car.

And then of course, when it is all over at the end of the day you have nothing to show for all those payments >:(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What do you mean by parking tickets included? Parking fees of sorts or actual violations?