Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eegah! posted:

Looks like the next big update is coming next year, but we're getting a patch in November thats gonna change fluids. Don't know in what way yet.

Hopefully adds sink/overflow options. My bauxite line produces 300 water which should be consumed by 4 refiners each using 75 at the start, but i slowly gain water and have to flush the fluid buffer between them once every 5ish hours. all the lines say steady at 300, but the mystery water still piles up slowly.

Mile'ionaha posted:

At last you will finally have enough screws!

gonna have so many screws. I just wish you could just dump the output of a line onto the ground like fallout 4. so i could fill the map with screws and drop my framerate down to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Splitters leading to splitters leading to cargo containers.

I put all my important stuff in one spot, and I think it looks rather nifty. Just don't look at any other aspect of my production line, please.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eegah! posted:

Looks like the next big update is coming next year, but we're getting a patch in November thats gonna change fluids. Don't know in what way yet.

That's ... mildly disappointing. So besides any pandemic related slowdowns that's a long cycle. Guess it's possible that the next update will be both the plot and the tier 8 stuff at the same time.

Powershift posted:

Hopefully adds sink/overflow options. My bauxite line produces 300 water which should be consumed by 4 refiners each using 75 at the start, but i slowly gain water and have to flush the fluid buffer between them once every 5ish hours. all the lines say steady at 300, but the mystery water still piles up slowly.

Package the water and throw it into a sink? (The trick here is to put the water packaging refinery higher than the bauxite refineries, so it only gets the overflow.)

But yeah with water in particular it would be cool if there was a spigot part so you could have water just dump out. But only if it produced a stream of water visually flowing out of the pipe.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Update 2 to Update 3 was like a year, so that checks out.

I do hope they put in T8 stuff though, I haven't had the desire to slog through T7 because there's no real objective to work towards - having more/easier power is...eh.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

All I want is a second body slot.

Having to chose between blade runners, jetpack, and gas mask is a pain.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BisbyWorl posted:

I was super excited when I got the jet pack thinking it would stack on the blade runners...drat what a let down.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

The official excuse for this is "The game isn;t balanced for it," but I completely agree with you. If there's one quality of life feature I want for this game it's just allow us to have anything on our bodies at any time, it sucks so much (in an inconvenient, not a challenging way) having to swap it around.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just let me build a nuclear powered helicopter and I'd be good.

Edit: And maybe a boat.

Edit 2: Also nuclear powered.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Joda posted:

The official excuse for this is "The game isn;t balanced for it," but I completely agree with you. If there's one quality of life feature I want for this game it's just allow us to have anything on our bodies at any time, it sucks so much (in an inconvenient, not a challenging way) having to swap it around.

Especially since wearing roller blades, leaf blower and a gas mask at the same time isn't something that can't be physically done.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re: screws:

1. steel screws is the better recipe, something like 5 times the number of screws per iron.
2. Just direct feed them from an assembler directly above or below (or behind if you're suicidal for space) and direct feed, most recipes that need appreciable number of screws need like 150+ a minute anyway so that's pointless feeding off a main bus. Just belt steel plates instead and turn them into screws as needed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Joda posted:

I'd be absolutely fine if it was *just* the gas mask that got a seperate head slot, and the other stuff continued to require swaps. Then maybe come up with one other thing that can use a head slot -- night vision goggles maybe?

The jetpack and blades I can see the game balance reason to make them exclusive. The rad suit is so special-purpose, you only really need it a couple times ever. If you need a rad suit to walk around your base you need to stop watching let's game it out as an instructional video. And the parachutes I swap on and off even when I didn't have anything else invented. Wearing parachutes when you're not jumping off high places means you constantly waste them with any accidental double hit of the spacebar.

Personally I agree that that the game isn't "balanced" for the exo-suit mod. Cool that the mod exists, I don't want it though. (But if tier 8 stuff is inherently radioactive or something this opinion will change.)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I mean, if you absolutely have to, just make the air speed drop to normal speed when using the jetpack, it's just such a pain in the rear end to swap poo poo around all the time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Joda posted:

I mean, if you absolutely have to, just make the air speed drop to normal speed when using the jetpack, it's just such a pain in the rear end to swap poo poo around all the time.

Don't take away my conveyer belt launches :argh:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The first mod I installed was the exosuit one that lets you have both the jetpack and the blade runners. That costs a set of blade runners, a jetpack, and some other poo poo.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Having the jetpack and blade runners simultaneously lets you spend less time in the inventory screen swapping them and maybe build a few fewer concrete platforms and conveyor ramps to grab powerups placed on top of mushrooms and mesas. I'm not sure what the balance issue is in a game where you can just build a towering brutalist edifice anywhere you please

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Having the jetpack and blade runners simultaneously lets you spend less time in the inventory screen swapping them and maybe build a few fewer concrete platforms and conveyor ramps to grab powerups placed on top of mushrooms and mesas. I'm not sure what the balance issue is in a game where you can just build a towering brutalist edifice anywhere you please

it's always funny to me when a game requires quality of life mods that change very simple things like stats, and the game dev just will not add it to the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think all you'd really need is to be able to quick-swap back slots like you can hand equipment. It's not like you actually need both blade runners and the jetpack simultaneously; and limiting to one slot allows them to keep using gas fields as places you can't use your jetpack.

As a bonus you might end up wasting fewer half-used filters that way when you take off the gas mask.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my strategy for dealing with toxic fart clouds so far has been to just dash in, grab the item, then dash back out, cramming nuts in my mouth the entire time. I've been too lazy to research the gas mask and don't want to yield two inventory slots to mask + filters

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Clark Nova posted:

my strategy for dealing with toxic fart clouds so far has been to just dash in, grab the item, then dash back out, cramming nuts in my mouth the entire time. I've been too lazy to research the gas mask and don't want to yield two inventory slots to mask + filters

Would you say that the real endgame hazard management of Satisfactory is "deez nuts?"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:golfclap: yeah, pretty much

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Greenhouses, for organized nut production onto conveyors, and Tissue Printers as well in order to automate inhalers.

The Huff must flow.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hell I'd be happy if you could just make inhalers in assemblers/manufacturers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tenebrais posted:

Hell I'd be happy if you could just make inhalers in assemblers/manufacturers.

Hold the absolute gently caress up, you can't? I haven't ever tried due to how low the volume of the ingredients and final product generally is, and how rarely I use them, but that is deeply dumb

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LonsomeSon posted:

Hold the absolute gently caress up, you can't? I haven't ever tried due to how low the volume of the ingredients and final product generally is, and how rarely I use them, but that is deeply dumb

You can't make any type of equipment in machines. Only consumables that are used by the equipment (ammo, filters for the mask or radsuit, paint cartridges).

VVV edit: yes, because they're used in other automated recipes

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You can absolutely automate beacons.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there a good guide to fluid anywhere? Trying to expand my coal and it just doesn't have flow. And now I'm going to have to build a ton of biomass gens to power all the pumps while I troubleshoot the drat thing.

Also for a game that keeps telling me to build vertically, it sure loving punishes you for going up. Why are there no good ladder? why when climbing stackable belts does it rocket me off the top?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 14, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a good guide to fluid anywhere? Trying to expand my coal and it just doesn't have flow. And now I'm going to have to build a ton of biomass gens to power all the pumps while I troubleshoot the drat thing.

I found these infographics from the wiki very useful:

At some point I'd love to do a write-up about "pipe slosh" with some experiments to find how much it can actually affect flow rate, because it's a phenomenon that I've observed in practice but only on the small scale. I want to make a deliberate attempt at a worst case scenario, but without a creative mode it's just :effort:.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Why are there no good ladder? why when climbing stackable belts does it rocket me off the top?

Ladders always suck in video games. I dunno why it's rocketing you off the top of the stackable supports though, that doesn't happen to me. Unless the ceiling is too low when you get to the top of a ladder, that can do weird things.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The belt stackers absolutely have some kind of launch when you get to the top. Trying to climb and stand on top of one feels like walking on buttered bread. I'm all about the walkways. They're purchase #1 when I get the shop unlocked.

Building up is indeed terrible. To me, it's because that there's no consideration for building down. Lifts not being reversible is some next-level arbitrary design poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lifts can absolutely go down I'm not sure what you're talking about.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Lifts can absolutely go down I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Yep, i got stuck not knowing how to do it too, but you start from wherever, up or down and then pull and it'll go that direction. Don't think you can just reverse it though like in factorio.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I’m starting to wish there were floor platforms you could attach to an elevator or something just so I don’t have to build ramps everywhere for my vehicles.

E: or a crane of some sort that I can automate.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yep, i got stuck not knowing how to do it too, but you start from wherever, up or down and then pull and it'll go that direction. Don't think you can just reverse it though like in factorio.

You can't, which is unfortunate. But if you're building starting from one spot and the lift's conveyor direction is the wrong way, you can slap down a tiny bit of conveyor on two posts going to the spot you want the lift. Attaching a lift to a conveyor will pick up the conveyor's direction.

Another helpful tip: conveyor lifts snap to conveyor posts, even if it's just an isolated post. So if you're having difficulty building a lift for some reason, it can be easier to go to the other spot and plop a post on the edge of your floor, cliff, or whatever.

Conveyor lifts are pretty annoying and I wish they weren't so persnickety with bounding boxes, but if you play around with them for a while you will figure out their internal rules for placement and you eventually know how to handle them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
reversing a lift wouldn't even really make sense--all conveyer belts are one-way because they always connect an output to an input

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's just when you want to build a conveyor lift that moves items down, you need to connect it to something to force the direction. You can't build it from the ground on the bottom and have it move items down.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

nielsm posted:

It's just when you want to build a conveyor lift that moves items down, you need to connect it to something to force the direction. You can't build it from the ground on the bottom and have it move items down.
You can, you just need to build the output (ground-level) belt first, even a temp one, and then connect the lift to that (and drag up).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PancakeTransmission posted:

You can, you just need to build the output (ground-level) belt first, even a temp one, and then connect the lift to that (and drag up).

Yes that's exactly my point. You can't start with the lift, you need to prepare something else first.

Edit: I think the best way to handle this UI would be to have lifts be directionless until they connect to something else. The first thing to connect to the lift should fix its direction.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 15, 2020

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ack! I've fiddled with them so much I was sure it wasn't possible. I'm going to be tearing out a bunch of stuff when I get back to it. Factorio firmly has my attention for the moment.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Eegah! posted:

I just noticed that the pipes in the background of the steam news update have non-orange colors

So at least that's getting added :rory:

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I keep saying I'm done 'til next patch, and then I come back.

I finished my vertical hyper-Refinery. Also my first factory with actual walls (on two sides, anyhow)

Why bother with so much fluid lift? I wanted to preserve the view of the weird oil blossoms on the surface, so my train line does a big loop down through the monster infested petrofleur fields!

A dedicated train hauls the production to my satellite plant, but could potentially haul it anywhere in the world.

Also, trains are awesome, but hella finicky. Expanding a station from 4 freight platforms to 6 required deleting and rebuilding the tracks and the platform at least 3 times before it all hooked up properly.

But now I can call a train to any future platform and it'll show up laden with cement, copper plates, wires and cables, rods and plates, alclad aluminum, and more train track parts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Klyith posted:

I found these infographics from the wiki very useful:

At some point I'd love to do a write-up about "pipe slosh" with some experiments to find how much it can actually affect flow rate, because it's a phenomenon that I've observed in practice but only on the small scale. I want to make a deliberate attempt at a worst case scenario, but without a creative mode it's just :effort:.

Ladders always suck in video games. I dunno why it's rocketing you off the top of the stackable supports though, that doesn't happen to me. Unless the ceiling is too low when you get to the top of a ladder, that can do weird things.

These are super helpful thank you!

Now for my next question. How does the game handle having multiple trucks using the same station? I'm thinking about having resource depots for copper, iron, plastic etc, then having multiple trucks hitting those to go to my various production lines. So can I have multiple trucks hit a resource pickup depot, then have multiple trucks all drop off at one depot for production?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 15, 2020