Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

valuum posted:

Thoughts on this Scy? The guild is pretty much a stepping stone guild anyway, but it's still a nice stepping stone. At the very least promote some people to something somewhat officery so some maintenance can be done. Or log in and remove all the pending invites and update the guild motd ;-*

I gave Bee perms to invite/remove people and promote a while ago. I left myself as GM because my house is still available for use as a crafting hall/bank that way people can port there at their leisure, since I have every base station.

I have no intention of reinstalling, unless ZOS gets off their lazy asses and actually fixes their dogshit performance and makes PvP fun again (spoiler: not happening).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Could I get an invite to chill bros on @srypherdev

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I'd like an invite too @gwafimore

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

New patch notes posted:

Vigor: This ability is now first in the skill line to unlock, and has swapped places with Rapid Maneuvers in efforts to help builds focused on Stamina to have a healthier leveling experience. Previous XP gained in both of these skills will be retained, but if your Assault skill line is too low to obtain the 3rd skill, you will have to level it in order to gain access to Rapid Maneuvers again.
Wonderful. There's nothing I like more than being forced to do PVP with undergeared alts just to get a skill that I use in PVE areas. It seems to me that if vigor is that vital to a healthy leveling experience, it shouldn't be in the PVP line, but I'm pretty sure that ship sailed a long time ago.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

g0del posted:

Wonderful. There's nothing I like more than being forced to do PVP with undergeared alts just to get a skill that I use in PVE areas. It seems to me that if vigor is that vital to a healthy leveling experience, it shouldn't be in the PVP line, but I'm pretty sure that ship sailed a long time ago.

I like the go-fast button too, but as somebody who hates PvP and has been constantly frustrated by the lack of self-healing utility for solo stamina builds, this is a loving godsend. I'd love to live in a world where neither of those skills is reserved for the PvP line, but I like this change.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

g0del posted:

What the bloody loving hell. Rapid maneuver is my most used skill in the game and I hate pvp. This is beyond ridiculous.

e: hahah at assault rank 5 even. Honestly might just never play again.

valuum fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 24, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The best part is that getting Assault 5 is piss easy these days and that change was completely un-loving-necessary. It's literally a bunch of whiny bitch babies still crying about not wanting to sandbag a few BGs to get rank 5.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Scyantific posted:

The best part is that getting Assault 5 is piss easy these days and that change was completely un-loving-necessary. It's literally a bunch of whiny bitch babies still crying about not wanting to sandbag a few BGs to get rank 5.

I wonder why no one wants to do pvp?

:iiam:

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, they could have made Vigor rank 2, left Rapid Maneuver at 1, then everyone who hates PVP could have just picked "Skip Tutorial" with that NPC and had everything they need without dragging down someone else's BG queue or whatever.

Or just make them main quest unlocks instead of the Soul Magic tree nobody cares about outside the passive to churn out soul gems.

Poe fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 25, 2020

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I've been playing this a lot with a friend of mine after never really getting into it, despite buying both the original game when it came out, and later preordering elsweyr to get that and the other expansions, and the experience is still weird. First of all, while polished, this game may be one of the most busted MMOs on the systems level I have ever played. I got multiple characters get stuck in queue and had to spend days figuring out a solution for how to break them out of being in a false queued state that would persist past logouts. On top of that, the dungeon queue has done weird things besides that such as trying to put our sub level 40 characters into a champion dungeon and immediately telling us we can't teleport to that zone (and then putting us in a 15 minute wait time to requeue), or having queues sometimes not work and then we can dequeue and requeue and have it pop immediately. Random load screens while running around. FPS that varies from ok to abysmal (in Glenumbra I get <35 fps while looking in one specific direction on my Geforce 2060 super).

The game is a mess.

It's pretty fun though, or at least we're having fun for now. The problem seems to be that everything is just sort of messy. I feel like you fight too many monsters at a time, so things are just chaotic. Tanking is just weird (run around jabbing '3' to single pull the 8 mobs in this group). Healing is probably the easiest in any mmo I've ever played. And overall the game is too easy at this level, but apparently it gets hard? I don't know why so many MMOs, especially "action" mmos, fall into this trap of making things stupid easy for a huge amount of time only to ramp up the difficulty by an insane amount later. It ends up making the old content super unsatisfying (looking at you Neverwinter).

Do you have to be online to get a guild invite though? Is the account handle all you need for that? Just saying I would love an invite to whatever guild is left (@cutedge)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In a not so shocking turn of events, guards are now literally looting your entire bag of items regardless of whether they're flagged as stolen or not.

How this game continually fucks up completely unrelated things every patch is beyond surprising.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Scyantific posted:

In a not so shocking turn of events, guards are now literally looting your entire bag of items regardless of whether they're flagged as stolen or not.

How this game continually fucks up completely unrelated things every patch is beyond surprising.

This is at least more accurate to real police though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah, how do you think the guards can afford their military grade equipment?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Scyantific posted:

When did this start? It did not happen to me last night on PS4 at least.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Trastion posted:

When did this start? It did not happen to me last night on PS4 at least.

After Monday's update

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Must be a PC thing because it's not happening to me on PS4. I have been doing Brotherhood stuff so I am always wanted by the guards and get stopped a lot. If I don't have much I just pay and only lose my stolen goods. If I ahve a lot of stuff I run...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Trastion posted:

Must be a PC thing because it's not happening to me on PS4. I have been doing Brotherhood stuff so I am always wanted by the guards and get stopped a lot. If I don't have much I just pay and only lose my stolen goods. If I have a lot of stuff I run...

PC gets updates before the consoles do. Consoles are usually a couple weeks to a month behind.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Is there a good starter guide for builds and classes for newbies? This seems like an MMO I could enjoy but the class progression sounds daunting. Like you can royally ruin a character if you haven't decided on build strategy from the beginning.

Is this the wrong perception? Can I just play this game with whatever upgrades and abilities I feel like?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

GeorgieMordor posted:

Is there a good starter guide for builds and classes for newbies? This seems like an MMO I could enjoy but the class progression sounds daunting. Like you can royally ruin a character if you haven't decided on build strategy from the beginning.

Is this the wrong perception? Can I just play this game with whatever upgrades and abilities I feel like?

New player guides here are pretty good. Scroll down for class levelling guides and starter builds to aim for. The other general guides are pretty useful if there's any bits in particular that you want to know more about.

Do not worry about bricking a character. Levelling content, questing and normal dungeons are mostly very forgiving, you'll probably be slow if you're making it up as you go along, just . The game gives you plenty of skill points so you shouldn't run out unless you're trying to level all the crafting or weapon skill lines at once. Attribute points you can make a mistake with, but it's not a big deal while levelling. If you get through that and want to go full meta for endgame content you can respec with in game gold, it's only expensive if you do that a lot.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Deformed Church posted:

New player guides here are pretty good. Scroll down for class levelling guides and starter builds to aim for. The other general guides are pretty useful if there's any bits in particular that you want to know more about.

Do not worry about bricking a character. Levelling content, questing and normal dungeons are mostly very forgiving, you'll probably be slow if you're making it up as you go along, just . The game gives you plenty of skill points so you shouldn't run out unless you're trying to level all the crafting or weapon skill lines at once. Attribute points you can make a mistake with, but it's not a big deal while levelling. If you get through that and want to go full meta for endgame content you can respec with in game gold, it's only expensive if you do that a lot.

That all sounds pretty reasonable. Thanks for the insight here.

I'd already stumbled on the build guides at Alcast and that's what got me wondering about leveling strategy in the first place. I will probably use them as a rough guide and give a Stamina Templar a go, but it sounds like I'm cool to ease up on my meta-gaming neurosis a bit and savor the... adventure. For the most part anyway.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
If you are leveling your first toon, and are not set on a stamina based or magicka based spec, you could do far worse than a Dunmer Templar. While mine has been mag based for 90 percent of the past 3 years, I did level 2H and Bow (having previously leveled DW as that was the style at the time for mag templar) and have bummed around in PVP a bit and there was no PVE content that was an issue.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, this game is pretty forgiving in that way, the only thing you risk losing is time (aw poo poo I need X and I haven't levelled it yet) and some gold (aww poo poo I put points in health and mag).

Even race is changeable with some crowns.

The only unchangeable thing is your class, but that's what alts are for. :v:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I'm making a crafting character right now. to level up provisioning I crafted 200 crispy cheesy chickens. anytime anyone in zone chat asks for anything I send them 5 chickens with the subject "yum yum eat the chicken"

I've had a handful returned, a couple of guild invites and more than a few "wtf" whispers but I still haven't seen anyone complain about it on reddit.

wasting time in this game is fun and I probably need to be stopped.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I'm making a crafting character right now. to level up provisioning I crafted 200 crispy cheesy chickens. anytime anyone in zone chat asks for anything I send them 5 chickens with the subject "yum yum eat the chicken"

I've had a handful returned, a couple of guild invites and more than a few "wtf" whispers but I still haven't seen anyone complain about it on reddit.

wasting time in this game is fun and I probably need to be stopped.

You...you goddamn monster!

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

So with this Imperial City event, I'm relatively new to the whole thing and don't really know where or how to dive in. I want to farm as much gold out of this as possible. Anyone have suggestions over the best way to turn Tel Var stones into cold hard cash? What should I convert them into? And what activities within the whole IC/Sewers clusterfuck should I focus on?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Innocuous posted:

So with this Imperial City event, I'm relatively new to the whole thing and don't really know where or how to dive in. I want to farm as much gold out of this as possible. Anyone have suggestions over the best way to turn Tel Var stones into cold hard cash? What should I convert them into? And what activities within the whole IC/Sewers clusterfuck should I focus on?
Tel Var to buy either the alchemy mat satchels or Hakeijo and then sell those on a guild trader is the most effective way to convert it to gold. Unless you're good at pvp, though, farming Telvar during an event full of gankers is not at all a good way to make gold. Every death you lose half of what you have on you so unless you're very confident you want to deposit them in the bank as often as possible, but you only get good telvar drops if you go out with a good amount to begin with. It's a risk/reward thing, but for most people the risk is way higher than the reward.

I go in with no telvar, do the daily quests and when I die I go turn it in and get the reward telvar, which is about 1000 in the event and more than I could hope to make killing things. I deposit it and go for the next daily. It's absolutely not efficient at all though, all sorts of overland stuff will get me much more gold in the same time with a lot less frustration.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Tel Var to buy either the alchemy mat satchels or Hakeijo and then sell those on a guild trader is the most effective way to convert it to gold. Unless you're good at pvp, though, farming Telvar during an event full of gankers is not at all a good way to make gold. Every death you lose half of what you have on you so unless you're very confident you want to deposit them in the bank as often as possible, but you only get good telvar drops if you go out with a good amount to begin with. It's a risk/reward thing, but for most people the risk is way higher than the reward.

I go in with no telvar, do the daily quests and when I die I go turn it in and get the reward telvar, which is about 1000 in the event and more than I could hope to make killing things. I deposit it and go for the next daily. It's absolutely not efficient at all though, all sorts of overland stuff will get me much more gold in the same time with a lot less frustration.

I'm probably going to run Nightblade so I can hopefully dip out on some of the ganks, I'm way less competent at pvp on my Templar main and it was pretty rough earlier. Thanks for the advice. Any overland gold farming suggestions?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Innocuous posted:

I'm probably going to run Nightblade so I can hopefully dip out on some of the ganks, I'm way less competent at pvp on my Templar main and it was pretty rough earlier. Thanks for the advice. Any overland gold farming suggestions?
Overland gold farming for me is either stealing or mat farming.
Mat farming: If you can find a good time and place to gather mats and have a trader to sell at it can be very efficient, like 50K per hour. But you have to find the place and go through a the rotation and hope you're not competing with other farmers. It's also better once you get to level 50 as those mats are in better demand.

Stealing: If you find a building with low pop and no guards it's a good way to make money that is very consistent even if it's not the most efficient. You put one point in the fencing skill and you can sell 110 items a day which is 4-10K in 40min to an hour, plus some recipes and motifs and decorative wax that you can launder and sell. I think the item quality gets better the higher your thieving skill, so it'll be closer to 4K at the start and closer to 10K when maxed out. People recommend the docks, and that works, but I found the castle outside Elden Root to be the quickest as long as you don't start the quest that begins populating it. No guards, 6 npcs all spread out easily either ignorable or killable with the blade of woe, and a really compact rotation. Loot is instanced, so this one is essentially solo play and you don't compete with other players. The only issue with this one is that you have to log out and log in at the end of the loop to reset things. I think there are bigger loops out there that are probably more time efficient, but I'm very much a stick to what you know kind of guy.

If you have the thieves guild DLC then the thieves guild repeatable bulletin board has a quest that starts with "Esteemed thieves" where you deliver three laundered items of a type, then you get 10 as a reward plus some gold and a chance at a motif. Once you build up a stable of the laundered items you need you can quickly do this quest infinitely. Take quest, teleport to delivery city, deliver, teleport to Hew's bane, deliver, repeat. Quest gold is leveled, so this one is better once you're at least level 25. You can make about 12K per hour plus whatever luck you get with the motifs.

All of the above is grindy, so you tastes may vary. I used stealing when I was low level since it was safe and consistent. I find mat farming to be kinda tedious so I've only done it a few times, and more for the mats than for the gold. The thieves guild one is good because the quest also gives you good XP, so it's a pretty effective way of leveling too, you get to spend a lot of time on loading screens, though (which may be a plus if you want to multitask).

The best way to make gold is definitely the daily writs though. You can only do the set once a day per character, but they go pretty quick with lazy writ crafter and with 9+ characters you get a good chunk of gold with minimal time investment. At this point I don't really bother to grind for gold, the daily writs are enough for me to keep gaining.

There are also places to grind XP and loot by killing things that net similar rewards and are maybe a bit more fun if you like combat. The place I go is just outside Riften, sometimes there's too many people and it's just a pain, but if there's no one there and you can handle the mobs it can be quick. If there are only a couple of people most of the time they'll group with you and the rotation can go even faster. If you google places to farm XP you'll find some others but this was the first one I went to that I could handle so I didn't bother looking at others. I can group with you and do this one with you if you want.

There are other ways to get gold, but I think most of them involve actually being good at the game and being CP160 and farming weapons to sell.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 4, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

FileNotFound posted:

Posting this again because original post is a few pages back:

If you are leveling to 50 - and you are not wearing training gear - Please reach out to me.
@Mordgier via in game mail.

List the build you are going for and I will craft you a training set at no cost.

Do keep pestering me when that set becomes stale, basically every 20 levels.

Is this offer still good? I'm playing again as a lvl 25 Mag Necromancer.

ID is @Mr_Scumbag

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
If I am a CP 300ish Breton Templar that wants to go JabPlar what is the best gear set to go after?

Currently I am a mix of Mag\stam skills as I mostly play solo but am starting to do dungeons and trials and everything. I have free respec tokens so thinking of going JabPlar.

My current equipment is the Grace of Gloom heavy armor set from Summerset.

Also what weapon should I be looking for? Using a 2H sword currently. Nothing spectacular just whatever I find that is an upgrade.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

Is this offer still good? I'm playing again as a lvl 25 Mag Necromancer.

ID is @Mr_Scumbag

I guess that's out, then.

Would someone be willing to make me a training set for some crowns?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I guess that's out, then.

Would someone be willing to make me a training set for some crowns?
I'm busy for the next ~8 hours but can probably help you out this evening if no one else does.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Put me down for a guild invite, @galactic-mice

Draco_Erroris
Dec 18, 2005
If guild invites are still open, I'd be delighted to join in. @DracoErroris

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I've been pretty active in this game lately and feel like I won't be done for a while, so if anyone wants to give me officer status I'm happy to monitor the thread and add/remove people as necessary.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've been pretty active in this game lately and feel like I won't be done for a while, so if anyone wants to give me officer status I'm happy to monitor the thread and add/remove people as necessary.
Anyone can add people to the guild without being an officer. I've added a bunch of people over the past few months.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Wow, that seems new...

What happens when we reach capacity? Can anyone remove old members to make room for new ones?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
I will bestow a great reckoning upon those inactive greater than 1 year folks, don't you worry. I mean...someone will need to mention it ITT so I actually log in, however.

Otherwise anyone can invite whomever they want.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Started playing this again recently, may I please have an invite @adarkmage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So what is Microsoft's track record with MMOs?