Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

going to run a first ever session for my 12yo daughter and her buddies, gonna do LMoP, probably with some tweaks. afaict they just want to slaughter each other so we'll see how that goes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can always PM me for a Discord invite if you want to get in touch with people interested in Chuubo-adjacent experiences.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

going to run a first ever session for my 12yo daughter and her buddies, gonna do LMoP, probably with some tweaks. afaict they just want to slaughter each other so we'll see how that goes...
Sounds like you’ve got a ready made Paranoia group.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Trip Report: I'm a big fan of the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons and I enjoy the idea of PbtA, so when a friend of mine offered to run a fun one-shot over Labor Day weekend I floated the idea of Broken Worlds, the PbtA hack set in the same universe as K6BD. We kept things low key and ran it with a small group-- just my wife and I and the storyteller. She played a devil Hunter, I played a servant Boss who was a pack of rats.

I loved the snappiness and quick tempo of the system and how easily it lent itself to everyone pushing each other for details about the world and about the unfolding situation. It felt collaborative and open-ended in a way that 5e rarely does, with frequent improvised player input on everything from what kind of NPCs were in a dive bar, what relationships we had with informants we ran into, and even the nature and appearance of the villains of the adventure (a cult of demonic moths).

Combat was brisk and abstract-- perhaps a bit too abstract. I like in theory the idea that a single "combat" roll (in this case called "Reach Heaven Through Violence") can cover a chunk of time as short as a single attack or unfold to encompass an hour-long street brawl, but I wondered what, in a long term, might be lost to that kind of flexibility-- whether some of the push and pull of a more granular combat system might be missed. As it was, it was fun and allowed some neat, organic interactions between player intentions and our actual mechanical options, and once we got a grip on the ebb and flow of combat it really sang narratively. It never felt dangerous but it felt narratively interesting and suitably cinematic for K6BD's broad, operatic scale. I always loved how each playbook (the game's rough equivalent to character classes) felt distinct and legitimately exciting and cool. My wife loved that she could build her Hunter to essentially be Batman, a shadowy nightmare perpetually everywhere and nowhere, and I loved that all of my Moves were built around having an expendable army of loyal minions. Right from the get-go it felt like the game was facilitating grandiose player imagination in a way that something with a more conventional learning curve might lack. There was no sense of being a frail little thing-- even as a level 0 character I felt like I had mechanical agency, and, what's more leeway to think about my mechanical options creatively. Outside of combat, it felt like choosing where to spend limited resources and how was a system of decisions with real gravity to it, and figuring out how to spend my "Boss" points (basically a class-specific resource to boss my minions around to go off and do tasks for me) was surprisingly exciting and tense.

I still have questions about this system works in other situations, and I'm especially curious about how it scales-- whether all of this feels less thrilling as a high level character than it does on the ground floor. I'm planning on running another PbtA game, Glitter Hearts, in a few weeks for my birthday to get a broader feel for the general system, so my appetite is definitely whetted.

zzzzz
Mar 11, 2020
My game groups favorite RPG is Abbadon's other RPG, Skull Wizards of The Chaos Caverns (after making a few modifications to give it a little more staying power). It's actually been a great introductory RPG for me, too, I've gotten several people super into RPGs because of the crazy setting-less-but-awesome chaos it spawns.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Glitter Hearts kicks rear end. I've got a high-phys, fear-based magical girl brawler with ice hands. Last session we got roped into a live sentai show for some kids on the street, and ended up having to incorporate an enemy of creation into the scene by ad-libbing a new plot that happened to involve beating the gently caress out of it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I hope rich is having an okay day off

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/richburlew/status/1304477391780184064?s=21

oh god oh gently caress

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Word of Remember To Prepare Appropriate Spells If You're Going To Do This poo poo

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oof.

And Durkon might have word of recall, but I doubt Mintra does. Isn't that pretty high level?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh hey, an update!

... well poo poo. :ohdear:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's almost like this is the exact reason Roy said not to do this.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Oof.

And Durkon might have word of recall, but I doubt Mintra does. Isn't that pretty high level?

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wordOfRecall.htm according to this you can also bring a willing creature that you are in physical contact with. If he had it, he'd have used it.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Rich is okay, but Durkon and Minrah must assuredly are not.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm impressed with with how quickly we degenerated from "okay, it's risky but let's see how it goes it could win big!" to "okay, wow, Durkon really screwed the pooch this time, what an awful plan." :allears:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I still think he made the right choice. Failing doesn't mean you were wrong to try. Even failing utterly and completely and losing everything.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Next strip has to be the rest of the OotS surprise attacking. I imagine they'll both fight to a standstill and both sides retreat.

Did someone figure out what part of the day it was? As in, has Redcloak and Xykon already used a bunch of spells going through dungeons, or are they fresh?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Next strip has to be the rest of the OotS surprise attacking. I imagine they'll both fight to a standstill and both sides retreat.

Did someone figure out what part of the day it was? As in, has Redcloak and Xykon already used a bunch of spells going through dungeons, or are they fresh?

I'm going to hazard a guess they're exactly as fresh as they'd need to be to turbo-murder a couple of low-mid level clerics.

Wouldn't be nearly as dramatic otherwise :elan:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

For some reason I'm foreseeing a new development that interrupts the brawl with a temporary truce/mutual retreat but I cant decide what it would be

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This comic makes me realize that Xykon is a well-developed villain, because any possibility for hope or humor has left the scene and all that remains is wondering how much he's going to hurt people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

For some reason I'm foreseeing a new development that interrupts the brawl with a temporary truce/mutual retreat but I cant decide what it would be

Snarl breaking through like in the desert.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ikanreed posted:

I still think he made the right choice. Failing doesn't mean you were wrong to try. Even failing utterly and completely and losing everything.

He wasn’t wrong to try, but he was wrong to not bail as soon as negotiations turned into Implosions

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh god oh no oh poo poo oh gently caress :ohdear:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Maybe he does have an escape spell prepared but he's worried about having it counterspelled so he wants to get out of combat before using it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Colonel Cool posted:

Maybe he does have an escape spell prepared but he's worried about having it counterspelled so he wants to get out of combat before using it.

ultrafilter posted:

Good news is that we probably won't need to wait more than three weeks to find out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I mean when failure means the total annihilation of billions of souls it kinda does mean you were wrong to try.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The action will now cut to Roy and the rest of the crew continuing their mission without Durkon and Minrah's help. A few strips from now they'll see the remnants of their friends at the scene of the battle. They'll focus on the mission and grieve for them after.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Isn't the paladins' overlook like right underneath where they're fighting at? Minrah shouting and crashing into the ground, then the sounds of fighting and spellcasting should tip the Order off that something's going on, I fully expect Roy and co. to show up within the next two pages.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Use loud thunder spell and cause an avalanche and surf to safety, that is my advice. Only Oona is cool enough to surf after you, Xykon will have to shake his fist like a college Dean

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Reminder that Roy and his cohorts aren't the only actors in play here. There's still the mysterious beings that kidnapped O'chul lurking around and doubtlessly are watching this scene with great interest.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

McCloud posted:

Reminder that Roy and his cohorts aren't the only actors in play here. There's still the mysterious beings that kidnapped O'chul lurking around and doubtlessly are watching this scene with great interest.

That's right! So I will amend my prediction: Durkon and Minrah will be defeated but not killed. Xykon and Red Cloak will search around until they find where Roy et al were setting things up, but they won't be there, because the mysterious beings have already killed them offscreen.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

Oh god oh no oh poo poo oh gently caress :ohdear:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

wiegieman posted:

This comic makes me realize that Xykon is a well-developed villain, because any possibility for hope or humor has left the scene and all that remains is wondering how much he's going to hurt people.

hey now, I'm sure Xykon will find the whole thing hilarious!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

wiegieman posted:

Yeah. The character development has been fantastic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey, maybe this is when MITD finally lashes out at Xyklon

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m guessing that Durkon and Minrah are pretty soundly defeated, but before Xykon can finish them off, O-Chul, Lirien, and/or whoever their captors are make their grand reentrance to distract him long enough for them to escape.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Durkon and Minrah probably think that Xykon already knows what Redcloak's planning to do with the Snarl. Oona probably thinks so too, if she heard the full conversation.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

We knew that this was coming, but that doesn't mean it's a pleasant development.
I do wish to acknowledge that Oona is not only great and a badass, but she has admirably sticks to her theme while still keeping a couple of aces up her sleeve. Best character.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey, maybe this is when MITD finally lashes out at Xyklon

This reminded that MitD has seen Durkon gently caress. I hope he brings it up at some point.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Maybe it's because I'm binging through the entire thing again, but doesn't Xykon look a bit different? Like he's got a brow thing going?

Also, the oracle did say that Durkon's going to die for realsies, before he got home. I don't think the vampire thing counts :drac:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The oracle said that Durkon would return home posthumously. That's been fulfilled.