Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This cute little guy keeps hanging out under our porch light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Warning: incoming big-rear end spider.

I found this lovely Eratigena atrica male wandering around the house looking for some loving. The pictures came out very well, the lighting was good today. Sadly, the glass was mandatory, they're a notoriously runny-hidey species.

Took him back home to the basement after this. I love the way you can see the fangs in the first image and the way the texture of the abdominal surface really pops out at you in the second.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That eye shine :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't look like a Tegeneria / Eratigena / whatever the taxonomists have decided we're calling them this week? looks more like a Steatoda sp. to me? you're right that is a big and pretty spider though :kimchi:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't look like a Tegeneria / Eratigena / whatever the taxonomists have decided we're calling them this week? looks more like a Steatoda sp. to me? you're right that is a big and pretty spider though :kimchi:

I agree with this. It's definitely not a male E. atrica in any case because its legs would be like a dozen times longer.

Dunno what it is for sure, but it does appear to be a male S. grossa just based on the black and white abdominal color.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Now that you say it, does look a bit different than the usual. I assumed it would be E. atrica again because that's what I always find when it's a big spider like that, so I figured it was just an unusual morph. I have many and very well-developed E. atrica females in my home that I check up on every so often.

It would be very, very strange for it to be Steatoda grossa, though. It is a fairly good match, but they're not known to be found in this region and after looking it up, I can confirm with certainty that I've never seen anything that looks like a Steatoda female anywhere nearby... although they're apparently becoming more common.

The white on the abdomen is actually more of a yellowish-tigered coloring, which matches E. atrica. It doesn't come across well in that shot.

I'll have to look into that some more. Might be that I just ran into the first confirmed S. grossa specimen in my general region! Thanks for pointing it out.

edit: Hmm. Apparently, it could be a Steatoda nobilis male. Those have been known to be specifically found in my region since about ten years ago. Any second opinions?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 4, 2020

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I think the local peregrines are trying to send me a message. :ohdear:

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 30, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I think the local peregrines are trying to send me a message. :ohdear:
My cat has this thing where he will eat every part of a mouse except for the stomach. He has a thing about that. The rest of the intestines are fines, bones are no problem, but he will not eat stomachs. They're always neatly removed and left out on my porch. It's kind of weird and funny.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Scarodactyl posted:

This cute little guy keeps hanging out under our porch light.

He found the prime spot for bug catching, bet he'll be happy for a while :3:

Wish I had a pic from one of my old jobs a few years ago, they had an outside courtyard area & one day a couple of us saw a hawk swoop in on a robin. Fought a little & the hawk came out the winner (obviously), when we checked the area they fought in we found a very neat/cleanly removed tail. Looked like someone literally took a box cutter & cut the robin's rear end clean off, it was crazy.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 4, 2020

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Steatoda are really expanding their range in the last few years and are pretty under-recorded so it is entirely possible this is just the first S. grossa record from your area. given the size and the markings i do think S. grossa is more likely than S. nobilis. your local spider recorder (if you have one) would probably be grateful for you to send the pictures over to them for confirmation

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I'll be sending those to my university's zoology department and the arachnologist's association, then. Thanks.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
What kind of bird does that head belong to?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously, I'm crazy lucky with slugs. Here's a nice little video of a common garden slug chowing down on some Brassica leaves. For something that technically doesn't even have teeth, those little guys can really chow down. Sorry, this looked a lot nicer before Imgur compression.

https://i.imgur.com/usJ19Qf.mp4

...does that middle one make anyone else think "draw me like one of your French slugs" for some reason?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 5, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Every year around this time there will always be a handful of scare news articles that hype up false widows as deadly menaces that will terrorise your children and kill your small pets, complete with anecdotes like a sweet old lady who swears one is responsible for killing her terrier, etc. Often the pictures in the articles are just orb weavers.

My only issue with them is how rapidly and thoroughly they've spread here over the past decade as they put pressure on native spider species.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Cardiovorax posted:

...does that middle one make anyone else think "draw me like one of your French slugs" for some reason?

How u doin :smuggo:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

I'm not sure! Maybe a juvenile gull - it doesn't look like most of the usual birds around here or something a falcon would typically eat. (I'm in Edmonton by the way).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what kinda sluggo is that tho

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

what kinda sluggo is that tho
Arion rufus, aka. the Large Red Slug.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

Maybe Pied-billed grebe?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Saw a praying mantis (or some other type?) for only the second time ever her en my home state (Vermont.)

Last timer I saw one was just a few years ago, and it was a teeny tiny baby,m maybe like 1/4" long.

This guy (gal?) is an adult, easily 3", and is hiding out in my pole bean trellis.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe Pied-billed grebe?

My work is nowhere near water and the beak doesn't quite fit. It does have a bit of a water-bird vibe, though.

This bee fell asleep on our sunflower. Incidentally I didn't plant the sunflower, so I assume we have one of the corvids to than for that.

Glad I wasn't there when this fell down!

Hello little friend!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Phainopepla -6212 on Flickr

Found a cool birb on a hike yesterday. Phainopepla! Slightly out of range here, although it could be a fire evacuee.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found the tiniest snail the other day! The shell was about the size of a dime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're lucky, you might stumble over a newborn snail sometime. They're really adorable and stay a little transparent for a while when they're still really young.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Found this sluggish fella (Aeshna caerulea) on a hike last weekend in a boreal moor.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Falukorv posted:

Found this sluggish fella (Aeshna caerulea) on a hike last weekend in a boreal moor.

That doesn't look like a slug at all!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Came free with a dumptruck load of soil.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Millipede of some sort? They're neat little critters

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Scarodactyl posted:

Came free with a dumptruck load of soil.

That's way bigger than this jerk centipede I caught years ago

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Two leg pairs per segment, so it should be a millipede. I remembered it this time!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Two leg pairs per segment, so it should be a millipede. I remembered it this time!

Wait, that's actually the rule? Holy crap. I learned something today.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

Wait, that's actually the rule? Holy crap. I learned something today.
There might be exceptions I don't know about, but yeah, that's one of the big ways by which you can tell them apart.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, he's a yellow-spotted millipede, about 2 inches long.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Anyone have any idea what kind of caterpillar this is? Spotted it in southern Ontario, in Muskoka a couple days ago

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone have any idea what kind of caterpillar this is? Spotted it in southern Ontario, in Muskoka a couple days ago

Genus Symmerista

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Also spotted a caterpillar today:

Never seen this kind before, apparently it becomes a boring drab kind of owlet moth.
Enjoy it while you've got it kid, it's all downhill from here.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I've actually been banned from critter photo discussions in the past because people thought I was posting stock photos that I didn't actually shoot. Still, I'm proud of snagging things like this over the years because look at this little booger guy:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
There's also a Macrophotography Thread

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh my god what precious little feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The soil apparently comes with:

American giant millipedes

And ringneck snakes! (Two of them in fact).