Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I do think people are frustrated that some formats have had some big issues in the past two years. There are indeed less opportunities to make magic more than a hobby. I also believe some of this is because folks are finding they are less successful in digital play because they can't loving cheat anymore against weaker opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Yeah the state of OP is loving terrible and has to be one of the biggest legitimate sources of frustration in the game, for sure. Most of the people mad at the tournament seem to be coming from that as their base level so I understand where all the unhappiness is coming from

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AngryBooch posted:

The biggest thing jumping out to me here are the Duress in the Sideboard over Thoughtseize. I do want to try your deck as recurring the Silversmote Ghoul to power up the Priest and and Gate to the Afterlife is interesting. Just have to make sure you side out your Silversmote Ghoul and trim Fiend Artisan when you bring in the cages. Matt Nass is doing well in the Invitational right now with Mono Black Gift and he doesn't even play Cage. (I assume the cage is for Goblins and Collected Company?)

Good point about Thoughtseize. I've been tweaking the sideboard, and I don't think there are any matchups where the 2 life from Thoughtseize would matter. And yes, the Cage is to beat Goblins and Jund Coco decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chamale posted:

Good point about Thoughtseize. I've been tweaking the sideboard, and I don't think there are any matchups where the 2 life from Thoughtseize would matter. And yes, the Cage is to beat Goblins and Jund Coco decks.

Remember when people were totally against thought seize in standard because of how oppressive it is? Not that was where you were going with your post, but it somehow reminded me of it.

:laffo:

One of the more fair parts of these formats right now.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Remember when people were totally against thought seize in standard because of how oppressive it is?

I remember it dominating every standard format it was inside, yes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The difference is that (many/most?) people don’t want to play Thoughtseize in every Standard, which is what would happen if it was a perennial reprint. There’s not much point to having a rotating format if you’re playing the same cards every year.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

i've never liked the argument "everyone who agrees with me is right, everyone who doesn't agree with me also agrees with me but they're being Censored and can't share their Real Opinions" no matter what shape or form it turns up in

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

fadam posted:

Are they?

every sideboard is one half cards for beating graveyard/sac bullshit and one half cards for beating goblins

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

every sideboard is one half cards for beating graveyard/sac bullshit and one half cards for beating goblins

what even is the "sideboard for beating goblins"?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

what even is the "sideboard for beating goblins"?

witch's vengeance, grafdigger's cage, discard, sometimes a few removal spells.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

grafdigger's cage, removal spells and discard spells are generic sideboard, good in many different matchups.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 11, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

grafdigger's cage and discard spells are generic sideboard, good in many different matchups.

grafdigger's cage is literally in sideboards specifically because it is the card which overlaps to be good against both goblins and gy nonsense. it also happens to not see a crazy amount of play - because most of the format is either goblins or gy nonsense. im not sure i even remotely understand looking at the MI format and thinking its fine.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

All cards that are good against lots of non goblin decks 🤔

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

fadam posted:

All cards that are good against lots of non goblin decks 🤔

I bet the people complaining run Uro and Nissa in their decks

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sampatrick posted:

grafdigger's cage is literally in sideboards specifically because it is the card which overlaps to be good against both goblins and gy nonsense. it also happens to not see a crazy amount of play - because most of the format is either goblins or gy nonsense. im not sure i even remotely understand looking at the MI format and thinking its fine.

because its good

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
And PT the stream is down. Well, not down. It's still sending at 6mbit, but it's sending the same frozen frame. :rip:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I'm not commenting on the format, I'm saying that those are generic sideboard cards. The only suspicious card is witch's vengeance. What did you expect to find in a sideboard?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
also calling jund a graveyard deck doesn't seem correct considering how easy it is to ignore a resolved leyline. cage is worse because it stops coco which hurts because the deck is really a mayhem devil deck at its core

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what's coco

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Leperflesh posted:

what's coco

Collected Company

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Time posted:

also calling jund a graveyard deck doesn't seem correct considering how easy it is to ignore a resolved leyline. cage is worse because it stops coco which hurts because the deck is really a mayhem devil deck at its core

Cage stops citadel too if you are playing that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ahh, OK thank you

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

YggdrasilTM posted:

Cage stops citadel too if you are playing that.

I dont think many citadel lists are running around anymore because its usually easier to just kill them instead of going all in on citadel and running a bunch of dorks to make it happen

edit: that said I think one version of it has been on a tear the last two days with citadel so it could still be the correct version!

Time fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 11, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

I remember it dominating every standard format it was inside, yes.

Well , its not dominating this standard! Good news for everyone.

(I wish it was in standard :( )

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm not commenting on the format, I'm saying that those are generic sideboard cards. The only suspicious card is witch's vengeance. What did you expect to find in a sideboard?

thats probably fair, it just seems pretty lame to me that so much of the format is just these quasi-combo decks and the uro deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

thats probably fair, it just seems pretty lame to me that so much of the format is just these quasi-combo decks and the uro deck.

I think looking at the conversion percentages and the decks in top 8 basically proves this isn’t true.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Time posted:

I dont think many citadel lists are running around anymore because its usually easier to just kill them instead of going all in on citadel and running a bunch of dorks to make it happen

edit: that said I think one version of it has been on a tear the last two days with citadel so it could still be the correct version!
I have seen 4 citadel decks in the last two days, and I have beat every one of them with RB cat oven through the magic of having (lethal)-1 damage on board with priest+devil and having my opponent cast anything off the top with citadel.

You're at 8 life, I have priest, mayhem devil, gutterbones, and a 3/3 dreadhorde butcher in play. Why would you cast goose off the top? :psyduck:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

fadam posted:

I think looking at the conversion percentages and the decks in top 8 basically proves this isn’t true.

what? if you look at conversion percentages, then the best performing decks were goblins, sac/citadel, gift, sultai, and arcanist to a lesser extent. those are all quasi-combo decks, uro, and the weirdness of arcanist (which is itself quite close to being a quasi-combo deck).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the problem with trying to categorize decks as "quasi-combo" is that it doesn't mean a lot more than "the cards they put in their deck work well together"

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The thing that personally is making standard bad for me personally is how much it completely revolves around green, which is my personal least favorite color. There was a brief moment around Theros where there was a viable UW Enchantment control deck which was fun, but I feel like standard is just like "either play mono red or something with green." Green does everything right now: It's aggro, it ramps, it's got the biggest creatures, it's got removal, it's got good sideboard hate, it draws the most cards. The best control finisher is green, the best planeswalker is green, it's obnoxious.

I can't believe that if it weren't for bans, we would have had a standard where Oko, Uro, Growth Spiral, Veil of Summer, Nissa, Hydroid Krasis, and Ugin were all going to be in the same format.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im pretty sure there are no goblin decks in the top 8 lol

e: aww shucks there is one

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 12, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

I can't believe that if it weren't for bans, we would have had a standard where Oko, Uro, Growth Spiral, Veil of Summer, Nissa, Hydroid Krasis, and Ugin were all going to be in the same format.
and Once Upon a Time :devil:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Shrecknet posted:

and Once Upon a Time :devil:

Lol, oh yeah, forgot that one.

That deck would have made Cawblade seem fair.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoyed the seth manfield tinderesque popup during the stream earlier.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

what? if you look at conversion percentages, then the best performing decks were goblins, sac/citadel, gift, sultai, and arcanist to a lesser extent. those are all quasi-combo decks, uro, and the weirdness of arcanist (which is itself quite close to being a quasi-combo deck).

By that definition basically every deck in Modern and legacy is a quasi combo deck lol. You’re really stretching things to criticize a format that by most reasonable metrics is really good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

holy moly you're telling me that these decks all have synergy? Combo winter 2.0 hachi machi

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
the jund deck is a mid range deck which is funny to me considering all the hand wringing over the death of mid range

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

the jund deck is a mid range deck which is funny to me considering all the hand wringing over the death of mid range

Control is dead, long live proactive midrange strats

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

you can tell it's midrange because it sucks to play and it sucks to play against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fadam posted:

you can tell it's midrange because it sucks to play and it sucks to play against

:pusheen: