Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I give the Sanic movie a pass because they used Robotnik's proper name.

Don’t the games use both now? Feels like they’ve fused it so Robotnik is his proper name and Eggman is a nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don’t the games use both now? Feels like they’ve fused it so Robotnik is his proper name and Eggman is a nickname.

Ever since Sonic Adventure 2 both names are now canon (his grandfather is named Gerald Robotnik in both the Japanese and English versions of the game). But they still tend to use Eggman almost exclusively.

Fun Fact: In France he’s actually still called Robotnik in all Sonic related media (or he was back when Sonic X was a thing at least, not sure if it’s changed recently).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah like Larryb said Robotnik is canonically his real name to throw a bone to us old timers but they pretty much only call him Eggman.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So whatever happened to all of the big Sonic announcements they promised each month?

I know covid killed conventions where they intended to make said announcements, but that was half a year ago.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Pants Donkey posted:

Doesn’t help that The Pokémon Company has shifted to an almost Activision-esque release schedule where you get a pokémon game every year. The cracks really show with the latest games which could have used more dev time instead of pushing out another Gen 1 remake the year prior.

Shifted isn't really painting the right picture when the only years that they didn't release a mainline game was in 1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2015.
That's despite gen 2 and 4 were delayed - rather, the cracks are due to development for an HD console requiring more work than previously, especially considering the large amount of Pokémon.

That said, that's only more reason for them to spend longer time on them because this pace is unsustainable but the problem is the workload increasing rather than the pace itself

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 2, 2020

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pants Donkey posted:

So whatever happened to all of the big Sonic announcements they promised each month?

I know covid killed conventions where they intended to make said announcements, but that was half a year ago.

I think that ended up being a mistranslation/interpretation of the steams Iizuka and Senoue have been doing, which are Japan-focused and mostly merch-related.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sega channel JP had a new 2020 calendar among other merch. You get a new Sonic every month.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe

But wait, there's more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjfsThqYVA

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

What a time to be alive. There are very, very few silver linings to 2020, but this is one of them.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/retropalshq/status/1301928971429384193

The Retropals on Twitch are going to start Shadow the Hedgehog tonight.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1304116953141837824?s=21
Excellent M2 port of Sonic 2 is only $2 again. Adds the drop dash from Mania and a few other things.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Part of me wants it because $2 and the other part of me is saying it’s not the Taxman port so why bother.

I know M2 does good work but it’s a travesty that those ports remain trapped on mobile.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

man nurse posted:

Part of me wants it because $2 and the other part of me is saying it’s not the Taxman port so why bother.

I know M2 does good work but it’s a travesty that those ports remain trapped on mobile.

It’s still worth it due to the drop dash, which isn’t in the Taxman port.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s still worth it due to the drop dash, which isn’t in the Taxman port.

I never really used it even in Mania tbh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sega is never* bringing the Taxman port outside of loving phones. Get the M2 port, it's really good too. $2 is a trivial amount of money to own Sonic 2 for the fiftieth time.

*I want to be proven wrong.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what other features does the M2 port have aside from the Drop Dash and including Knuckles as a playable character?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Larryb posted:

So what other features does the M2 port have aside from the Drop Dash and including Knuckles as a playable character?

It has a more a more stable framerate, a challenge mode and a new easy mode called ring keep mode.

It’s not as good as the Taxman version but it’s the best version on consoles still. No brainer for $2.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 11, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It has a more a more stable framerate, a challenge mode and a new easy mode called ring keep mode.

It’s not as good as the Taxman version but it’s the best version on consoles still. No brained for $2.

How does Ring Keep Mode work? Can you just not take damage or do you simply lose less rings when hit?

Also can Tails fly/use Debug Mode like he can in the mobile version?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Larryb posted:

How does Ring Keep Mode work? Can you just not take damage or do you simply lose less rings when hit?

Also can Tails fly/use Debug Mode like he can in the mobile version?

You lose less rings. I don’t think so on the second question.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Didn't the taxman port also include wider screen so you can see more? Does the M2 port have that as well?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

No

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kikas posted:

Didn't the taxman port also include wider screen so you can see more? Does the M2 port have that as well?

It does not unfortunately.

Again, it’s still worth the $2 though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

They should just switch to a subscription model so I don't have to keep buying it.

Actually no, that's terrible.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There has been an awakening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yY5DIvK318

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1304495252007350272

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just when we needed him most.:unsmith:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
2020 might just finally be turning around

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORYL5J1Heg

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh man ive been trying to find that blog post again for a while now that kind of breakdown is really itneresting. theres a dude who tried to restore deus ex's gold filter who did an amazing job too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally someone actually talks about this! It's bothered me so much that everyone talks about SA1 in terms of DX and not the original game because that's the only version Square ever ports.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

WHAT THE gently caress

I've only played the PC version because lmao having a Dreamcast in western Europe and I have been missing out apparently :psyduck: That loving Angel Island foliage, those lightning changes, what? Gotta try that mod now!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

THANK gently caress HE'S BACK

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I have good memories of Cybershell's old LP threads. Goddamn that was a long time ago.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of DX's lighting issues look odd even in isolation, so it's nice to know what it all was meant to look like.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the colored lighting in the original Dreamcast version is so distinct and the game is so much worse off without it.

EDIT: I loving knew it! People were always like "No you're just remembering the game wrong, the game was always this buggy" but here it is, I never clipped through that loop because the version I always used to play was the Dreamcast version. I didn't remember it wrong, everyone else was just playing a shittier game than me. Vindicated at last!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORYL5J1Heg

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 11, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
for real go check out that blog if its the one im thinking of its a great read.

also sa is rear end anyway but neither that nor incredibly awful lovely ports will take away the tremendous soundtrack it left us

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still think SA is a mostly decent game. It’s no Mario 64 but I excuse a lot of its faults due to being a first try. I think SA2 is worse and has worse level design.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Owns, but, uh, when we gonna talk about that patreon money Cybershell ol' boy? :lol:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

for real go check out that blog if its the one im thinking of its a great read.

also sa is rear end anyway but neither that nor incredibly awful lovely ports will take away the tremendous soundtrack it left us

no you’re rear end anyway!

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

now that it's released petition to update the thread title to Crusader Kings III tia