Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Locks and poisons were always the bane of NR; it's just more obvious now that Shieldwall protects your key engines from most removal, meaning that NG is the only other faction with a hope of shutting down a Shieldwall deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
NG’s locks and posions do feel more challenging to play against with my Skellige deck than NR Shieldwall too.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
SK has plenty of veil and low provision damaging cards that Ball means jack poo poo. If they’re poison happy it’s herkja, Harald pulling out the veiled invader, berserkers and whatever 2-3 power card you have on hand until they’re done with the scenario

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Gwent pals,,,,

how are we beating vitality ST.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nilfgaard has the most purify, the most tall removal, and Vincent. There's gotta be something there.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

SK has plenty of veil and low provision damaging cards that Ball means jack poo poo. If they’re poison happy it’s herkja, Harald pulling out the veiled invader, berserkers and whatever 2-3 power card you have on hand until they’re done with the scenario

Thanks. Dunno why this didn't occur to me.

Stuck at rank 13 atm with my modified Patricidal Fury deck.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finally got enough scrap together to add Tyggvi and Hjalmar to my SK deck and now I'm steamrolling over decks I know I would have lost to without them.

Reached rank 7 today :toot:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

7's a good rank to reach, because everything from there to pro gives the same end of season reward.

In currently playing a deck that does nothing but throw out crows constantly, and it's great. Not only are corvids the best, but I keep winning. I might push to pro this weekend. Either that or play 30 hours of Total War: Three Kingdoms. Haven't decided yet.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arena mode's being killed off and replaced with Draft mode. Screenshots of the work in progress looks like Hearthstone dungeon drafting, where you choose between three groups of three cards, instead of individual.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I haven’t played Arena. Sounds like was the same as Arena in Hearthstone and it’s being changed to a different mode that’s also in Hearthstone?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Never played Hearthstone myself, but the current Gwent Arena is very RNG-based. Basically, you choose from three randomly selected leader abilities, then you draft 26 cards of your choice, one at a time, each from a set of four cards of the same rarity randomly chosen from the entire pool of cards in the game. There's no rules governing the rarity of each set of four cards (a set of four Legendaries has the same chance of appearing as a set of four Commons), and no bounds on provisions or anything else, so you could end up with a deck of 20+ trash bronze commons and rares, or a deck of 20+ legendary golds, depending on how the dice roll.

And of course on top of the raw quality of your card selection being highly variable, there's also some ridiculous combos between cards of different factions that are normally effectively impossible to pull off in the normal game. One near game-breaking one, which was removed in the latest hotfix, was Yoana and Whoreson's Freak Show; the former has a Charge-based order which heals a unit by 2 and gains one charge every time an adjacent unit takes damage, while the latter (before the last patch) had an Insanity-based order that damaged a random enemy unit by one. Put 'em next to each other and you could just spam Freak Show's Insanity order as quickly as possible until it was at one health, then heal it up with Yoana, and repeat until the turn timer expired, usually wiping the opponent's board in the process (or near enough as to make no difference to the outcome). Even though that one's dead, there are still plenty of other combos out there; think Svalblod Priest and Immortals, for instance, for a nice little 4-points-per-turn engine.

After drafting your deck, you then have to try to get 9 wins in the Arena before getting 3 losses. You're always matched up against a player with the same number of wins as you, so as you get more and more wins, you're more and more likely to end up against ridiculously powerful decks (either with tons of strong golds or with a couple absurdly powerful combos). Your odds of winning do depend on skill and knowledge of the full Gwent card pool to some extent, but also depend a lot on how many good cards you actually drafted vs. your opponent. Unlike in normal mode, you never know what your opponent might have in their deck at all, so there's no predicting whether they have a handful of poo poo bronzes or three Falibors and two Great Oaks waiting for you.

It's honestly a pretty fun mode if you want a break from normal matches or whatever Seasonal is currently going on, but it is definitely very RNG, so you'll often lose no matter how well you play your deck, just because your opponent happened to have a counter to every single one of your cards, or had some crazy combo you couldn't do anything about, or just had entire hands full of Legendary or crazy-strong Epic golds in both R1 and R3.

Haven't seen any details on how the new mode is going to work, but I will miss the RNG craziness of the current one, if they change it up a lot. Also, the fact that they're removing current Arena mid-October but there *might* be a beta version of the new one ready by the end of the year, *maybe*, is loving stupid and I hate it; don't know why they can't just keep the current Arena mode in there until the new one is actually ready. :argh:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

:toot:

edit: Thanks for such a detailed post dennyk!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ooof I don’t like the seasonal at all. Think this will be the first time I don’t complete all the story challenges

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The season was weird, but there's some interesting stuff you can do. My first game I got bit, because the hand that was given to me had Matta in it, and I used her all excited, and then immediately gave the hand that now had my best card in it back to my opponent.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I didn't think I'd like it but someone posted this list on reddit and I unashamedly stole it and had a blast

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/5426b4fe89fcc849017fa2d69430e2ed

Be careful about playing into your own removal but besides that pretty easy to just steal their best cards turn by turn

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
This seasonal is hilarious. I created this lovely deck, and it actually works surprisingly well. I'll definitely give that scorchy deck a try, though; that looks awesome.

Edit: Fixed link because playgwent.com is hot garbage and just breaks deck guides forever instead of publishing them unless you click all the random buttons in exactly the right order.

Ooof I don’t like the seasonal at all. Think this will be the first time I don’t complete all the story challenges

You don't have to do most of the seasonal tree challenges in Seasonal mode. There are a couple that you have to win rounds/matches "in Seasonal" specifically, but if I recall, those are often bugged and give you credit for regular mode games as well.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 2, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man, gently caress Blue Stripes decks.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Those and the lippy decks are most annoying

Kelli/Ciri is in a gently caress off tier by itself

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Turns out those don't work so well in seasonal mode, though... :v:

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
I just imperial diplomacied a Nightwraith (3 power deathwish unit that spawns a couple rats on deploy and death) to play around a Keltulus deck. Ended up winning by a single point. Felt dirty with that one.

Needless to say I didn’t get a gg on that one. Even though it wasn’t even ranked.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
New draft mode: get hidden cache + hoard = win

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yeah, Draft with the unlimited rerolls is pretty much just "Every opponent is a top tier meta Syndicate deck but with two or three copies of every huge value gold..."

I did manage to barely eke out a win once with my double-Damien Shield Wall deck, though.

Edit: Managed to roll my own obscene Syndicate deck; HC, Passiflora, three Peaches, three Flying Redanians, two Von Hersts, Savolla, Phillipa, and enough profit engines to make use of everything reliably. Vengeance is mine!

dennyk fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 8, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok so I built a deck that I wonder if any of you guys are willing to test. Disclaimer: I’m bad at deckbuilding

BUT I actually just replaced a few cards from an actual bad precision deck that was on the TLG meta for some reason. It wasn’t a tiered deck just an alternate devo precision deck that had Isengrim (with like 2 other elves???) for some reason.

Anyway this deck probably isn’t extremely competitive I’ve yet to try it in pro but I’ve had fun with it. Part of why it’s bad is due to it kind of wanting you to play justice and leader before round 3 to thin out with a few potential bricks and Mr. Brick himself, Sheldon. Seems to be good in long and short rounds and handles bleeds decently with Sheldon, oak, eithne, and Gord

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/aa30668c4ff29bc8dfd166972e39268d

Really solid red coin abuse with your gord growers and justice. Looks like a short round 3 is best for this deck

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 4, 2020

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Ok so I built a deck that I wonder if any of you guys are willing to test. Disclaimer: I’m bad at deckbuilding

BUT I actually just replaced a few cards from an actual bad precision deck that was on the TLG meta for some reason. It wasn’t a tiered deck just an alternate devo precision deck that had Isengrim (with like 2 other elves???) for some reason.

Anyway this deck probably isn’t extremely competitive I’ve yet to try it in pro but I’ve had fun with it. Part of why it’s bad is due to it kind of wanting you to play justice and leader before round 3 to thin out with a few potential bricks and Mr. Brick himself, Sheldon. Seems to be good in long and short rounds and handles bleeds decently with Sheldon, oak, eithne, and Gord

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/aa30668c4ff29bc8dfd166972e39268d

Really solid red coin abuse with your gord growers and justice. Looks like a short round 3 is best for this deck

I made your deck but I only had time to play one round tonight, thought I would give you my input though. I won my match so that's good! I had some trouble in round one weekend I just had several cards that I didn't want for round one, and didn't have the cards I did want. I after round one my opponent tried to bleed me but I had a pretty decent hand after my redraws, and handily defended in round two. I ended up having to use great oak in round two which was overkill, and I feel like I might have been better served in both round one and round two with oneiromancy. Round three came together decently but it felt like I mostly got a lucky hand, and I also ended up with a dwarven crime splitter that drew the only dwarf I had left, which was the guy who boosts a unit by two in your hand, and ended up not being useful, but that could just be bad planning on my part.
This was only one match so take my game with a grain of salt. To sum it up I liked the deck and it did it's job well but there were times where I felt I was definitely at the mercy of my redraws.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Glad you had fun and yea I find that’s the biggest issue with decks I build. Super RNG heavy. That’s why I try to get justice and leader out by round 3, probably not ideal

I don’t think there’s any real reason to have it devotion. There’s no critters or freax so maybe omn would be better. Not sure what to cut though

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
This new Seasonal mode has some...interesting combos with some of the new expansion cards.

Step 1: Play this self-replicating emo dude.

Step 2: Move like half your emo dudes to the other row with Guerrilla Tactics and/or Stygga Castle.

Step 3: Fill the rest of the slots on your board with this little girl.

Step 4: Draw a dozen cards and win by like three hundred points.

Edit: I'm guessing there's no way Idarran's interaction with the Seasonal gimmick survives the next hotfix, so enjoy it while you can...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 8, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hello. I too have a season killer

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/5ef1fe94e32d3dbbb18ebf1b8825a95a

Movement Seems very broken right now. Haven’t tried this in ladder yet but it’s pretty drat hard to beat in season. Cat Witcher’s continuing to move after both passes will almost certainly be nerfed

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

dennyk posted:

This new Seasonal mode has some...interesting combos with some of the new expansion cards.

Step 1: Play this self-replicating emo dude.

Step 2: Move like half your emo dudes to the other row with Guerrilla Tactics and/or Stygga Castle.

Step 3: Fill the rest of the slots on your board with this little girl.

Step 4: Draw a dozen cards and win by like three hundred points.

Edit: I'm guessing there's no way Idarran's interaction with the Seasonal gimmick survives the next hotfix, so enjoy it while you can...

Do you have the full list for this? 😵

Lmao I just queued into someone playing that. Wow

Yea you don’t need a decklist for that. Insert those cards and win.

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 9, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OK, so maybe this works a little bit.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Do you have the full list for this? 😵

Lmao I just queued into someone playing that. Wow

Yea you don’t need a decklist for that. Insert those cards and win.

Yeah, it works with basically any decklist using the Guerrilla Tactics leader ability. Don't even really need the Castle; you can pull it off fine with just your leader ability (though the Castle works well enough since it pops you a couple Cat Witchers in R1 and then hangs around for your crushing R2 2-0). I'm just running a Seasonal deck with some of the old-school 1-power replication shenanigan standbys (Olgierds, Living Armor, etc.), a bunch of cheap engines, and some Bone Talismans, plus Decree and Oniero to ensure the combo. Far as I can figure, the only thing that can completely shut it down is Auckes, especially if you use your leader to move a few of your Idarrans immediately so the ones you move get a bit buffed. A Lacerate or Tremors might take some of 'em out, but even a Lambert, Gimpy, or Boar would leave at least a few alive, so you'll still end up with at least five Snowdrops distributed across two rows. Once that happens, it's probably over unless your opponent has a Scorch and some damage pings to set it up a turn before. (And if they do Scorch, well, you'll probably still have some Idarrans, so then you just drop whichever of Olgierd or Living Armor you didn't use to win R1 and you probably still win...)

Edit: Went ahead and made a decklist anyhow.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 11, 2020

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Last three games in a row with my Snowclone deck, I failed to pull off the combo because of deck fuckery, bad draws, or losing R1 and having to play Idarran in R2, but I still won 'em all because ST movement is just that good in Seasonal right now... :v:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Beyond me how there hasn’t been a hotfix yet

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I seem to remember it took 'em days to hotfix the dueling Dames back in the Season of the Viper, and that was literally a game-breaking bug, not just an OP combo.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Welp, apparently they decided to "fix" the issue by reverting to the Season of Magic Seasonal event. (Either that or they just hosed something up when enabling the Winter Event...) Guess it's time to swap one oppressive deck for another... :twisted:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Be cool if they’d balance out the major buff given to the lippy decks too. Haven’t beaten that deck once since the expansion

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yeah, Lippy's pretty insane right now. Not only did it get a lot of buffs, between the Roach/Knickers provision drop, Snowdrop, and the SK Witchers, but it destroys all the NG control and deck fuckery that people are running to shut down Viy and greedy engine decks. ("Oh no, you've filled my deck with copies of lovely cards, whatever will I do? Oops, now they're all in my graveyard. Sucks to be your tiny Kolgrim, eh? No worries, I'm sure a little Heatwave Part Deux will hide his shame..." :v:)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
On second thought, never mind Assimilate; this is some seriously oppressive shite in the Season of Magic seasonal.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea it sucks that cdpr has leaned into hardcore meme territory. If you aren’t teched specifically against certain decks you might as well forfeit and move on

I do like how Witcher NR has taken place of all the shieldwall shenanigan decks. It’s fun to play for and against

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol how do you bring back Momentum with the dames still broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Came back to try Gwent since 1.5 years ago and I like it. New expansion is cool and I like the planning that the adrenaline keyword brings. The journey thing also seems nice, though the quests can be tedious at times.

Managed to scrape a win against a Viy netdeck with my janky Dwarf deck lmao. Despite being an ST/NG player, I also put together an NR Witcher deck and I'm enjoying it a lot.