Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m in London too and didn’t get a text, so it must be a smaller region than that.

I guess it could be: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Haringey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/willsheehan68/status/1304146622637629440

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Because the Firefly was actually good OP. We didnt have anything as good till the Comet.

And to add to that the Comet was essentially an upgunned Cromwell so we kinda did have a glorious britane tank but only really late and not really better than the Firefly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Anyone mentioned 'Britannia waives the rules' yet?
Saw it elsewhere, thought it funny to pass on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BBC posted:

This targeted [hospital] testing meant infections in the community were completely missed, whereas now we have mass testing in the community. It means that if we compare numbers now to numbers during the peak, we are essentially comparing apples with pears.

Ah yes that famous phrase, comparing apples with pears

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Steve Jackson would like a word

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
When I was a kid I thought pears were just apples that had been on the tree for too long

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Everyone's allowed to wind people up a tiny bit every once in a while and the strawmen being built around Ober's extremely mild "Lol I've slightly annoyed two subordinates" story are starting to blot out the sun.

gently caress knows what you'd think of my policy of changing people's desktops to catman (blast from the past for the LF crew there) rather than going through the formal disciplinary process if they leave their machines unlocked.

We just sent emails saying that they were going to get a round of coffee or donuts in.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

I googled that and came up with a book of that title:

Britannia Waives the Rules
A T Culwick
Published by Nasionale Boekhandel, 1965

A scathing and idiosyncratic critique of British colonial policy by an ex colonial administrator.

Might be worth a peek!

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/author/A-T-CULWICK?cm_sp=brcr-_-bdp-_-author

Just checked amazon and there seem to be a few books with that title.

Oh and an album by Budgie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27L-SljyGUk

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 11, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
TAKE. HIM. OOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUT :bahgawd:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

Steve Jackson would like a word

I think I missed that Fighting Fantasy book.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

I think I missed that Fighting Fantasy book.

it's from Munchkin Booty

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ChantayyJayy/status/1304425963078512646?s=20

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

The Sims 4 has a pretty good aesthetic design and home ownership this is just Second Life and debt. Shameful poo poo.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The sad thing is thats more effort than most uni admins have put into online planning.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I wonder if covid has been a lifeline for the OU. Tories seemed to be doing their best to kill it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
as a student i ain't give a poo poo and loving adore the fact i don't need to move yet tbh. i'd do 4 years like this if they'd offer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Virtual meetings chat:

On Zoom, I've added a virtual image background which gives the impression that I am in a large, well-stocked library with lots of oak-panelling instead of my tiny living room.
On my birthday, I used a background of one of those cliff-hanger bubbles high up in a Peruvian mountain and SOME people thought I really was there and asked if I ran tours!!

But seems you can't add one in Teams (which the tiny charity I've just started doing some pro bono website stuff for is using) unless you are ALREADY in the meeting which kind of defies the objective if fellow meeters see first my kitchen behind me and then a luxury library.

Boo to Teams.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Once you've done it for one meeting, it's the default for future meetings, so they can see your grandeur in the future.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But seems you can't add one in Teams (which the tiny charity I've just started doing some pro bono website stuff for is using) unless you are ALREADY in the meeting which kind of defies the objective if fellow meeters see first my kitchen behind me and then a luxury library.

Boo to Teams.

You can. On the screen that pops up just before you join the meeting (where you decide things if you want to come in with your mic and video on you can select a background then.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I am willing to accept that UK universities were to a large extent forced into becoming businesses, that hiring former CEOs rather than professors emeriti as their principals and vice chancellors was as much a result of their new government mandated status as degree sellers as its cause, and that the vast majority of academic staff would really prefer to just do their research and teaching without having to compete in a horrible internal marketplace of student-hours and salary-to-stakeholder-value ratios. I don't think that this has really been good for anyone apart from maybe a very few MBAs who were given honourary professorships and a six figure salary to entice them from Deloitte into the top ranks of uni admin. But all the same it's extremely funny to me to see how desperate the universities now are becoming, facing the double barrels of no more EU research funding and students who've been told they're customers for the last couple of decades finally asking "what exactly am I paying for here and can I please speak to the manager?" Unfortunately I guess in reality it'll just lead to a lot of good people losing their jobs while the richest unis just move even more towards being landlords with a royal charter and selling postgrad degrees to rich Chinese families looking to move money out of the country.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Virtual meetings chat:

On Zoom, I've added a virtual image background which gives the impression that I am in a large, well-stocked library with lots of oak-panelling instead of my tiny living room.
On my birthday, I used a background of one of those cliff-hanger bubbles high up in a Peruvian mountain and SOME people thought I really was there and asked if I ran tours!!

Boo to Teams.

Check if Teams has a web version of their software - our place is using Starleaf and the actual app would not play nice with my OBS backgrounds etc, but the web version would accept OBS cam without complaint.

OBS is a must have if you are doing streams etc, it's a bit 'open source' in learning its workings, but once you have it up and running its very capable, and FREE.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Working from home for the foreseeable, so online meetings; am enjoying myself with OBS video software and a green paper backdrop.

^^ video of a posh beach pinched off Youtube and layered in.

https://obsproject.com/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Once you've done it for one meeting, it's the default for future meetings, so they can see your grandeur in the future.

Angrymog posted:

You can. On the screen that pops up just before you join the meeting (where you decide things if you want to come in with your mic and video on you can select a background then.

Well that's good to know though it means I can't try out different backgrounds in advance unless I can somehow set up a meeting with myself... she says... just thinking.... I guess I could set one up with myself using another email address and on my mobile for one.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Check if Teams has a web version of their software - our place is using Starleaf and the actual app would not play nice with my OBS backgrounds etc, but the web version would accept OBS cam without complaint.

OBS is a must have if you are doing streams etc, it's a bit 'open source' in learning its workings, but once you have it up and running its very capable, and FREE.

^^ video of a posh beach pinched off Youtube and layered in.

https://obsproject.com/

I've got OBS already but not really used it much other than for screen capturing some videos that you know are going to get taken down and for which there are no download links (and yes I do check 'page source' to see if I can find direct links to vids, sometimes yes, usually no though).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well that's good to know though it means I can't try out different backgrounds in advance unless I can somehow set up a meeting with myself... she says... just thinking.... I guess I could set one up with myself using another email address and on my mobile for one.

What if you go to Settings > Devices > Make a test call. Does that give you the opportunity to set up a background?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

happyhippy posted:

gently caress, that's good

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

What if you go to Settings > Devices > Make a test call. Does that give you the opportunity to set up a background?

Hm I'll try that but I've closed it down for the night as my computer wants to 'restart' and do some updates.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Set up a meeting with nobody else invited. You'll get the options when you start it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

OwlFancier posted:

And the ones at fault there are the tryhards who feel like they're better than everyone else for being too dumb to skive.

I think that people put effort into their work for other reasons, and resentment (if any) comes afterwards. bluntly, not everyone does work in an isolated do-nothing office job, or has the prospects to get another job elsewhere, or doesn't have additional social/personal ties to work, or doesn't have mental/physical difficulties complicating matters etc. etc.

personally (amongst other reasons) I bust my knuckles at my poo poo exploited minimum wage job so I have the credibility to turn around and argue against conservative myth-making from a position of authenticity

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lt. Danger posted:

I think that people put effort into their work for other reasons, and resentment (if any) comes afterwards. bluntly, not everyone does work in an isolated do-nothing office job, or has the prospects to get another job elsewhere, or doesn't have additional social/personal ties to work, or doesn't have mental/physical difficulties complicating matters etc. etc.

personally (amongst other reasons) I bust my knuckles at my poo poo exploited minimum wage job so I have the credibility to turn around and argue against conservative myth-making from a position of authenticity

I'm in minimum wage in a cafe and I have no prospect of being anywhere else but lmao at the idea of going above and beyond so the gammon in my head likes me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Continuity RCP posted:

I'm in minimum wage in a cafe and I have no prospect of being anywhere else but lmao at the idea of going above and beyond so the gammon in my head likes me
I've been there, and the best step imo has been to find out the multiple and definite ways they're loving up the electrical regs (may no longer apply now that nobody cares about anything) and charging from a position of perceived authority to fix that.

This may be null and void in the current era where you can just kill people for the market tho. v:shobon:v

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've got OBS already but not really used it much other than for screen capturing some videos that you know are going to get taken down and for which there are no download links (and yes I do check 'page source' to see if I can find direct links to vids, sometimes yes, usually no though).
youtube-dl if it's one of these sites.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1304684690528505856?s=20
https://twitter.com/khayerc/status/1304524039524880385?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

That is another way to phrase "thinks it makes them better than everyone else"

I also work minimum wage no future job and I do as little as possible because I am entirely aware that how hard I do or don't work has zero bearing on my ability to tell tories they're full of poo poo.

Suggesting that you can't argue against that if you don't work hard is not arguing against that position, it's accepting it completely.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Should I be advising children to slack off and try as little as possible at school in an attempt to end capitalism and that they are utter rotters if they don't?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you wanted to be honest with them you could tell them that they will probably be hosed whether they work hard or not but if they feel like it they can put in a great deal of effort for a very slightly better chance of perhaps being picked for some kind of middle class job that might not completely dissolve in the next few decades by either the steady destabilization of the planet due to climate change or some random act of fiat by a government that hates them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

maybe they enjoy learning in which case they could join the ranks of the eternal academia failsons

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

OwlFancier posted:

you seem to be the only one thinking they're better than everyone else, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't like tryhards, I don't think they're good people to work with, I don't think they have a good attitude to co workers, and I don't like the idea that they somehow have "more authentic" opinions on the nature of lovely minimum wage work.

The kind of people who get tied up in "who's working hard enough" conversations are the ones who are in it to proclaim that everyone else is a workshy twat and the whole place would fall apart if not for their own personal contribution. They're the poo poo stirrers. Which is why I have as little as possible to do with them. They start out looking for someone to have a go at and work backwards to find a reason, probably wish they were managers the gits that they are.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 12, 2020