Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jaete posted:

Ok stupid question, how am I meant to install one of these gigantic monster cards in a tower case, without the card sagging and everything collapsing? I suppose there could be some kind of additional anti-sag bracket or whatever thing... are those, like, standard? If I have a random motherboard from a year ago, would it be likely to support something like that?

A bit of googling seems to indicate that there just isn't any better solution than

Obviously the answer is to do this, but with your old video card(s):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mcbexx posted:

First anti-sag bracket to market with :krad: RGB LEDs will make millions.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ir07m2/large_cpu_heatsinks_can_collide_with_the_3080_fe/

Whoops

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol this launch is going to be hilarious

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
WTF? You mean if I have a particular X299 board and a 15cm wide CPU cooler the expensive video card won't fit?!?! Nvidiots!

edit: GUYS, SERIOUSLY, DON'T BUY THESE CARDS! THEY'RE REAL BAD! *camps outside a BestBuy*

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This launch is a disaster for Nvidia. Get out of NVDA while you still can!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

According to their own video they say they tested over 15 boards and this was the only one with problems, which actually makes me feel a little better about slotting a 3080 next to my own fuckoff cooler.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I actually called this earlier. :chord:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Amazon indeed seems to have a whole bunch of different GPU sag brackets/things available, probably one of those will work. Like the lego dude but more expensive and less stylish. Or some things which are installed on top of the adjacent expansion slot but those seem like they wouldn't be as supportive

(Ideally, there'd be some cool lego kit which would happen to fit this, but I'm not sure how many blocks etc would be needed for my particular case and card and also I'm lazy)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

x299 boards also have x16/x16 so they could just... install the gpu in the lower x16 slot

edit: oh i forgot it depends on the cpu, not all of them have that many lanes

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 12, 2020

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The MSI cards are coming with anti-sag brackets. Wouldn't surprise me if other boards came with them too.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i see the problem here. it's the fool still using an air cpu cooler

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shipon posted:

That cooler likely performs just as well as an AIO

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Remember that Lian Li-like solutions with standoff screw-mounted brackets might not work if there are heat shields or other crap on your motherboard.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The 3080 is fine. The real one to watch is people buying the 3090fe/AIB without checking its dimensions and not being able to squeeze it in their blinged out cases

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

jisforjosh posted:

That cooler likely performs just as well as an AIO

clearly it fails in the performance-per-inch metric

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

clearly it fails in the performance-per-inch metric

not if you count the radiator and pump!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

not if you count the radiator and pump!

you know i don't

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shipon posted:

Looks like this guy didn't get the memo that hsfs are back in fashion again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

imagine having a cooling system that evaporates over time

this post was brought to you by noctua d15 gang

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol the 3090s haven't even been sent out to reviewers according to twitter -
paper launch

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Looks like this guy didn't get the memo that hsfs are back in fashion again

Hey sometimes people get it wrong, just because people don't know how to mount their AIOs properly that's on them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ufarn posted:

Remember that Lian Li-like solutions with standoff screw-mounted brackets might not work if there are heat shields or other crap on your motherboard.

You'd assume those would still have the stand-off holes accessible.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
thinking about upgrading to the 3070 for cyberpunk if it really is $500, but a 460w psu isn't going to cut it for that, is it? i've never upgraded a psu before - is corsair a decent brand?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

thinking about upgrading to the 3070 for cyberpunk if it really is $500, but a 460w psu isn't going to cut it for that, is it? i've never upgraded a psu before - is corsair a decent brand?

Depending on what CPU you have that might work, like it probably won't actually shut off just pushing it a bit.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The real solution to GPU sag is this thing:

But that would require case manufacturers to add the full length card support it slots into.

(Nvidia's FE and pro/compute cards have 2-3 screw holes on the end; they're for this bracket. Workstation and server cases still have the card support.)

Edit: if you're having trouble visualizing how it works, see the Tesla card in this workstation:

With the full-length extension and card support, that card isn't going anywhere. A force strong enough to dislodge it would gently caress up the whole case.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 12, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I used this sag brace with my gaming x Trio.

upHere Graphics Card GPU Brace Support Video Card Sag Holder/Holster Bracket, Anodized Aerospace Aluminum, Single or Dual Slot Cards Black (G205) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HSVSLR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.icxFb7VXKCHM

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 12, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

If anyone is wondering why it's because some reviewers requested more time.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Will my 2600x bottleneck a 3080?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Howard Phillips posted:

yup

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Howard Phillips posted:

Throw it in the trash. Need a 10900K

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

According to their own video they say they tested over 15 boards and this was the only one with problems, which actually makes me feel a little better about slotting a 3080 next to my own fuckoff cooler.

It's really not news - the D15 and U14s are already listed as incompatible with boards like that and they'd have problems with any GPU with a backplate. There's nothing new going on with the 3080. If your current GPU works with you motherboard and cooler, so will a 3080.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 12, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

please clean your computers, folks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

gradenko_2000 posted:

please clean your computers, folks

Please use actual examples of dirty computers folks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Stickman posted:

It's really not news, the D15 and U14s are already listed as incompatible with boards like that, and they'd have problems with any GPU with a backplate. There's nothing new going on with the 3080. If your current GPU works with you motherboard and cooler, so will a 3080.

Yeah, the guy literally said that the 3080 is only 1mm taller on the backside than many current backplate-equipped cards, and that 1mm is not making the difference there: it's using a cooler that very clearly says it's not compatible with that specific board and then acting all confused.

At least all the top comments on the thread are "boy you are dumb to think that's a 3080 issue" and call him out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Micro Center has a FAQ out today:

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/4542/rtx-3000-series-discussion/p1

Quick takeaways, they've confirmed they are not getting FE cards but will be getting AIBs (which apparently is normal according to a r/nvidia mod as they also didn't carry FE Turing cards at launch). They will not have them available for online shipping nor in-store pick up, in-store only due to demand.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Microcenter put up their FAQ for 3080 launch:

https://community.microcenter.com/d...m_medium=social

tl;dr:

- No online order, period. Not even online with in-store pickup.
- No camping out, but they'll give out vouchers (not saying what time though so I'm sure that'll be a clusterfuck).
- No FE edition, AIB partner cards only.
- 1 per person.

Still think I'm gonna try and get one at the Fairfax store. Anyone gone to a launch day before? How early do you need to be there? I've got the week off work but I'd prefer not to spend midnight - 10 AM there.

EVGA's usually the recommended AIB right?

edit: I suppose I could try Best Buy for an FE card but that seems risky and assumes that the FE card will be better than AIB which I don't think is always the case? This is the first Nvidia card I've ever bought going back to 1998 or so, so I'm a bit new to how they do things. I know AMD's reference cards always suck. My reference RX 480 sounded like a hair dryer.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 12, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FE's historically haven't been as good as AIB cards but the new design makes it interesting though no one but reviewers can say for sure yet.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Reviewers having trouble getting 3090 cards is just par for the course in terms of how Nvidia has gone completely out of its way to not show literally anything about it. Not exactly a vote of confidence if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

axeil posted:

Anyone gone to a launch day before? How early do you need to be there? I've got the week off work but I'd prefer not to spend midnight - 10 AM there.

We're off-book for this. COVID's changed launch days. It wouldn't shock me if some places don't call the cops on campers.