Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

The Titanic posted:

Star Citizen is like 4 1/2 light years away.

Fixed that for you

e: raccoon from this morning for taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuckin pingu posted:

The Room System has been in the game for quite a while and [INSERT YEARS WORTH OF TECHNICAL DEBT HERE] for the long term, and for people's ability to lose themselves in the universe of Star Citizen for many years to come it is the approach that will have the best results.

Meanwhile a Xbox 360 looking train no clips into another train and water appears next to a cup, as a generic spaceman no clips through a grey corridor.
As a server strains to accommodate 12 players it disconnects and a .exe silently stops responding. On the other side of the world a man is confused as he tries to set a course to one of the 99% of star systems that do not exist. Like the unused sectors on his hard drive where content was once promised to be, space is empty, as his his wallet.
A lone commando pilots his chariot, weightless and without any discernible mass through the majestic cityscape of the solitary planet. He sighs as he nears a no fly zone, in this PC game that does not hold your hand or funnel you around like those despicable console games. He sighs. He knows this is freedom. He is liberated and elated to be part of the solution to the problem, the problem that is PC gaming is currently dead.

Citizens rejoice, thankful that their leader has bestowed upon them gifts of unparalleled simulation fidelity, and all this... Soon.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

800peepee51doodoo posted:

No offense meant here, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I hate. This dude is so enamored with spaceship technology that he hasn't put any thought into what to do once we get there. Like, as a scientific endeavor, its really cool. Hopefully we'll be able to do that kind of thing some day. But as a survival strategy, it won't work. He's also doing that thing I mentioned above, where its easier for him to imagine all of the world's governments coming together to build a giant space laser on the moon to send a ship to Alpha Centauri but can't imagine all the world's governments capping CO2 emissions.

Yeah I’m very much a layman when it comes to space stuff (I went to school for international politics), and I honestly can’t argue the science itself. Matt O’Dowd (the guy in the video) is an astrophysicist and very much in the Neil Degrasse Tyson camp of gee wiz futurists. But, it still seems to me that it’s possible in the coming centuries, and at least something we should be striving towards.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thing is with space science, you can make up any old poo poo.
Like, realistically who's gonna prove me wrong? Space is made up of gently caress all, it's just black and stars are bits of polystyrene packing that's left over, floating around from when God moved in.
The moon is a bin lid, black holes are just some bullshit someone made up to sell books and heaven is a half pipe.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

Alpha Centauri is like 4 1/2 light years away.

If we ever got something to travel that long, that fast, we could maybe! Even maybe sub light!

But if you were to hit something going that fast, it would effectively go right through you or vaporize you immediately. Not to mention only light travels at light speed, people and things are not radiation. Well never get to light speeds. You're looking at 100's or 1000's of years of travel time. A time where you basically have to have computers and systems not break even if nothing hit you.

The distances in space are super depressing to think about, and makes you really feel like your entire existence is just a tiny nothing of another nothing. :)

A cool way to visualise the distances involved in our solar system, let alone space

https://www.peoriariverfrontmuseum.org/dome-planetarium/community-solar-system

Another one but I agree with you here, man this is depressing

https://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

I prefer hopping around the galaxy in Elite Dangerous to be honest than actually contemplating how big space is.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It won't happen in our lifetime and this generation may be long gone at that point, but I am hopeful people will figure things out, first among themselves and then about salvaging our civilization and dealing with whatever the ELE may be (if it's before the Sun expanding).

Sci-fi stuff like Arc ships, fast travel, human like AI and advanced robotics, storing and restoring memories, personality transfer to an artificial body and a whole other load of crap, may not *all* be achievable but a subset might be in a few centuries time ahead.

I mean, one can hope, and since I won't get to see it one way or another, it's best to stay optimistic about stuff that I cannot control.

However, if in two years from now SQ57 is not released, I'll be really pissed.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Even if we had the technology to travel (close to) light speed, it would take about a year of continually accelerating at a rate that wouldn't kill us (~3g's) to get going that fast. Then we'd have to spend another year decelerating. Alpha Centauri would be closer to a 6 or 7 year trip.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Nicholas posted:

Even if we had the technology to travel (close to) light speed, it would take about a year of continually accelerating at a rate that wouldn't kill us (~3g's) to get going that fast. Then we'd have to spend another year decelerating. Alpha Centauri would be closer to a 6 or 7 year trip.

And then there's this to consider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_spaceflight_on_the_human_body

I don't think we're going anywhere.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thing is when you got there it'd just be a load of rocks and poo poo, it's like the ultimate sad trombone adventure or something.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

heaven is a half pipe.
another thps1+2 lover i see

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Who's to say we will travel the universe in our meatbag bodies?

Realistically we'll probably have a convergence with AI/vitualization of our organic bodies prior to any expansion into the universe. At that point would relative speeds matter?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

another thps1+2 lover i see

No man, something entirely much worse

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can walk down the street and go to a kick rear end pub, play some games and poo poo, have a laugh with people.
Seems to me the whole travel at the speed of light crew haven't thought it through, like, yo, where you going precisely? Will it be as good as this pub? Probably not.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

monkeytek posted:

Who's to say we will travel the universe in our meatbag bodies?

Realistically we'll probably have a convergence with AI/vitualization of our organic bodies prior to any expansion into the universe. At that point would relative speeds matter?

Tony Z to the rescue!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Tony Z to the rescue!

By the time that fucker sorts it out you could've walked there

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

we'll put our minds into robot bodies waaaaaay before any of that, or just create synthetic life that will be the continuation/replacement of human life (and probably most life on the planet)

like lol who gives a poo poo if it takes me 50,000 years to get somewhere in my cool robobrain spaceship bod playing fuckin holideck games n poo poo sucking down light to power my quantumwhatsit CPUs or RAMdick or whatever

suck it meat havers

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Someone said that we probably won't move to Mars because if we have the tech to do that we'll probably have the tech to fix Earth a lot easier, and I was like 'yeah that makes sense' and ever since that I've had a real downer on technological progress.
If Elite Dangerous has taught me anything it's that even when faced with the majesty of a distant sun you can still be bored fuckin rigid

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

peter gabriel posted:

By the time that fucker sorts it out you could've walked there

Tony used to live in a box, now he writes AI
But his bartenders suck, they suck, so much
But he has these great ideas, wanna see what's next
He writes on his board dreams.txt

Woah, we're halfway there
Woah-oh, standin' on a chair
Take my hand, and we'll pose in a T
Woah-oh, thanks to Tony Z

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Woooooah we're half way theeeerrre
WOOOO-OAH! THAT'S A SEXY BEEEEAAARRRR!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nicholas posted:

Even then, its still a 75% chance that Alpha Centauri has a habitable planet.
1 in 4 chance we get there and there is gently caress all.
Just like an updated CIG roadmap.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
After years travelling at light speed a soft bong sound occurs. 'You have arrived at your destination' a calming voice announces over the ships tannoy system.
Cheers erupt as the excited crew wait for the titanium shutters to slowly reveal the full spectacle of a distant corner of space never before witnessed by human eyes.
The shutters elevate, teasingly inch by inch until finally with a satisfying 'clunk' they lock into place, fully open.
The captain, gingerly walks towards the window, raises his hand up to shield his eyes slightly and stares out into the void.
After a minute he turns around and faces the crew...

"Gentlemen... it looks just like space did from Earth, like literally the same"

The shutters slowly begin to close as the ship turns around.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

TheAgent posted:

uuuhhh why don't you simply just open a hole into another dimension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeEC70Hw38&t=19s

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

The Titanic posted:

Humanity.txt

The grass is always greener on the other side, etc.

I took a lot of time studying astronomy and worked at some planetariums and their software when I was in another life, and there's a few things I realized:

1: The galaxy earth is in is really huge
2: I pretty much guarantee there is more life out there, probably even really intelligent life
3: Because of #1, it doesn't matter at all
4: If/when we pick up a transmission from another space race, they probably died millions of years ago
5: #1 is really depressing, we will never leave our solar system ever and we will die when earth does, assuming we last that long
6: When the sun dies, it will expand for a long time before going out. The outer circumference of the new sun will literally reach earths orbit and earth we'll be long dead and then also thrown into a fire. There will be no record we ever existed

Interestingly enough there have been at least stop-gap solutions for #6. It's been proposed that when the Sun starts expanding and pushing the habitable zone outside of Earths orbit a planetoid could be set up in a specific orbit which would cross both Earth's orbit and Jupiter's orbit. It'd then be possible to "sap" orbital momentum from Jupiter and "give" it to Earth, slowly pushing our orbit outwards.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

colonelwest posted:

:reddit:@croberts68 Thank you so much for such an in-depth reply on something the community is so looking forward to, but also even more for making an appearance to the community! Your visibility is sorely missed by the older backer community far more than you know. There is a huge disconnect between the massive increase in income from new backers and the broad anger and discontent from long term backers (not me, I fight this hard every day as one of the last White Knights) and it is 100% around the change in how CIG is communicating and involved with the community.

Small investments in time even once a quarter by you and the other key leaders that the older community loves and misses like Brian Chambers, Erin Roberts, and some others would pay tremendous dividends in goodwill, better press, and increased funding. The Pillar Talks started out great but are far too fast paced, edited out, and missing the authenticity that made the community love CIG so devoutly. If you, Brian, and Erin could give us one hour of your time in free flowing big picture, long range discussions even twice a year you would see an incredible change in the community's positivity.

Newer backers don't even know what the big picture is anymore because it's never talked about. I ask new concierge what they know of it and many haven't even seen the Starmap and are clueless, they are coming because of what is "right now" on youtube is beautiful and fun. It is YOUR vision and passion that the community is devoted to, we believe in YOU. The community has been and will continue to be the project's greatest advocates, cheerleaders, and marketers.

Only a small overall investment in time like this post will turn the tide against the angry loud voices and as someone who has been in sales and marketing for 30 years, I see the opportunity cost of not doing this estimating an intangible 15-20% additional revenue of 12-15 Million that could have been raised this year. I expect there is good internal data on spending by longer term backers (4 years+) that is down significantly.

But again, THANK YOU so much for taking this time Chris

Thank you Chris, thank you for doing the absolute bare minimum and staying on vacation while still collecting millions from this scam.

Eternally grateful,

An easy mark

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Ffycchi posted:

I have cancer. The fact that I'm betting that I'll die before this game comes out says a lot...and that's with a prognosis of 5 years.

I hope you're wrong.

cwtch
Jul 27, 2017
Imagine throwing money to the tune of a couple hundred million dollars at Chris Roberts for nearly a decade and counting of delays and refactors to get him to produce the perfectly balanced resource management game in real time of your dreams and oh look! Clouds and vacuums!*

*from the mouth of Chris Roberts himself

cwtch fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 12, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Deeturbomber posted:

My computer is freezing up trying to delete the folder out of Program Files after I couldn't find an option to uninstall in the launcher, so I figured 'okay, uninstall the launcher, that'll uninstall the game'.... Nope.

What, throwing in the towel already?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The Titanic posted:

You're looking at 100's or 1000's of years of travel time.

Do you want space Mormons and the Nauvoo? Because that's how you get space Mormons and the Nauvoo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Humanity.txt

6: When the sun dies, it will expand for a long time before going out. The outer circumference of the new sun will literally reach earths orbit and earth we'll be long dead and then also thrown into a fire. There will be no record we ever existed

Once Elon frees us from this rock we'll be able to finally send out trash to some rocky planetoid in the outer solar system (pluto ain't that popular nowadays, nobody will mind) so that, a billion years into the future, aliens will be able to land into a half km crust of soiled diapers, plastic bags, and vhs copies of WC:the movie (which will be produced by the billions after SC becomes the biggest game ever) . Then, they'll marvel at our accomplishments and probably build a few shrines to Freddie Prince Jr.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

Thing is with space science, you can make up any old poo poo.
Like, realistically who's gonna prove me wrong? Space is made up of gently caress all, it's just black and stars are bits of polystyrene packing that's left over, floating around from when God moved in.
The moon is a bin lid, black holes are just some bullshit someone made up to sell books and heaven is a half pipe.

:hmmyes:

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What, throwing in the towel already?

YEP

I might return to give it more of a go later on, but the performance is near-unplayable and I don't know that I can make the ship controls work in a way I understand. Past the novelty of the few things I like, the performance is just bad enough that it saps the enjoyment out of anything else. It reminds me of Osiris: New Dawn, except I can turn Osiris down to potato graphics to make it run better.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Meanwhile a Xbox 360 looking train no clips into another train and water appears next to a cup, as a generic spaceman no clips through a grey corridor.
As a server strains to accommodate 12 players it disconnects and a .exe silently stops responding. On the other side of the world a man is confused as he tries to set a course to one of the 99% of star systems that do not exist. Like the unused sectors on his hard drive where content was once promised to be, space is empty, as his his wallet.
A lone commando pilots his chariot, weightless and without any discernible mass through the majestic cityscape of the solitary planet. He sighs as he nears a no fly zone, in this PC game that does not hold your hand or funnel you around like those despicable console games. He sighs. He knows this is freedom. He is liberated and elated to be part of the solution to the problem, the problem that is PC gaming is currently dead.

Citizens rejoice, thankful that their leader has bestowed upon them gifts of unparalleled simulation fidelity, and all this... Soon.

:kiss:

Orange Carlisle posted:

Thank you Chris, thank you for doing the absolute bear bare minimum and staying on vacation while still collecting millions from this scam.

Eternally grateful,

An easy mark

Really missed an opportunity there! :iiasb:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The Titanic posted:

This is why I sank.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheAgent posted:

we'll put our minds into robot bodies waaaaaay before any of that, or just create synthetic life that will be the continuation/replacement of human life (and probably most life on the planet)

like lol who gives a poo poo if it takes me 50,000 years to get somewhere in my cool robobrain spaceship bod playing fuckin holideck games n poo poo sucking down light to power my quantumwhatsit CPUs or RAMdick or whatever

suck it meat havers

I like the twist of your circuitry.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

You know, I'm okay with the faith being restored. It will make whatever ELE Bootcha is going to drop with the next Sunk Cost Galaxy all the more entertaining, as it was with the last chapter.

Plus, watching more money get thrown into this dumpster fire means it remains the gift that just keeps giving!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so i gave this turd rocket a try during the free fly. i've followed this thread for some time, so here's a bulleted list of FUDster stuff from my first time with the game:
- Literally the first time I spawned and mashed enough buttons to get out of my wank pod, I fell through the floor and watched my body temperature go down as I fell through the sky and went splat.
- thanks to SA I know that elevators are the most important game system in SC. i was able to successfully navigate the elevator to and run to the tube
- a train showed up just as my train was leaving, jankily clipping through it fortunately the train i boarded carried me away through a rather long tunnel ride that i can only imagine is neat about 1 time.
- i called up some light fighter that undoubtedly punches above its weight and sheared something off trying to hover in the hangar bay. I sent many "o7 fellow citizens!!" messages and they told me the arcane button presses needed to open the hangar door.
- the server i was on had about 42 people on it, several of them bragging how much money they spent on the game. $2k here, $10k there, one guy claimed someone in his group dropped $20k and now they have unreleased jpegs to play with. IDK
- i was sorely disappointed by the lack of t-posed NPCs. i was promised t-posed NPCs.
- i flew to some space station and landed on a pad. i ran around looking for a bar and didn't find one, not did i find any t-posed NPCs. disappointed.
- i started to fly to some random planet (i dont know or care about any of the location names in this strange hangar simulator) to find a bar to drink with FELLOW CITIZENS :huh: but the destination was some 48,000,000km away and I got bored of waiting for quantum drive for 20 mintues.
- i suicided and woke up in the wank pod on the station I last visited and at that point was so bored that I uninstalled the game.

worth what i paid for it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Playing Star Citizen is great if you need to get other poo poo done cause after about 30 minutes you're hyper aware at how much it wants to waste your time doing pointless tedious crap that you feel compelled to go do anything else just to make up for the time you wasted.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
Somebody is selling preorder for gold plated PS5 : https://www.trulyexquisite.co.uk/24k-gold-ps5

Thing is I checked price, my brain couldn't helped and compared it to Pledge store prices.
So it is is actually cheaper then Pledging for Star citizen JPGs.

Even if I bought all three, it is still cheaper then legatus.jpg

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Star Citizer: “Could be it won’t work for another 10 years... but we pay them to keep trying.”

:reddit:

Well in War Thunder you make a pretty looking 3d model from the outside and the interior is just collision boxes. In SC we are talking about having a highly detailed interior that any player can not only walk through but interact with. Also the interior needs to change visually when a fire spreads and causes damages on the object and textures. It's as if you could go inside the tank in war thunder, have everything 100% modeled in there and you could open up the damaged parts and see what damage the bullet has done to the interior mechanics of that device. If wires have been affected by the flames etc... it's a completely different scale (compared to SC by the complexity form a workload perspective)

Of course in SC you won't find anything as detailed as I just described in the WT scenario but consider capital ships, your 3d model is just enormous and allowing to go through each corridor with the fidelity and the way they are aiming to implement it, it comes close in terms of workload. Don't get me wrong I'm not happy with how things are right now either, but his message was quite important to know if we can expect detailed systems and knowingly from DCS can make for very interesting gameplay or if we are facing boring brain off arcade casual gameplay the way it is right now. And he answered that and yes unfortunately it will take a poo poo ton of time, but it's the way to go if you want to end up with enjoyable gameplay, that is not scripted, or just brain off gameplay. There is no sense in continuing the current physical damage model, if it gets thrown out the window anyway. They learned of what they needed to learn from the current implementation, but otherwise, it's just a place holder.

Server meshing and iCache etc have been answered in a video recently, it's a very complex project, this stuff is coming but it needs to work. Also the huge issue will be latencies, the big questions still is, if it will ever work anything close to what the vision is. Hundreds of players in space, with systemic simulated depth experienced from first person perspective with COD type latency times so we can properly shoot each other with our hand guns and rifles. Could be it won't work for the next 10 years as there is just too many problems appearing constantly and no way to make it happen. But we pay them to keep trying because they are just as nuts as every supporter is.But there are certainly things not going well atm especially the communication of development statuses. I've been happier personally with the past 2 months, and this message was another step in the right direction. Cools people off and we get a sense for what they are going for.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Yeah that's the good stuff.