Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

multijoe posted:

Just let it go dude, you said your piece. There's no reason to hang around in a thread just to tell repeatedly everyone else they're wrong for enjoying it.

Have you been on Something Awful before? It’s not for sycophantic praise, bud. I’ve never said anyone is wrong for enjoying it. They are however wrong to think it’s good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Have you been on Something Awful before? It’s not for sycophantic praise, bud. I’ve never said anyone is wrong for enjoying it. They are however wrong to think it’s good writing.

Good how?

It's comedy writing. If it elicits laughter and enjoyment in a significant fraction of the audience, it's done its job.
It's also nostalgic Trek writing and seems to hit there too.

Seems like you may be judging it by rules it has no intention of adhering to?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Phylodox posted:

References are the fire in which we burn.

This is inspirational.
:mods:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

I’ve never said anyone is wrong for enjoying it. They are however wrong to think it’s good writing.

Super Deuce posted:

Does Katy t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m write for Lower Decks? *holds up spork*

The only person I've met who I think may enjoy this garbage is my brother-in-law who watches Norbit at least once a week.

your first post ITT buddy :thunk:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

The Expanse I haven’t gotten to, yet.

The Expanse owns, and it's incredibly damning that a show all about war, opression and terrorism is much more positive and optimistic about human nature than the last 20 years of Star Trek.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

your first post ITT buddy :thunk:

Yea. That’s the only person I’ve encountered in real life who would like this schlock. Doesn’t mean he’s not allowed to.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The Expanse is a wonderful show. Star Trek has been pretty much garbage for years, except for Lower Decks, which is amazing.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TomR posted:

The Expanse is a wonderful show. Star Trek has been pretty much garbage for years, except for Lower Decks, which is amazing.

For a few years since discovery started*

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

I’ve never said anyone is wrong for enjoying it.

You just insist on repeatedly barging into this thread and throwing tantrums about how this is a bad, stupid show for literal babies and anyone who likes it must be a bad, stupid baby.

Honestly, do you really feel like you're contributing to this thread in a positive, meaningful way?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

You just insist on repeatedly barging into this thread and throwing tantrums about how this is a bad, stupid show for literal babies and anyone who likes it must be a bad, stupid baby.

Honestly, do you really feel like you're contributing to this thread in a positive, meaningful way?

Do you think you’re contributing? I don’t care if you think it’s contributing. It’s a badly written show. There are no jokes. Jokes are part of comedy. This show only has frantic “le random” stuff with useless references to rewards the dumb audience. There have been several a examples given. Several hypotheticals of this sort of “humor” in other shows. It’s bad writing. Quality can be objective. Your enjoyment is subjective.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

You 2 are the borg and romulans and I am the Cerritos

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

You 2 are the borg and romulans and I am the Cerritos

I sincerely apologize for continuing to engage in these slapfights with SD, it's like drugs I just can't quit it I'm trying

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Doing that thing we all love on Something Awful of posting endless unfunny screeds about how anyone who disagrees with me on a cartoon is an objectively wrong imbecile

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phylodox posted:

References are the fire in which we burn.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

This is inspirational.
:mods:

I rather believe that references are a companion that go with us on the journey and remind us to cherish every joke. Because they'll never come again... unless you reference it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hi,

The show isn't bad, it could be better, but I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it. I even laughed a couple of times.

Doesn't require a diatribe on narrative dissonance to enjoy, its a low effort cartoon on a streaming service looking for properties and it seems like its handled with love unlike the current show runners of picard etc who just want to make things space 24.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk there is your wendy's orders under your seats please pull ahead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

Hi,

The show isn't bad, it could be better, but I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it. I even laughed a couple of times.

Doesn't require a diatribe on narrative dissonance to enjoy, its a low effort cartoon on a streaming service looking for properties and it seems like its handled with love unlike the current show runners of picard etc who just want to make things space 24.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk there is your wendy's orders under your seats please pull ahead.

But how will the world get by with out knowing how absolutely enraged I am about Star Trek though? :(

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

But how will the world get by with out knowing how absolutely enraged I am about Star Trek though? :(

It's got bigger things to deal with at the moment...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

apatheticman posted:

It's got bigger things to deal with at the moment...

2020 was formed by three simultaneous shitposts, one in the past, one in the present, and one in the future

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This may be shocking but people can enjoy things that aren't objectively good. Super Deuce, my friendo, your (very few, very intense) posts in this thread are repetitive and-- worst of all-- they're not funny. Debating the quality of the show is a good and rad and cool thing to do on these forums, but my attention being brought to this thread every other week because you keep railing on the same points and bringing nothing new to the table is, in fact, not good and rad and cool.

My advice would be to stop watching the show or at the very least stop whining about it so intensely in here. If you have nothing new to bring and already know that the opinions in this thread conflict with your own narrow ones, why do you keep bothering? Is it to stir poo poo or does Lower Decks really bother you that much?

I've gotten reports about this more than once since Lower Decks started and it's just silly to me. Anyone annoyed by Super Deuce please just put them on ignore or something. THAT SAID, while I do not like using probes as a time out function for posters who otherwise have not necessarily earned the kick in the rear end, I will not hesitate to slap Deuce with one if they don't reign it in.

Like read the room, man. If nobody wants to engage with your debate, maybe this isn't the place to have it. Or maybe try taking a less abrasive approach.

smdh now I have to bookmark a Star Trek thread!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

2020 was formed by three simultaneous shitposts, one in the past, one in the present, and one in the future

The forum gets unfunnier the farther you go into the past!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

esperterra posted:

This may be shocking but people can enjoy things that aren't objectively good. Super Deuce, my friendo, your (very few, very intense) posts in this thread are repetitive and-- worst of all-- they're not funny. Debating the quality of the show is a good and rad and cool thing to do on these forums, but my attention being brought to this thread every other week because you keep railing on the same points and bringing nothing new to the table is, in fact, not good and rad and cool.

My advice would be to stop watching the show or at the very least stop whining about it so intensely in here. If you have nothing new to bring and already know that the opinions in this thread conflict with your own narrow ones, why do you keep bothering? Is it to stir poo poo or does Lower Decks really bother you that much?

I've gotten reports about this more than once since Lower Decks started and it's just silly to me. Anyone annoyed by Super Deuce please just put them on ignore or something. THAT SAID, while I do not like using probes as a time out function for posters who otherwise have not necessarily earned the kick in the rear end, I will not hesitate to slap Deuce with one if they don't reign it in.

Like read the room, man. If nobody wants to engage with your debate, maybe this isn't the place to have it. Or maybe try taking a less abrasive approach.

smdh now I have to bookmark a Star Trek thread!!

No thanks. I’ll still tell people that they’re wrong. Because they are. Again. People can like bad things. Thinking bad things are actually good is wrong. Read the room is stupid because all you’re doing is what you think I’m doing. Yea I’m going to keep saying references aren’t jokes because they aren’t. This show is just as bad as Discovery and Picard. If that hurts people’s sensibilities because it’s a cartoon, why should I care?

Similarly I enjoy reiterating that good writing is important even in SILLY CARTOONS.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Super Deuce posted:

No thanks. I’ll still tell people that they’re wrong. Because they are. Again. People can like bad things. Thinking bad things are actually good is wrong. Read the room is stupid because all you’re doing is what you think I’m doing. Yea I’m going to keep saying references aren’t jokes because they aren’t. This show is just as bad as Discovery and Picard. If that hurts people’s sensibilities because it’s a cartoon, why should I care?

Similarly I enjoy reiterating that good writing is important even in SILLY CARTOONS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFHzLpRH5A

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this is some sort of cosmic irony for the fact that I'm in the USA isn't it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this is some sort of cosmic irony for the fact that I'm in the USA isn't it

Well poo poo

it's just RuPaul repeatedly telling queens to make it funny

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wouldn't be sad if it was cancelled but I do look forward to watching it every week, which is pretty high praise in the current TV landscape.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How many scenes has Bomlier had with Tendi or Rutherford, where Mariner wasnt present?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Another funny episode of LDS. I laughed out loud a bunch!

Look at me go, taking joy at watching something instead of spending a lot of effort trying to convince everyone else to hate something they enjoy. Go me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alchenar posted:

How many scenes has Bomlier had with Tendi or Rutherford, where Mariner wasnt present?

I can’t think of one. The only crossover between the two groups seems to be when they’re hanging out in their bunks? Or maybe I’m missing an obvious one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

esperterra posted:

Well poo poo

it's just RuPaul repeatedly telling queens to make it funny

whats your favorite captain

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crunch

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
When Lower Decks has it's final episode it should reveal the whole crew was made into a cartoon by a Q for its amusement before changing them back.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

whats your favorite captain
Picard
Sisko
Falcon
Kangaroo
Marvel
Planet
Pike
Jack Sparrow
America
Kirk
Hook
Ahab
Pollution
Morgan
Caveman
Janeway
D's
Crunch
Nemo
Archer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Super Deuce posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don’t like LD either dude, but goddamn. Talk about making GBS threads your pants and rolling around in it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Picard
Sisko
Falcon
Kangaroo
Marvel
Planet
Pike
Jack Sparrow
America
Kirk
Hook
Ahab
Pollution
Morgan
Caveman
Janeway
D's
Crunch
Nemo
Archer

I see a shameful lack of "Boomerang" on that list :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

Picard
Sisko
Falcon
Kangaroo
Marvel
Planet
Pike
Jack Sparrow
America
Kirk
Hook
Ahab
Pollution
Morgan
Caveman
Janeway
D's
Crunch
Nemo
Archer

Obvious.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Captain Power, natch.

Power on!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Ginyu. :ssj:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that was offhand and you three are all correct.

Need to add them to the ranking

Also Ron, Stubing, Bridger, Crunch, and Atom

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Changing my answer to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Are you going to let that insult of not naming Ginyu pass or are you going to give a rather pointed pose to tell him off.