Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll grab the WW2 ones if and when they release and patches aren't paid DLC.

Otherwise whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is CMSF2 a new game or just CMSF with an engine update?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Popete posted:

Is CMSF2 a new game or just CMSF with an engine update?

CMSF with a patch. Are the scenarios new? Anyone who owns both and can check?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

CMSF with a patch. Are the scenarios new? Anyone who owns both and can check?

I have both, but for some reason I can't get access to my download for one.......

BATTLEFRONT!!!!!!?!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They have actually done a pass through the scenarios and updated them a bit. Nothing too fancy, just better building models, a few tweaks here and there were some more detail was needed, that sort of thing. Also UAVs exist now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

I have both, but for some reason I can't get access to my download for one.......

BATTLEFRONT!!!!!!?!

That's because they made the first one inaccessible now that the "sequel" is out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's because they made the first one inaccessible now that the "sequel" is out.

tangentially related, but I've noticed too that Matrix no longer sells TOAW 3 and you can only buy TOAW 4 now

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah I know, sarcasm see not come across well in text.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm enjoying CMSF2. I'm still more excited for the eventual Battle for Normandy Steam release but I'm having fun.

The most baffling thing to me is still the resolution options. Game works fine in 1440p on the desktop settings but the only selectable resolutions in-game are a bunch of decade obsolete 4:3 resolutions (who the hell is still running a 4:3 monitor?).I

The UI is still in 4:3 in all of their games (nice decorative black squares next to it every game) so maybe the whole UI engine is hard coded to not take anything but 4:3 internally.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I am not playing CMSF2 because I thought the first one sucked and I don't think the CM engine works very well for modern warfare. It's cool that it's on Steam though.

:same: I want the WW2 games, and I can't think of any alternative if you want a multiplayer realistic 3d tactics game.
But there are campaigns for it that are syrian vs syrian which play a lot better getting rid of the more modern stuff. And being so old there is a giant pile of quality missions and campaigns for it now.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 9, 2020

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Flannelette posted:

The UI is still in 4:3 in all of their games (nice decorative black squares next to it every game) so maybe the whole UI engine is hard coded to not take anything but 4:3 internally

Oh the memories of Steve back in the cmx2 announcement days, telling everyone who said use an off the shelf graphics engine that they were stupid and Charles will do a much better job.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flannelette posted:

Is Call to Arms good?
It's only a grognard-lite but I like the original 3 soldiers/faces/men games for the unique games they were and I was talking about the series before and I haven't played it and assumed it was just like the MoW:assualt squad games but modern setting so I wasn't as interested but it seems to have lots of positive reviews and they announced a WW2 version of it coming later this year.
It seems like it actually adds a bit to the series than just another men of war like being able to direct control in first person and look around, better indoor stuff, better UI.

Its sadly very bad. Would not recommend

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Any news on any good ancient era games since Field of Glory: Empires?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Oh the memories of Steve back in the cmx2 announcement days, telling everyone who said use an off the shelf graphics engine that they were stupid and Charles will do a much better job.

It made sense in the mid 2000s and 90s you saved a lot of money and gained a lot of control BUT you have to keep on top of updating it as time goes by, they've revised it 4 times but it's still stuck in 2007 so it obviously is limited at a fundamental level and a new engine is well over due now (the time gap between the first CM engine and this one is smaller than the gap between today). Especially since the game still looks (flickery early '00 cpu heavy graphics) and runs (bad) the same as it did in '07 while running on hardware many times more powerful, according to my monitor it uses maybe 30% of my GPU and tends to just max out 1 or 2 threads while sitting at ~20-30 fps. All this for a full price game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Combat Mission on Unreal Engine 5 with Ray tracing support please

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'd buy it.

Still better than the new close combat game everyone forgot about either way.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Waiting on the announcement of the switch to Lumberyard.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

I was closely following Battlefront when they were developing Shock Force, and Steve stated at that time that it was the last engine that Charles would make.

So don't expect a new engine, this is it, and although it is less than perfect, it is still unique in how it succeeds in creating incredible combat stories.

So many minutes of nail-biting watching the turn go by, will that missile hit or miss, will they make it into cover?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

I was closely following Battlefront when they were developing Shock Force, and Steve stated at that time that it was the last engine that Charles would make.

So don't expect a new engine, this is it, and although it is less than perfect, it is still unique in how it succeeds in creating incredible combat stories.

So many minutes of nail-biting watching the turn go by, will that missile hit or miss, will they make it into cover?

I've been curious the government contracting impact on small developers. I'm not sure how many developers work at Battlefront but if the MoD/DoD says "We need this feature", and there's a guaranteed payback through the contract, then Battlefront is going to prioritize that. I can picture a few Lt. Col's deciding they absolutely need something and are willing to pay $50k to get it. That's 900+ sales worth of SF2 base that Battlefront doesn't have to sell. Ideally that feature those colonels need applies to the civilian world and we get some direct benefit, but likely it's a statistical integration or an API to link to Booz-Hamilton or some poo poo. Otherwise we have to hope that the developers are willing to shift assets to keep the consumer version up to date and not just bank on past innovations.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Flavius Aetass posted:

Any news on any good ancient era games since Field of Glory: Empires?

This is just my hobbyhorse, but the guy who did Hannibal: R&C has been occasionally posting screenshots of his next game for years now, it's the ancients game I'm looking forward to most.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I unlocked the steam engine in derail valley and suddenly this train sim has become a survival horror game

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I’ve been playing a bit of “strategic mind” and think it plays pretty decent, having multi hex ranges for a few different units makes things pretty interesting.

The English voice acting is just awful though, I understand it’s a few of the devs who are obviously not native english speakers but it would honestly be better if it was just text.

Just listening to a flat, emotionless Hitler justify the invasion of Poland over here.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
if i'm paying grognard prices i expect an emotional hitler

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Epic Mod for Cold Waters is getting drat good

I'm about to start up a fresh '84 NATO campaign, my Alfa SSN campaign hit a wall

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

Epic Mod for Cold Waters is getting drat good

I'm about to start up a fresh '84 NATO campaign, my Alfa SSN campaign hit a wall

I love playing a Kirov in that, but the engagement ranges are far too short

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Eight player Case Yellow is complete!

French, Belgians and Dutch fought to the very end! The British sadly ran away to the coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UqLyt7P5ww

Imgur album with all the stats
https://imgur.com/a/VeuY5qa

I'm sure everyone will be happy to write up some thoughts from the game so i'll leave them to do that.

Special shout out to me in 6th army for losing all my tanks, me and the French had a 3 day battle around Namur which ended out with about 450 lost on each side. :argh:

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 22, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Credit to the Belgians for making my German 4th Army bleed for every inch around Antwerp -- though, ultimately, the game ended up being decided elsewhere.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

HannibalBarca posted:

Credit to the Belgians for making my German 4th Army bleed for every inch around Antwerp -- though, ultimately, the game ended up being decided elsewhere.
Yeah, the Antwerp fight was a bloody one. German infantry is better than the Belgians overall, but I had enough artillery there to make it costly for you. Really wish I had some mobile units because there would have been some juicy targets if I had any sort of attacking punching power.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Assuming you had the setting to take screenies at the end of each turn, you should make an mp4 of that!

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

if i'm paying grognard prices i expect an emotional hitler

I don't post in this thread very often but I fully support this quote as new thread title.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Strategically I think one way the Allies can win in Case Yellow is if the Allied can cut off the German spearhead after they overextend from their infantry. To that end I reorganized the entire French armor force and planned to stage them at Namur to be in position to attack north once the German try to encircle Brussels. Though I realize at this far forward this window is going to be pretty small, so I fully expect to just do some local attack out of Namur then fallback to wait for the next opportunity. Also I wanted to hold Namur to increase the rate Belgium can get new divisions and keep them in the fight for as long as possible.

At turn 3 German vanguard units had already arrived on the outskirt of Namur, but they were outnumbered locally and way out of position so I immediately attacked. On turn 4 German mobile formation starts to arrive in force but we also spotted multiple panzer units heading to Brussels so I knew I have local numerical advantage and the German counterattack wasn't very effective, leaving them exposed to massive amount of French armor, and with some good command cards in hand I committed to another turn of battle.

At this point I am taking heavy attrition from air so I wanted to pull back, but due to the sheer amount of tanks I have, around half of French armor units are still able to attack. The first attack was so successful, pushing German units into overstacking and into position for 4 sides concentric attack I decided to press on to further cripple more units, thinking maybe it's possible to weaken German mobile formations enough to the point where they become combat ineffective.

After three turns of heavy fighting I wanted to retreat and reform my armor to actually execute the original plan of cutting off the German exploitation somewhere down the line, but the defense at Namur was way weaker than I expected, basically giving way immediately under German air support. German momentum was not slowed at all so I had to commit all armor forces to prevent everything from simply getting overrun instead of hiding and waiting for German mobile units to outpace their infantry. I planned to counterattack out of every patch of rough terrain and town while falling back but the sheer amount of damage the German air do is too much. Each bombing strike is wiping out half a regiment, after a few turns of fighting retreat there's barely a single intact unit left just from airstrike alone.

By now the defense line is breached at multiple points, with all armor forces already fighting and just barely holding on there's no reserve left to counterattack so all the lines will just get rolled up if Allied forces don't start evacuating immediately, and once we start falling back there's no stopping because the German is faster than we can flee and the terrain only gets worse from then on.

In the Ardennes the terrain is perfect for defensive action so I planned to fight for every inch of the ground there. The only weakness is the south end where in certain section of the river line there's no rough terrain (there's some forts there, but turns out fort can get one shot by level bomber). During the battle around Namur, I strategic transferred a few armor to the south end of the Meuse, planning to hide them and have them become ready just when the German crosses the river and throw them back with heavy losses. Unfortunately, I overestimated the tank brigade's capability. They are not as good as the DCR and DLM (what with not having divisional bonus already causing them to lose out on 30% combat bonus) and the counter attack failed. This basically unhinged the entire defense line as my well dug-in units that were in rough terrain behind a river now has to fallback to prevent encirclement and I hit a bunch of C&C problem multiple turns in a roll in this sector, leaving many units unable to retreat and took heavy losses.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 23, 2020

Banditu
Mar 16, 2009
It was a fun game thanks to everyone.

New Unity of Command 2 DLC announced german campaign from 1939 to 1941:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1322670/Unity_of_Command_II__Blitzkrieg/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I was a relative inexperienced player in terms of DC, and I think the game taught me a lot, so thanks to everyone fpr the opportunity. In terms of my thoughts playing as Belgians:

Belgians are forced by their force composition to be an extremely defensive army, with little scope to actually perform attacks during the course of the campaign. Their best units (Chasseur de Ardennes) are still infantry, and although they have a few tanks mixed into their infantry regiments, they don't have any dedicated mobile units apart from some cyclists, so their punching power isn't great and they can't really react to penetrations by the Germans. The Belgian air force is modest, but they have decent artillery and enough of it to pose a threat.

My initial idea for the setup is that I would not even really attempt to defend the Albert Canal/Meuse bulge. From prior experience with other games centred around Case Yellow (mostly boardgames), although it is possible to defend the bulge for a couple of days, eventually the germans will break through, and the slow speed of the Belgians will mean that it will be relatively easy to pocket them if they deploy at forward positions. Therefore my planned defensive line was pre-pulled back to the river line near Antwerp/Brussels, with some engineers and garrisons deployed forward to blow bridges and hold up the germans at least a little bit. There was, however, the question of what to do with the K-W line of fortifications. The plus of the K-W line is that it has marshy ground directly behind the river, making it a lot easier to defend river crossing when compared to the open terrain of the line I chose. On the other hand, the K-W has a huge gap in the south that is just open terrain: it doesn't have a direct rail line, but it would still allow the German mobile units to swoop around and basically flank the K-W line at will. In the end, I decided to keep some garrisons on the K-W line to slow the germans, but they didn't do anything and got pocketed pretty easily, which was a mistake.

The first contact on my line was on the line of forts south of Antwerp: I thought they would hold stronger than they did, but it didn't take much more than a day for the Germans to push through. I decided to retreat to the river and Antwerp: as for Brussels, miscommunication made me think that the French/BEF forces were going to defend Brussels, and thus I pulled most of my units out and marched them north to prevent any sort of breakthrough around Antwerp, while trying to pull back the garrisons that were on the K-W line.

Most of my successes were around Antwerp: large artillery concentrations in the city allowed me to absolutely pound the germans that were in the open south of the city, and I managed even some attacks on overextended germans. The going was slow for the Germans and I was able to hold pretty well. Unfortunately, my infantry, with its lack of AT and being out in the open and thus easily within the reach of the luftwaffe, couldn't stop the germans from crossing the river between Antwerp and Brussels, and once that crossing was made, the fate of Brussels was sealed. The BEF/French left Brussels (which is understandable), but I didn't have enough time to really make a defense of the city possible, and I knew that I would be rolling surrender if both Antwerp and Brussels were gone, so I thought my days were numbered.

Anyway, it was fun, thanks for the game everyone!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Gif of the match has arrived.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I for my part was shocked at how totally ineffective the BEF infantry was in the face of Panzer divisions. Not able to stand its ground, not able to counter attack even with artillery and air preparation.

I did not achieve anything with the 2 BEF armoured divisions. They marched North to be a reserve for Antwerp and then marched South and got caught up in the collapse of Belgium. Having to move at walking pace and not having any rail cap left over meant they were never in the right place at the right time. In hindsight I would have left them both in a reserve posture at the far South end of my line, committing to the bet that the German main thrust would come through at the BEF-France juncture. I have no idea whether using them to counter attack German Spearheads actually results in success, although there were a couple of combats in this game where they manage to block a thrust straight at them.

I was able to maintain a force-in-being for the most part and shuffle backwards, but it does feel like the BEF's role in this scenario is to maintain a coherent line while giving ground, as opposed to being able to actually blunt or stop a German advance. Maintaining a force in being is important because in DC not being able to maintain a coherent line results in rapid disaster, but it's on France that all the Allies' hopes have to rest.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

I for my part was shocked at how totally ineffective the BEF infantry was in the face of Panzer divisions. Not able to stand its ground, not able to counter attack even with artillery and air preparation.

Welcome to infantry in 1940. No one was really prepared to defend against large scale armored operations at the beginning of the war.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Banditu posted:

It was a fun game thanks to everyone.

New Unity of Command 2 DLC announced german campaign from 1939 to 1941:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1322670/Unity_of_Command_II__Blitzkrieg/

Bit of a shame they're going with the bog standard 39-41 campaigns - I would have liked to see an expansion of the North African campaign - but looking forward to it nonetheless.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Bit of a shame they're going with the bog standard 39-41 campaigns - I would have liked to see an expansion of the North African campaign - but looking forward to it nonetheless.

I wonder if there are any campaigns in the eastern theatre which would work well with the UoC engine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

pointsofdata posted:

I wonder if there are any campaigns in the eastern theatre which would work well with the UoC engine.

Dunno if this is :thejoke: but Unity of Command 1 is entirely USSR vs Germany, specifically around Stalingrad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gort posted:

Dunno if this is :thejoke: but Unity of Command 1 is entirely USSR vs Germany, specifically around Stalingrad

sorry meant far east. although the winter war might be interesting!b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Soviet invasion of Manchuria might be a good one for UoC. Generally UoC2 was all about being given ambitious timeframes to capture far-off objectives.