Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there something going on with Cooler Master's QC nowadays? My friend has a cooler master PSU that died on her and she is struggling to get a rma from Cooler Master. Cooler Master only take tickets and they haven't answered her in over a month. I don't want my personal bias to get in the way since I never had any luck with Cooler Master cases, fans and coolers.

I am half tempted to tell her to just get a Corsair or EVGA PSU because she just went through the same thing a few weeks ago with Thermaltake (ToughRAM) and I already know their products are pretty trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there something going on with Cooler Master's QC nowadays? My friend has a cooler master PSU that died on her and she is struggling to get a rma from Cooler Master. Cooler Master only take tickets and they haven't answered her in over a month. I don't want my personal bias to get in the way since I never had any luck with Cooler Master cases, fans and coolers.

I am half tempted to tell her to just get a Corsair or EVGA PSU because she just went through the same thing a few weeks ago with Thermaltake (ToughRAM) and I already know their products are pretty trash.

I would throw Seasonic in there too.

E: as a good PSU option.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 11, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gearman posted:

Thanks! I am planning to go all black/white. Here's a progress shot with the motherboard, AIO, and top case fan in. I still need to put in two fans on the bottom, the PSU, the extra SSD, and run all the cables. At this rate, I'll probably be able to order a 3080 and have it arrive before I'm done.

drat dude.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Ugh that sucks, but has she actually sent the thing back or just waiting on authorization to RMA? If the second, could just try opening a new ticket.

At the moment I bet RMA support is worse across the board than normal, but that means the second tier brands like CM and thermaltake may now be actively lovely rather than just mediocre. Quality of support is one reason to go with a corsair or EVGA though. A lot of the time I don't put huge value on it personally, but I've also been pretty lucky with things not needing warranty RMA. I've only had like 2 things ever that needed warranty service, and one I fixed myself rather than send back.

sean10mm posted:

I would throw Seasonic in there too.

Are they a pain with RMAs? I've never had a seasonic PSU die inside warranty period yet.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Since I'm busy returning poo poo, I'm thinking of returning the H500M I got, mostly because the PSU is so awkward to access and I'd like a bit more room to gently caress around with cable management anyway.

Any recommendations for a better case? Good airflow, good cable management, good access to everything including the PSU cables. And I have 3 SSDs now plus an HDD so there has to be room for those + extra. And some USB ports on the front. At least 4 (plus 1 USB-C), or more.

Also room for a 3080 when they come out.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

can I just throw a :swoon: in here

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

drat dude.

Ugh that sucks, but has she actually sent the thing back or just waiting on authorization to RMA? If the second, could just try opening a new ticket.

At the moment I bet RMA support is worse across the board than normal, but that means the second tier brands like CM and thermaltake may now be actively lovely rather than just mediocre. Quality of support is one reason to go with a corsair or EVGA though. A lot of the time I don't put huge value on it personally, but I've also been pretty lucky with things not needing warranty RMA. I've only had like 2 things ever that needed warranty service, and one I fixed myself rather than send back.

Are they a pain with RMAs? I've never had a seasonic PSU die inside warranty period yet.

No I meant Seasonic was a good alternative.

e:

uXs posted:

Since I'm busy returning poo poo, I'm thinking of returning the H500M I got, mostly because the PSU is so awkward to access and I'd like a bit more room to gently caress around with cable management anyway.

Any recommendations for a better case? Good airflow, good cable management, good access to everything including the PSU cables. And I have 3 SSDs now plus an HDD so there has to be room for those + extra. And some USB ports on the front. At least 4 (plus 1 USB-C), or more.

Meshify S2?

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-s2/black/

Plus I mean you can stick SATA SSDs literally anywhere you want in any case anyway.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 11, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

sean10mm posted:

No I meant Seasonic was a good alternative.

e:

Meshify S2?

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-s2/black/

Plus I mean you can stick SATA SSDs literally anywhere you want in any case anyway.

Haha, I read your 'Seasonic' post as the opposite too and was getting nervous already.

Meshify S2 only has 2 normal USB ports? I literally have 3 of the ports in my current case occupied already so unless there's an easy way to increase that number it's a no go.

(edit: I guess you're right about the SATA ports. Plus it's all about M2 slots now anyway I guess.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

uXs posted:

Haha, I read your 'Seasonic' post as the opposite too and was getting nervous already.

Meshify S2 only has 2 normal USB ports? I literally have 3 of the ports in my current case occupied already so unless there's an easy way to increase that number it's a no go.

(edit: I guess you're right about the SATA ports. Plus it's all about M2 slots now anyway I guess.)

USB hub or the ports on your motherboard?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

uXs posted:

Did you ever look into the gigabyte issue with the bios renaming that I mentioned earlier? That issue was super similar to yours.

I agree with returning everything you can still that’s giving you issues. Just start as fresh as you can at this point, it’ll make life easier than narrowing down if you can wait for the exchange parts, or give you options you wish you had.

For a case, I think you need to consider more specifics.

Do you was a mid tower, full, or something weird? With those drives I assume not matx but there are a few that can fit that.

Do you care at all about noise or do you just want pure airflow? If you want any noise elimination at all you’re gonna compromise at least a little on airflow.

I’m a huge fan of fractals stuff, for all the reasons you listed. Specifically their meshify line has great airflow.

If airflow is your only concern, I’d start here

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3604-best-gaming-pc-cases-for-airflow-in-2020-right-now

These guys do a genuinely insane level of temp and airflow testing, and that link has not just cases for all budget types, but choices within those budget lines.

That being said. The define 7 from fractal is neat in that you can open the front panel and remote the front filter to basically make it an airflow case, then swing the door closed when you don’t need airflow. It’s part of the reason I ended up picking it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Fwiw I just built a PC using the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh and am extremely happy with the case airflow and construction.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I am the orange SATA port.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

the_enduser posted:

I am the orange SATA port.

Nothing a little black nail polish won’t fix

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm at peace with it. A little spot of color is fine with me,and people know I'm not totally cheating with color adjustment in the photos :)

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

lol yeah it looks good otherwise, its just funny with all that aesthetics they decided to just leave it orange instead of white to differentiate it. :psyduck:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kingnothing posted:

Did you ever look into the gigabyte issue with the bios renaming that I mentioned earlier? That issue was super similar to yours.

I agree with returning everything you can still that’s giving you issues. Just start as fresh as you can at this point, it’ll make life easier than narrowing down if you can wait for the exchange parts, or give you options you wish you had.

Not really? I flashed the bios this morning (with version 22, I assume the 30a was a beta version so I'm avoiding that now), been working fine the entire day now. I'll do a memtest with the memory at XMP speeds tonight. I'll check your previous post after I make this one.

edit: checked it, doesn't seem relevant. I haven't really had issues flashing the bios or making the bios version stick. I could still be wrong obviously but my instinct screams at me that this is not it.

As for returning, yeah. I think I can still return the case today, that's why I'm asking for options now.

For the other stuff, I still have some time. PSU, CPU, and RAM I have until the 27th, the 1st motherboard has been returned and accepted today, and for the 2nd motherboard I now have until the 22nd.

Problem is, what is it that is giving me issues? Should I just return everything? Just some things? And get what instead?

Kingnothing posted:

For a case, I think you need to consider more specifics.

Do you was a mid tower, full, or something weird? With those drives I assume not matx but there are a few that can fit that.

Do you care at all about noise or do you just want pure airflow? If you want any noise elimination at all you’re gonna compromise at least a little on airflow.

I’m a huge fan of fractals stuff, for all the reasons you listed. Specifically their meshify line has great airflow.

If airflow is your only concern, I’d start here

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3604-best-gaming-pc-cases-for-airflow-in-2020-right-now

These guys do a genuinely insane level of temp and airflow testing, and that link has not just cases for all budget types, but choices within those budget lines.

That being said. The define 7 from fractal is neat in that you can open the front panel and remote the front filter to basically make it an airflow case, then swing the door closed when you don’t need airflow. It’s part of the reason I ended up picking it.

I think a mid tower is enough. H500M is mid, right? I like the size, sure.

I want enough airflow that the fans don't have to go crazy. Closing it during normal operation and opening it for games sounds reasonable. Not sure if I agree with removing the air filter but I presume that's optional?

uXs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 11, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I get to figure out why my PC has randomly shut down 2x today. I think I have enough power. I may also want to run my fans a bit higher maybe as my mobo might be overheating but I've been keeping an eye on it and it fluctuates between 50°c and 68°C at high times.

Facts:
Ryzen R5 3600, Auto OC to 4.3 maximum (Ryzen master says it's at around 4.0 when under full load) I might turn this down to 4.2
Asus strix B450 gaming
Ballistix 3600 8x2 RGB sticks (set to 3600 in the bios)
EVGA 1070 8GB (on 8x channel will be moving to 16x at some point)
4 RGB PWM fans 2 front one top one back +1 $25 CPU cooler tower w/ fan
Corsair 650w PSU (80+ bronze, box says 648 watt to 12v Rail)

1 SSD (system), 1 NVME (gaming) 1 Platter drive

PCPP gives me an estimated wattage of 380w, so I shoudl be good there unless the PSU is overheating for some reason..

The only thing I've done is switch Asus Aurora to color changing fans based on CPU temp.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So I'm thinking of building this from PC Partpicker :canada::

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: *ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: *Team GX2 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: *Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

This is for gaming and I have a 1060 from a friend that I will use in the short term, hoping to upgrade to 3070 when it becomes available in Canada (or a 2070/2080 if the price drops down enough). Anything I should watch out for? This is the first computer I've ever built.

I have a pretty generic Dell Monitor, 1080p, 60hz, but I'm open to upgrading that as well. I also need wifi because I can't really run a cord to the room where this will be used, I'm thinking of getting a PCI slot because a motherboard with integrated wifi seems hard to find/expensive in Canada.

Also my budget without the monitor is about 1500 CAD. The above comes out to 850+500 for the 3070 = 1350

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 11, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

uXs posted:

Not really? I flashed the bios this morning (with version 22, I assume the 30a was a beta version so I'm avoiding that now), been working fine the entire day now. I'll do a memtest with the memory at XMP speeds tonight. I'll check your previous post after I make this one.

edit: checked it, doesn't seem relevant. I haven't really had issues flashing the bios or making the bios version stick. I could still be wrong obviously but my instinct screams at me that this is not it.

As for returning, yeah. I think I can still return the case today, that's why I'm asking for options now.

For the other stuff, I still have some time. PSU, CPU, and RAM I have until the 27th, the 1st motherboard has been returned and accepted today, and for the 2nd motherboard I now have until the 22nd.

Problem is, what is it that is giving me issues? Should I just return everything? Just some things? And get what instead?

I think a mid tower is enough. H500M is mid, right? I like the size, sure.

I want enough airflow that the fans don't have to go crazy. Closing it during normal operation and opening it for games sounds reasonable. Not sure if I agree with removing the air filter but I presume that's optional?

Yeah removing the filter is optional and will give a bunch of extra airflow if you feel like you need it.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3558-fractal-define-7-case-review

They’re also on sale at Newegg right now (windowless) @$139.99 + 12.99 shipping.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kingnothing posted:

Yeah removing the filter is optional and will give a bunch of extra airflow if you feel like you need it.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3558-fractal-define-7-case-review

They’re also on sale at Newegg right now (windowless) @$139.99 + 12.99 shipping.

Can't buy on Newegg, they seem to only ship to Turkey and the UK in Europe.

I've had another recommendation for a define, but the R6. Any reason you recommend the 7?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

uXs posted:

Can't buy on Newegg, they seem to only ship to Turkey and the UK in Europe.

I've had another recommendation for a define, but the R6. Any reason you recommend the 7?

The 7 is the new version of the R6. It has a lot of the same features and is kinda similar (and pretty nice) but the 7 beats it in almost every place.

If you’re considering the 7, I’d use this site to find a retailer in your country that may have it.

https://www.fractal-design.com/where-to-buy/?fwp_continent=europe

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gearman posted:

I'm at peace with it. A little spot of color is fine with me,and people know I'm not totally cheating with color adjustment in the photos :)

Legit thought to myself “why are they posting B&W art shots” til I noticed the orange port.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Has anyone here matched a Fractal r7 with an Arctic freezer 2 and if so how did you decide to mount it in the case? I'm leaving heavily in that direction right now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Has anyone here matched a Fractal r7 with an Arctic freezer 2 and if so how did you decide to mount it in the case? I'm leaving heavily in that direction right now.

Why liquid?

("Because it's rad" is an acceptable response:v:)

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I may have bought two parts that don't go together but I want to doublecheck to make sure I'm not missing anything. I have an MSI B365M Pro VDH motherboard and this MS30 SSD. The SSD uses the SATA type of M.2 port and it sure looks to me like the motherboard only has the PCIe type of M.2. But on the motherboard's website under "detail", it says that the motherboard supports SATA in the M.2 port with the caveat that the SATA 1 connector won't be available with a SATA SSD in the M.2. I don't understand and I want to ask somebody for advice before I try jamming things into things or returning stuff and buying replacements. Is anyone familiar with this kind of situation?

Edit: Never mind, it works. Just had to try it and it's fine.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 12, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think you'll be fine. Either they share circuitry or somehow when you plug the ssd on it'll block the sata1, which would be weird I only ever see them pointing out or forward not back towards that port. It shouldn't matter, just use the other SATA plugs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gohuskies posted:

I may have bought two parts that don't go together but I want to doublecheck to make sure I'm not missing anything. I have an MSI B365M Pro VDH motherboard and this MS30 SSD. The SSD uses the SATA type of M.2 port and it sure looks to me like the motherboard only has the PCIe type of M.2. But on the motherboard's website under "detail", it says that the motherboard supports SATA in the M.2 port with the caveat that the SATA 1 connector won't be available with a SATA SSD in the M.2. I don't understand and I want to ask somebody for advice before I try jamming things into things or returning stuff and buying replacements. Is anyone familiar with this kind of situation?

MSI website says

quote:

1 x M.2 slot (Key M)
Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
Supports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready2

The SATA1 connector will be unavailable when an M.2 SATA SSD module has been installed in the M.2_1 slot.

But also importantly the M.2 spec is at least smart enough that you can't destroy something by plugging it into a slot. PCIe and Sata variants are wired up in ways that are at least electrically safe, and there are also keys to help avoid incompatible card in wrong socket.

edit for prev question:

Alchenar posted:

On the closed-front cases I'd default with top-mounting the radiator as exhaust unless there are overriding reasons. Clearance, or if you have reasons to keep the top cover on.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 12, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Edit: Never mind, it works. Just had to try it and it's fine.

I know you have the answer, but they share the same slot so it doesn’t matter.

I asked this question earlier, and it seems the answer is if you use a SATA M.2, it eats one of your sata lanes and SATA_1 for non- M2 shuts off. If you use PCI M2, it has its own lane.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
jfc I love microcenter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($386.99 @ Newegg) $500 @ Microcenter w/ motherboard
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg) out of stock @ Microcenter
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Amazon) saves 75 bucks bundled with the CPU :O
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H) out of stock online, 160 @ Microcenter
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Newegg)[/s] 180@ Microcenter (maybe $5 discount!)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $90 @ Microcenter
Power Supply: Corsair 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ Corsair)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing) 150 @ M$. gently caress it, I'm not trusting online resellers. someone selling a key for :20bux: lol
Total: $1429.94 $1355

Can I just also say how much I love Lian Li products? They've got some turds but when they make a gem, it is a GEM. I can't wait to buy it and check it out.

Note the lack of GPU - will see if I can get my hands on an 3080. If not, I'll throw in my current 1070 and let it ride until I can grab a 3080. So that'll put it right at 2k.
Bringing over from current computer: 1 TB 970 EVO (...for CoD :v: ), spinning HDD, monitor, mouse, keyboard, monitor, blah blah blah.

Possible savings:
-130 from 3800XT -> 3600
-35 use stock cooler
-50 cheaper motherboard, just ballpark-ing
-50 cheaper ram, just ballpark-ing
-30 cheaper case, not going to get much cheaper than that.
-100 cheaper PSU, ballpark-ing but don't gently caress around with PSUs. Also, this seems to be the most difficult component to source at the moment. Out of stock almost everywhere!
-90 smaller SSD but honestly, some games are getting huge these days so 1 TB almost seems mandatory.
(-150 Linux :v:)

So budget/non-COVID price: 870 + 700 which I just looked at for shits and giggles to see how much money I'm wasting. Turns out it's almost enough for a 3070!

Any comments from anyone?

vvv you're right and I was going to make a post defending my decision but I'm going to read more about PSUs on the internet written by some nerds who really like PSUs, apparently.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 12, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

jfc I love microcenter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($386.99 @ Newegg) $500 @ Microcenter w/ motherboard
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg) out of stock @ Microcenter
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($187.99 @ Amazon) saves 75 bucks bundled with the CPU :O
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H) out of stock online, 160 @ Microcenter
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Newegg)[/s] 180@ Microcenter (maybe $5 discount!)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $90 @ Microcenter
Power Supply: Corsair 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ Corsair)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing) 150 @ M$. gently caress it, I'm not trusting online resellers. someone selling a key for :20bux: lol
Total: $1429.94 $1355

Can I just also say how much I love Lian Li products? They've got some turds but when they make a gem, it is a GEM. I can't wait to buy it and check it out.

Note the lack of GPU - will see if I can get my hands on an 3080. If not, I'll throw in my current 1070 and let it ride until I can grab a 3080. So that'll put it right at 2k.
Bringing over from current computer: 1 TB 970 EVO (...for CoD :v: ), spinning HDD, monitor, mouse, keyboard, monitor, blah blah blah.

Possible savings:
-130 from 3800XT -> 3600
-35 use stock cooler
-50 cheaper motherboard, just ballpark-ing
-50 cheaper ram, just ballpark-ing
-30 cheaper case, not going to get much cheaper than that.
-100 cheaper PSU, ballpark-ing but don't gently caress around with PSUs. Also, this seems to be the most difficult component to source at the moment. Out of stock almost everywhere!
-90 smaller SSD but honestly, some games are getting huge these days so 1 TB almost seems mandatory.
(-150 Linux :v:)

So budget/non-COVID price: 870 + 700 which I just looked at for shits and giggles to see how much money I'm wasting. Turns out it's almost enough for a 3070!

Any comments from anyone?

That PSU seems huge for what you have. You could probably shave $100+ just on that

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
:words:
I mean, look at these nerds: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eL0893Ramlwk6E3s3uSvH1_juom7SMG5SCNzP2Uov8w/edit#gid=1529225916
(That is definitely my poo poo.)

Looking at the reviews, I think I've got these realistic choices:

(I threw out RM line because I am still salty about Taiwanese capacitors)
RMx 850W. Pro: 145, Con: not FDB fan, Gold rating, slightly worse performance (alt: 750W 135, 1000W 205)
HX 1000W. Pro: FDB fan, plat rating, slightly better performance. Con: 205 bucks (alt: 750W 155, 850W 185)

Note that the HX is already 40 bucks cheaper than what I linked because I didn't realize the HXi has some extra bits for monitoring and tbh I do not need to monitor my PSU performance.

Prices are jacked right now, though, and it's hard to find because a lot of places are out of stock. So I might have to just have to go with what I can find that's at a reasonable price. But thanks for the reality check and prompting me to look into it a little more. ... I should probably look at not-Corsair. /sigh

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 12, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

:words:
I mean, look at these nerds: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eL0893Ramlwk6E3s3uSvH1_juom7SMG5SCNzP2Uov8w/edit#gid=1529225916
(That is definitely my poo poo.)

Looking at the reviews, I think I've got these realistic choices:

(I threw out RM line because I am still salty about Taiwanese capacitors)
RMx 850W. Pro: 145, Con: not FDB fan, Gold rating, slightly worse performance (alt: 750W 135, 1000W 205)
HX 1000W. Pro: FDB fan, plat rating, slightly better performance. Con: 205 bucks (alt: 750W 155, 850W 185)

Note that the HX is already 40 bucks cheaper than what I linked because I didn't realize the HXi has some extra bits for monitoring and tbh I do not need to monitor my PSU performance.

Prices are jacked right now, though, and it's hard to find because a lot of places are out of stock. So I might have to just have to go with what I can find that's at a reasonable price. But thanks for the reality check.

This was 4 days ago

https://reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/iom6bu/restock_seasonic_px850_platinum_psu_amazon_15540/

Follow r/buildapcsales and set an IFTTT alert or something for PSU. Something reasonably priced from a decent company will pop up in the next few days and you’ll be able to grab it if you act quick enough. Unless you’re dead set on Corsair.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006

This is in stock now. Not platinum but Superflower is an OEM that’s highly rated, this has a great price, and the LTT nerds like this PSU. With your build I don’t necessarily see why you’d need to go absolutely crazy with the PSU.

Edit: 850w is $10 more

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Prices are jacked right now, though, and it's hard to find because a lot of places are out of stock. So I might have to just have to go with what I can find that's at a reasonable price. But thanks for the reality check and prompting me to look into it a little more. ... I should probably look at not-Corsair. /sigh

Yeah those corsairs are all going for 200-300+ on amazon and many ship after the new GPUs hit. The fact the 3080 recommends 750 watts made the bad PSU problem worse.

Since prices are hosed I searched higher then even platinum and found the EVGA 850 T2 Titanium for $280 last week on amazon. (They still have it for $280)

Its way too much to pay for a PSU, but I really wanted modular + great rating + in stock + arrives well before the 3080.

Me before the pandemic would be so confused.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 12, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Why liquid?

("Because it's rad" is an acceptable response:v:)

Because its rad. This is going to be a fun build where I intend to be silly with my money as long as I'm not being a loving idiot with my money.

Keith - what if I wanted to keep the top enclosed *for aesthetics*.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm looking for a case to start my build and I've heard good things about the Meshify C. What else should I be considering for a id-size case? I like it's mesh design, it's got good circulation which is important for me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

literally this big posted:

I'm looking for a case to start my build and I've heard good things about the Meshify C. What else should I be considering for a id-size case? I like it's mesh design, it's got good circulation which is important for me.

The Meshify C is pretty much the go-to suggestion for cases around here, just add 2 1400mm fans in front for good circulation. I will say it's only flaws are that its cable management isn't that great, and the front panel is a bitch to get off.

Also, an underrated feature is that Fractal Design sells colored front panels that you can mix and match for some cool color combos without relying on RGB LEDs.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kingnothing posted:

This was 4 days ago

https://reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/iom6bu/restock_seasonic_px850_platinum_psu_amazon_15540/

Follow r/buildapcsales and set an IFTTT alert or something for PSU. Something reasonably priced from a decent company will pop up in the next few days and you’ll be able to grab it if you act quick enough. Unless you’re dead set on Corsair.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006

This is in stock now. Not platinum but Superflower is an OEM that’s highly rated, this has a great price, and the LTT nerds like this PSU. With your build I don’t necessarily see why you’d need to go absolutely crazy with the PSU.

Edit: 850w is $10 more

I closed my eyes and bought it.

Because at the end of the day, gently caress it, it'll be fine. Thanks very much!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Meshify C is pretty much the go-to suggestion for cases around here, just add 2 1400mm fans in front for good circulation. I will say it's only flaws are that its cable management isn't that great, and the front panel is a bitch to get off.

Also, an underrated feature is that Fractal Design sells colored front panels that you can mix and match for some cool color combos without relying on RGB LEDs.

Great! It's practical design really stood out to me.

What's a good mid-sized motherboard to build off of? Total PC budget is around $1500.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I closed my eyes and bought it.

Because at the end of the day, gently caress it, it'll be fine. Thanks very much!

It’s also the one I bought so at least you know if it sucks I’m in the same lovely boat :confuoot:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
hi5 lovely psu buddies!

Alright, thanks thread! I'll be back in a few years for my next build :D You guys are great (lots of good info in the last few pages, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

uXs posted:

Update for overnight memtest at XMP speeds: 0 errors.