Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I finally got my hands on Rise of Red Skull. I spent today just building the decks and pitting them against Klaw solo to see how they'd fair before I challenge the new villains with my friend on Friday. My thoughts on the new heroes so far is:

Spider-Woman: Incredible. She is super fun to play. I built an Aggression/Protection deck that's all about aggressive defense and attacking. Thanks to her cost reducers and a Martial Training, I can play drop kick for free and grab a card again and the villain is stunned. Perfection. She feels super fun and breezy to play. Klaw solo was no match for her and I'll probably try again on Expert Mode. She lived up to my hype.

Hawkeye: Thor 2.0, I was actually kind of excited when I saw his kit, but putting into practice I realized how lovely it is. You need time to build him up and by the time I have him decently built up so much threat and constant minions means it feels like I'm just treading water the entire game before I finally go under. Hawkeye I think will shine in multiplayer where you can have someone acting as a decent threat removal buffer to help you get your gear into play, but he only has 2 cards in his kit that reduce threat and his built in thwart is 1 which means using him for that is pretty much always a wasted turn. I want to like him, his arrow mechanic is neat and the arrows themselves are good, but that setup for it just gives Klaw too much time to get going. I'm still actively tweaking the deck to see what is helping (I took out the give Ally a tough card because I found it I was never using it, but I'm wavering because that could be good for someone like Rhino).

Right now Hawkeye is on my "Neat idea, but takes way too much effort to make into a decent hero" I kinda want to swap out his leadership with Justice but all my Justice allies are in my Black widow deck and I don't wanna share between the two as that's annoying.

Spider-Woman score: A+
Hawkeye score: C+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hawk Guy is a team hero, that’s why he’s been around for 40 years but only had one decent solo book.

I was using a variant Kate bishop who has the ability to put cards back in peoples decks, teaming with spider woman, and recycling pheromones was a very easy way to stunlock Electro in two player. There’s no way to play her anything but aggression tho, you have to be attacking every turn to activate her bow. So we’ll see how that goes, shifting spider woman to protection/leadership to play a whole butt load of avengers.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Does rise of the red skull come with spacers/ inserts to put into the main box?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mine didn't.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

nope! and the box is kiiinda useless. no real insert to speak of.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The box is also randomly very tall. I feel like they could have easily just used the same dimensions as the LOTR deluxe expansions on this, given how much dead air there is inside the package.

Also speaking of LOTR, after like a year I've finally been able to complete my Against the Shadow cycle. Got extremely lucky about a month ago when both Steward's Fear and Assault on Osgiliath came in stock (at a single copy each... wtf), and just now found Druadan Forest on eBay and snapped it up.

I now have all of Shadows over Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf, and Against the Shadow + the LOTR saga expansions finished, sleeved, and sorted. Sorta tempted to continue collecting, but The Ringmaker cycle seems to have similar stock issues with about half of the APs.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Carteret posted:

nope! and the box is kiiinda useless. no real insert to speak of.

It's so weird since the main box has a pretty okay way to sort cards if it had any inserts at all

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lots of discussion about the new heroes in Rise of the Red Skull, but how do the villains fair? I've been itching for some new conflict to throw decks at.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

SettingSun posted:

Lots of discussion about the new heroes in Rise of the Red Skull, but how do the villains fair? I've been itching for some new conflict to throw decks at.

They are good. Between these and the recently leaked Kang set coming in October, pretty much all the gaps in difficulty have been filled. You'll have Rhino and Crossbones on the easy end, with Zola and Kang on the difficult end.

Most of the villains in the Red Skull box don't do anything groundbreaking, but since this is still an early product, it makes sense they didn't do anything too crazy.

Crossbones is a great alternative to Rhino. He beefs himself up with weapons. Not too hard, but he supports three modular sets. So you can customize him more than any other villain.

Absorbing Man was a bit of a letdown, but once I used the Masters of Evil modular from the core set, I enjoyed him much more. His environment gimmick didn't fire off enough in the first few games I played with him, but throwing some nasty minions at you helped.

Taskmaster is a bummer. I was looking forward to him because of the comics, but he really could have been anyone. He does a lot of punishing the players by discarding cards and doing auto damage. It wasn't too hard, but it is annoying.

Zola kicks rear end. He is one of the hardest assholes to beat, especially when paired with Doomsday Chair. He throws beefy minions at you and buffs them in interesting ways.

I like Red Skull as a nice mid-difficulty villain. Giving him the Legions of Hydra modular from the core set makes him pretty drat tough, and in my opinion, one of the most fun challenges out there.

All in all, I think the box is worth it for the villains alone at this point. We've been stuck with the same 6 villains for a long time, and the addition of these dudes really adds a lot to the game. With Kang looking to be a brutally difficult and very interesting villain, I would say we have a great variety of villains to last us until the GotG box in February.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Drone posted:

The box is also randomly very tall. I feel like they could have easily just used the same dimensions as the LOTR deluxe expansions on this, given how much dead air there is inside the package.

Also speaking of LOTR, after like a year I've finally been able to complete my Against the Shadow cycle. Got extremely lucky about a month ago when both Steward's Fear and Assault on Osgiliath came in stock (at a single copy each... wtf), and just now found Druadan Forest on eBay and snapped it up.

I now have all of Shadows over Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf, and Against the Shadow + the LOTR saga expansions finished, sleeved, and sorted. Sorta tempted to continue collecting, but The Ringmaker cycle seems to have similar stock issues with about half of the APs.

LOTR is my #1 game, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the work that went into finding everything in stock.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If I like Arkham and Marvel, playing usually in duo in trio, would I like LOTR?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Foehammer posted:

LOTR is my #1 game, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the work that went into finding everything in stock.

The situation is even worse if you happen to be located in Not America. FFG's supply chain is bad enough in its own country, but in Europe it's atrocious, despite how successfully their stuff sells.

Despite my OCD, my LOTR collection has to be about half German version and half English version, otherwise it would have just been impossible to find everything that I've got so far.

Is there any strict need to follow the expansions/APs for LOTR chronologically? If I continue collecting, Ringmaker is my next cycle chronologically, but some of the later stuff seems more interesting to me at first glance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah finding LotR stuff here in Aus is a pain.

Drone posted:

Is there any strict need to follow the expansions/APs for LOTR chronologically? If I continue collecting, Ringmaker is my next cycle chronologically, but some of the later stuff seems more interesting to me at first glance.

Ringmaker is really good if you want Silvan stuff. Plus Galadriel, who is as strong as she should be. If you're skipping to later expacs the player cards in Vengeance of Mordor (and to a lesser extent the Haradrim) assume you've got a decent cardpool already, while Angmar Awakened and Ered Mithrin are more about building up new archetypes.

Story-wise they are all pretty self-contained, although the Haradrim cycle continues directly from the Dreamchaser stuff and sets up the Ered Mithrin cycle. It's not a huge deal though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 12, 2020

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
A year or two ago, I had a complete LotR collection with promos all organized in binders and in a Hobby Lobby case. I was getting more into Arkham and we were expecting our first child, so I listed it for sale. Most of it was out of print, so some dude from Europe paid a small fortune for it all. By 'small fortune', I calculated that he pretty much paid MSRP for my used collection, with extra for the promos and organization.

So you are sitting on your retirement accounts there, pals.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’m working on a little Marvel Champions project that might be a dead-end, but I thought I’d check with the thread and see what’s the consensus:

I want to run a Protection Spidey solo against Green Goblin, and I don’t want to straight-up net deck it. I’ve only got access to the base set and Ms Marvel and Cap.

I’m still working on different configurations, but today I swapped out Tackle for extra copies of Helicarrier and Avengers Mansion. Love Tackle, but the anti-synergy with Spider-sense and other reactive protection cards make it seem suboptimal.

Counter-punch and Preemptive Strike have seemed pretty effective, and Black Widow has gotten in the way of a couple of tricky encounters, but I’m still having trouble evaluating cards outside of “feel”.

Any suggestions?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Do you have unflappable? It’s really hard to play protection without it. Otherwise you’re using basic attack and flying web kick and your ally attacks, which in protection are really lousy.

Also, electrostatic armor and some form of retaliate, so you’re doing to sell the damage to the enemy every turn. It’s why captain America is by far the best defense hero, 2 one buck cards allow you to go two damage every Villain phase. You should probably proxy unflappable and armor if you don’t have them, or play another color. They’re that vital.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Yeah, that’s a negative on both of those.

He’s basically got no threat mitigation with my current build. Only timely allies and his treachery-cancelling cards have been able to prevent losses so far on beginner modes.

Otherwise it’s been a race to damage with counterpunch, preemptive strike, and web-kick.

Might have to scrap it until I scoop up another few packs, or might just switch it him to Justice.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Unfortunately some builds don’t work unless you have a second player or 2 hand solo it and a protection Spidey is one of those. Your thwart is gonna be so low that your going to lose out all the time. Dr.Strange works well with Protection because his stats for thwarting are decent and he can ready himself with an upgrade. Justice Spider-Man would definitely be a better attempt for solo play.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm looking at the Ant-Man and Wasp previews, and it got me wondering. They have two hero forms, with their hero card unfolding to show their giant form. How am I to sleeve a card that's meant to folded?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
There's a sleeve on Etsy iirc - phone posting but I think this is it: https://www.etsy.com/listing/669261778/custom-transformers-tcg-sliding-combiner

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ripley posted:

There's a sleeve on Etsy iirc - phone posting but I think this is it: https://www.etsy.com/listing/669261778/custom-transformers-tcg-sliding-combiner

This is a clever solution to the issue. I'll pick a few up.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Oh, that's a much better solution than just taking the card out of the sleeve when needed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
12$ for the pack, 48$ for shipping to Canada.

I think I’ll just take it out of a sleeve when I play with it.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

12$ for the pack, 48$ for shipping to Canada.

I think I’ll just take it out of a sleeve when I play with it.

It definitely is a luxury, but I noticed that there's a separate listing with less absurd international shipping: https://www.etsy.com/listing/693907876/international-customers-custom

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ripley posted:

It definitely is a luxury, but I noticed that there's a separate listing with less absurd international shipping: https://www.etsy.com/listing/693907876/international-customers-custom

All it did was convert the pricing to Canadian. 1 sleeve was like, 55$ Canadian, for 2 (for ant-man and Wasp) it was 77$

I’d be down to spend a little bit of money for a nice sleeve, but I’m topping out at 40$ max. 80$ buys me 4 Marvel Champions packs pretty much and now that I’m not working as much because I’m in school I can’t waste money like that. Cool for anybody in the US though.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Ah, that sucks. Cheaper to get one delivered to the UK bizarrely.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My FLGS got rise of red skull late, but I blasted through a single player expert campaign finally last week. I played/made this deck. It was a very good single player deck, was able to prevent the villain from acting most turns. I had a lot of fun, but will try something more traditional next time. I lost to Zola once because of an insane boost card for his only attack, and had in general more trouble with Zola because of the constant minions. Red Skull was really easy for me, but I triggered the teleport an ally in first turn and had two free turns of Iron Fist stun. I also had the plus 1 thwart/free card draw from clearing a side scheme each turn. Liked it a lot and will play through with Hawkeye soon I hope.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Speaking of LOTR, if anyone is interested I’m in the UK and would be willing to sell my collection. I have the Dwarrowdelf cycle, Against the Shadow cycle, some other stuff, and several of the saga expansions. If anyone’s interested I can assemble a full inventory.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MeinPanzer posted:

Speaking of LOTR, if anyone is interested I’m in the UK and would be willing to sell my collection. I have the Dwarrowdelf cycle, Against the Shadow cycle, some other stuff, and several of the saga expansions. If anyone’s interested I can assemble a full inventory.

If you're willing to part it out I'd be interested in seeing what that "some other stuff" is, assuming you're willing to ship to Germany.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Drone posted:

If you're willing to part it out I'd be interested in seeing what that "some other stuff" is, assuming you're willing to ship to Germany.

I don't think it'd be worth parting out, to be honest, and going through in more detail I'm pretty sure I have:

Core x2
Khazad-Dum & the Dwarrowdelf Cycle
The two Hobbit saga expansions as well as The Black Riders and The Road Darkens saga expansions
Heirs of Numenor & a bunch the Against the Shadows Cycle
The Flame of the West

I pretty much started by following he “getting started” guides out there and snapped up a bunch of the harder to find early adventure packs with pretty powerful cards when they were still reprinted regularly a few years back.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 16, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ah cool, it looks like your collection is pretty close to mind then, so I'm good. :)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

SettingSun posted:

I'm looking at the Ant-Man and Wasp previews, and it got me wondering. They have two hero forms, with their hero card unfolding to show their giant form. How am I to sleeve a card that's meant to folded?

I was going to experiment with cutting up 9-card side-loading three-ring binder sheets. I have a bunch of ultra-pro sheets that seem like they might work because two of the side loading pockets open up into each other.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Fritzler posted:

My FLGS got rise of red skull late, but I blasted through a single player expert campaign finally last week. I played/made this deck. It was a very good single player deck, was able to prevent the villain from acting most turns. I had a lot of fun, but will try something more traditional next time. I lost to Zola once because of an insane boost card for his only attack, and had in general more trouble with Zola because of the constant minions. Red Skull was really easy for me, but I triggered the teleport an ally in first turn and had two free turns of Iron Fist stun. I also had the plus 1 thwart/free card draw from clearing a side scheme each turn. Liked it a lot and will play through with Hawkeye soon I hope.
I did spider woman defense/leadership and Kate Bishop Hawkeye aggression. and stun locking is definitely the way to deal with a lot of villains, cycling pheromones back into your deck may seem cheap but there’s no way to react to the villains every turn and make much progress.

Going through again with aggression Frank Castle and justice Jessica Jones. A lot of fun, but these two are laser target in their niche. They’re so specific, we just swap characters instead of making much deck alteration.

Because she had an ability to blank a scheme, we finished absorbing man at a sprint. He never even got to trigger secondary effects.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

I did spider woman defense/leadership and Kate Bishop Hawkeye aggression. and stun locking is definitely the way to deal with a lot of villains, cycling pheromones back into your deck may seem cheap but there’s no way to react to the villains every turn and make much progress.

Going through again with aggression Frank Castle and justice Jessica Jones. A lot of fun, but these two are laser target in their niche. They’re so specific, we just swap characters instead of making much deck alteration.

Because she had an ability to blank a scheme, we finished absorbing man at a sprint. He never even got to trigger secondary effects.

You must be playing with a ton of home brew stuff because how are you cycling pheromones back into the deck? There’s no card out there right now that lets you pull events from the discard back into your deck as far as I can recall. Especially since you mention playing with Jessica Jones and Frank Castle leads me to believe this is the case.

I mean, if that’s how you play that’s cool, but then any strategy you talk about isn’t really a valid strategy because you’re using a card pool that no one else is using.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Of the four heroes listed, three of them were homebrew, which is fine and fun, but the results are always going to be wonky

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Of the four heroes listed, three of them were homebrew, which is fine and fun, but the results are always going to be wonky

I mistakenly thought Kate Bishop meant the ally and thought it was an “aggressive” deck that used her ability a lot and now that you pointed that out it clicked and that strategy with ally Kate Bishop sounds terrible so I don’t even know why I thought it, haha.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Both Hawkeye allies are leadership only.

The marvel champions LCG homebrew discord has thousands of members, And they’ve created probably 45 viable villains and easily that number of side decks.

Kate bishop’s hero power is putting one card from a player’s discard pile to the bottom of their deck. It’s pretty balanced because her alter ego power is “discard one card to get your bow from somewhere in your deck or discard”. So it only pays off if you’re surviving enough turns to get through your deck.

She also has an arrow deck similar to strange’s spells.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am reasonably confident I made the first home brew villain deck.I am a firm believer in the power and in the fun of creating new modules, villains, and heroes.

That being said, I think conversations about decks that involve homebrew require some context, and possibly even some siloing. Talking about Marvel Champions with homebrew and without homebrew are two completely different games.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

In non-homebrew content, Quicksilver article is up. I'm thinking he seems like the hero I would like most so far. Big shock for me: Multiple Man ally which looks situational but could be really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fritzler posted:

In non-homebrew content, Quicksilver article is up. I'm thinking he seems like the hero I would like most so far. Big shock for me: Multiple Man ally which looks situational but could be really great.

It looks like multiple man automatically puts into play all three copies unless this game has LotR's weird enters play / puts into play distinction. He's probably the ideal ally for tanking non-overkill hits.

I like that in the off chance multiple people are playing protection you can end up with 6+ copies of him in play.