Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There is a world out there beyond your experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm sure this will work considering SSP is loving poo poo. also includes something for curtain twitchers

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1304702108474781696?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I don't like tryhards, I don't think they're good people to work with, I don't think they have a good attitude to co workers, and I don't like the idea that they somehow have "more authentic" opinions on the nature of lovely minimum wage work.

The kind of people who get tied up in "who's working hard enough" conversations are the ones who are in it to proclaim that everyone else is a workshy twat and the whole place would fall apart if not for their own personal contribution. They're the poo poo stirrers. Which is why I have as little as possible to do with them. They start out looking for someone to have a go at and work backwards to find a reason, probably wish they were managers the gits that they are.

In my experience they are usually people who are too thick to be able to conceptualise their role as worker systemically and just think that working hard makes them good even in instances where slacking off a bit would be better for themselves and others

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

i'm sure this will work considering SSP is loving poo poo. also includes something for curtain twitchers

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1304702108474781696?s=20

tweet unavailable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

tweet unavailable

no idea why it got deleted

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1304703117922119680?s=20

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

OwlFancier posted:

I don't like tryhards, I don't think they're good people to work with, I don't think they have a good attitude to co workers, and I don't like the idea that they somehow have "more authentic" opinions on the nature of lovely minimum wage work.

The kind of people who get tied up in "who's working hard enough" conversations are the ones who are in it to proclaim that everyone else is a workshy twat and the whole place would fall apart if not for their own personal contribution. They're the poo poo stirrers. Which is why I have as little as possible to do with them. They start out looking for someone to have a go at and work backwards to find a reason, probably wish they were managers the gits that they are.

I think that people are complicated and often do things for irrational or emotional reasons. I am reminded of some facebook meme I saw recently about mental health - someone who appeared to be working hard, always prepared, constantly busy, fully composed etc. was in fact a bundle of nerves operating out of anxiety, each sign of being a "tryhard" actually rooted in some fear or form of stress

human beings are dumb and cruel and worthy of contempt, but also worthy of love. agape is the underlying principle of solidarity and perhaps all left-wing thought

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So I'm sick with something my son brought back from school in the first full week back- fairly sure it ain't the rona, just a productive cough/runny nose/lethargy with no temperature

First day he was off I called the school to let them know and was told if it was "just a sniffle or a bit of a cough" and he wasn't feeling too bad he could come in regardless, which we declined because he's ill

Yesterday when calling in again, a different staff member was strongly suggesting we call 111 just in case and hunker down regardless- and was mystified at the prospect of us being told previously that coughs/runny noses in kids should be ignored to the point I'm fairly sure she thought we were lying to her

I'm obviously feeling confident and reassured by this centralised, consistent and logical approach to covid, which is obviously having the desired results around this great nation

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'll bet that old oberleutnant the workers do come to him of a Christmas Eve and they say "oh please sir can we have tuppence for t'the poor children's charity for tis Christmas sir and the poor children are going for to die if they do not get coal for to heat the orphanage sir" and he says "THEN THEY HAD BETTER GET TO IT all the better for to DECREASE T'THE SURPLUS POHPOOLAYSHIN :monocle: :mad:" like that and they do go back to their duties very cowed and dejected :ohdear: like that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A cautionary tale of letting the duchess peg you, that's how you catch aristrocracy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Did they really only release a covid track and trace app in England this week? :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did they release one at all? I thought that was only scotland?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

Did they really only release a covid track and trace app in England this week? :/

A couple of my friends with iThingummies have tried to download it* but it won't work on their iphones because they're either too old or too new - not sure which as I'm not au fait with iphone OS numbers.
If they're going to make an app, at least make it compatible with a wide range of phones unless you also plan on providing everyone with a new mobile to fit the app.

*well I'm assuming it's that because they're both in England and only posted about it in the last couple of days.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

crispix posted:

I'll bet that old oberleutnant the workers do come to him of a Christmas Eve and they say "oh please sir can we have tuppence for t'the poor children's charity for tis Christmas sir and the poor children are going for to die if they do not get coal for to heat the orphanage sir" and he says "THEN THEY HAD BETTER GET TO IT all the better for to DECREASE T'THE SURPLUS POHPOOLAYSHIN :monocle: :mad:" like that and they do go back to their duties very cowed and dejected :ohdear: like that

You should apologise for making me laugh so loud that I snorted my coffee (this was amazing please write more pastiche Dickens).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Holy poo poo NI has had one for months now lol

my ma was even able to install it unassisted :/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This is the future, isn't it

I know it was the past as well but this is going to be everywhere all the time in our coming Children of Men style future

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Imagine living in a country where the government actually responds to urgent needs in a moderately reasonable time frame

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

reminder the person in charge of the PHE replacement was also in charge of the test and trace app originally

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

England and Wales get it in a week and a half apparently -

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54118022

Just in time for a complete lock down lol.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
loving hell that's ridiculous lol

How can it possibly take that long to develop a loving mobile app with such a small set of requirements :/

If a Corbyn government had taken more than a few weeks to knock it out they'd have had the blood of the 5 or 6 thousand dead by now on their hands

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 12, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

crispix posted:

How can it possibly take that long to develop a loving mobile app with such a small set of requirements :/

Cos this is the 2nd one. The first one got scrapped.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

Corruption basically. The first contracts winning proposal was technically impossible and illegal under data laws which was known when it was awarded but the Tories wanted to give a few million to the person 'running' the company so they did it anyway, got legally challenged over it, then they admitted it was impossible and went with the Apple/Google method under a new contract.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Such a small list of requirements *and* a reference app already available that you pretty much have to just slap your own branding on *and* a multitude of potential assistance from the international government equivalent of stackoverflow.

The answer is of course none of these things help funnel money into the pockets of Tory donors - now everybody has had a chance to wet their beak something utterly broken will dribble out soon, and hey presto lots of contracts available to "fix" it.

Anybody claiming we have a free or even vaguely independent press should be beaten to death by the publicly available documents that prove the truly staggering amount of incompetence and corruption going on here that not a single national publication has touched.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

From the people that brought you the slogan "stay ALERT" before working out what the letters in the acronym meant.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anybody claiming we have a free or even vaguely independent press should be beaten to death by the publicly available documents that prove the truly staggering amount of incompetence and corruption going on here that not a single national publication has touched.

The incompetence part of the story has seen coverage a 'reasonable' amount. I saw plenty of articles on it over the months. The corruption angle though I've only really seen the private eye suggest.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

From the people that brought you the slogan "stay ALERT" before working out what the letters in the acronym meant.
A Leftist Exists, Remain Tory.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

namesake posted:

Corruption basically. The first contracts winning proposal was technically impossible and illegal under data laws which was known when it was awarded but the Tories wanted to give a few million to the person 'running' the company so they did it anyway, got legally challenged over it, then they admitted it was impossible and went with the Apple/Google method under a new contract.

"How can you blame the Tories for a global pandemic?? You just hate them for no reason!

(Do not ask us about 10-40 years of

- Privitisation
- Corruption
- Austerity
- Outsourcing
- Fatal allergy to state-run preparedness
- Mrs Cake)"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah i really dont think the covid stuff will stick to the tories, "you can't blame them for a disease" etc.

we are haemorrhaging prestige and legitimacy though, that might make the chattering class want a change

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

Is the NI app the same as the RoI app?
We have had it for a good few months now, but I wasnt sure if NI would use the same as the RoI App?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

The Question IRL posted:

Is the NI app the same as the RoI app?
We have had it for a good few months now, but I wasnt sure if NI would use the same as the RoI App?

I think I remember someone saying it works across the border

yeah they're compatible https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/health/PHA-STOP-COVID-NI-EXPLAINER-LEAFLET.pdf

quote:

Can I use my app outside NI?

The app will work in any country where we have already set-up the interface to work together and uses the same technology as we are; so far this is the Republic of Ireland. It will operate in the same secure and anonymous way it does at home.
As more countries launch apps like this, we can help stop the virus spreading when we travel. This also means that people using apps made for those countries can use them when travelling here.

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 12, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though it would be extremely on brand for it to deliberately not work.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah i really dont think the covid stuff will stick to the tories, "you can't blame them for a disease" etc.

we are haemorrhaging prestige and legitimacy though, that might make the chattering class want a change

Its possible. The tories managed to convince a lot of people labour caused the entire 2008 financial crisis.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
That old Gordon Browns he only went and sold all the gold and bloody bankrupted us didn't he :bahgawd:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mega Comrade posted:

Its possible. The tories managed to convince a lot of people labour caused the entire 2008 financial crisis.

brown having spent his entire fiscally competent premiership banging on about "light touch" regulation didnt help

e: the fire started elsewhere but labour were still flinging gasoline around and looking for a match at that point

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

brown having spent his entire fiscally competent premiership banging on about "light touch" regulation didnt help

Claiming to have eliminated boom and bust was not a particularly good idea in retrospect

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ the public seems to much prefer benefitting from the boom and shoving the consequences of the bust onto people they can ignore.

kecske posted:

maybe they enjoy learning in which case they could join the ranks of the eternal academia failsons
I want to be an eternal academia failson. :smith:

After accepting my place on the MA for next year, I happened to check the website and they've completely reversed their position on Covid. Campus is now open and is running courses with social distancing.

I only signed up because the online-only teaching would be ideal for me. I can't afford to get to campus from the depths of Oxfordshire, nor can I guarantee I won't miss a connection and be stuck in reading for half an hour.

I'm still waiting on a reply from the course admin about distanced learning but I'm not optimistic. Haven't enrolled yet in case it locks me in and makes me liable to pay fees - we might be moving house soon and I can not afford six loving grand.

I think the most annoying outcome will be the uni goes back, refuses distanced learning, i have to drop the course, second wave hits, and then everything goes to lockdown and remote teaching anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm still waiting on a reply from the course admin about distanced learning but I'm not optimistic. Haven't enrolled yet in case it locks me in and makes me liable to pay fees - we might be moving house soon and I can not afford six loving grand.

I think the most annoying outcome will be the uni goes back, refuses distanced learning, i have to drop the course, second wave hits, and then everything goes to lockdown and remote teaching anyway.

I need to enrol so my loan gets finalised except the system has been attacked so i can't lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can now get a .gay internets domain and it actually looks pretty good because the central registrar will deregister you if you use it for any 2edgy homophobic poo poo.

e: And this Leicester based dyeworks and knitwear advert from the 40s is how Tim Farron thinks .gay domains work.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 12, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I can't believe App Mancock of all people hasn't been able to get a technological solution developed in good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

is it a oval office move to use the covid reporting service thing when a neighbour's decided that a regional spike is the perfect time to stick a dozen people under a tent in his garden, in a street mainly filled with olds