Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I wonder if every loving show has a character that is supposed to be relatable to the viewer so everything subconsciously happens with the viewer
Nah, Im wrong

ps
In case you didnt get it - you are the ensign fletcher in this thread

I’m not talking about being relatable. I’m talking about who the character is. Mariner didn’t watch TNG. Parzival did watch The Shining. Saying it’s the same thing for those characters to make references in the script is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phylodox posted:

Someone should go through the most recent episode and find out the actual ratio of unique jokes/oblique references/direct references. Because people keep saying Lower Decks is nothing but Star Trek references, but there were a bunch of gags that I can remember just off the top of my head. “Captain, please let me blow up their warp core! I have been very good this month!”

Also the joke about using the holodeck to meet famous people is both a joke and a reference, with the joke being that the list of people to meet goes on so long as to be absurd, and the reference being that it's an actual list of all the historical figures used this way in Next Generation.

I mean it's not a great joke but the absurdism works even if you don't get the reference.

A better use of weird referential humour is the references to shipboard culture that the audience knows nothing about and just has to infer - the Choo Choo dance, Gamma Shift, Starbase 80, etc.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 12, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Super Deuce posted:

I’m not talking about being relatable. I’m talking about who the character is. Mariner didn’t watch TNG. Parzival did watch The Shining. Saying it’s the same thing for those characters to make references in the script is silly.

Mariner lives in the same universe as tng, ds9, ent, voy. She is referencing things that happened with the most epic flagship of their time, not episodes or shows.
You're trump levels of dumb. See, I just pulled an irl 'mariner reference' on you.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 12, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And the in-universe references make perfect sense, anyways. The Enterprise is the flagship and the most storied vessel in Starfleet history, its crew the Federation equivalent of celebrities. Asking how Rutherford could possibly know about their holodeck search histories is like asking how anyone could possibly know Gwyneth Paltrow steams her vagina.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Mariner lives in the same universe as tng, ds9, ent, voy. She is referencing things that happened with the most epic flagship of their time, not episodes or shows.
You're trump levels of dumb. See, I just pulled an irl 'mariner reference' on you.

She’s referencing things we, the audience, have seen. You’re being obtuse because you think it’s funny to be above criticism. It’s not. Keep clapping at your TV pal.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Super Deuce posted:

She’s referencing things we, the audience, have seen. You’re being obtuse because you think it’s funny to be above criticism. It’s not. Keep clapping at your TV pal.

starting a petition for this persons next 200 posts ITT to be Morn quotes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Super Deuce posted:

I refuse to believe that you’re not trolling and legitimately keep trying to prove how refined your television tastes are on an internet forum lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just imagine the number of lower decks crew that rotate in and out of the Enterprise

Of course stories about their doings spread virally and are also comically distorted from time to time

Also Mariner herself was on the drat Enterprise at some point

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

HD DAD posted:

I refuse to believe that you’re not trolling and legitimately keep trying to prove how refined your television tastes are on an internet forum lol

I can’t help it if nobody writing for the show or posting in this thread could pass a 5th grade creative writing class. Knowing basic motivation isn’t trolling.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine thinking a network's goal in producing a comedy cartoon is to impress 5th grade teachers or adhere to academic standards of literally anything rather than making enough people laugh that they keep watching

And imagine posting over and over and over about things you don't like haha. Imagine.

Literally no one is saying that the writing is exceptional or that it's a literary masterpiece you absolute goober. They're just saying they laughed at the silly show enough to watch it again next week. You're tilting at extremely stupid windmills

Yes, it could be better. Gold star for the incredible intellectual insight

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Super Deuce posted:

I can’t help it if nobody writing for the show or posting in this thread could pass a 5th grade creative writing class. Knowing basic motivation isn’t trolling.

I'm sorry engrish is neither my first nor my second language but you do you bud. Keep your 6th grade thought process outta here, mkay?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Statutory Ape posted:

Could we inflict a :toxx: somehow?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Arquinsiel posted:

Could we inflict a :toxx: somehow?

Is reading my posts that taxing for you? You can’t just disagree and either refute or ignore it? You need to hide any dissent?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No, you’re just being really, really tiresome.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

me reading a post claiming that Lower Decks isn't great but got a few laughs "This groupthink... must not stand!!!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Really good discussion, lots to think about

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

me reading a post claiming that Lower Decks isn't great but got a few laughs "This groupthink... must not stand!!!"

Which isn’t what I’ve ever been replying to. I’ve been pretty clear in what I’ve been talking about, albeit using some “everyone” hyperbole. Look man, I get some people want an echo chamber. Some people like forums for actual discussion.

Analyzing the writing of a show is a pretty big part of a TV forum. Even if it’s reiterating. Maybe that’s because the show hasn’t changed it’s approach in any episode?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There’s plenty of dissent in this thread. Some people like the show. Some people don’t like the show. Most everyone manages to discuss it without being needlessly confrontational and lovely about it, though.

If something grates on you so badly that it renders you incapable of civil discourse, then simply stop engaging with that content.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Super Deuce posted:

Which isn’t what I’ve ever been replying to. I’ve been pretty clear in what I’ve been talking about, albeit using some “everyone” hyperbole. Look man, I get some people want an echo chamber. Some people like forums for actual discussion.

Analyzing the writing of a show is a pretty big part of a TV forum. Even if it’s reiterating. Maybe that’s because the show hasn’t changed it’s approach in any episode?

people think you're trolling because they have a baseline of respect for humanity that precludes them assuming you're actually this loving stupid or abrasive unintentionally

most of your posting seems to be about your posting and the way that people react negatively to it, which you've not bothered to internalize an ounce of

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Suppose they said "Galaxy class" or "Intrepid class" instead of Enterprise and Voyager, does that fix the joke?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Super Deuce posted:

Analyzing the writing of a show is a pretty big part of a TV forum.

Agreed! Please, do go ahead and analyze the writing. It'll make a refreshing change from the blizzards of posts you've made insulting everyone who disagrees with the opinions that you've stated as facts.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HD DAD posted:

a reminder that until he kramered into this thread to call us all idiots for enjoying LDS, this dude posted exclusively about Bill Maher and Game of Thrones and can safely be ignored re: lofty opinions on television

e: super duce not HD DAD obviously

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TomR posted:

Suppose they said "Galaxy class" or "Intrepid class" instead of Enterprise and Voyager, does that fix the joke?

Only if another character totally owned them on how even ships of the same class have differently tuned engines and different experimental subsystems that affect the harmonics you absolute clod

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Another fine opportunity for additional jokes!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The USS Enterprise be all whrrrrrrr, but the USS Yamato be all wommmmmm. This guy knows what I’m talking about! This guy knows!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager's engines should have sounded like Hirogen mega thrusters with Borg implants and screaming ghosts by the time they got home but

Janeway Protocol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

The USS Enterprise be all whrrrrrrr, but the USS Yamato be all wommmmmm. This guy knows what I’m talking about! This guy knows!

Excuse me the USS Yamato is all wmmmmmOH GOD WE'RE LOSING CONTAINM-

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Enterprise E is all :wom: :wom: :wom:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Enterprise E is all :wom: :wom: :wom:

So soothing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Whereas the engines on the Equinox are all "AaaaaAAAAAAAGGGHHH, OHGODITHURTS, NRRRRRRGHHHH, AAAAAAAAAAA!"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

USS Discovery is all voom:shroom:zoom:shroom:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here's the actual problem:

The joke/reference is that people use the Holodeck to meet historical figures.

The punchline is

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Powered Descent posted:

Agreed! Please, do go ahead and analyze the writing. It'll make a refreshing change from the blizzards of posts you've made insulting everyone who disagrees with the opinions that you've stated as facts.

I have. In several posts. Yea there are a lot responding to people complaining about it too. Who’d have thunk.

TomR posted:

It would actually. Because stupid fan service to make people think HAHA I’VE THOUGHT THAT isn’t a joke.

Statutory Ape posted:

people think you're trolling because they have a baseline of respect for humanity that precludes them assuming you're actually this loving stupid or abrasive unintentionally

most of your posting seems to be about your posting and the way that people react negatively to it, which you've not bothered to internalize an ounce of

You just think I’m the only one acting negatively because you agree with them. They’ve acted similarly negative.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

a reminder that until he kramered into this thread to call us all idiots for enjoying LDS, this dude posted exclusively about Bill Maher and Game of Thrones and can safely be ignored re: lofty opinions on television

e: super duce not HD DAD obviously

I’ve actually posted in plenty of threads. Do you really just live on the surface of everything?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Starbase 80 is Janeway's command and that's why no one wants to go there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

The punchline is

The punchline is that it’s a reference.

Super Deuce posted:

You just think I’m the only one acting negatively because you agree with them. They’ve acted similarly negative.

This is horseshit. You haven’t said a single thing that hasn’t already been said by others, it’s just that they’ve exercised a modicum of civility in saying it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Alchenar posted:

The punchline is

This can't possibly be the first time you've encountered lampshading.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I liked it when she added the extra "choo"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

The punchline is that it’s a reference.

This is horseshit. You haven’t said a single thing that hasn’t already been said by others, it’s just that they’ve exercised a modicum of civility in saying it.

So now you’re resorting to lying. Alright bud. Whatever you say.

Powered Descent posted:

This can't possibly be the first time you've encountered lampshading.

What’s funny is I’m not the one lampshading. People in this thread literally saying the show is supposed to be bad because it’s silly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Whereas the engines on the Equinox are all *spooky ghost noises and war crimes*