Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s cheap liquor. I think you’re vastly underestimating both the quantity people drink and the amount of people who drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Maestro posted:

It's cheap liquor. I think you’re vastly underestimating both the quantity people drink and the amount of people who drink.

Also too, I think this thread is fairly unrepresentative of the general populations interest in cocktails and likely your home bar puts you in the top % of what's in peoples homes. So a lot of people have one bottle that they drink at home.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
At my favorite dive bar you get to choose between seagrams and old crow for your shot+beer special. I end up with a lot of old crow.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There’s a pretty healthy agriculture demographic in my area (coastal CA). Even bartending at a large casual-upscale restaurant I had enough people (old men) asking for 7&7s that I remember it. The farm boys really love Crown Royal though, which seems at odds to stereotypes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Klauser posted:

Here for my ~yearly recommendation to make Apparent Sours

1.5oz Aperol (Campari is probably fine)
.75oz elderflower liqueur
.75oz lime juice
Rosemary sprig if you have it (and put one in the shaker too)

This post nestled itself in my subconscious and I found myself adding a bottle of Aperol to my cart yesterday. Didn't know why until I came back and searched the forums, and drat that looks as good today as when I first read it. Trying this with dinner for sure!

What other Aperol drinks should I try? If I can find a mini bottle or can of prosecco, I'll do a spritz (our drinking is much slower with baby, so full bottle is a bit much)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The paper plane is very nice if you enjoy a light and fruity drink. Use the strongest bourbon you’ve got, it needs a little body.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I should say I have no Amaro Nonino (for paper plane) and also no colors of chartreuse, which also seems to be paired with Aperol often.

I'll probably pick up an Amaro Nonino next time I'm in a liquor store, which is likely to be a while. Chartreuse is expensive enough that I just always order cocktails with it when I'm out so I never have to bother at home.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Maestro posted:

It’s cheap liquor. I think you’re vastly underestimating both the quantity people drink and the amount of people who drink.

No, nothing I said would lead you to that conclusion but apparently I underestimated the popularity of S7. I guess a lot of people and bars are buying it, just none I know.

The Maestro posted:

There’s a pretty healthy agriculture demographic in my area (coastal CA). Even bartending at a large casual-upscale restaurant I had enough people (old men) asking for 7&7s that I remember it. The farm boys really love Crown Royal though, which seems at odds to stereotypes.

I'm sure it varies by region. Crown was popular in Alaska when I lived there but less so in the MI U.P., from my experience, which apparently isn't very reliable to guesstimate big trends. Bourbon seemed even less popular up there.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Anonymous Robot posted:

The paper plane is very nice if you enjoy a light and fruity drink. Use the strongest bourbon you’ve got, it needs a little body.

I have Nonino but not aperol. Would cynar work as a sub or is that probably a bit too bitter? I definitely need to learn more about which bitters can swap in for each other.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Cynar wouldn’t work, no. Even campari wouldn’t work, as the paper plane is primarily characterized by Aperol’s sweet, orange flavor.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Cynar wouldn’t work, no. Even campari wouldn’t work, as the paper plane is primarily characterized by Aperol’s sweet, orange flavor.

Which is sort of what I expected and explains why I haven't tried to make this drink before.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I should say I have no Amaro Nonino (for paper plane) and also no colors of chartreuse, which also seems to be paired with Aperol often.

I'll probably pick up an Amaro Nonino next time I'm in a liquor store, which is likely to be a while. Chartreuse is expensive enough that I just always order cocktails with it when I'm out so I never have to bother at home.

But green chartreuse burns and is awesome

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Aperol is a good swap for Campari in a few tiki drinks.

My version of a Jungle Bird

1 oz overproof rum (Smith & Cross)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz pineapple juice
0.5 oz lime juice
0.25 oz demerara sugar syrup
0.25 oz vanilla syrup
blackstrap rum float (optional)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chartreuse is far and away my favorite neat/rocks sipper

e: Just got some Galliano though, been looking forward to trying that.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Tried the Apparent Sour. I dig it! Tempted to stretch it out with a little vodka next time.

Other Aperol drinks I've really liked:

Two-One-Two
2 oz reposado tequila
1 oz Aperol
2 oz grapefruit juice

Adriatique
1 oz orange juice
1 oz Amaro Montenegro
1/2 oz Aperol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I often replace grenadine in any recipe with Campari and it rules

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just did the Apparent Sour, it was bad-rear end. Just one of the best sweet drinks I've had. I added a little rye to strengthen it up and balance it a little for only-have-time-for-one-drink nights.

With lunch I made an Aperol soda with some lavender syrup and a squeeze of lemon. Was also amazing.

Thoht posted:

Tried the Apparent Sour. I dig it! Tempted to stretch it out with a little vodka next time.

Other Aperol drinks I've really liked:

Two-One-Two
2 oz reposado tequila
1 oz Aperol
2 oz grapefruit juice

Thanks! I hope the farm stand has grapefruits tomorrow.

Human Tornada posted:

Aperol is a good swap for Campari in a few tiki drinks.

My version of a Jungle Bird

1 oz overproof rum (Smith & Cross)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz pineapple juice
0.5 oz lime juice
0.25 oz demerara sugar syrup
0.25 oz vanilla syrup
blackstrap rum float (optional)

Added to the "check this list if you have random juices" list, thank you!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

BrianBoitano posted:

What other Aperol drinks should I try?

Intro To Aperol
1oz gin
2oz Aperol
.75oz lemon
ango

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Had a couple of tommy's made with mezcal last at a boojie Mexican place, jfc so much better than with tequila it's ridiculous. Doesn't seem to be easy to find mezcal in Aus unfortunately but I'm definitely gonna invest in a bottle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Klauser posted:

Intro To Aperol
1oz gin
2oz Aperol
.75oz lemon
ango

This was excellent, thank you! I'm definitely adding egg white next time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Looks like Angosturra makes a cocoa bitters now.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

wormil posted:

So what is keeping the brand alive? Who is drinking it?
Someone will say old people but I'm probably old people to most of you and I don't know anyone that drinks S7. None of my older relatives drink S7, they tend to drink Canadian whiskey, white rum, or gin. So there is a market for it. Same with Kessler, I've never seen anyone drink it, buy it, or had it myself but Beam claims it's the 2nd best seller. Kessler is $18/bottle, for a few more bucks you can get legit good whiskey.

My guess is that it is the critical market that buys alcohol in pints and half pints.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How's Angostura's orange bitters compared to other brands? That's what I have because that's what the liquor store stocks, but I'm running low and figured it might be worth tracking down something else.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Toebone posted:

How's Angostura's orange bitters compared to other brands? That's what I have because that's what the liquor store stocks, but I'm running low and figured it might be worth tracking down something else.

It’s fine, but it’s a little too similar to their flagship product to me. I’ve had the privilege of sampling just about every orange bitters out there, and in my opinion Fee Brothers has the juiciest, most natural orange flavor around. It’s slightly on the sweet side, but I like that.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Ango orange is a solid orange bitters. I think it’s the most neutral, middle-of-the-road one.

Fee’s is sweet and creamsicle-ish, almost not bitter really. Regan’s is the bitterest, with an intense cardamom note. Others are much harder to find.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Incelshok Na posted:

My guess is that it is the critical market that buys alcohol in pints and half pints.

As I have recently learned, the global trade in postal exchanges for America’s Military accounts for a substantial amount of this output.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any further opinions on chocolate bitters? My variety pack 1/2 oz Scrappy's is about run out.

Last time this came up:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Speaking of which, anyone got chocolate bitters recs? I have always used Bittermens’ Xocolatl Mole bitters, but I’m interested in finding something without the spice note and more of a bittersweet cacao flavor.

The Maestro posted:

I don’t like many of Fee Bro’s bitters, but I like their Aztec Chocolate. Very viscous and strong though, literally one drop does it for me most times. The spice note isn’t as noticeable (no heat either)

Fart Car '97 posted:

Scrappy's makes a chocolate bitters that just tastes like dry cacao. They're great.

I loved the Scrappy's. Not interested in spiciness, so may try Fee Bro's. Any other opinions?

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

bloody ghost titty posted:

As I have recently learned, the global trade in postal exchanges for America’s Military accounts for a substantial amount of this output.

I guarantee you that is like less that 1% of the market. Alcoholics drink an incredible amount of booze.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Any further opinions on chocolate bitters? My variety pack 1/2 oz Scrappy's is about run out.

Last time this came up:

I loved the Scrappy's. Not interested in spiciness, so may try Fee Bro's. Any other opinions?

I’m interested to hear reactions to the Angosturra cocoa bitters once people have tried it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Being quarantined this year I invested in a home bar and started mixing drinks. My favorite is a Corpse Reviver #2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gatts posted:

Being quarantined this year I invested in a home bar and started mixing drinks. My favorite is a Corpse Reviver #2.

I had just learned how to make it when I saw this Archer episode

https://meerkatproductsltd.typepad.com/embury/2016/05/heroic-drinker-of-the-week-veronica-dean-on-archer.html

I was so proud of myself for not having to rewind to make sure I caught it all :kiddo:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Incelshok Na posted:

I guarantee you that is like less that 1% of the market. Alcoholics drink an incredible amount of booze.

Have you known anyone in the military that wasn't an alcoholic?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is there a secret sloe gin shortage

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tonight I have invented the Elixir Tropical #2. I was out of mint, but had a surplus of basil, so switch basil for mint and replace the normal white rum for Ray and Nephew Overproof and boom, fantastic loving drink.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Klauser posted:

Intro To Aperol
1oz gin
2oz Aperol
.75oz lemon
ango

Finally got around to making one of these and it's real tasty :hmmyes:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Me too! I made that one and also

Thoht posted:

Two-One-Two
2 oz reposado tequila
1 oz Aperol
2 oz grapefruit juice

I preferred the 2-1-2 after adding 1/2 oz simple and 1/2 oz campari. The Intro to Aperol was good as-is, and I definitely noticed when I forgot the ango. Trying before and after, it really ties the room together

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Finally managed to drop by Sonic and grab a two gallon bag of crushed ice. Just got some tiki bitters. What am I makin

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh, and btw: the Angosturra cocoa bitters are good. I haven’t had the Scrappy’s so I can’t compare, but it’s definitely an authentic dark chocolate flavor on its own at least. The next time I make a drink with it, I am going to try going a little heavier on it, because it got a little lost in a Manhattan.

Similarly, El Guapo’s holiday pie bitters are seriously tasty straight up, they have a really authentic pecan/sweet potato pie flavor, but I worry that they won’t stand up in a drink.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Finally managed to drop by Sonic and grab a two gallon bag of crushed ice. Just got some tiki bitters. What am I makin

Bitter mai tai would love some crushed ice in the finished glass! Otherwise I've been making a lot of Lelani Volcano 2.0's for my partner who loves guava. Adapted from the smuggler's cove book:

2 oz guava nectar
1oz cream of coconut
1.5 oz pineapple juice
.75 oz lime juice
2 oz rum

add ~1 oz seltzer to a collins or tiki glass with crushed ice

shake it up and pour over the ice/seltzer.

It's really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Carillon posted:

Bitter mai tai would love some crushed ice in the finished glass! Otherwise I've been making a lot of Lelani Volcano 2.0's for my partner who loves guava. Adapted from the smuggler's cove book:

2 oz guava nectar
1oz cream of coconut
1.5 oz pineapple juice
.75 oz lime juice
2 oz rum

add ~1 oz seltzer to a collins or tiki glass with crushed ice

shake it up and pour over the ice/seltzer.

It's really good!
I love this drink but always fear the overly sweet Disney World recipe has turned a lot of people off. I drop the simple all together and sub in white rum for some of the coconut rum. It ends up looking similar to yours but still does use coconut rum instead of cream, which I prefer as you get a less viscous texture allowing it to further differentiate itself from a Pina Colada.

3oz Guava Nectar
1.5oz pineapple (fresh fluffs up nicely, especially if you are using a spindle blender to mix)
3/4oz lime
1.5oz Coconut Rum
1oz White Rum