Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Stryder posted:

The banquet scene is one of the few things I liked about the SYFY version, even though they added Irulan. Leaving it out of the Lynch version might've simplified things, but also did leave out that statecraft and especially downplayed the importance of the Duke trying to get the smugglers on his side.

Incidentally, it looks like there's a shot in the trailer of Leto either discovering the lead smuggler or Shadout Mapes.

I'm pretty sure it's mapes. The smuggler was already dead, the shadout got last words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exmachina posted:

I'm pretty sure it's mapes. The smuggler was already dead, the shadout got last words.

the shadout got the shoutout

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think I only realised this year that the garment line in that scene wasn't a non sequitur

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Stryder posted:

HARKONNEN!? gently caress THAT poo poo. PABST OF IBAD.

Subtle

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

No, Roger, you see, Fremen accepted Paul because tens of thousands of years of social engineering by Bene Geserrit, not because he had a "powerful twink energy" GOD!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So how do these ratings work in practice? Will the theaters enforce the R rating? Do the parents care if their teenaged children go see an R rated movie?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's me, the absolute dune freak. if you casually mention dune in my presence i'll be talking about obscure dune lore within minutes. it's the one place i can't control myself. i just blurt out dunefacts 24/7

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Riot Bimbo posted:

It's me, the absolute dune freak. if you casually mention dune in my presence i'll be talking about obscure dune lore within minutes. it's the one place i can't control myself. i just blurt out dunefacts 24/7

what colour is the sky on arrakis

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Zendaya is cast in this movie

it will not be R rated. They want a legion of teenage girls to go see this for zendaya and timothee. It worked for the opening weekend of Dunkirk, before teenage girls found out it was a war movie and their boy band singer only had a few lines in it

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

... if we assume, of course within reason, that fremen physiology is no different than the standard modern human one, then it logically follows that the stillsuits are constantly jerking them off while sucking they rear end. Furthermore...

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I said I have six reasons why the Weirding Way is the same art at Gymkata, Kyle! If you were paying attention you'd know I've only expounded on three of them. Now where was I...?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

It me. Casually making jokes about Jason Mamoa free climbing in my home to my fiance who hates science fiction but is totally hyped about the cast/crew.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

This is it, guys, this is our "ASOIAF is being made into a movie so time to spoil everything for the normies" moment.

- ...I mean it only happens roughly after 3500 years from Paul's death and resurrected Duncan's seven hundredth clone (the correct term is ghola, translated from Arabic word ghulam meaning young [servant] boy) the son of Paul which is a human-sandworm hybrid that can see into future and knowingly opresses humankind so they can figuratively jizz on the galaxy after being contained to fight a great enemy but that tens of thousands later in two other books.

-Uh, thanks mate but I just wanted to know where did you wanted to get lunch?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McDuneald's

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Don't talk to me before I had my morning spice melange coffee.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Starbucks gonna rename their pumpkin spice Halloween latte to Arrakeen Brew. Just need to add in a microdose of LSD.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Eau de MacGowan posted:

The color of television tuned to a dead channel, next

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Me me I’m a dune man

All my friends:
I wanna be a cool duner too!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Watched the trailer, hyped as gently caress. Pink Floyd was a nice surprise.

Colonel Cancer posted:

The color of television tuned to a dead channel, next

So blue? :imunfunny:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Breaking away from the "Where do you gently caress a level 3 guild navigator?" chat, I wanted to share an interesting discussion about Dune in Turkish sci-fi groups.

I have never read Dune in English, the first translation was made around the late '90s by two exceptional translators (I think one of them is also a literature professor) which is beyond perfect as translations go because they made a great deal of research in Arabic and Turkish language to bring out the underlying themes Herbert had.

It's hard to describe but one example is krys knife -> hancer-i figan translation. Hancer is Arabic for dagger and figan is, a Farsi word that can be roughly translated as "a wail caused by pain". Both words are used in Turkish and that translation really elevated the symbolism behind it.

So, anyway, the translators were having a facebook discussion about that og translation and possibly Herbert was really big into how a text sounds when it's read out loud so suggested his students to read their writings loudly. The translators did that with the English translation and noticed that Frank used words including the letter "s" more frequently in the desert section of the book so when read out loud it would simulate the sounds of moving sands in the desert, a continuous "sssssssss" sound. So the translators chose the Turkish translation to have as much as appropriate words that also use s to keep the theme.

There is no direct quote from Herbet about this (I think he mentions how your mental sound is important during reading somewhere) and it is entirely based on the assumptions of the translators but I thought it sounded neat and wanted to share with my goonbros.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for a happy translation related story. In Poland it’s quite the opposite. There are two warring factions and objectively both translations have their problems. Your side depends on which problems are bigger to you. To true fans of either version they are of course perfect.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Galewolf posted:

Breaking away from the "Where do you gently caress a level 3 guild navigator?" chat, I wanted to share an interesting discussion about Dune in Turkish sci-fi groups.

I have never read Dune in English, the first translation was made around the late '90s by two exceptional translators (I think one of them is also a literature professor) which is beyond perfect as translations go because they made a great deal of research in Arabic and Turkish language to bring out the underlying themes Herbert had.

It's hard to describe but one example is krys knife -> hancer-i figan translation. Hancer is Arabic for dagger and figan is, a Farsi word that can be roughly translated as "a wail caused by pain". Both words are used in Turkish and that translation really elevated the symbolism behind it.

So, anyway, the translators were having a facebook discussion about that og translation and possibly Herbert was really big into how a text sounds when it's read out loud so suggested his students to read their writings loudly. The translators did that with the English translation and noticed that Frank used words including the letter "s" more frequently in the desert section of the book so when read out loud it would simulate the sounds of moving sands in the desert, a continuous "sssssssss" sound. So the translators chose the Turkish translation to have as much as appropriate words that also use s to keep the theme.

There is no direct quote from Herbet about this (I think he mentions how your mental sound is important during reading somewhere) and it is entirely based on the assumptions of the translators but I thought it sounded neat and wanted to share with my goonbros.

holy poo poo this is some real 4D prescient level of translation

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Galewolf posted:

That's loving awesome

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What color is the boathouse on Salsa Secundus?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Salusa Secundus is never confirmed as the Sardaukar factory, is it? It’s just deduced to be such by several different intelligent characters.

I bet it’s really just a party planet.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Ror posted:

Salusa Secundus is never confirmed as the Sardaukar factory, is it? It’s just deduced to be such by several different intelligent characters.

Turns out the real reason Sardaukar are such fearsome combatants is because they keep getting woken up to fight in the middle of the worst hangover of their lives.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Salusa Secundus... Sigma Sigma... Frat house planet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

It's actually every planet from the Riddick series

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FBS posted:

Salusa Secundus... Sigma Sigma... Frat house planet

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

magic cactus posted:

Turns out the real reason Sardaukar are such fearsome combatants is because they keep getting woken up to fight in the middle of the worst hangover of their lives.

It's actually the beer planet from Doon.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

drunkill posted:

Zendaya is cast in this movie

it will not be R rated. They want a legion of teenage girls to go see this for zendaya and timothee. It worked for the opening weekend of Dunkirk, before teenage girls found out it was a war movie and their boy band singer only had a few lines in it

Zendaya was in Euphoria on HBO where she played a drug addict, she's not beholden to her Disney past anymore. I think there's a bigger contingent of teen girls who would watch it for Timothee (and maybe Momoa) and I'm sure they've all seen and :shlick: to Call Me By Your Name already

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Silver

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Some strong Quibi level marketing analysis in this thread.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I didn't know who Zendaya was before the trailer. When they showed Chani, I thought what is Phreak from Hackers doing on Arrakis?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I didn't know who Zendaya was before the trailer. When they showed Chani, I thought what is Phreak from Hackers doing on Arrakis?

Christ that movie is 25 years old now. How can I still picture them so clearly?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The Emperor all but confirms at the end of Dune that it is when Paul promises to turn it into a garden world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

My man she is in Spider Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Galewolf posted:

This is rad, thanks