Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Monkeys with a pink bottle reminds me of nights out in Wigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Close encounter with the usually timid European Hare

Curious Hare by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Hare closeup by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

That's really cool! How close were you? I've seen plenty of those in real life but this gives a whole new level of detail.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pretty Cool Name posted:

That's really cool! How close were you? I've seen plenty of those in real life but this gives a whole new level of detail.

You're right, I don't know why but the stars aligned and the hares were not bothered by my presence (I was wearing my crazy anti horse fly hat so maybe they were like wtf is that) the real close up is 7 metres it was too close to be honest and by a gate so it's ears were covered by bars it's cropped to remove the bars and I didn't want to move incase it ran off and the better angle one with the full ears is much more of a crop from a crop camera at 560mm at 20m. I have a few more shots of this level of detail, these are the best though. I probably could have stayed longer but I gave them their peace for the incredible experience.

Hares in the UK are VERY flighty it's incredibly rare to get close, most of the time you see them just as they disappear into long grass running away, and with good reason they are still persecuted by illegal hare coursers, I will never disclose locations and make sure no geotags are release coursers are known to try and use social media etc to find hares. Other countries are blessed with a wide range of native medium/large mammal species, the UK has Badgers, Otters, (naturalised) Hares, Deer, Foxes all have been mercilessly hunted over the years and all are very hard to see in the wild let alone get close to in good light (Deer are common at country estates but are not wild.)

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm headed to the Bozeman area on Friday to spend a week on vacation. Naturally I'll probably head to Yellowstone since yanno, when in Rome. Anyone have any suggestions on lower trafficked areas to hang out and watch wildlife from? Every Youtube video of a 4 mile traffic jam because some yokel is trying to take a selfie with a bear/moose/buffalo makes me cringe and I'd like to try to avoid some of that if possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm headed to the Bozeman area on Friday to spend a week on vacation. Naturally I'll probably head to Yellowstone since yanno, when in Rome. Anyone have any suggestions on lower trafficked areas to hang out and watch wildlife from? Every Youtube video of a 4 mile traffic jam because some yokel is trying to take a selfie with a bear/moose/buffalo makes me cringe and I'd like to try to avoid some of that if possible.

You won't be avoiding traffic jams, any time something fuzzy is within line of sight of the road one is going to develop. The most tolerable traffic jams will be along Lamar valley. The downsides is it's a pretty wide valley so there's a fair chance the bison will little black dots. But they're also a fair chance they'll be along the road so feel free to try it out.

Consider the Blacktail Plateau drive, it was perfectly doable in a FWD city car when we were there 6-ish years ago, and almost no one else was driving it. Ask a ranger about the current road conditions though. I saw no wildlife, but there was a lot of wildlife evidence in the form of poop.

For non-wildlife stuff, Hyalite Canyon and the Madison Valley are excellent places to visit too that are in proximity to Bozeman. Virginia City is a tourist trap but a really cool one. Also Beartooth pass if you really want a longer drive.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 18, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

You won't be avoiding traffic jams, any time something fuzzy is within line of sight of the road one is going to develop. The most tolerable traffic jams will be along Lamar valley. The downsides is it's a pretty wide valley so there's a fair chance the bison will little black dots. But they're also a fair chance they'll be along the road so feel free to try it out.

Consider the Blacktail Plateau drive, it was perfectly doable in a FWD city car when we were there 6-ish years ago, and almost no one else was driving it. Ask a ranger about the current road conditions though. I saw no wildlife, but there was a lot of wildlife evidence in the form of poop.

For non-wildlife stuff, Hyalite Canyon and the Madison Valley are excellent places to visit too that are in proximity to Bozeman. Virginia City is a tourist trap but a really cool one. Also Beartooth pass if you really want a longer drive.

Cool, I'll check those out, thanks! I have a lifted Tacoma TRD-Off Road and am not afraid of going off pavement so if that adds any ideas to the list I'm all ears.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

charliebravo77 posted:

Speaking as a Brit who has been to YS twice; once in late Sept and once in Jan:

Most people want a leisurely breakfast then drive to all the geysers stopping only for wildlife by the road. So an early start for the best roadside areas then do a hike during the day and hope you get lucky.

The Madison River area towards the junction with the ring road is a prime area for Elk.
Fountain Flat Drive area is good for Bison.
Heyden valley for bison.
Lamar Valley for Bison, Pronghorn, Big Horn sheep.
Sheepeater Cliff - Pika (taken from my notes, I didn't make it there as the road was closed on both my trips)

Most other stuff is luck-of-the-draw anyway so do a hike to get away from people (very few go far from the cars). If you make it to Gardiner, the Old Yellowstone Trail might have Pronghorn (at least it did in January). It's unpaved and I can't image it gets that busy even in August.

Then when you get home, book a photography winter tour.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 18, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There won't be any true offroading inside Yellowstone, it's a pretty manicured experience unless you're doing backcountry hikes. I guess the Ashton-Flagg road can get rough but pretty much anything with tires can get through it.

But on the Montana side is all national forest land which comes with all the usual NF roads roads, so you can get yourself into as much or as little trouble as you might want.

Pop a squat at night at the great fountain geyser, it's my favorite feature in the park. Those glassy smooth terraces are just begging for something cool to be done with a camera (which I haven't pulled off due to overcast or lack of time whenever I've been there).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely NOT saying to do anything other than Yellowstone/Tetons, but another option if you are really crowd-o-phobic and really want to see Bison there is the National Bison Range, a ways south of Glacier. It's a smallish preserve with bison and pronghorn, set in a gorgeous semi-agricultural valley.

For Yellowstone, I'd echo Pablo Bluth's comment. Morning/Evening are going to be the best everywhere. And my experience is all shoulder seasons so I don't know what mid-august will be like. I really can't imagine not running into bison somewhere.

Lamar Valley is probably the best shot for wolves although you're likely to see them way across the valley. Bring binoculars and a scope if you have access to one. You'll definitely see Pronghorn, Bison and Elk, very possibly coyote there too. If you don't want to deal with camping or the lodges/cabins in the park, maybe spend a night or two outside the NE gate at Silver Gate or Cooke City. That way you'll be passing through the Lamar Valley first/last part of the day. There are usually some mountain goats way up on the cliffs between Lamar and the NE gate. And I'd agree this is the least crowded of the major roads since it's the farthest away from the more used entrances and Old Faithful.

Elk around Mammoth, often right in the town.

I've usually had great looks at Bison between Madison and Old Faithful. I could imagine being turned off by the idea of Old Faithful with tour busses barfing out groups just to see the geyser then hopping back on, but the boardwalk around the other geysers and springs in the basin is actually pretty cool. And Grand Prismatic is super crowded but also really cool. I love that place even with all the people.

I've seen bears pretty much everywhere in the park. Usually either super far away or near the road with 200 of my closest friends.

There's an already dead thread in the Great Outdoors forum about visiting Yellowstone, maybe another idea or two there...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yellowstone is a great place but it's full of people and they're mostly all lazy.

If you want to see cool stuff and get away from crowds, get onto a trail. Most people are only accessing stuff that's insanely easy and convenient which they can drive to it walk less than a football field to. If you hike even just a little bit, you'll lose most of the crowds. I went mid august a few years ago and I expected a lot of people but was shocked just how many people were there. There are animals everywhere. Nearly hit the largest elk I've ever seen as it was around the backside of a blind corner. Had a heard of bison come down the road towards us, crossing a narrow bridge which caused traffic to stop for 30 minutes (people were actually honking to get them to move faster). I mostly just saw bison, elk, deer etc. I didn't see any bears or wolves but being with my wife, we didn't backpack or get out on the trails super early/late which is when you would be more likely to see wildlife.

I am glad we saw what we saw but if I could do it over again I would go at a later date or just go to Teton. I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for people in general. I've lived in big cities my entire adult life. I'm also a very outdoorsy person who appreciates nature and watching a bunch of people try to get selfies with wild animals, honking and pushing them along the road because they're an "inconvenience". I had one group of people literally push past me as I was taking a photo of old faithful. I watched someones kids running around beyond the rope/boardwalk towards old faithful just before it went off despite all the signs ... that stuff really got under my skin. They felt like the humans from Wall-E. I thought for sure I was going to see this couple get gored by a bison when they backed up to it for a selfie.

But also traffic. It's summer in Yellowstone, lots of people have lots of free time with nothing else to do. There aren't many roads in Yellowstone so you basically get in a queue and stay moving in line until you decide to stop or turn off. It's probably going to be a circus.

As you can tell I love/hate Yellowstone. Would like to go back in the fall/winter with fewer people.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 18, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Late September is manageable crowd wise. There's the occasional short traffic jam for the best sightings and any bear still gets a massive crowd. The 200 people who stopped for a Great Grey Owl was probably the biggest.

Snow season is amazing and an entirely different ball-game.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Hares in the UK are VERY flighty it's incredibly rare to get close, most of the time you see them just as they disappear into long grass running away, and with good reason they are still persecuted by illegal hare coursers, I will never disclose locations and make sure no geotags are release coursers are known to try and use social media etc to find hares. Other countries are blessed with a wide range of native medium/large mammal species, the UK has Badgers, Otters, (naturalised) Hares, Deer, Foxes all have been mercilessly hunted over the years and all are very hard to see in the wild let alone get close to in good light (Deer are common at country estates but are not wild.)
I once went out trying to photograph hares. I put down my camera and popped in to the adjacent woods to have a piss. Mid-flow, a young hare came out of the woods and explored by my feet for a few minutes then casually went back in to the woods...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm definitely NOT saying to do anything other than Yellowstone/Tetons, but another option if you are really crowd-o-phobic and really want to see Bison there is the National Bison Range, a ways south of Glacier. It's a smallish preserve with bison and pronghorn, set in a gorgeous semi-agricultural valley.

Going into full on derail now, but that part of Montana is better in general. :v: The bob marshall, the rocky mountain front, flathead lake, then further south into the bitterroots are where the good poo poo is at. As much solitude as you can tolerate (well maybe not at flathead lake, but you gotta have a base camp somewhere).

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

I once went out trying to photograph hares. I put down my camera and popped in to the adjacent woods to have a piss. Mid-flow, a young hare came out of the woods and explored by my feet for a few minutes then casually went back in to the woods...

it's like 1% of the time they forget they are supposed to be afraid.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone. I'm staying up in Wilsall so driving infrom/out of the North will be good for seeing Lamar Valley. Wolves and grizzlies are at the top of my list of things I want to see (from behind a 600mm lens). Just gotta convince my wife to get up ~2.5 hours before sunrise once we're there. I've marked a few trails in the Gallatin and Crazy Mountains for off-road exploring, too. I would love to get up to the Bob Marshall/Glacier and Flathead Lake but I also don't want to drive the whole trip. We'll see, though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
We were at Grand Lake this week. (The lake pictured is just a small pond nearby.) Our first day, my wife and son were on the dock when the local moose mom and kid showed up and trapped them for a half hour or so. Finally, they just got in the canoe and went down the bank a bit. The water is only about 2 feet deep there, so they were concerned that putting the boat in would attract attention, but it became clear the moose mom was there for the long haul.

No you may not leave the dock by B. B., on Flickr

Moosling by B. B., on Flickr

Keeping an Eye on Me by B. B., on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Witnessed a war between deer and magpie

DSC_2280.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat fence squirrel-6336 on Flickr

Wildcat fence squirrel-6332 on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was at the park on Sunday doing some natural light portraits for a friend's compcard, when a water monitor just rolled up out of the lake and came over to check me out. I'm sat down and being fairly still so he may have just figured I was scenery rather than people (generally, they are pretty shy and scoot away if anyone gets too close). This guy walked right up to me and was sniffing my shoes and my leg. Unfortunately, I was at a weird angle so I wasn't able to turn to get a photo while he was that close, but I got this when he wandered over to investigate my bag. Helios 40 lens (85mm f/1.5) with the Biotar bokeh...

IMG_7520.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Second time in a row where I've gone to this park looking for warblers and upon walking into the trees I've stumbled across a moose

Moose by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Moose by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_2520.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Love this.

Wildcat Fence Lizard-6866 on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
More gators:

Alligator

Alligator

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So many great images but that inquisitive squirrel... :lol:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went to Yellowstone (and SW Montana) about a month ago. I had a severely sprained ankle so I didn't get to hike off and get some of the photos I was hoping to but did manage to get a few decent ones.

Bonus cow which is an ubiquitous part of the non-park landscape in the west

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

edit: ^^^ those are all gorgeous. how close did you get to that wolf??

I've got a squirrel with it's mouth full:

DSC_0046 by pfibeirut, on Flickr

and a dog:

DSC_0052 by pfibeirut, on Flickr

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 5, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

piratepilates posted:

edit: ^^^ those are all gorgeous. how close did you get to that wolf??

Thanks!

He popped up from below onto the road right before sunrise as I was driving into Hayden Valley in YNP. Stopped to take a dump in front of me and wandered around back and forth between my truck and the one in front of me. Rolled down the window (maybe not the smartest move in retrospect) and fired off a bunch of shots with my 70-200. Unfortunately my 80D isn't super great in low light and that was the most in-focus shot I got. The wolf and I locked eyes for a couple seconds before he sauntered off up the hillside into the timber. Definitely a super cool experience that I was not expecting to happen.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, bumped the dial from A to 8000 shutter speed. Great.
Fall Elk by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 5, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ So pretty.

This deer clearly passed out drunk and his friends went to town on his face with a fat marker

Gyuto eyebrow deer vert-8326 on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They announced the winners of the 56th Wildlife Photographer of the Year yesterday. Won by a tiger photo that I would probably put as 'interesting' rather than 'photogenic'.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/wpy/gallery

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

They announced the winners of the 56th Wildlife Photographer of the Year yesterday. Won by a tiger photo that I would probably put as 'interesting' rather than 'photogenic'.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/wpy/gallery

I can't even load half the photos on my connection and yeah, it's among my least favorite.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can see why the shot of the goat midair didn't do better, the lighting is not perfect and the composition is kinda drab but man I'd be stoked if I caught that moment.

The moose in the snow is my kind of jam, love that poo poo.

There was a different contest that had a picture of an elephant herd grazing in a garbage dump which was pretty :smith:. There's nothing about it I like but man it's a scene that needs to be spread.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-54435105

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Who the gently caress just maxed the texture slider and won nature photographer of the year.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Who the gently caress just maxed the texture slider and won nature photographer of the year.

I submitted some photos (didn’t get through) and they said they were quite strict on editing - RAW files were required if you got through the first round.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not really a fair critique as at least 75% of the images in that gallery also have that hyper-real over sharpened look on them.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah as much as I don't like the editing on that one specifically a lot of them are going to have the look just because of how bad the light conditions are. Natural light in a forest in the dark with no lighting (which is probably the most responsible option) isn't great.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
drat how did anyone take good nature photos before photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Atlatl posted:

Yeah as much as I don't like the editing on that one specifically a lot of them are going to have the look just because of how bad the light conditions are. Natural light in a forest in the dark with no lighting (which is probably the most responsible option) isn't great.

That's the thing though, that's why nature photography is hard, controlling the conditions. But you generally win a competition or take a good photo by spending effort and skill to seek out and maximise the rare opportunities to take photos that are less affected by those conditions. Sure the pose, subject etc have to live up as well but that's why competition winners should be winners.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 17, 2020