Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ulio posted:

Any games where you start at the bottom or top of a place and you have to make your way through the opposite way? If anyone played Ys Origins it's like that, you start at a bottom of a demonic tower and have to go through every floor till the top to finish the game.

Slay the spire: climb the spire (and the downfall mod turns it around and makes you play as a boss going down the spire)

Downwell

Binding of Isaac

Enter the gungeon and the sequel Exit the gungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ulio posted:

Any games where you start at the bottom or top of a place and you have to make your way through the opposite way? If anyone played Ys Origins it's like that, you start at a bottom of a demonic tower and have to go through every floor till the top to finish the game.
90% of roguelikes, including unsurprisingly SotS: The Pit

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

TowerClimb is a roguelike about climbing a tower, unsurprisingly. Also seconding DownWell.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

ACE Team's Deadly Tower of Monsters.

Also to add to the roguelike pile if I remember right Tower of Guns has a lot of verticality to it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 3, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ulio posted:

In devil may cry 3 you do both. Also donkey kong

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I kinda suck at roguelikes, I have played Binding of Isaac and enjoy it though, don't get too far though.

Slay the Spire is a card game roguelike? Maybe I will try it if I see it on sale.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I have no idea if it's still active/going but Let it Die was definitely about getting to the top of the tower. Also a roguelike.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Magic Sword is an old arcade/SNES platformer about climbing a tower. The individual levels are all horizontally scrolling though.

SteamWorld Dig and its sequel are mining games, so, lots of digging downwards. Maybe that qualifies? They have some amount of procedurally-generated content but I would definitely not call them roguelikes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

Persona 3

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

In Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, you have to return to the top after getting to the bottom and all hell breaks loose. The caveat here is that it may take you months/years to successfully get to the bottom in the first place.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Has anyone out there made an actual game that crosses Nationstates and Civilization. Tropico is the closest I saw but there has to be others right? The Political Machine gets boring quickly and Democracy is ugly as sin.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

anilEhilated posted:

Looking for an RTS game with good air units. There's just something extremely satisfying about pointing your units at a target and watching the destruction of their plodding armies, or dismantling the enemy with surgical strikes - C&C: Generals was pretty good about this, sadly the later games in that series dialed it back. Supreme Commander is obviously great but I know it backwards by now. Never managed to get into Wargame.

Anything else like this out there? I prefer games that let me use whatever feels cool as opposed to relying on hard counters for units (i.e. Starcraft 2 is out).

Splicer posted:

Planetary Annihilation. Why settle for air when you can go orbital? (air is also good though)
Bringing this back up because it turns out PA just got a permanent price drop to 25 bux

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Ulio posted:

Ultima Underworld

also, seconding Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (the best roguelike, with the worst name).

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
As far as climbing up a tower goes the Hammerwatch games are very cool and fun! The second one has a couple DLCs that add some content as well. It's a roguelite I guess, since there's permanent progress and a general power increase as you play and gain resources. There's also multiplayer if that's your jam!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ulio posted:

The Deadly Tower of Monsters is maybe the best example of that concept I've seen. The game area is a huge handcrafted tower that you keep climbing up for ~four hours. All areas are connected and it takes about two minutes to freefall from the top to the ground level.

The gameplay is... passable. Good enough, but nothing special. The writing tries to be funny, but at least it's not as bad as most "comedy" games.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ulio posted:

A bit out there, but Tower of the Sorcerer is an old PC puzzle game in the guise of a RPG. You climb a tower, fight monsters and upgrade your stats and try to beat the aforementioned sorcerer.
Mechanics are nothing complicated, but life points are more or less a currency, because you will have to take damage to progress. It's also possible to softlock if you use too many keys opening the wrong doors, and it can be frustrating.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Oh, and if you manage to get through lovely 90's UI and impenetrable mechanics - Iron Seed

Guess what's coming to steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1412980/Ironseed_25th_Anniversary_Edition/

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Recommendations for two player PS4 couch coop, action / adventure / RPG things? My partner is pretty new to games but is going WILD over children of morta, looking for more in that vein. Will consider Switch as well if there’s anything really standout on there, have been thinking of getting one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

occluded posted:

Recommendations for two player PS4 couch coop, action / adventure / RPG things? My partner is pretty new to games but is going WILD over children of morta, looking for more in that vein. Will consider Switch as well if there’s anything really standout on there, have been thinking of getting one.

Diablo 3

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

occluded posted:

Castle crashers is a pretty simple and silly beat em up with RPG level up mechanics. So even if you die you probably still got stronger. As long as a player is alive, potion auto reivives. The level up system is odd though, you gain xp per hit. That make certain magic builds with a single big hit level up really slowly.

The Scott pilgrim beat em up is supposed to be rereleased soon and is very similar.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Seconding Streets of Rage 4. It's a superb game with as much or little depth as you care to take on. Easy is mostly mindless button mashing (still fun!), harder difficulties require progressively more thoughtful positioning and move selection.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Need some strategic, competitive board game adaptations that work with 3 players. We currently play Carcassonne and Catan Universe and it'd be great to have some variety. We tried Waterdeep, but the UX was so terrible we refunded it, despite the game seeming interesting, so a really clear interface is a must.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
But board games are supposed to be so overly complicated only the nerdiest of nerds can figure them out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

Need some strategic, competitive board game adaptations that work with 3 players. We currently play Carcassonne and Catan Universe and it'd be great to have some variety. We tried Waterdeep, but the UX was so terrible we refunded it, despite the game seeming interesting, so a really clear interface is a must.

Small World has a pretty decent online implementation. I think there's also an online version of Ticket to Ride, but I haven't played it.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Looking for a new time-sink to sink my teeth into. I'm looking for a sort of rags to riches experience. Recently had a blast with X4: Foundations. M&B Warband & Stellaris are also in a similar vein.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe Starsector could float your boat? It's still in development, but it's a small team that's been working at it for 10 years by now, and at the state it's in right now it's basically a space sandbox. It's got a pretty distinctive art style, very good AI on all accounts, and freedom to pursue whatever path for yourself.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy
I've been hunting for some time for an open-world, preferably first person PC game that's got great atmosphere- there's something kind of peaceful and relaxing about the combination of exploration and stealth I'd get out of games like Stalker, and I've been able to get that same feeling out of Far Cry 2 (though I didn't really get much of the same feeling in later Far Crys), and even wandering in Skyrim or Fallout. Also, I've been largely out of gaming for a while and I guess I'd prefer something at least new-ish.

Anyone have thoughts on what I should look into?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Adimeadozen posted:

I've been hunting for some time for an open-world, preferably first person PC game that's got great atmosphere- there's something kind of peaceful and relaxing about the combination of exploration and stealth I'd get out of games like Stalker, and I've been able to get that same feeling out of Far Cry 2 (though I didn't really get much of the same feeling in later Far Crys), and even wandering in Skyrim or Fallout. Also, I've been largely out of gaming for a while and I guess I'd prefer something at least new-ish.

Death Stranding

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Adimeadozen posted:

Hmmmm...Crysis? The first game and its expansion, in particular. Not a true open world but certainly close in feel. Dying Light might also fit the bill. Also this is an incredibly controversial idea but...maybe give Fallout 76 a poke? For all its myriad faults, it does do the basic "wander a pretty wasteland looting and shooting" parts decently well. Generation Zero has middling reviews but is currently available for pretty cheap via the Humble Monthly. theHunter: Call of the Wild is a realistic-ish hunting sim with a lot of trudging through wilderness and certainly has a form of stealth. Gameplay's not quite as satisfying or as accessible as a standard shooter tho.

I'm struggling to come up with first person games specifically. I will say that every modern Far Cry game has a pretty different feel so YMMV on any given one. While people hated 5 for its plot, I remember people also getting sucked in by the fully realized Montana environs, fishing minigame, etc. Similarly, while not first person The Division (and its sequel) and the modern Assassin's Creed games have really strong environment design and a sense of place. But I'm loathe to actually recommend any Ubisoft games at this moment.

Horizon Zero Dawn is third person, and the PC port is iffy, but that might be worth a look.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 12, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adimeadozen posted:

Outer Wilds

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chas McGill posted:

Probably want to ask in the boardgaming thread. They know of digital adaptions as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Would non-adaptation games like Monster Prom or Jackbox Party Pack work?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

John Murdoch posted:

theHunter: Call of the Wild is a realistic-ish hunting sim with a lot of trudging through wilderness and certainly has a form of stealth. Gameplay's not quite as satisfying or as accessible as a standard shooter tho.

I've really been wanting to give this a try but from the research i've done it looks like you need much of the $100+ DLC for a decent experience.
It looks great though and have been watching a few streams of it.

e: oh its on sale $89.13 for the complete package.
Still debating the Humble version though for $15, only need $9 for the game but the DLC at $15 is a good new map I hear.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 12, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

OgNar posted:

I've really been wanting to give this a try but from the research i've done it looks like you need much of the $100+ DLC for a decent experience.

They have free weekends pretty regularly

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OgNar posted:

Still debating the Humble version though for $15, only need $9 for the game but the DLC at $15 is a good new map I hear.

It's come up a few times in the Steam thread and I think the consensus there was more or less the opposite, that you can largely ignore most of the DLC and maybe pick out a handful extra bits and bobs piecemeal if they pique your interest. But I could be wrong; I stopped paying close attention to the game after I tried it on free weekend and realized it just wasn't for me.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Chas McGill posted:

Terraforming Mars has a pretty good adaptation

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OgNar posted:

This is incorrect the base game will keep you busy for at least 20+ hours long before you need or want any DLC

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
I've had an itch recently for something that is basically like Don't Starve plus something like Factorio. The basic gameplay loop of have nothing -> harvest things with nothing until you can make something that can harvest things easily -> harvest thing X enough times that you can build something that will automatically harvest thing X -> move on to thing Y.

Something like Skyblock for Minecraft is a perfect example (or Seablock for Factorio, but that quickly goes way more nuts than I want to go). I know there are tons of mods for Minecraft that do this but I feel like I've mostly explored them with Skyblock. I've obviously tried Seablock. I've played The Forest, Raft and Salt. Astroneer. (Just going through my Steam library now.) Empyrion. FortressCraft Evolved. Kenshi. Meeple Station. Rimworld. Rise to Ruins. Oxygen Not Included.

Most of these don't even fit my description, I'm just trying to nail down what I'm looking for. I guess what I really want is something like Skyblock but as either a modpack for a different game, or a game that kind of fits what I'm describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

a gay lion named Tangiers posted:

I've had an itch recently for something that is basically like Don't Starve plus something like Factorio. The basic gameplay loop of have nothing -> harvest things with nothing until you can make something that can harvest things easily -> harvest thing X enough times that you can build something that will automatically harvest thing X -> move on to thing Y.

Something like Skyblock for Minecraft is a perfect example (or Seablock for Factorio, but that quickly goes way more nuts than I want to go). I know there are tons of mods for Minecraft that do this but I feel like I've mostly explored them with Skyblock. I've obviously tried Seablock. I've played The Forest, Raft and Salt. Astroneer. (Just going through my Steam library now.) Empyrion. FortressCraft Evolved. Kenshi. Meeple Station. Rimworld. Rise to Ruins. Oxygen Not Included.

Most of these don't even fit my description, I'm just trying to nail down what I'm looking for. I guess what I really want is something like Skyblock but as either a modpack for a different game, or a game that kind of fits what I'm describing.

satisfactory?