Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends on how much you like the neighbour and/or the olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VileLL posted:

is it a oval office move to use the covid reporting service thing when a neighbour's decided that a regional spike is the perfect time to stick a dozen people under a tent in his garden, in a street mainly filled with olds

Probably yeah, but do it anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

VileLL posted:

is it a oval office move to use the covid reporting service thing when a neighbour's decided that a regional spike is the perfect time to stick a dozen people under a tent in his garden, in a street mainly filled with olds

yeah because the olds got us into the current mess

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sadiq is such a bellwether for racists because he’s so milquetoast and boring that the only reason to get so angry at him is bigotry.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1304748569144983553?s=19

Lmao SHAT IT

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Barry Foster posted:

This is the future, isn't it

I know it was the past as well but this is going to be everywhere all the time in our coming Children of Men style future

I'm convinced the reason Cameron's government pandered to bigots and racists to such an extent was because nobody in their circles had ever set foot in the kinds of places where people have always been saying things like that. Now they yell it outdoors too because they think it has been legitimised

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

crispix posted:

I'm convinced the reason Cameron's government pandered to bigots and racists to such an extent was because nobody in their circles had ever set foot in the kinds of places where people have always been saying things like that.

What, do you think nobs aren't extremely and overtly racist? They absolutely are.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^^^ the public seems to much prefer benefitting from the boom and shoving the consequences of the bust onto people they can ignore.

I want to be an eternal academia failson. :smith:

After accepting my place on the MA for next year, I happened to check the website and they've completely reversed their position on Covid. Campus is now open and is running courses with social distancing.

I only signed up because the online-only teaching would be ideal for me. I can't afford to get to campus from the depths of Oxfordshire, nor can I guarantee I won't miss a connection and be stuck in reading for half an hour.

I'm still waiting on a reply from the course admin about distanced learning but I'm not optimistic. Haven't enrolled yet in case it locks me in and makes me liable to pay fees - we might be moving house soon and I can not afford six loving grand.

I think the most annoying outcome will be the uni goes back, refuses distanced learning, i have to drop the course, second wave hits, and then everything goes to lockdown and remote teaching anyway.

This is all entirely likely so hold off on your fees for as long as possible. My Uni is using blended learning but every course has to have some level of F2F contact so students have to come to campus, and Covid isn't a good enough reason to stay away and do everything via distance learning unless you're self isolating, but that's a very short-term allowance.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Something to keep in mind for the next election: here’s how you win a debate, motherfuckers

https://twitter.com/bangordailynews/status/1304560572084744192

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It owns that RL ran as the pro Corbyn candidate and then turned around and said actually he's poo poo.
So simultaneously scotlab went nowhere but it can also be blamed on corbynism

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ScotLab are just loving profoundly useless. An entire political party I wouldn't trust to find their own arse with both hands.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ive found the SNP have been exposed as much more competent communicaters but essentially a pretend government.

Most of the job of modern Liberal government is producing content for media and they are a lot better at that.
But every step of the roni road has had nicola announcing bojos own policies either shortly before or afterwards as if they were part of her own, better articulated plan.

Given the NHS is one of the few things the SNP supposedly demand control over, the Scottish government's lack of agency is worrying.
If the nationalists were serious about running the country they would be using this disaster as proof Scotland desperately needs devolution as a matter of emergency and they'd have been doing it since April.

As is I am getting the creeping feeling they are happy with the current arrangement where they get the job, attention (theyr on scottish TV a lot) and pension without the responsibility or workload.
Which is absolutely how scotlab seems to have been regarding delegating power to English Labour, is why I thought of it.

It imo explains also why after indie ref failed they didn't start gunning for devo max and just went right to another ref.
This state of affairs seems to suit them fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Politicians are principle-less chancers you say. I'm shocked.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Oh dear me posted:

What, do you think nobs aren't extremely and overtly racist? They absolutely are.

Lol god no. I meant they didn't realise how dangerous it is to pander to racist loudmouths

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

Lol god no. I meant they didn't realise how dangerous it is to pander to racist loudmouths

Not to them it ain't

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ive found the SNP have been exposed as much more competent communicaters but essentially a pretend government.

Most of the job of modern Liberal government is producing content for media and they are a lot better at that.
But every step of the roni road has had nicola announcing bojos own policies either shortly before or afterwards as if they were part of her own, better articulated plan.

Given the NHS is one of the few things the SNP supposedly demand control over, the Scottish government's lack of agency is worrying.
If the nationalists were serious about running the country they would be using this disaster as proof Scotland desperately needs devolution as a matter of emergency and they'd have been doing it since April.

As is I am getting the creeping feeling they are happy with the current arrangement where they get the job, attention (theyr on scottish TV a lot) and pension without the responsibility or workload.
Which is absolutely how scotlab seems to have been regarding delegating power to English Labour, is why I thought of it.

It imo explains also why after indie ref failed they didn't start gunning for devo max and just went right to another ref.
This state of affairs seems to suit them fine.

I think a lot of that is true but I think the notion the SNP aren't entirely sincere about wanting Scottish independence is beyond laughable. A reach so far you're liable to scald yourself on the surface of the sun.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1304784502431125506?s=19

Lol I almost respect him for trying the "That's not me in the photo" route. Utter charlatan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just watched this, it's good and ties up a bunch of things previously covered about conspiracy mindsets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Just watched this, it's good and ties up a bunch of things previously covered about conspiracy mindsets.

It's fantastic, this. I said it in the RGD thread but it's well worth the time investment to watch it and ties it up in a really succinct way. But don't skip to the end, it's a great punchline but feels much better with the long run-up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who could have foreseen this

https://twitter.com/DavidPaisley/status/1304817269655117824?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Camrath's fudge saved my from hypoglycemia earlier, thanks Camrath. Chocolate orange is my current favourite, russian revolution was also 10/10 but I liked the white chocolate a bit more than the raspberry and it made me feel like a reactionary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You need his new vanilla ice cream fudge, known as First Against The Walls.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

"Hold on, I'm taking a hit"

Pure buckled

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Folding Ideas is a good YouTube

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I think a lot of that is true but I think the notion the SNP aren't entirely sincere about wanting Scottish independence is beyond laughable. A reach so far you're liable to scald yourself on the surface of the sun.

fair enough i genuinely don't know enough about them to know what their end game is
the supporters i know are definitely sincere

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tarnop posted:

Folding Ideas is a good YouTube

Is or was a goon but had a meltdown in the movies forum because he was wrong about batman or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If we held being a former goon against lefttubers we probably wouldn;t have any lefttubers left.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
UKMT must make for exciting colleagues between the self-destructively pass-agg management style and the No Tryhards doctrine. I also enjoyed that Bertrand Russell essay about idleness, and agree that we shouldn't grind our hands down to the bone on the job, especially if it's a bullshit job for a lovely corporation. Does seem a little uncomradely and perhaps even self-parodic to bang on about colleagues being 'too dumb to skive' as a leftist though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's also ok to enjoy your job and work hard at it because you find it fulfilling, particularly if doing so helps improve your skillset and out you in a better bargaining position for negotiating training or something. A lot of it has to do with the company and management culture though. Most companies I work for treated employees like cattle and would throw you out of the window the second they thought it was possible to save a few quid.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I just happened to turn on the TV to see them singing Rule Britannia at the Proms, so I guess the gammons will have to find something new to complain about.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I just happened to turn on the TV to see them singing Rule Britannia at the Proms, so I guess the gammons will have to find something new to complain about.

Don't worry someone did a Black Lives Matter song, they've been complaining about that instead

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Don't worry someone did a Black Lives Matter song, they've been complaining about that instead

Lol, really? That’s some real “abortions for some, miniature American flags for others” energy.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Convex posted:

It's also ok to enjoy your job and work hard at it because you find it fulfilling, particularly if doing so helps improve your skillset and out you in a better bargaining position for negotiating training or something.

Yes exactly thank you. I guess a lot of it comes down to what kind of work one is doing. Folks been describing lovely minimum wage poo poo with unpleasant colleagues, meanwhile my experiences as an overpaid computer wanker are very different. In my job, in most projects there's like 13 different things that need to be done, and any given person with a degree and ten years of experience can be relied on to know maybe 7 of them if you're lucky. Collaboration becomes kinda important. There are also not that many arseholes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1304886916391874560?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1304884582139990018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Well great news, we won't be forced to give Abu Hamza lifetime free KFC bargain buckets and Waitrose can sell wonky vegetables again like in ye olde times. Now we just need to bring back workhouses and hanging and sort out those pesky age of consent laws

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

jaete posted:

Yes exactly thank you. I guess a lot of it comes down to what kind of work one is doing. Folks been describing lovely minimum wage poo poo with unpleasant colleagues, meanwhile my experiences as an overpaid computer wanker are very different. In my job, in most projects there's like 13 different things that need to be done, and any given person with a degree and ten years of experience can be relied on to know maybe 7 of them if you're lucky. Collaboration becomes kinda important. There are also not that many arseholes

I find this in my job as a nurse. The three year training seems to filter out the laziest and workshy.

I have no problem with people taking it easy when there is no real work to do. If it's quiet- sure kick back and relax. If poo poo hits the fan I have a less than tolerant approach to people not even trying to pull their weight.

It depends on the job and workplace. I have no problem with workers being as lazy as possible in minimum wage jobs, I did the same when I was working minimum wage. When the consequences of your laziness means somebody has to wait longer for fast food- loving go for it. Less so when you are dealing with people's health and well being.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
tbh the idea of the government formally 'opting out of' human rights law doesn't really fill me with a huge amount of dread because they do that all the time anyway whenever it's convenient and no one cares or does anything so really not much is changing

Dogatron posted:

When the consequences of your laziness means somebody has to wait longer for fast food- loving go for it. Less so when you are dealing with people's health and well being.

chicken nuggets are a significant part of my subjective well-being

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 12, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Shogi posted:

UKMT must make for exciting colleagues between the self-destructively pass-agg management style and the No Tryhards doctrine. I also enjoyed that Bertrand Russell essay about idleness, and agree that we shouldn't grind our hands down to the bone on the job, especially if it's a bullshit job for a lovely corporation. Does seem a little uncomradely and perhaps even self-parodic to bang on about colleagues being 'too dumb to skive' as a leftist though.

I think it's possible to be a leftist and also recognise that there are a lot of thick bastards out there who are beyond help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

ThomasPaine posted:

chicken nuggets are a significant part of my subjective well-being

Learn to cook your own food and free yourself.