Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

And ringneck snakes! (Two of them in fact).

Earth snake? (Haldea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Almost ruined this poor girl’s night when I went to check the mail last night. She had half her web anchored to the door of the mailbox.

She was munching on something.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Almost ruined this poor girl’s night when I went to check the mail last night. She had half her web anchored to the door of the mailbox.

She was munching on something.

It's like she's got fuzzy socks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Earth snake? (Haldea)
They're related--both of these had very bright and distinct neckrings though and I thought earth snakes were unpatterend. Closer look suggests the placement of the ring would be really weird for a ringneck though so maybe it's an unusual morph of Haldea?
Edit: maybe baby crowned snakes. I'm in NC so these are all possibilities.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 12, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Scarodactyl posted:

The soil apparently comes with:

American giant millipedes

Aww yiss more multi-legged goodness, millipedes are awesome & I miss seeing them around

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Millipedes are the best. They're like little trains with legs.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Anyone able to ID this spooky spider from eastern PA?

Enjoy some shots of a leaf bug on glass!

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 14, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a Spiny-Backed Orb Weaver. Good chances that it's Gasteracantha cancriformis, those are particularly common all over the eastern US.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They like to weave webs right at head height.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Corrected to Spiny-Backed Jerk Spider, thank you for your contribution to science.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't been able to ID this thing. North Georgia

bij
Feb 24, 2007

White dotted prominent moth Nadata Gibbosa maybe?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scarodactyl posted:

They like to weave webs right at head height.

...Across sliding glass doors, especially.

The assholes.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a Spiny-Backed Orb Weaver. Good chances that it's Gasteracantha cancriformis, those are particularly common all over the eastern US.

I would have thought Micrathena gracilis based on the inverted pyramid shaped abdomen?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

the yeti posted:

I would have thought Micrathena gracilis based on the inverted pyramid shaped abdomen?
I didn't know about those! The reference pictures for G. cancriformis are all top-down and I've never seen one in person, so I think your guess is better than mine there. Sounds like a much better match.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bij posted:

White dotted prominent moth Nadata Gibbosa maybe?

Yeah, seems like it. Looks like a gummy worm.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
oddly colored fly

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
A tachinid?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Falukorv posted:

A tachinid?

Yup

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I wasn't the only one taking an afternoon walk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Actuarial Fables posted:

Did it manage to keep its feet or did it fall over at least once?

In my experience there is no animal as clumsy and uncoordinated as a porcupine.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Didn't see it fall over! I assume it was more attentive than usual because there was a very tall and scary animal in its way. It initially retreated when it saw me, but after a minute it got brave and passed by, even gave me a sniff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Too bad you didn't make a video instead, that sounds adorable.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Actuarial Fables posted:

🦔 Hello Ralph

📷 Hello Sam

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 16, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Growing up reading books like Hatchet and watching Homeward Bound, I have an impression of porcupines as extremely dangerous.

Is this not true?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, if you try to poke them, then tend to poke back twice as hard, so they're very dangerous in a 'mutually assured destruction' kind of way. That one has no butt spikes, so someone clearly got a pokin' recently.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Yeah they're dangerous.

Dangerously cute.

Cardiovorax posted:

so someone clearly got a pokin' recently.
A lot of people walk their dogs off-leash on these trails despite the constant reminders not to, so I'd wager that a pup has a mouthful of regret now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Growing up reading books like Hatchet and watching Homeward Bound, I have an impression of porcupines as extremely dangerous.

Is this not true?

Porcupines are super chill and dopey animals. A rodent that's covered head to tail in spines doesn't have any reason to be aggressive towards you.

Just don't try to hug them or whatever.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, don't let the sign fool you.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Especially try not to put your face in a porcupine. They don't actually throw quills or anything, it's very passive defense.

I've never seen a porcupine in the wild, but I'd love to. It's funny, I can't begin to guess the number of raccoons, possums, and foxes, but no porcupines yet.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've seen a skinny, confused looking fox twice in two days around my place of work in the middle of the day.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was walking my dog in the woods in the evening and came within an inch of stepping on a porcupine (in sandals and shorts) and my dog barely bumped into it. still got all sorts of quills, it sucked

they don't exactly book it from you when you approach so you gotta keep your eyes open

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Porcupine quills are barbed. It doesn't take much to get them to pierce skin and once you do, they're staying there. It's a great way to catch blood poisoning, so if you get quilled, always see a doctor.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I miss my porcupals. :smith:

My new running route has much less wildlife, but the old neighbourhood had no affordable houses.

Trundling video.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

poverty goat posted:

I've seen a skinny, confused looking fox twice in two days around my place of work in the middle of the day.

Yikes. I don't know fox behavior very well, but are you thinking maybe rabies?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Did some reading up on porcupines

Wikipedia posted:

Female porcupines are solitary for most of the year except during the fall when breeding season begins. At this time, they secrete a thick mucus which mixes with their urine. The resulting odor attracts males in the vicinity. ... Once a dominant male is successful, he approaches the female and uses a spray of his urine on the female. Only a few drops touch the female, but the chemical reaction allows the female to fully enter estrus.

How romantic. :love:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

Yikes. I don't know fox behavior very well, but are you thinking maybe rabies?
Not necessarily. Foxes do approach and explore human dwellings if they're very hungry. It's possible, though, so I'd stay well away from it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm late to the party, but on what page do I find the OK moths?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I saw this little crawler on my train ride to work today.

My first thought was that it was a roach, due to its size and speed. The roundish body reminded me of a bedbug, but I don't think they get near that big.
So even though it doesn't have the usual coffin-shape of most roaches I've seen, I'm going to go with roach as my final answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Looks like it could be a cockroach nymph - some of them seem rounder than the adult forms.