Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh dear me posted:

I don't know, that sounds realistic to me. Victors want to divvy the spoils among their friends; being of the same religion isn't a reason to keep your stuff, there's plenty of other coreligionists who would like it.

It's not much of a holy war if you keep fighting soldiers of the same religion as yours to usurp their lands.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this is supposed to be what happens in CK3 too but it seems buggy. Having a pluralist religion is supposed to vassalize everyone instead of seizing land (you only seize the land directly owned by the person you declared war on) but every time I holy war a kingdom as a pluralist religion I still seem to personally seize 90% of the realm.

I thought it might be something to do with losing a duchy to another duke, since one can't vassalize the other, but the same thing happens taking land from counts.

Maybe it's best to wait for a patch or two since there seem to be a lot of broken/badly balanced features between tribal to feudal conversion, dread, abduction, holy orders...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is frequently said but not quite true, and misunderstanding it steers people away from a pretty easy way to handle partition succession.

What you can't do is give your PRIMARY heir anything he wouldn't already be inheriting. You can give secondary heirs anything you want, the game will just recalculate afterwards and count what they already own against what they would get from you when you die.

Here's an example from my game. I'm King and Duke of Brittany, and hold all the counties in Brittany personally. Only one kingdom, so that goes to my primary heir. Only one duchy, so that goes to my primary heir. Because of this, gavelkind starts splitting at the county level. But if the secondary heirs all already HAVE duchies, no matter what size they are, the game decides "we good" and leaves my counties alone (at least, any counties inside Brittany).

I want to keep the capital duchy together, so since I've been reconquering the Isles, any time I seize or create a new duchy from my conquests and I have a son that isn't a duke already, I give it to him. This has worked for me under both Confederate and regular partition, as long as I only hold one title at my top level (ie, one kingdom as a king, and not having enough land in another kingdom to create it).

Another thing that has worked for me is to add an elective law to my capital duchy. Since I'm holding all its provinces personally, I'm the only voter and it reliably goes to whichever son I want, along with all its counties. I'm not entirely sure how this will interact with partition on another held duchy yet, or trying to hold two elective duchies as crown lands, but we'll see.

Thanks for this. It really helped make partition click in my brain.

I started a game as Ivar the Boneless and rushed creating a kingdom before he dies. I gave each of my four non-heir sons a duchy and now my heir gets the kingdom and the capital duchy and counties. Nothing is lost on succession.

My issue now is that my capital duchy is not as good as some of the other duchies in my kingdom, but I'll have to fix that with some title wizardry later. I'm just glad I have a sensible distribution of land at the moment.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

blue squares posted:

I had a Liberty Faction start up against me. Their armies were pathetic so I told them to pound sand. The war began and despite me having a vastly superior army I got handed 4 defeats in rapid order. Not sure what happened. I had the game speed on too fast, but I also find war incomprehensible. Understanding which units on the map are which appears to be beyond my capabilities. I often see units on the map that I can't select.

I reloaded my game. How do I stop a liberty faction? It has four members.

There's no easy way to directly compare actual military strength but when a move order will lead to a battle you'll often see a minus, plus or something else that you can highlight and it will tell you the general likelihood of winning. Aside from that you can look at the battle itself and see the various bonuses you and your opponent have.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

I reloaded my game. How do I stop a liberty faction? It has four members.

Dread is by far the most powerful new vassal management tool. Hop over to your dungeon and execute a few prisoners.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

I had a Liberty Faction start up against me. Their armies were pathetic so I told them to pound sand. The war began and despite me having a vastly superior army I got handed 4 defeats in rapid order. Not sure what happened. I had the game speed on too fast, but I also find war incomprehensible. Understanding which units on the map are which appears to be beyond my capabilities. I often see units on the map that I can't select.

You will only ever be able to select and control your own units that you raised by clicking on your rally point and clicking on the raise army button there. Those units should have a green background behind the unit count. Allied units will have a blue background. (You typically have to call in any allies you have manually.) Enemy armies have a red background. Hostile third parties have an orange background. (Third parties include people who have declared war on the same enemy you declared war on, or raiders.)

Keep a close eye on the position of the enemy armies in relation of your own and only try to engage in combat when victory is assured. Play on speed 3 or 4 during wars and make heavy use of pausing so you don't miss anything.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I created a Custom Empire to keep the band together a few generations back, but now I have enough to claim the Empire of Tibet. Is the correct move to create Empire of Tibet, then destroy Custom Empire title, so that next generation doesn't have twin emps?? I imagine doing it the other way around will shatter my realm instantly, but then The Custom Empire is in huge pieces of what was once on the map as Tibet, so I'm also concerned that destroying the Custom will obliterate some of the Tibetan de jure???

for visual reference:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, here's one:

The mayors of Visby, some of my most successful vassals, have conquered a good chunk of Estonia/Lithuania for me. The problem is, whenever they die, even though most of their holdings are castle counties, they still somehow go to the next elected mayor of Visby, which seems....... incorrect. If they were a ducal level republic, I could understand it, but they are not. I'm assuming I don't get levies from those holdings, because the Mayor almost certainly won't, since they're the wrong holding type, so there's none for him to pass upward to me.

So.... short of outright revoking the titles of a good and loyal vassal who does a lot of work for me, is there a way I can stop this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On that note, having a strong mayoral vassal in your kingdom, whether you're as their liege or another vassal, you might want to give strong consideration to matrilineally marrying the occasional daughter to them. As a low-born, they'll always accept. If you're their liege, the powerful vassal will now not join factions against you, because you are allied. If you're not the liege, you simply get a powerful ally within the kingdom. Further, all those children your daughter will have will be of your dynasty, and will be quite willing to join your court when you become an adult, allowing you to marry them out elsewhere for further alliances. As a republic vassal, you can keep doing it and never have to worry about incest penalties, because every mayor will simply be a new, completely random guy. (Though, it's a little sad that I've never seen some random highborn visitor/courtier be elected. I feel courtiers of the republic with a high enough combination of diplo/stewardship should sometimes become the new mayor.)

Speaking of matrilineally marrying away your daughters, my dynasty now stands to inherit the Kingdom of Wales and a large portion of England(the Danelaw). Totally an accident. I just inherited when I had three daughters and no sons, so my goal was 1)Get alliances fast and 2)Make sure they were matrilineal, so I could play as the same line. Some shockingly powerful countess in Wales agreed, because she was normal-married to her husband, so it wasn't like her son was of her own dynasty anyhow. I never thought to check her husband, as it was already exactly what I was looking for, and, welp. Turns out her Husband was the heir to Wales. So....... his heir is now matrilineally married to my firstborn daughter, and I doubt anyone can convince his son to drop her, as she's a genius. Meanwhile, my second daughter matrilineally married the third son of Northumbria. The first two brothers died without my intervention by really wanting to be knights and apparently not being very good at it. So that'll now inherit into my dynasty, too. Hopefully their children figure out how to overthrow the Danelaw, so I can have that and Wales as allies I can count on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:
Back to the Mayor of Visby thing---if I make him a Duke of somewhere, will he then ditch the counties that are the wrong holding type, since they'll remain his vassals?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 12, 2020

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So what's the fastest/easiest way to get out of tribal and into feudal? It's been like 100 years but doesn't feel like the innovations come very quickly

It's not awful at the moment with tanistry elections since I can sorta pick a solid candidate out of my kinsmen, but ideally I'd like to have the larger/stronger levies soon

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Skypie posted:

So what's the fastest/easiest way to get out of tribal and into feudal? It's been like 100 years but doesn't feel like the innovations come very quickly

It's not awful at the moment with tanistry elections since I can sorta pick a solid candidate out of my kinsmen, but ideally I'd like to have the larger/stronger levies soon

The best way is become vassal of a feudal lord. Of course, this then may lead you to have to wage an independence war later on.

If you don't want to do that, try and move your capital to a county you own whose culture is feudal. Then you can switch and reverse it if you want to switch back to your original culture. If you do that, though, you'll have to either get through the innovations or make it to 1020 (I think) before your culture unlocks the feudal innovations. All the switching has a prestige cost, and not everyone will convert back and forth with you.

The last option is to try and become the cultural head, focus on scholarship/learning and boost that as much as possible.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you're the house head you should be able to legitimize his bastards? You don't have to actually be the parent to do it.

His wife has seriously excellent genetic traits, it's why I had him marry her in the drat first place. His bastards mostly have a bad inbreeding problem. One didn't even make it to three years old.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
drat it. I'm an idiot. Visby is the Dukedom title for Gotland. Why aren't you giving out those counties, you rear end in a top hat? :argh:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Right, so is the general rule for ensuring smooth successions in gavelkind to be conquering as much land is needed until your primary heir finally inherits the capital duchy in its entirety? That seems to be the boundary.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm new at this and haven't read the thread and have no idea what I'm doing!!! I'm playing the ireland tutorial and, am I just supposed to appoint people to my council, build buildings, set what my council members do, make sure I have enough knights, marry everyone off, and wait? I can't go to war with anyone. I noticed there was a siege in one of my friend's territories (I realise friend is not a useful word here) so I raised some soldiers and sent them there, and that made the siege... go faster????

Also it just crashed to desktop after about an hour of play, so if there are any tips for that please let me know! I'm playing the xbox live gamepass version on pc.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

toasterwarrior posted:

Right, so is the general rule for ensuring smooth successions in gavelkind to be conquering as much land is needed until your primary heir finally inherits the capital duchy in its entirety? That seems to be the boundary.

Yes. But you don't always need land in fact, because the division is by top ranking title, so if you can get an equal number of duchy titles for each heir you don't need to conquer all their counties.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man I have a bucketload of titles I could create but they are so drat expensive lol

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
drat, hell of a dilemma in my game. Started as Munster, took over Britannia, transformed Insular Christianity into your standard gnostic incest cult as you do, and have been merrily conquering my way across western Europe, grabbing everything from Rome to Lisbon. Turns out one of my vassals from bumfuck nowhere somehow managed to get his son married to the daughter of the freaking Byzantine Emperor, and now his daughter has taken the throne, having been converted by her husband to my religion.

The dukes and counts of the Byzantine Empire, though...well, let's say they'd not exactly happy about it:

Almost every vassal of the empress is fighting an independence war against Byzantium right now. If they win Byzantium is turbofucked, and with the Mongols on the doorstep that's bad news. Now I could marry one of my kids to the Empress' daughter and make an alliance, riding in to save the day, but I can't decide if watching the empire explode like this is too funny not to just let happen.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wheres the patch johan you charlatan

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

redreader posted:

am I just supposed to appoint people to my council, build buildings, set what my council members do, make sure I have enough knights, marry everyone off, and wait? I can't go to war with anyone. I noticed there was a siege in one of my friend's territories (I realise friend is not a useful word here) so I raised some soldiers and sent them there, and that made the siege... go faster????

You can only fight enemies in wars you've explicitly declared or joined. If you see a vassal fighting you can right click on them and offer to join their war, and then you could fight. If you can't declare war on anyone yourself you probably need to fabricate some claims, or recruit people with claims to your court - keep an eye on your visitors. Also watch out for decisions you can take like hunting and do forth.

And remember you can speed things up when not much is happening.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Speaking of matrilineally marrying away your daughters, my dynasty now stands to inherit the Kingdom of Wales and a large portion of England(the Danelaw). Totally an accident. I just inherited when I had three daughters and no sons, so my goal was 1)Get alliances fast and 2)Make sure they were matrilineal, so I could play as the same line. Some shockingly powerful countess in Wales agreed, because she was normal-married to her husband, so it wasn't like her son was of her own dynasty anyhow. I never thought to check her husband, as it was already exactly what I was looking for, and, welp. Turns out her Husband was the heir to Wales. So....... his heir is now matrilineally married to my firstborn daughter, and I doubt anyone can convince his son to drop her, as she's a genius. Meanwhile, my second daughter matrilineally married the third son of Northumbria. The first two brothers died without my intervention by really wanting to be knights and apparently not being very good at it. So that'll now inherit into my dynasty, too. Hopefully their children figure out how to overthrow the Danelaw, so I can have that and Wales as allies I can count on.

If my ruler is intrigue focused, this is what i do. Matrilineally marry off daughters to 2nd/3rd in line for succession, then murder down the succession chain until my dynasty now runs that duchy/kingdom.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One thing that is helping me deal with the succession stuff is to remember that I am supposed to be playing this game as a character, not as me the human user. My ruler has three sons and he isn't going to just care about one because his mind will be transferred into his eldest son's when he dies. He wants all three to be successful. So I play it that way and make sure all my heirs are set up OK.

Then when I play the son, well maybe now I hate one of my brothers because he picked on me or killed my dog or something. So I take his land, but my other brother I'm cool with.

My goal is to have a strong dynasty overall, not just the single character I am playing.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
So I've heard of 'eloping' with other people's spouses. This is a side of seduction/intrigue that I didn't know about. What is the process for eloping?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

So I've heard of 'eloping' with other people's spouses. This is a side of seduction/intrigue that I didn't know about. What is the process for eloping?

I believe the target needs to be your soulmate, so you need to romance them first.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
who does this guy think he is and where'd he get the crown

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

you can rack up enough piety to revive a dead faith by using a faith with Human Sacrifices and killing...a lot of people...

it's easiest as Ásatrú

but yeah something not insanely difficult would be nice

There's something weirdly poetic about reviving a dead faith by murdering hundreds of people.

"When one of you motherfuckers meets Zeus, tell him to have a word with me"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Piell posted:

You can form an Independence faction and ask your liege to let you go, but it's pretty unlikely to work.

Yea that's what I am doing now.

Okay, whats up with everyone getting pissed off at you when you punish family members for doing stuff like murdering their mother, wife, and their own children, or rising up against you to steal your titles and just generally bad stuff?

Oh your cousin murdered your father and then rose up against you to steal your Duchy, but he's family! You can't imprison him!

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

My entire sultanate has exploded into a massive civil war because my previous sultan couldn't keep it in his pants. When he was still my heir, apparently he began sleeping with his brother's (who is the most powerful emir, of course) wife. My sultan dies, and Garsiya II takes the throne. He immediately gets outed for the affair and gives his brother's wife Great Pox. His brother immediately forms a faction against me and then murders me before I even realize what's going on. Now HIS son is trying to rule in a civil war after having his remaining titles other than Toledo partitioned out. rip, Garsiya II ruled from May 30th, 1190 to June 20th, 1190. You've destroyed everything, and I hate you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nobody in this game can keep it in their pants, I hope "AI won't take seduction focus" returns in an early patch. I tire of dying and finding out my son has 73 vengeful lovers.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This is by far my favorite flavor text so far.

Oh...well I guess she must be a bit of a dunce who needs others to do her work for her. It's a shame since she seemed so clever as a child.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kagon posted:

My entire sultanate has exploded into a massive civil war because my previous sultan couldn't keep it in his pants. When he was still my heir, apparently he began sleeping with his brother's (who is the most powerful emir, of course) wife. My sultan dies, and Garsiya II takes the throne. He immediately gets outed for the affair and gives his brother's wife Great Pox. His brother immediately forms a faction against me and then murders me before I even realize what's going on. Now HIS son is trying to rule in a civil war after having his remaining titles other than Toledo partitioned out. rip, Garsiya II ruled from May 30th, 1190 to June 20th, 1190. You've destroyed everything, and I hate you.

It's funny how often the most impactful rulers are the ones that have the shortest reigns. You can have someone on the throne for 60 years and have everything mostly be stable and boring but a couple short reigns in a row will really shake things up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
War score contribution is loving broken and I hate it.

An ally called me to help put down an uprising of his. So I did. I captured the enemy commander in battle, and thereby won the war. Singlehandedly. My war contribution "0%". The gently caress it is. I did literally everything you scumbag game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

An ally called me to help put down an uprising of his. So I did. I captured the enemy commander in battle, and thereby won the war. Singlehandedly. My war contribution "0%". The gently caress it is. I did literally everything you scumbag game.

Yeah I think there's a bug with intervening with civil wars like this where you always get 0 war contribution no matter what you do. It works fine when you help them against external enemies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

It's unlocked by a trait in the Chivalry path, so you need to get that. Then you need the target to actually like you via seduce or romance schemes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm not sure if it's that war score is actually broken, or if it's just that the tooltips are broken. When I joined a few crusades, I got a message at the end saying that my contribution was 0%, but it was close to 100% before the war ended, and my beneficiary got the kingdom, so clearly the game must have registered that I was doing stuff.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hellioning posted:

It's unlocked by a trait in the Chivalry path, so you need to get that. Then you need the target to actually like you via seduce or romance schemes.

I don't think you actually need Chivalry, Chivalry just boosts it a lot. Based on what's on the wiki, anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Apparently the cheat menu option to make a woman pregnant is actually you impregnating them. So because I when i got my daughter pregnant because she's married to the king of bavaria who is chase, i really got my daughter pregnant.

Oops.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Apparently the cheat menu option to make a woman pregnant is actually you impregnating them. So because I when i got my daughter pregnant because she's married to the king of bavaria who is chase, i really got my daughter pregnant.

Oops.

Lmao

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eej posted:

There's no easy way to directly compare actual military strength but when a move order will lead to a battle you'll often see a minus, plus or something else that you can highlight and it will tell you the general likelihood of winning. Aside from that you can look at the battle itself and see the various bonuses you and your opponent have.

Those indicators frequently nonsense though. I have semi-routinely had it tell me I would Lose Decisively, when it was obvious I would win handily (and I did).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think you actually need Chivalry, Chivalry just boosts it a lot. Based on what's on the wiki, anyway.

It is a bit confusing and I've never done it but from what the wiki explains to elope you need to have already successfully romanced them, so you won't see the option until you've already made them your soulmate. I would assume you also need to be unmarried, I don't know if this is also required for your target.

PittTheElder posted:

Those indicators frequently nonsense though. I have semi-routinely had it tell me I would Lose Decisively, when it was obvious I would win handily (and I did).

Yeah I think it bases this just based on an evaluation of positive and negative factors but it's not actually crunching the numbers on it. So if you have a small army of entirely MAA and they have double your numbers in pure levies, it might call that "even" because it sees "you have the advantage of higher quality of troops, they have the advantage of more troops", even though in practice the MAA army will absolutely annihilate the other one.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 13, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This had the effect of the King of Bavaria imprisoning my daughter and then burning her at the stake, which gave me a good reason to declare independence, still feel bad. My poor homely shy daughter.

BTW as time marches on, do peoples clothing and such change? Because people dressed way differently in the 12th century than they did in the 9th.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
People weren't kidding with Ally AI in wars.... I haven't had too many problems when it's one war.... I've found the Allies actually make some reasonably intelligent maneuvers. But what's completely loving inexcusable is when you have multiple wars in different parts of the continent, and you call some allies to one war, and some to another war, they don't loving UNDERSTAND what war they're a part of, and whoever couldn't catch that has a lot of explaining to do.