Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

geforce rtx 3060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres no way I beat the preorders for a PS5 so Ill have to wait until next year at the earliest to have one

Col. Mugsy
Jul 20, 2014

Between having a disc drive, running old games at 4k and Microsoft's comments about two years of forward compatibility, the One X I already own seems like a better next gen machine than the Series S. I'll probably grab a Series X at some point, but not until the second half of the generation.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I figure I'll get a PS5 in a couple years when they do the first design refresh, and hopefully results in a console that doesn't look so loving ugly.

Thought maybe I'd get an XBox this gen to catch up on titles I missed from XBox One... but looks like it's basically just Halo and Rare Replay?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

After looking through the list of games included with the console game pass I gotta admit I sort of want to preorder a series x now. There are a lot of games in that list that I haven't played but want to.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Barudak posted:

Theres no way I beat the preorders for a PS5 so Ill have to wait until next year at the earliest to have one

They are planning 10 million units by the end of the year.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
how many 3080s they makin tho

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

how many 3080s they makin tho

All of them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are going to be really hard to get or at least founders ones at msrp will be

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
PS5 for me coupled with keeping my 2080ti until games actually need the boosted power to do 1440p with max settings and ray tracing. I game from a couch with my PC connected to my TV so 60fps is fine. I don’t play competitive multiplayer, so yeah.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

They are planning 10 million units by the end of the year.

Japanese fiscal, ending in march, not calendar I thought.

I'm also in Japan which I don't think is gonna be where most shipments go and where I expect some insane gouging to happen.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Barudak posted:

Japanese fiscal, ending in march, not calendar I thought.

I'm also in Japan which I don't think is gonna be where most shipments go and where I expect some insane gouging to happen.

Nope it’s suppose to be 10 mil by end of December. Of course with Covid who knows what will happen with logistics but there are suppose to be 5 million by September and another 5 million sometime between October and December.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Col. Mugsy posted:

Between having a disc drive, running old games at 4k and Microsoft's comments about two years of forward compatibility, the One X I already own seems like a better next gen machine than the Series S. I'll probably grab a Series X at some point, but not until the second half of the generation.

I think the definition of 'next gen' should based on two things: 1.) Supports ray tracing and 2.) supports quick resume. I don't think 4k output alone is enough to put something in this category, otherwise I'd agree the XB1X is just fine. Now the Series S having somewhat different quick resume speed (i think?) throws a wrench into my argument, so I'm curious how fast the SX will be in comparison.

I'll likely get a Series X as I prefer the xbox controllers for cross-plat's and gamepass, and save for the PS5. The existence of DeS as a launch title may gently caress this plan up, though. I recently just went to a 2070s from a 970, so I'm hopefully ready for CP2049, unless my old rear end i7 3770 can't cut it. But then again, if ray tracing really does make that big of a difference, I might buy that for XBSX. Jesus christ these acronyms.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 13, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Real hurthling! posted:

They are going to be really hard to get or at least founders ones at msrp will be

Why do people buy the founders edition cards? They are always at stock clock speed and usually have some terrible gimmick that makes them suck compared to the cards that come out a couple months later.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

idk but this one has a super expensive looking cooler on it that no 3rd party is going to fit under msrp

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

idk but this one has a super expensive looking cooler on it that no 3rd party is going to fit under msrp

Yeah I think this FE looks a lot better this year.

On the face of it it also looks as though they have put a lot of thought into the cooling solution.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How many people in this thread are gonna pre-order? I'll out myself.

Getting a ps5 too though probably. What I get first might come down to what I can actually find stock for.

I'll be getting the X.

I keep thinking I'll eventually get a PS as well. But didn't end up getting one last time around. I just have more than enough to play between the xbox and the switch. If I do, it will be after HZD2 comes out.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I wish they would stop with the two tier level of console as it does hurt development.

One of the things that developers kind of liked back in the XBox 360, PS3 days is that you had a known system. Every processor the same, the amount of memory the same, for everyone on that platform. With this in mind you could tailor your coding around that. Over time developers would come up with new techniques to get better looking games on the same system.

This has been one of the issues of making PC games. Who do you aim for? what specs are you wanting people to have and you need to code for millions of combinations of hardware.

But now we have consoles with variations on hardware which is a pain in the rear end once again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

I wish they would stop with the two tier level of console as it does hurt development.

One of the things that developers kind of liked back in the XBox 360, PS3 day

God drat cmon

The loving Xbox 360 launched with 2 SKUs, one that didn't have a hard drive. You're talking crazy!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
yeah but the 360 had one dev target of the same spec and just assuming no hdd

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Very few games are on a single platform these days, though. In a lot of cases you're already accounting for the puny Switch along with PC etc.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The success of stuff like the Pixel 3a has demonstrated there's a very large subset of consumers out there who actively want upgrades but don't necessarily care about being on the bleeding edge of tech and aren't interested in (or in a lot of cases capable of) paying a premium to do so.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Xbox 360 'two' sku mainly affected arcade games because there was an arbitrary limit on the digital download games (file size) for the first few years.

The DVD player read stuff so much faster than the blu Ray player so you didn't need to install stuff. Only a few games at the end of the Gen required installs, the biggest being Halo 4.

It did cause that Microsoft was afraid of putting up full game downloads for years though.

The no HD 360 was really stupid though.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Toaster Beef posted:

The success of stuff like the Pixel 3a has demonstrated there's a very large subset of consumers out there who actively want upgrades but don't necessarily care about being on the bleeding edge of tech and aren't interested in (or in a lot of cases capable of) paying a premium to do so.

Bringing up the Pixel 3a is funny. Apple released the new iPhone SE a few months ago, and it's another example of this new "premium-budget" class of consumer devices that are increasingly popping up.

The SE has a worse battery, worse screen, worse camera... but they're all good enough for most non-enthusiast people and the internals are basically the same as phones triple or quadruple the price. I don't know how I can recommend an 11 or 11 Pro to most people I know. I feel that way about the Series S, too.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Zerot posted:

Bringing up the Pixel 3a is funny. Apple released the new iPhone SE a few months ago, and it's another example of this new "premium-budget" class of consumer devices that are increasingly popping up.

The SE has a worse battery, worse screen, worse camera... but they're all good enough for most non-enthusiast people and the internals are basically the same as phones triple or quadruple the price. I don't know how I can recommend an 11 or 11 Pro to most people I know. I feel that way about the Series S, too.

I tend to agree with your points here, and I think iPhone SE is (to me) surprisingly analogous to Series S.

I sold my iPhone 11 and bought an iPhone SE because it has updated internals, will get support/os updates for 5+ years, and fits in my child-like presidential hands, while also being what I consider a reasonable price for a smartphone. Fundamentally, I don't care about the additional value-adds of the 11 and 11 Pro in terms of screen/resolution/cameras.

Series S makes sense similarly: get a new device and catch up on all the internals (CPU, ports, bus speeds), get support/compatibility for 5-10 years, but target 1080p and be significantly more affordable. The value add of the Series X is 4K resolution and 4K blu rays, which I am not prepared to upgrade my TV setup since half the time I use it for watching DVD-quality-at-best horror schlock.

And much like Microsoft, Apple called the second iPhone SE the iPhone SE

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The lack of being able to do One X backwards compatibility mode on the Series S is a huge bummer though. Many (most?) of those Xbone titles can't hit 1080p at all, nevermind the benefits of supersampling. So even for my 1080p TV setup, the Series S is a lot less compelling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What does the X do for BC games besides run at 4k and increase frame rate? They said the S will have its own enhancements, so I'd assume it would also run games at better frame rates.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When people say "bc" with regards to the Series S they're not just talking about 360 and OG Xbox games, but Xbox One games as well. The One X version of HITMAN2 runs at full 4K, while the One S version struggles to hit 900p. According to the information we have currently, the Series S will be running the One S version of HITMAN2, resolution restrictions included. That's pretty disappointing for a brand new machine.

It's also possible that changes are made that allow the One S versions of Xbox One games to be visually improved to at least 1080p, but that seems unlikely and every piece of information we're received from Microsoft makes it seem that this isn't in the plans.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

What does the X do for BC games besides run at 4k and increase frame rate? They said the S will have its own enhancements, so I'd assume it would also run games at better frame rates.

I’m not sure that statement refers to new enhancements. I think that’s referring to stuff where with BC games it also applies on a regular Xbox One (where at least some games have more consistent performance than on an actual Xbox 360).

For Xbox One games, it could mean you have the super-basic boosts you get on a One X when you run a game that isn’t patched for it, like how dynamic res games that struggle to hit the upper resolution and 30fps might be “locked” on the S, but without actually going past 900p or 1080p or whatever.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 13, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
They've talked about the Series X potentially running unpatched One games at up to 4k using similar upscaling methods to running og Xbox and 360 games at 4k. Also potentially doubling framerate caps to run some that were hard limited at 30 at 60.

So on the Series S at minimum many One games may run smoother if they weren't hitting the framerate cap, and may run at 1080p if they used a dynamic scaler.

Then if it gets some of the Series X back compat improvements above may run higher (maybe at 1440p who knows?) and get sampled down.

Also we have no idea how good the hardware upscaler is so they may end up looking better after being run through that.

Will be real interesting to see how that all works out at 1080p output and 4k.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

For some games they uprezzed textures, included higher rez cut scenes etc.
Final Fantasy 13 for example. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-final-fantasy-13-back-compat-analysis

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

doingitwrong posted:

For some games they uprezzed textures, included higher rez cut scenes etc.
Final Fantasy 13 for example. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-final-fantasy-13-back-compat-analysis

wonder if they had to get permission. cause idk that they would for something like mgsv.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Akuma posted:

Very few games are on a single platform these days, though. In a lot of cases you're already accounting for the puny Switch along with PC etc.

they werent in that gen either, more targets still means more work. also theres a large amount of multiplats that ignore the switch which will be esp true with the next gen titles.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21436006/microsoft-xbox-xcloud-game-list-pass-ultimate-streaming

With xCloud supporting most of the first party games, I'm trying to figure out why I would get an Xbox Series X over just streaming it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Huh, thought it would be the entire catalog

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

god this blows posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21436006/microsoft-xbox-xcloud-game-list-pass-ultimate-streaming

With xCloud supporting most of the first party games, I'm trying to figure out why I would get an Xbox Series X over just streaming it.

Cos game streaming is poo poo?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
As companies hammer out the tech I think streaming will be a viable replacement for console-based stuff, but I don't think we're there yet. I was on the Stadia test run (it's how I played Assassin's Creed: Odyssey) and enjoyed the hell out of it, but you absolutely do deal with latency, compression artifacts, etc., and my understanding is that xCloud's streaming is some measure worse than Stadia's.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

god this blows posted:

These games are running on Xbox One S blades.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

god this blows posted:

The streaming experience is definitely worse. That doesn't mean XCloud is a worthless product, but if you care about fancy graphics and low latency you'll want to be running it locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are they letting xCloud games stream to XBOX One models :thunk: