Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just spitballing here, but coconut flour would probably be good in cassava cake. Or any cassava-based dessert thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm looking to try making a roast lamb (visiting family and trying to come up with interesting things to cook to keep the vacation interesting). I've found recipes like this https://food52.com/recipes/14721-pomegranate-roast-lamb, the only problem is the wine. My step dad is a recovering alcoholic and avoids anything with wine in it (even if it's been aggressively cooked off) and since I don't, as a rule, question recovering alcoholics on such matters, I'm wondering what would be the best substitute in this case and in general (I seem to be on a French kick this week so this is a recurring problem).

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

captkirk posted:

I'm looking to try making a roast lamb (visiting family and trying to come up with interesting things to cook to keep the vacation interesting). I've found recipes like this https://food52.com/recipes/14721-pomegranate-roast-lamb, the only problem is the wine. My step dad is a recovering alcoholic and avoids anything with wine in it (even if it's been aggressively cooked off) and since I don't, as a rule, question recovering alcoholics on such matters, I'm wondering what would be the best substitute in this case and in general (I seem to be on a French kick this week so this is a recurring problem).

Could you get non alcoholic wine/grape juice to sub in?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Since its for a marinade the alcohol might change the way its absorbed? Non alcoholic cooking wine would be a good try. Grape juice might still work if it isn't a sugary kind; it was popularized as non alcoholic wine originally. And it would probably taste good with the pomegranate too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Does anyone have problems with a little bald spot in the center of things when frying/deep frying breaded foods? Am I just not breading thoroughly enough? They look fine before I fry them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Maybe grape juice and some vinegar?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I also don't cook with alcohol. In that recipe, I would sub pomegranate juice with a shot of lemon, or if you're lazy, broth.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
See if you can find verjus near you! It’s unfermented wine essentially, juice from wine grapes that doesn’t get fermented. Same acidity and flavor, as far as cooking with it goes. Anything called “cooking wine” is generally gonna be salty enough to be unpalatable to drink, which means you shouldn’t cook with it either.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I used to have a recipe bookmarked for chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker that didn't use cream of chicken soup and tarted with half a chicken. It had lots of basil in it. My son destroyed out old laptop on accident so i can't just go pull it up, and it seems to have disappeared off the face of the internet. Anyone have a good chicken and dumplings recipe for the slow cooker? Nearly all of the ones I find out there use cream of chicken soup, and I generally avoid recipes that call for canned soup.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Why not use dealcoholised wine, it’s quite good these days, and available in most supermarkets...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I kind of tend to wonder if he is so set on no wine that he may be trying to avoid even the taste without alcohol. Like maybe it would trigger him.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

therobit posted:

I kind of tend to wonder if he is so set on no wine that he may be trying to avoid even the taste without alcohol. Like maybe it would trigger him.

It would definitely be something to consider, though I’m not sure how much wine taste would be noticeable in the finished dish. Still, he could be hyper sensitive to it and notice it where someone else wouldn’t.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Maybe you should ask if alcohol free wine is OK. And if so that plus a little hit of vinegar would probably be the closest you are going to get.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Perhaps if it’s that much of an issue, a different recipe might be a better idea? There are plenty of ways to roast delicious lamb that don’t involve wine

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone have problems with a little bald spot in the center of things when frying/deep frying breaded foods? Am I just not breading thoroughly enough? They look fine before I fry them.
Are you dredging with flour, then egg before the breadcrumbs?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yes, I dredge in flour, flip it a little in my hand to get the excess off, dip and roll in egg, make sure to have no dry spots, then bury in bread crumbs and pat with a little force to try and get the crumbs "embedded" in it. Everything seems fine until I fry, but there are tiny (~nickel-sized) bald spots in the center of whatever I'm frying when I flip them over. So far it's happened for tonkatsu and korokke, both when deep frying and in shallow oil.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Couldn't that just be a result of the meat puckering as it cooks?

You could try weighing it down during?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

therobit posted:

Anyone have a good chicken and dumplings recipe for the slow cooker? Nearly all of the ones I find out there use cream of chicken soup, and I generally avoid recipes that call for canned soup.

I know it's not the same but here are two chicken and dumpling casserole recipes I've made and really enjoyed; I figure you could adapt them fairly easily to a slow cooker.

Edit: on double checking, the first recipe includes slow cooker instructions at the bottom, you can apply those to the second recipe too

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The whole milk I bought Sunday was clumpy. I poured it into my cup and it looked like melted ice cream. It wasn't expired, even smelled ok. What the heck!?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s the good bacteria asking if you want yogurt

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Looking for some help or direction on some stuffed shells. I checked the silver spoon book and found nothing. Any suggestions or directions on where to head. Stuffing was ricotta, spinach, mozzarella. Sauce was just basic tomato basil. I just need something to 'spice' it up. Against the creamy filling and acid in the tomato is was kind of flat. Spicy Italian sausage in the filling on the side? Just looking to take this to the next level.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I've wanted to add some oomph to a baked manicotti, which is kind of similar without the spinach, I would make the meat sauce with 6 oz of pepperoni integrated with the 2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes. I would just pulse the onion and pepperoni in a food processor until coarsely ground. Typically I would add a pound of beef as well, but I think the pepperoni and some red pepper flakes integrated into the stuffing would really help contrast all that creaminess in your shells.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

sterster posted:

Looking for some help or direction on some stuffed shells. I checked the silver spoon book and found nothing. Any suggestions or directions on where to head. Stuffing was ricotta, spinach, mozzarella. Sauce was just basic tomato basil. I just need something to 'spice' it up. Against the creamy filling and acid in the tomato is was kind of flat. Spicy Italian sausage in the filling on the side? Just looking to take this to the next level.

I made something similar recently with a similar result and you probably just need to add a lot more garlic. (Or it turns out you don't like creamy stuff with red pasta sauce, and that's ok.)

If garlic isn't your thing, try any of the following: brown some meat of some kind (sausage sounds great) for the sauce, add some cinnamon to your sauce, be sure the filling has enough spices in it, add some red pepper flakes, increase the amount of tomato paste in your sauce, add some other veggies like roasted bell peppers or sautéed mushrooms.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my friend gave me some peaches from his orchard but i'm allergic to pitted/stone fruits unless they're processed or cooked in some way that removes whatever the gently caress makes my throat itch and swell up when i eat them.

what can i do with these peaches that isn't a nightmare amount of work and also won't annoy my throat?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my friend gave me some peaches from his orchard but i'm allergic to pitted/stone fruits unless they're processed or cooked in some way that removes whatever the gently caress makes my throat itch and swell up when i eat them.

what can i do with these peaches that isn't a nightmare amount of work and also won't annoy my throat?

The lowest effort way to cook peaches is to halve them, remove the pit, and either bake, grill, or broil them, but I don't know if that's "done" enough to address your allergy issue.
The lowest effort way to cook the everloving poo poo out of them is boil them with some additional sugar and blend them into a sauce or the base for a jam. (Probably a freezer jam.)

Personally, I'd find someone who isn't allergic to give them to, because that's both less effort and lower risk.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Cook them into a compote and serve them over pancakes?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hi-five stone fruit allergy buddy.

A peach crisp is where it's at for low-effort baked good.

2 sliced peaches
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tbs butter, cold
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Scale the recipe for however many peaches you want to do. Spices are negotiable, so use whatever you have.

Oven to 375.
Layer peaches in the bottom of a baking dish.
Mix together all other ingredients in a suitably sized bowl until well incorporated, then spread it over top of the peaches.
Bake for ~30 minutes or until the top is a golden brown.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That recipe seems right up my alley. If it doesn't work for my allergies, my wife and kid can eat it.

Do I need to peel the peaches?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

On that note, do you all prefer cobblers or crisps and why?

I love cobbler. When I was in the club scouts there was an older boy scout who was the older brother of a girl in my class. When he was working on his boy scout badges he would help with our campouts. He would always make this campfire-cooked cobbler recipe using canned peaches. I haven't had it in ages and I now have no idea if it is truly good or not, but at the time I thought it was awesome. We still put his hand in a bowl of warm water though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

therobit posted:

On that note, do you all prefer cobblers or crisps and why?

I love cobbler. When I was in the club scouts there was an older boy scout who was the older brother of a girl in my class. When he was working on his boy scout badges he would help with our campouts. He would always make this campfire-cooked cobbler recipe using canned peaches. I haven't had it in ages and I now have no idea if it is truly good or not, but at the time I thought it was awesome. We still put his hand in a bowl of warm water though.

Cobbler if the dough is right, but so many people use awful wimpy dough. Crisp seems easier to get right, and checks all the boxes for me as long as there are enough oats. (I like carbs with my carbs.)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love cobbler, but to make a good cobbler, you also have to be able to make good biscuits. That takes work, and so I generally go with a crisp because I'd rather invest my cooking time into other dishes, and let dessert be easy.

That recipe seems right up my alley. If it doesn't work for my allergies, my wife and kid can eat it.

Do I need to peel the peaches?

Peeling peaches is a personal choice. I don't. I know a lot of people who do. Personally, the skin of a peach doesn't throw me off when it's cooked, and having the extra fiber makes me feel less guilty about eating a sugar/butter/fruit dessert. In terms of allergy, the skin of the peach doesn't set me off any more than the rest of it does, and once it's cooked it doesn't bother me at all.

FYI, if you don't already know this - the allergy that causes you to be allergic to stone fruit is an allergy to a particular protein that is also present in a lot of tree pollen. When white birch is putting out pollen, I'm much more sensitive to peaches/cherries/apricots than I am during the fall and winter months when I can eat them raw 70% of the time with no problem. If I try to do that in May, when my histamine system is already freaking out, it feels like the roof of my mouth and my gums are trying to itch their way out of my face.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got a free pass to miss allergy season by wearing n95 and p100 masks all the time this year (and not going outside ofc) and i took it lol

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
what do y'all use to store/organize your recipes? i've been placing successful recipes on google keep which works well bc i can trivially mix in things i photograph from cookbooks, things i find online and things i write down, but i'd like something more well organized

do i have to make a pinterest

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I write my recipes down in a little notebook. It has contents and page numbers and everything. A little rustic but it's nostalgic to see the date on a recipe and remember when I first tried it :3:

Sidenote: My grandparents are cleaning out the house, and my grandmother found a collection of meal plans from back when she hosted a lot of parties. It was actually really interesting to see what they did in the 70's especially since my grandma hasn't willingly cooked a meal for the last thirty years :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

KoldPT posted:

what do y'all use to store/organize your recipes? i've been placing successful recipes on google keep which works well bc i can trivially mix in things i photograph from cookbooks, things i find online and things i write down, but i'd like something more well organized

I organize it this way because one day I want to import it all into a real database, but it works for now. We keep a kind of a journal by just emailing each other the recipe plan for the week before we go do groceries, and if we ever care to add photos we can just search email for the recipe name and use that timestamp to look through our photo rolls.

I used to use pepperplate but then they went paid only

effika
Jun 19, 2005

KoldPT posted:

I like OneNote; I have notebooks set up for different stuff (eg desserts, mains, breads) I can categorize/tag/add notes/add photos etc as needed.

Before technology I kept a 3-ring binder with recipes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whenever I get a recipe I really like, I type it out by hand in Notepad++ and then print it out and put it in a binder.

Notepad++ is great because it time stamps documents when you print them so it helps me remember when I started using it.

I absolutely need a paper recipe in a kitchen.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

KoldPT posted:

I use Evernote. Each recipe is in the relevant category (baked goods, flatbreads, soups/stews/dals/curries, stir fries, condiments, pickles and preserves, etc.) and is tagged with the ingredients and the cuisine. This is nice because if I want to make a French stew with beets I can search in the stew category for anything with the tags "France" and "beets," and so on. Quite handy, although obviously getting everything into Evernote is not effortless depending on the source.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just use Google Drive. If I'm trying an online recipe for the first time, I'll just read it off the website. If I like the results enough to try it again, I'll copy and reword it into my own "house style" (all dry ingredients separate from all wet ingredients, all measurements converted to weights, etc) and save it to a Google Doc. I've thought about digging one of my old phones out of the closet and converting it into a full time wall-mounted recipe book but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

KoldPT posted:

I've been using paprika. It's not free and in a way it doesn't do a lot more than a normal note program, but the function to import recipes from webpages works extremely well to the point where it's worth it just for that.