Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Off the top of my head, my top 5 this year:

01. Kentucky Route Zero
02. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Patch 5.3
03. Final Fantasy VII Remake
04. Crusader Kings III
05. Wide Ocean Big Jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

do we know how backwards the ps5's backwards compatibility is yet or is it still murky? i don't think they even confirmed or denied it would play ps4 games in the announcement iirc?

they 100% confirmed it would play ps4 games lol its got full ps4 bc thats literally the only thing theyve ever said about it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It will play PS4 games. What if any enhancements you get who knows but thats what they said. PS4 games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they also said games will run with enhancements but what those are arent announced but probably just t he same as what youd expect with res/frame rate stuff

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d buy a PS5 for a smooth Bloodborne

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Barudak posted:

You got me super worried so I looked it up and no, it looks like the ending is solely tied to weather you upgrade your main attack or not.

oh my bad, that's good to know

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Stux posted:

they also said games will run with enhancements but what those are arent announced but probably just t he same as what youd expect with res/frame rate stuff

I expect resolution/framerate buffs but it's not impossible they could do some kind of compatibility mode that matches the original version too closely.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm I’ve only played two 2020 games this year, someone suggest a third so that I have something for the GotY thread

Hylics 2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm I’ve only played two 2020 games this year, someone suggest a third so that I have something for the GotY thread

What 2020 games have you bought but not played?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Why did the bouncer let the Japanese demon into the club even though the demon didn't have his ID?

He knew the demon was a-ok.

This is an incredible joke but I don't think it works in text.

Edit: More accurate to say it is an incredible punchline. I know the joke needs work.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just noticed no one voted for david crossup in the poll.

Too insular of a joke to land I guess

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Better insular than insulate!

hey thanks everyone alright have a good no seriously i can't please

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just remembered that you can pit Cloud against Sans and Sonic in a Nintendo first party product now and am feeling some kind of existential crisis

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was reading through the reviews of Star Renegades and someone said to watch the game trailer and I wasn't sure why, so I doubled back over to it. Looking through it, there's like...a TON of stuff in the trailer that was completely cut from the game. And this isn't an early access game, this is a full release where the game's trailer and store page has a significant amount of cut content.

For example, there's 11 commander groups in the trailer. The final game has three. The story trailer also has reveals who the Mother character is that all the enemies talk about, and that character is entirely cut from the game also. Which like...SEEMS like a big deal because they're supposed to be the big main bad guy, whereas now the final boss of a run is semi-randomized. There's also a non-linear objective system in the UI, where you need to "Capture 3 AA guns" and also "Defeat 2 Lackey Squads," and any form of objectives are totally absent from the game and planet exploration is now "The boss shows up in three days get ready." Just really strange, but I guess this is kind of why the game feels so haphazard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was reading through the reviews of Star Renegades and someone said to watch the game trailer and I wasn't sure why, so I doubled back over to it. Looking through it, there's like...a TON of stuff in the trailer that was completely cut from the game. And this isn't an early access game, this is a full release where the game's trailer and store page has a significant amount of cut content.

For example, there's 11 commander groups in the trailer. The final game has three. The story trailer also has reveals who the Mother character is that all the enemies talk about, and that character is entirely cut from the game also. Which like...SEEMS like a big deal because they're supposed to be the big main bad guy, whereas now the final boss of a run is semi-randomized. There's also a non-linear objective system in the UI, where you need to "Capture 3 AA guns" and also "Defeat 2 Lackey Squads," and any form of objectives are totally absent from the game and planet exploration is now "The boss shows up in three days get ready." Just really strange, but I guess this is kind of why the game feels so haphazard

ooh yikes, I bought this game a few days ago but have yet to get around to playing it. Reading this though, I went ahead and just requested a refund. I wonder why people are not making more of a deal out of this on Steam, this is typically the sort of thing that blows up massively on there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

anxiety.jpg

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
crushed by my own gamer tower is how I want to go

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The coward put the nonfunctioninging X and S on top.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Relax Or DIE posted:

crushed by my own gamer tower is how I want to go

also when it happens the 'PANCAKE!' voice line from unreal tournament 2k4 plays

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvxE6IUCPxU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I knew something felt wrong about that game and especially the overworld wandering. Like a sense of "why am I doing things this way?"

Now I'm slightly annoyed 'cause I'm way out of refund territory :mad:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Macaluso posted:

Bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That reminds me of those people that went out and bought consoles at the PS4 launch only to smash them up for youtube clout, I wonder if we'll get more of those

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmoMPK58o7o

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9EMbkvLBQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beat Wasteland 3 this morning. It was... all right! Let's look at 2020 so far:

- Eliza
- Bloodborne
- Wolcen
- Doom Eternal
- Control: Foundation DLC
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Streets of Rage 4
- Final Fantasy X
- Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath DLC
- Maneater
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PC)
- Control: AWE DLC
- Wasteland 3

Next Up: Attempting to slam-buy an RTX 3080 this week.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Off the top of my head, my top 5 this year:

01. Kentucky Route Zero
02. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Patch 5.3
03. Final Fantasy VII Remake
04. Crusader Kings III
05. Wide Ocean Big Jacket

It has not been a super busy year but I've used that to finally get around to Shadowbringers, which is great. So glad I had to wait like, 5 months for 5.3 and not more than a year. I played a LOT of FF14 this year, MMOs just did not fit in my life at all in the past and when we went into the most severe lockdown I just played it nonstop.

-FF7 remake is easily my GOTY. That game brought me so much joy in a very weird year. They not only handled FF7 better than I thought they would, they made me go back and like the original more.

-Doom Eternal: Kinda disappointing imo! I wish I liked it more. I have some really good moments with it and I'll probably go back to it at some point

-Animal Crossing: Jesus this was a weird year, AC was 2020. What a relaxing game. Really loved it and it was great to have this and hang out with friends on our fake islands just around the time we couldn't see people anymore

-Tony Hawk 1+2 is really good, continuing the theme of "this year is weird so sit at home and relive your childhood in an endless summer vacation"

-Ghost of Tsushima: Very pretty. Really nice to just load up and ride around and get a thing. I like the combat, but I wish the stealth had choices that were not press triangle to wipe out an entire battalion. I can tell this is the kind of game I will enjoy a lot and never finish

-Streets of Rage 4: This is a really good Streets of Rage game! If you're in the mood for a side scrolling beatemup this game is like, the best possible example of one I can think of in quite some time.

-Hypnospace Outlaw: I only played it this year and this game is brilliant and hilarious and made specifically for me, the person in their 30s who started posting on forums in the 90s

-Monster Train: I was incredibly addicted to this for like, a month. I would just beat it over and over with every possible color combo and gimmick. I would be on a work call and have this in the background. I couldn't stop. It's good

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

finished horizon zero dawn in the last week. horizon was incredibly good looking but unfortunately incredibly boring to actually play, i played it legit for a few hours then unashamedly just cheated so i could finish the story; i know it's not a controversial opinion but i'm now fully sick of open world games where you have to scavenge dozens of different materials from plants and corpses and craft everything to increase your stats by 3%, i refuse to play any more

i also finished deadly premonition 2, a game where you can scavenge materials around a vague open-world and craft items to improve your stats, from gun reload speed to ball control while bowling. i liked it, kinda, but i think if it were on anything other than the switch i would have liked it a lot more, the technical problems are just a bit too much to ignore. the sidequests aren't as good as the first game, and the rewards for doing them are essentially a big load of nothing, but the cast is just as interesting, even if your interactions with them seem a bit more limited. in some ways it's an upgrade from the first game and a big step down in others...though ultimately it was just nice to spend more time with york, the best character in videogames

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Momodora's difficulty curve is a mig ol bess and I don't like having instadeath pits in my metroidvania at all. It looks like you can eventually buy the the item you get from the first boss at around 75%+ of the game so thats nice but still silly since that item is real real good.

The ability to turn into a cat should have been bound to a dedicated button, the current setup is just silly.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxauM2ND-o

This game looks like someone raided the Unreal Engine Marketplace for stuff that was almost used in some 3DMark benchmark

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That combat doesn't look right but Im here for the way too many clashing bright colors at once aesthetic

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Katty! posted:

finished horizon zero dawn in the last week. horizon was incredibly good looking but unfortunately incredibly boring to actually play, i played it legit for a few hours then unashamedly just cheated so i could finish the story; i know it's not a controversial opinion but i'm now fully sick of open world games where you have to scavenge dozens of different materials from plants and corpses and craft everything to increase your stats by 3%, i refuse to play any more

Everything about HZD is absolutely fan-loving-tastic, except having to stop every 5 seconds to gather medicinal herbs + not knowing what's safe to sell once you're fully unlocked everything.
Frozen Wilds was a pretty dope as well.

Bummed Forbidden West isn't going to be a launch title, but excited to see the continuation of the story as it's some of the best world building I've seen in a long time.

https://i.imgur.com/EnDfTKS.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't wait for Bloomfall: Neon Edition

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh neat, not only did the latest Blasphemous patch provide a full spanish dub but they also redubbed the worst of the english voices

it sucks that it took this game so long to reach its completed state, but it definitely has the best NG+ i've seen in a metroidvania so far. finally, one that lets you retain your movement/exploration powerups so i can just beeline for all the goodies i've already found

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Everything about HZD is absolutely fan-loving-tastic, except having to stop every 5 seconds to gather medicinal herbs + not knowing what's safe to sell once you're fully unlocked everything.

Bummed Forbidden West isn't going to be a launch title, but excited to see the continuation of the story as it's some of the best world building I've seen in a long time.

what bit was that twitch from, i don't remember

I'm gearing up to NG+ UH and thinking of playing photo mode fashion Aloy for a bit :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

oh neat, not only did the latest Blasphemous patch provide a full spanish dub but they also redubbed the worst of the english voices

it sucks that it took this game so long to reach its completed state, but it definitely has the best NG+ i've seen in a metroidvania so far. finally, one that lets you retain your movement/exploration powerups so i can just beeline for all the goodies i've already found

I've been interested in that since seeing the wild artwork, but it's always been in the backlog. How's it compared to Hollow Knight, which I kept bouncing right off of despite its beautiful art & settings? (mostly from getting loving lost as hell repeatedly and not having a clue where to go or what to look for - I'm the kind of person who needs a bit of direction to get started. Didn't like the combat much either, attacking never felt right and the hitstun pause was, for some reason, particularly obnoxious)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

what bit was that twitch from, i don't remember

I'm gearing up to NG+ UH and thinking of playing photo mode fashion Aloy for a bit :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVIsD5GpG5c

Hype for FW to improve Aloy's hair as well

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Infinitum posted:

I never cared about HZD but that expression is perfect. I might jump into the sequel if the models are as expressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVIsD5GpG5c

Hype for FW to improve Aloy's hair as well

omfg i never got that sequence 'cos i did them all at once and i'm so loving mad now