Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lol at 3D audio being lumped in with next gen when X1 introduced a system-level renderer in an update in 2017. how do they keep screwing up their marketing over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eh multiplatform stuff already has to target PS4, Xbone, PCs of all types today. The majority of games that are affected by this are the same ones that are also trying to make sure they stay somewhat stable for the guys with a GTX 780 playing in 1080p (Doom Eternal runs at 60FPS on my GTX 970, a mid-series GPU from 2014)

Like, Cyberpunk 2077 has a PS4 version. That's already going to be much weaker than anything they'll have to downgrade for

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Euphoriaphone posted:

I don’t think people don’t want to admit it?

CharlestheHammer posted:

What? Why would that be implied it makes no sense.

Go back a few pages then. I'm not just pulling this out of my rear end. It's a direct response to the last conversation where I was told it was actually some sort of concerned reaction for people who buy the Xbox S.

Either way lol @ thinking some budget system that is polled at having 8% of the PS4/Xbox market share will have some sort of major impact on games as a whole for the next decade.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Like, Cyberpunk 2077 has a PS4 version. That's already going to be much weaker than anything they'll have to downgrade for
Or, more to the point, it has to run on a launch Xbox One, which was discontinued years ago and superseded by the S.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Akuma posted:

Or, more to the point, it has to run on a launch Xbox One, which was discontinued years ago and superseded by the S.

also it has the wrong ram!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ruffian Price posted:

lol at 3D audio being lumped in with next gen when X1 introduced a system-level renderer in an update in 2017. how do they keep screwing up their marketing over and over

When it comes to the actual console, Microsoft turns into idiots, I don’t know why but it’s consistent

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

veni veni veni posted:

Even though people don't want to admit it, reading most of these posts, it's pretty obvious that all of the handwringing over the S is based in some alarmist logic of "XBOX X games must also run on XBOX S, therefore PS5 games, PC games must run on Xbox S...The gaming industry as a whole will be throttled!!!" which is completely ridiculous.

I mean multiple devs from different companies have stated their concerns about this on twitter but I'm sure you're right.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What are the most popular PS4 fps games, online, other than Fortnite and Warzone? Not much interested in Fortnite and Warzone is making me tear my hair out, so I'd like something else to play with my mates... but not something dead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Windmill Hut posted:

What are the most popular PS4 fps games, online, other than Fortnite and Warzone? Not much interested in Fortnite and Warzone is making me tear my hair out, so I'd like something else to play with my mates... but not something dead.

Fortnight is third person. Apex is first person, Paladins is usually pretty populated (and free and cross-platform) with the bonus that most people that play it are pretty bad and you can win a lot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Windmill Hut posted:

I dunno why but my friend group started playing Apex Legends again which is free and I like it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

Go back a few pages then. I'm not just pulling this out of my rear end. It's a direct response to the last conversation where I was told it was actually some sort of concerned reaction for people who buy the Xbox S.

Either way lol @ thinking some budget system that is polled at having 8% of the PS4/Xbox market share will have some sort of major impact on games as a whole for the next decade.

The S is a nothing product and it's going to be an enormous joke. Any dev that makes games thinking better S this up so the S can run it has done themselves in.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

also it has the wrong ram!!!

this is the first I’m hearing of it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I was playing spelunky and a mammoth shot a UFO with an ice ray and froze it and it fell on my head and killed me, I am absolutely forlorn

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

"yeah but wait but AAA single player games are dead and nobody likes them!!! that's wrong?? oh no oh god we hosed up again"

- the entire video game industry except sony

My man have you heard of Nintendo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Parenting posted:

I mean multiple devs from different companies have stated their concerns about this on twitter but I'm sure you're right.

Their concerns are based in minimum specs, when MS hasn't even stated that every next gen Xbox game for the next 7 years will run it or anything.

On the other hand you read a twitter post so i am sure you're right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

Their concerns are based in minimum specs, when MS hasn't even stated that every next gen Xbox game for the next 7 years will run it or anything.

lol man you can’t do this kind of mocking post when your whole premise is based on hoping that Microsoft didn’t unveil the info thay completely changes things.

You can hope for it if you want but you can’t be smug about it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

I wonder was the years of delays because they had a nightmare getting it running on the base consoles

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I mean that tweet from the Id dev that got posted multiple times said just that, it’s not some unfounded concern, it’s a legitimate thing.

Edit: yeah and this

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wonder was the years of delays because they had a nightmare getting it running on the base consoles

It’s not just ‘some tweets’, like, I’m not sure why you’re trying to downplay the fact that actual triple A devs have stated that the thing you’re saying is silly to worry about is in fact not silly, and the reality. Seems like a weird thing to get repeatedly hostile over.

drat, the Xbox Series X is big a heck, makes me wonder how big the PS5 really is as it’s hard to tell from mockup comparisons. I still like the look of it, minus the small Xbox looking details, but I do like the weird shape, the matte black finish and, aside from the tiny Xbox logo in the corner, it’s basically got nothing else on the faces, like a plain, basic mini ATI case. Am I misremembering or was there a leak or something about the PS5 potentially having swappable face plates or whatever, instead of having different console colors?

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 13, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My 11th-dimensional analysis of CP2077 releasing with the next-gen consoles is because they perform so poorly on base hardware that CDPR needed a "we're sorry, here's your free upgrade" coupon for PSPoor + X-Got None owners.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Like I said, these aren't my guesses based off nothing, these are the concerns of devs who've made games like doom, control, and call of duty

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Just imagine the amount of roaches that can fit in the Series X

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My 11th-dimensional analysis of CP2077 releasing with the next-gen consoles is because they perform so poorly on base hardware that CDPR needed a "we're sorry, here's your free upgrade" coupon for PSPoor + X-Got None owners.

I think they hosed themselves massively committing to the older consoles. I can hardly fathom how bad it's gonna look and run on the original Bone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watching some of you poo poo your pants over the threat of a novelty cheapo xbox will be pretty funny in a year or two. I should bookmark this page.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

Pubg is free now if you have PS+ Rocket League is going free to play in a couple of weeks and is a great game.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The PS4 was originally going to only have 4 GB of RAM and this was changed so late that the Killzone demo they had at the reveal was running on the older spec. I wonder if it had actually come out with 4 GB if people would be whining about the PS4 "holding the industry back".

My man have you heard of Nintendo
:hmmyes:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Watching some of you poo poo your pants over the threat of a novelty cheapo xbox will be pretty funny in a year or two. I should bookmark this page.

Yeah man your not mad, he’ll your laughing

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The only person getting weirdly defensive about it is you dude

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Storm One posted:

The PS4 was originally going to only have 4 GB of RAM and this was changed so late that the Killzone demo they had at the reveal was running on the older spec. I wonder if it had actually come out with 4 GB if people would be whining about the PS4 "holding the industry back".

I will never stop whining about consoles holding the industry back!!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think the biggest thing holding next-gen consoles back is that we haven’t seen a major change to the fundamental design of the controller in over a decade. It’s time for a major change to the way we play these games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This will one day be the future of VR gaming, God willing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone buying cyberpunk for series S will be playing the one S version until the next gen patch comes out sometime next year.

Microsoft confirmed that one X patches won't run on series S since it has less ram.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Uh. If you're releasing a game for the X, it has to run on the S. Unless you mean something else?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t see anyone getting remotely as riled up about it ‘holding back next gen games’ as you have been dismissing this, but okay. Like literally every post about it has simply pointed it out, or posting said tweets, and the most that I’ve said is ‘it’s a shame that the system with no exclusives is the one that has the specs of a current gen console, so it’s unfortunate that this also affects PS5 games that are multi platform, potentially’

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Devs probably won't targeting performance on PS4s, XBones or GTX970s in 2025, but they will be targeting the SeS. It remains to be seen how big a problem that'll be.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Imhotep posted:

I don’t see anyone getting remotely as riled up about it ‘holding back next gen games’ as you have been dismissing this, but okay. Like literally every post about it has simply pointed it out, or posting said tweets, and the most that I’ve said is ‘it’s a shame that the system with no exclusives is the one that has the specs of a current gen console, so it’s unfortunate that this also affects PS5 games that are multi platform, potentially’
It doesn't have the specs of current gen consoles, Jesus.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Akuma posted:

Uh. If you're releasing a game for the X, it has to run on the S. Unless you mean something else?

Has this been officially confirmed anywhere? Are X-only games definitely not a thing?

Imhotep posted:

has the specs of a current gen console

The CPU and SSD alone take it way beyond XboneX, the RAM deficit is probably mitigated by the SSD (but it does impact back-compat). As for the GPU, it's not as clear if the better cores of the S make up for the more cores of the Bone but graphics are more than good enough already so :shrug:

Reminder that both the PS3 and base PS4 are supposedly 2 TF systems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's puzzling to me who or what the series S is for, since the selling point of 1440p/120hz gaming does not really jive with the specs whatsoever. You'll be lucky to hit 30fps on that machine, with current-gen games.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Storm One posted:

Has this been officially confirmed anywhere? Are X-only games definitely not a thing?
Yes. Microsoft maintain that if you're targeting 4k60 for the X, your game can hit 1080p on S with minimal effort. That's the line.

exquisite tea posted:

It's puzzling to me who or what the series S is for, since the selling point of 1440p/120hz gaming does not really jive with the specs whatsoever. You'll be lucky to hit 30fps on that machine, with current-gen games.
The reveal video showed Gears 5 running at 120fps on the S. The situation of the specs of the S is being muddied by people making speculative declarations without any firsthand knowledge.

Other benefits in the video included load times being an order of magnitude faster. The Series line is a step up from the One, even if the Series S doesn't get the 4K features that the One X had - because it's not a 4K machine.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 13, 2020

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

stev posted:

Devs probably won't targeting performance on PS4s, XBones or GTX970s in 2025, but they will be targeting the SeS. It remains to be seen how big a problem that'll be.

How big a problem was it when in 2005 devs were targeting the 90% market share PS2 (half the RAM of an Xbox, omg!) instead of the clearly superior GameCube or Xbox? No problem at all, other than the single console owners being locked out of the exclusives. Same as it ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Storm One posted:

How big a problem was it when in 2005 devs were targeting the 90% market share PS2 (half the RAM of an Xbox, omg!) instead of the clearly superior GameCube or Xbox? No problem at all, other than the single console owners being locked out of the exclusives. Same as it ever was.

That era isn’t a great example as cross play wasn’t exactly that big.

Like over time the distinction between Xbox and PlayStation has shrunk to a handful of exclusives but they are now mostly interchangeable