Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DeathSandwich posted:

I've been curious about playing a bearbarian. Do you start level 1 as a Druid or Barbarian? I know the ultimate goal is Barbarian 5 / Druid 2 then 4 for the bigger nastier beasts. What's the ultimate balance point between Bear and Barain? Stop at level 5 barb and just focus on bigger nastier beasts or is it better off going deep into Barbarian for more/bigger rages and totem features?

Why do you want to go to to 5 barbarian? Extra attack only works with the attack action, not multi attack. So you could take two claw attacks or two bite attacks as a bear, but it already has innate multiattack for a bite+claw.

It's really sweet to turn into a raging bear but you don't get much other than the increased rages/damage from barbarian.

You're obligated to pick pick up 3 levels of barbarian to get totem so you can go bearbearian though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hackan Slash posted:

Why do you want to go to to 5 barbarian? Extra attack only works with the attack action, not multi attack. So you could take two claw attacks or two bite attacks as a bear, but it already has innate multiattack for a bite+claw.

It's really sweet to turn into a raging bear but you don't get much other than the increased rages/damage from barbarian.

You're obligated to pick pick up 3 levels of barbarian to get totem so you can go bearbearian though

Not all beasts have multi-attack, even some notable ones (Giant Sharks if you're on a pirate adventure for example, Rhino/Elephant/Mammoth/Triceratops can gore or stomp, but not both in the same turn.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
A druid leaning Barbearian is actively worse than straight moon druid, at basically everything. With that in mind you should lean heavily into the Barbarian side, and just use the druid bit as a way to have some fun access to utility magic, and some occasional bear morphing as an ersatz emergency combat heal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spikes32 posted:

I need to make a simple character for a player new to dnd to play who is only joining in for one session. Should I just give him a fighter? Lvl 2 so no one is very powerful.

If I do make him a fighter anyone have suggestions for a fun / flavorful backstory / schitck that would help him have some direction on how to play the character? Storm lord's fury if it makes a difference

i would ask them what kind of character they want to play; if they don’t know, fighter is fine, but pretty much any martial at level 2 is going to be simple enough in terms of what they can do that it shouldn’t be too much for a new player to learn

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DeathSandwich posted:

Not all beasts have multi-attack, even some notable ones (Giant Sharks if you're on a pirate adventure for example, Rhino/Elephant/Mammoth/Triceratops can gore or stomp, but not both in the same turn.

This is true, however they're all not bears.

Commitment to the bit is paramount

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah I'm picturing a character who wears big baggy clothing so when they bearshape it still all fits, would rule. I'm not busting my threads to turn into some dumb shark

Maybe I'll dip monk instead of barbarian and just lean in hard on dex when I'm not an animal...

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 10, 2020

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I've been working on a custom background for a game and I ended up deciding to make it a proper writeup for other people to use, so I wanted to get some feedback on it, especially the feature. I'm not sure if it's too much of a just "skip a part of the quest" power. Maybe it would be better to make it some kind of information gathering power like a miniature version of Insightful Manipulator? https://pastebin.com/fBPeDUwU

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Just want to say thanks to everyone who chipped in on explaining the differences between the various forms of spellswords. Gave me a lot to ponder.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
So, my wife and I are having an issue with our current group. It seems like they all want a video game, and we want to explore a bit. As an example, we needed to travel to Luskan to chase down a mcguffin, and when the harbor master in Neverwinter told us there were two boats headed that way, we talked to the captain of the first, and when I said we should talk to the other ship, everyone shouted me down, saying it was a waste of time. I have accepted the fact that we need to separate, but we'd like to keep playing, but aren't sure how to find a different group.

Our current group was started by my brother in law, but he retired from DMing for the same issues( he wasn't having fun that the other players didn't want to be a bit more exploratory).

Basically, is there any advice on finding new games in particular areas? We're both very used to D&D, but when I've googled, I haven't found much, which seems odd, considering I'm in a major metropolitan area. Makes me feel I'm googling wrong.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Imasalmon posted:

Basically, is there any advice on finding new games in particular areas? We're both very used to D&D, but when I've googled, I haven't found much, which seems odd, considering I'm in a major metropolitan area. Makes me feel I'm googling wrong.

I've found a place in a couple of really good campaigns from facebook groups organising D&D tables in my city, that might be a better place to start looking?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Imasalmon posted:

So, my wife and I are having an issue with our current group. It seems like they all want a video game, and we want to explore a bit. As an example, we needed to travel to Luskan to chase down a mcguffin, and when the harbor master in Neverwinter told us there were two boats headed that way, we talked to the captain of the first, and when I said we should talk to the other ship, everyone shouted me down, saying it was a waste of time. I have accepted the fact that we need to separate, but we'd like to keep playing, but aren't sure how to find a different group.

Our current group was started by my brother in law, but he retired from DMing for the same issues( he wasn't having fun that the other players didn't want to be a bit more exploratory).

What's the rest of the group saying they should do when they shut down your idea for going to luskan? Are you guys just doing like one-off bounty hunter stuff or is there some sort of arc?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Get your brother-in-law to start a new campaign for you and your wife.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you're willing to be creative, online spaces might be a good fit.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Our Sunday group rotates DMs and it's about to be my turn again. I want to run a series of one-shots/5 room dungeons in the format of a police vice squad in Waterdeep. I am thinking of the trope of some grumpy sergeant who sends out their loose cannon characters to investigate various stuff and then when they finish he yells at them for using excessive force, tampering with evidence, incorrect procedure, etc.

Hoping to keep this funny and light, but I'm actually pretty lovely at homebrewing one shots. Does anyone know of a supplement or module(s) that would fit this "cop" vibe?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

DeathSandwich posted:

What's the rest of the group saying they should do when they shut down your idea for going to luskan? Are you guys just doing like one-off bounty hunter stuff or is there some sort of arc?

They didn't oppose going to Luskan, they opposed checking out the other ship that was also headed there. They just said I was wasting time, since "this boat seems fine. Why bother asking the other boat captain anything?" We're on an arc, trying to get revenge against a cult that trashed our keep.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've found a place in a couple of really good campaigns from facebook groups organising D&D tables in my city, that might be a better place to start looking?

Thanks, I'll try that!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nelson posted:

Get your brother-in-law to start a new campaign for you and your wife.
Seriously you've got 3 people who want the same game. Even if you do grab more people invite the BIL.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Last week was our "session zero" where we asked questions, rolled up stat tables, and other things, such as average or rolled hp and so on.

We decided on someone can choose between rolled or average hp but need to pick ahead of time. I decided I'm going to do average because when I rolled I had 40 hp but average would've given me 54 (at level 7 for the oneshot anyways). Me and my friend who I brought into the group decided on average largely because we both think we're just more likely than not to get utterly hosed on rolls.

Everyone stat rolls, the way it works is we all roll a stat line and then we vote on the one to use. We rolled using (4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3)

quote:

10/8/15/16/12/8 (Rob's btw)
14 13 14 13 9 10
12/13/3/10/12/16 (THE DM AND ROB VOTED FOR THIS ONE)
12 15 15 16 10 10
11 14 9 14 11 14

Oh except I was a little late, so I arrived and rolled:

quote:

16,8, 13, 14, 18, 11

Saving the day from someone having a 3 as a dump stat. IIRC I rolled up basically the elite point buy array? Hell yeah. :cool:

(This DOES however mean that all enemies (or at least bosses and hirelings) use our stats, while if we had a more terrible stat array the enemies stat array would also be terrible and we'd have more opportunities for stat improving items)

Then we got to pick from the list below for items:

quote:

Choose one from the Following List
Upgrade one of your Superior weapons to Masterwork
Weapon of Warning
Wand of the War Mage, +1
+1 Weapon
Staff of the Python (Variants: Giant Elk, Sabre Toothed Tiger, Giant Boar, Rhino)
Full Quiver of +1 Ammo
Mithril Armor
Adamantine Armor
Shield +1
Sentinel Shield
Boots of Elvenkind
Cloak of Protection
Pearl of Power
Hat of Disguise
Periapt of Health
Full Deck of Illusions
Weapon of Returning (Or a Quiver of Returning Ammunition)
Alchemy Jug
------Choose Two from the Following List (Weapons can be combined with those above but each effect still counts as a pick)-----------------
Moon Touched Weapon
Silvered Weapon
Vicious Weapon
Weapon of Vengeance
Ruby of the War Mage
Enduring Spellbook
Horn of Silent Alarm
Clockwork Amulet
Whalloping Ammo
Armor of Gleaming
Candle of the Deep
Cloak of Billowing
Cloak of Many Fashions
Hat of Wizardry
Pole of Angling
Pot of Awakening
Bag of Holding

I went with the Clockwork Amulet and a Whalloping (Superior) Greatsword of Returning.

The Superior quality on the weapon table meant it's exactly 5 lbs and deals 2d8 slashing damage. Combined with Catapults 3d8 bludgeoning is a total of 5d8 damage with a DC 10 strength check or they get knocked down and it comes back to me. I basically have Thor's Hammer (IF, it hits).

I would've really liked the Wand of the War Mage for the +1 to hit but it was that or the Returning aspect and the Returning Aspect makes the build's action economy a lot better.

DM has said he's generous with Mold Earth so I can probably rely on it as long as I'm not doing anything cheesy. My main use case is to make an obstacle/cover to stay behind so I try to avoid being sniped by archers.

I've also been told I think I mentioned this but just in case, the following Sorcerer options are also available to me from UA:
-I can switch a spell with a long rest.
-I can spend 2 points for advantage on a check (how is this not way better than charm person?)
-Embueing Touch, I think I can spend however many points, I think its 1? And make something magical for the sake of damage. So I'll likely use this on my greatsword.

We did backgrounds but my character is young so mine didn't have all that much in terms of background, basically my powers awakened one day so I went for a journey to find someone to help train me and I found a monk who helped me control my mind powers which worked out and then for the purposes of the one shot probably was introduced to the party via the monk since everyone rolling their background life events MET. THE SAME. DANG. MONK. (Or at least that's the joke we're rolling with)

I also had my character drawn:

Hopefully this campaign will be a hoot despite the rampant toxicity, part of why I roped in a friend of mine to balance things out.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 12, 2020

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Thank you for your advice regarding guns. I'm going to be running a campaign a campaign soon myself and two things presented themselves to me which I wouldn't mind opinions on:

1. I am wanting this to be a reasonably low level campaign start and thus I was thinking between level three and level five. I find that level three is good as it avoids the 'made of glass' issues of levels one and allows the starting archetype to begin Level four is actually pretty tempting as it gives everyone their initial ASI /Feats whilst also allowing the next level up to be one which gives some cool stuff (Spell level & multi attack).

2. Has anyone here had any real experience with allowing racial bonuses to merely be put into whatever attributes people want? I suppose it reduces the 'identity' of each race but one of the larger problems I tend to see is character concepts just being undercut by the attributes of a race being in the wrong place.

3. I'm also toying with the concept of killing off Variant Human and just starting everyone off with a feat (with a few exceptions like Lucky, Weapon Mastery/Armor feats etc). I am wondering if it may be more a bit more flavorful and allow what would normally be suboptimal (and thus potentially shunned) feats a greater chance to shine.

First time DMing in a while so I am a bit averse to making sweeping changes, but hopefully these make sense.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In a campaign going to 10. I have a level 8 paladin right now with a homebrew oath. Is it worth dipping 2 levels of Fighter, you think? I miss out on third level spells, but Crusader's Mantle is already an ability of someone's sword, so it's really just Aura of Vitality and better smites going missing.

I suspect I can't get away with warlock without an RP reason that would be sorely lacking and I don't think 2 levels of sorcerer is deep enough to get much worthwhile other than Shield and Booming Blade.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

SkySteak posted:

3. I'm also toying with the concept of killing off Variant Human and just starting everyone off with a feat (with a few exceptions like Lucky, Weapon Mastery/Armor feats etc). I am wondering if it may be more a bit more flavorful and allow what would normally be suboptimal (and thus potentially shunned) feats a greater chance to shine.

This is literally an optional rule in Theros and it's gone great for the campaign I'm in that uses it.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fumbles posted:

So I've got a balance question for people to make sure I'm not playing favorites.

In my current homebrew game I give people unique boons to modify their abilities if they start doing something enough times or they achieve really cool things with it. Things like the Alchemist's Poison-Shooting Gun can now shoot Acid, the Tiefling can grow wings and turn demonic as part of her Alter Self to resemble a succubus and fly, the Arcane Trickster can throw any weapon and have it telekinetically snap back to his hand as if it was a returning weapon, the Blood Hunter can apply his curse to both his weapons in the same action since he's a dual-wielder, stuff that makes them unique and feel different even from other examples of their class.

One of my players is wanting to do the "was once a legendary hero but got lost to time and has weakened immensely over the ages" trope by playing an old legendary Champion of Humanity who got trapped in a time rift through betrayal and has lost most of his physical abilities, gaining the Echo Knight fighter subtype and resetting from level like 20 to level 5 and not having any of his old gear because he wasn't going out on a combat mission when he was trapped. My question is- since he wants to feel like he's a legendary fighter whose body can't keep up with his mind anymore, and we use Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers to give all martial characters (especially Fighters) Martial Maneuvers, would the following special boon be busted overpowered or have I limited it appropriately? Keeping in mind that I offered to give him some magical items to start with and he refused, so I'm willing to have his main "thing" be a bit stronger than an average character boon.

Legacy of Heroism
Your body has withered, but your mind has already reached the peak of combat mastery. You are treated as a Level 15 Fighter when determining your number of Maneuvers known and available tier of maneuvers. Due to the ravages of time on your body your number of Superiority Dice and their size are determined by your actual level and when utilizing a maneuver of a higher tier than your actual tier allows you must also expend 1 Hit Dice per tier above your current maximum.
(This means you know 9 Maneuvers, your maximum Maneuver Tier is 4, your actual Maneuver Tier is 2, and you have 4d8 Superiority Dice.)

This gives him some theoretical access to some strong abilities, but very limited access to them and he has to spend two distinct resources to use anything he "shouldn't be able to have" right now. I also trust this player a bit more than I trust my other players, since he's the only one who isn't a power-gamer at heart and would typically use power like this for heroic moments in combat and letting himself feel distinct from the other martial characters in the party. Would this be absolutely bonkers busted to give someone, or does it feel right for a formerly-legendary-hero who's body can't keep up with their wealth of combat knowledge?

I'm a bit late responding to this but I wrote that supplement so wanted to respond.

Just going by the abilities granted to the other players I would think 9 Tier 4 abilities at level 5 is way over powered, especially if you let them pick from the top tiers down. Bear in mind the tiers are designed so you can only swap out one maneuver every odd level, so a level 15 Fighter would have maximum 4 Tier 4 abilities and could only have 4 Tier 3 abilities. Even 4 Tier 4 abilities is very strong. An ability like Legend could be abused so be thoughtful about how the details of it's use play out, I would suggest a Fighter abusing Legend become the renowned tough guy everyone wants to take down. Superior Reflexes is also mad powerful for level 5 and alone would be out of balance with the boons you're offering the other players.

I would limit the maneuvers offered to one or two to balance the other boons and probably limit that to Tier 3 and choose them yourself to suit the campaign. This would also mean the Fighter continues to get a feeling of progression unlocking new maneuvers and Tiers.

e: just to be super clear: I really like the idea of the old fighter who's body is giving out but knows all the tricks, it's really cool. I just think in terms of balancing with the boons offered to others, it's pretty strong.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 13, 2020

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Also if I may, if you're enjoying Nort's Maneuvers please consider writing a review or giving it some stars. It keeps selling slowly but consistently but there's almost no community feedback which has made it less engaging for me to keep updating. I had a look around and found a little reddit discussion from people seeking opinions and getting them from people who haven't used it. I don't mind criticism but it's much more interesting and useful from people who are using it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Raenir Salazar posted:

Last week was our "session zero" where we asked questions, rolled up stat tables, and other things, such as average or rolled hp and so on.

We decided on someone can choose between rolled or average hp but need to pick ahead of time. I decided I'm going to do average because when I rolled I had 40 hp but average would've given me 54 (at level 7 for the oneshot anyways). Me and my friend who I brought into the group decided on average largely because we both think we're just more likely than not to get utterly hosed on rolls.

Everyone stat rolls, the way it works is we all roll a stat line and then we vote on the one to use. We rolled using (4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3+4d6k3)
The slightly proer version of this is everybody picks which one they want individually (doubling up obviously allowed). So, excluding your monster roll, you and the sane people grab the 16,15,15 while rob is free to play the basketweaving weirdo entirely of his own free will.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In a campaign going to 10. I have a level 8 paladin right now with a homebrew oath. Is it worth dipping 2 levels of Fighter, you think? I miss out on third level spells, but Crusader's Mantle is already an ability of someone's sword, so it's really just Aura of Vitality and better smites going missing.

I suspect I can't get away with warlock without an RP reason that would be sorely lacking and I don't think 2 levels of sorcerer is deep enough to get much worthwhile other than Shield and Booming Blade.

I mean, depending on your paladin concept, celestial warlocks are a thing as of XGE. The RP hook doesn't have to be terribly complicated.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Declan MacManus posted:

i would ask them what kind of character they want to play; if they don’t know, fighter is fine, but pretty much any martial at level 2 is going to be simple enough in terms of what they can do that it shouldn’t be too much for a new player to learn

I go the opposite way on this. Giving people Fighters as a newbie class is doing them a huge disservice because fighters have the smallest suite of ways to interact with the game mechanically and the least solutions to problems that aren't a monster to be stabbed.

Fighter is a class for people who want to engage heavily with the combat mechanics, and is best played by people who already know they find that their main locus of fun in playing.

My go-to starter for people is Cleric. They have a good selection of magic and decent martial abilities to back it up, and have a built in spot in the team dynamic.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fighter gets so few premade, out of the box abilities that you need to be real creative to come up with things to do, yeah.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I mean, depending on your paladin concept, celestial warlocks are a thing as of XGE. The RP hook doesn't have to be terribly complicated.

We're in Barovia, so it's about as unlikely as the rest. :/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spikes32 posted:

I need to make a simple character for a player new to dnd to play who is only joining in for one session. Should I just give him a fighter? Lvl 2 so no one is very powerful.

If I do make him a fighter anyone have suggestions for a fun / flavorful backstory / schitck that would help him have some direction on how to play the character? Storm lord's fury if it makes a difference
Warlock with Agonizing Blast is simple to play along with some panic buttons in case things go funny, while being able to dump str and con for more interesting skill boosters. Also comes with the built in backstory of whatever pact they have.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for your advice regarding guns. I'm going to be running a campaign a campaign soon myself and two things presented themselves to me which I wouldn't mind opinions on:

1. I am wanting this to be a reasonably low level campaign start and thus I was thinking between level three and level five. I find that level three is good as it avoids the 'made of glass' issues of levels one and allows the starting archetype to begin Level four is actually pretty tempting as it gives everyone their initial ASI /Feats whilst also allowing the next level up to be one which gives some cool stuff (Spell level & multi attack).

2. Has anyone here had any real experience with allowing racial bonuses to merely be put into whatever attributes people want? I suppose it reduces the 'identity' of each race but one of the larger problems I tend to see is character concepts just being undercut by the attributes of a race being in the wrong place.

First time DMing in a while so I am a bit averse to making sweeping changes, but hopefully these make sense.

do 2 and 3 and you can start at level one while avoiding the pitfalls of level one play... just be sure that most enemies are not fighting to the death and you will be fine

(ie: the goblins arent killing people, they are taking prisoners)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So while I know what Legendary Resistances and Actions are supposed to do. Making dragons a threatening challenge and so on. But I find that every boss encounter my group has had last campaign came down to many of the same sort of plays in the broad strokes.

Someone expending all their resources trying to burn off their legendary resistances, and us basically consistently going all in on that because the boss is usually dealing so much damage and in some cases quickly downing some of us, so we seem to be forced to double down on save or lose spells/abilities to try to beat it because if we don't it seems to be dealing so much damage (or in the case of the beholder) is able to attempt so many save or suck/lose stuff on us that it isn't like we can not do it because we're taking so much damage.

I feel like Legendary Resistances should be more like, for example if Hold Person the legendary resistance lets them still take an action but not their whole turn, maybe they can burn a legendary action that turn to get an additional part of their turn?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That's been pretty much the answer to high-end monsters since AD&D. They are generally meat tanks with good resistances, so save or lose is pretty much the option.

Another part of why there's such a late game power issue between classes, because martials don't get save or die abilities.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I feel like every game should kill off v. human and just give all players a free feat. I know it’s come up before but it really does help people pick things other than humans.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

So while I know what Legendary Resistances and Actions are supposed to do. Making dragons a threatening challenge and so on. But I find that every boss encounter my group has had last campaign came down to many of the same sort of plays in the broad strokes.

Someone expending all their resources trying to burn off their legendary resistances, and us basically consistently going all in on that because the boss is usually dealing so much damage and in some cases quickly downing some of us, so we seem to be forced to double down on save or lose spells/abilities to try to beat it because if we don't it seems to be dealing so much damage (or in the case of the beholder) is able to attempt so many save or suck/lose stuff on us that it isn't like we can not do it because we're taking so much damage.

I feel like Legendary Resistances should be more like, for example if Hold Person the legendary resistance lets them still take an action but not their whole turn, maybe they can burn a legendary action that turn to get an additional part of their turn?

you can use immunities to curtail this to an extent. high end superbosses are immune to basically everything for example. look at the rakshasa for inspiration on this. if you are designing an encounter for a party which has one guy who only has save or sucks for some reason and do not want to oppressively destroy them, look into doing group bosses(the "boss" is really 3 guys, that share legendary resistances, or something)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Saw this on the mostly-garbage /r/dndmemes today and ngl... I felt it:

It puts a DM in such a difficult place when all the players want to do is be goofy custom deviantart OCs before literally anything else about the campaign is known. Like none of those ideas are terrible in isolate, but they demonstrate a fundamental problem a lot of D&D players (and DMs) have which is-- thinking solely in self-interested terms. D&D is collaborative.

That's why I personally bar brand-new players from terribly exotic races/character concepts, especially homebrew. It's a bit like a baking student attempting macarons on day one instead of learning how to make cookie dough. Sometimes you really do need to start with the fundamentals and be willing to cede your personal hype to the rest of the group while you learn how to listen and collaborate.

Then eventually yes, they can end up as part of the wacky insane party where every character concept is wild homebrew and an anime princess sky-pirate teams up with a half-silicon/half-preying mantis Psionic Knight and a pile of sentient rocks that use abacus logic to cast mathematical magic. That stuff can rule... but it's kind of a privilege and not something you bust out at Session 0 your first time because "I don't see the appeal of pretending to be a Dwarf."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
homebrew can be badly balanced but otherwise lol at getting mad at players being excited about playing something fantastical before the reality of the banality that is D&D style "fantasy" crushes their spirit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Some kids never had to make do with a limited number of toys and boy can you tell.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mind the walrus posted:

Saw this on the mostly-garbage /r/dndmemes today and ngl... I felt it:

We've gotten to the point where our wizard wants to use his flying monkey familiar to cast spells through a ring of spell storing (which I okay'ed, it kind of makes sense but is a bit annoying), but dang let people have fun in a game

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I'm sorry what? What does someone wanting to play something interesting have to do with not having to do with a limited number of toys? That makes it sound like anyone who wants to play something interesting is an entitled only child who had everything they ever wanted. Which is obviously completely and utterly wrong.

No offense but you don't sound like a fun DM to me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

my response to anyone wanting to do something weird and fun is generally “okay, let’s work together and see how we can make that happen for you” and maybe it’s just the crowds i roll with but in general terms it’s not people trying to powergame (because as powergamers know you should be relying on the rules as written because the more say the dm has in things the worse off you’ll be) or people trying to go lol wacky OC DO NOT STEAL; instead it’s usually someone with a story idea for a character (which as a dm is a loving boon, a precious gift, a player that is giving me material that i can weave into the campaign to tie their character into the world and maybe give me some worldbuilding stuff) who either wants to reskin some mechanics or tweak some stuff that’ll have to be balanced to give their character more flavor

anything that gets away from sword and sorcery cliches is generally more interesting to play in imo, but i guess it also depends on who your crew is. i think a piece of advice that gets ignored a lot is that if you don’t enjoy the people you play with, you should leave your group, even if it means no dnd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm the guy whose going all in on a Bat theme.

pog boyfriend posted:

you can use immunities to curtail this to an extent. high end superbosses are immune to basically everything for example. look at the rakshasa for inspiration on this. if you are designing an encounter for a party which has one guy who only has save or sucks for some reason and do not want to oppressively destroy them, look into doing group bosses(the "boss" is really 3 guys, that share legendary resistances, or something)

I don't want to make it harder! My problem is the immunities/resistances! I want them to be less immune so a turn by a player isn't, "I cast hold person... Okay they fail." "They eyes glow and they save instead." As the sum total of a turn!

If instead of "nope" I am thinking its instead reduced down to a lesser version of that spell, so instead of noping away hold person it becomes something that still affects them, thereby not wasting the players turn, but doesn't cripple the boss and make the encounter trivial.