Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Ma'am your vagina is without honor. Him being a liar and ingrate, I have challenged him to a duel of pistols and will mount it in my trophy room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

YeahTubaMike posted:

Okay, I have to ask -- how are pap smears SUPPOSED to feel? Because every time I've had a pap smear, I literally haven't felt anything. Do I have a numb cervix or something? Is such a thing possible? :psyduck:
They say you're supposed to not feel it, or barely feel it! Just be happy you aren't extremely aware of being molested by a mascara wand

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Okay, I have to ask -- how are pap smears SUPPOSED to feel? Because every time I've had a pap smear, I literally haven't felt anything. Do I have a numb cervix or something? Is such a thing possible? :psyduck:

For me, it’s a brief and mild stabbing cramp pain that fades pretty quickly even though the preemptive dread still lingers.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Anne Whateley posted:

They say you're supposed to not feel it, or barely feel it! Just be happy you aren't extremely aware of being molested by a mascara wand

I am very happy about that now, thank you.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

"Is it I who is screwing up? No, it's the vagina who is wrong"

xcheopis posted:

This just perfectly sums up men in general.

:hmmyes:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I also haven't really felt pap smears. I was expecting pain since my mom and grandmas said it hurt but instead I didn't feel much more than a tiny bit of pressure.

Now IUD insertion felt like someone trying to turn my uterus into a kebob.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Hello thread

I got my first period when I was 12 (on my first day at a new school, thank god I didn't bleed through my skirt) and I'm now almost 27 and I'm still mad that I have periods

I also got a reminder letter from the department of health or whatever informing me I'm overdue for a pap smear/cervical screen due to my age but haven't got one done yet as I am a coward.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

as long as you don't have vaginismus it's really not bad at all. It's so clinical it's like, huh, what a weird day, doctor looking up in my stuff, and it's over pretty quick. I always thought them feeling up your boobs for lumps was way weirder but that might just be me.

I'm REALLY not looking forward to the thing where they flatten out your boob with that machine and I'm overdue for that. someone tell me that isn't so bad thanks

Maybe since I'm a transman I should just go ahead and get them lopped off and never worry about it ever. but, ugh, money.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Yeah, I know it's a pretty simple thing and I should just get it over with. My friend who's the same age actually got the same letter a couple weeks after me and is extremely not-keen. Maybe if I just go in and do it and tell her it was fine she'll get hers done.

I have a heart condition so the sheer amount of total strangers (doctors/nurses/paramedics) who have seen my boobs to put on ECGs or whatever is comical. I've not had them felt up in a medical context though.

I've never had a mammogram (I think that's the boob flattening thing) but my mum (who is the sort of person to put off medical stuff as much as possible) has had a few and I don't think they were too bad for her.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
poo poo I realize I haven't had a pap smear in like 5 years or so. The clinic I went to, I think it's gone now. And the few Planned Parenthoods around always have 50 year old balding dudes protesting.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Skratte posted:

I'm REALLY not looking forward to the thing where they flatten out your boob with that machine and I'm overdue for that. someone tell me that isn't so bad thanks

It was very unpleasant. Especially when the nice tech has to come over and push you about and she's genuinely being gentle but it's sooooo uncomfortable. And, somehow, clammy.

But that's me. You might have a better experience.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Anne Whateley posted:

Where did you find this?

The last two I had were with midwives and they said to expect a pinch (yea, closest description that works, ouch). I remember getting a warning at planned parenthood too, but I don't remember the phrase. I would think if I'm getting warned by multiple different practitioners, then there is an expectation of brief pain.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Cowslips Warren posted:

poo poo I realize I haven't had a pap smear in like 5 years or so. The clinic I went to, I think it's gone now. And the few Planned Parenthoods around always have 50 year old balding dudes protesting.

Flip them off as you drive in and out. I did this for years. gently caress those guys. I probably would have thrown something too if I had had anything.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
One of my OBGYNs was a “friend’s” mom and by friend it was a weird frenemy thing and cool, now her mom gets to poke around in my vag, great. Just scrape the cooch with while talking to me about your daughter who I know and kind of dislike

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
^^ That is the worst. I feel like some types of doctors it's ok if they're a vague acquaintance, but obgyn isn't one of them.

My very first obgyn when I was a teen was an old guy but he was ok as I recall. I don't think I've had a dude since (although I'm seeing one in a couple of weeks), but thinking about it made me realize there was a male resident in the room when I had my iud inserted and removed, nine years and a couple of states apart. The resident actually removed it (under supervision and he did a fine job unless something secretly happened that is the reason I haven't gotten pregnant, in which case a pox upon his house).

Also regarding pap smears, the thing they stick up your vag to make it wide enough they can get the speculum in there is worse for me. The smear is just a little pinch and it's done.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t mind the spreading but the spoolie scrape is like when you hit your elbow on a table type of pain. like it’s just on a whole other level of “I didn’t know I could feel this oh god”

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Emily Spinach posted:

the thing they stick up your vag to make it wide enough they can get the speculum

Wait a second. There's a pre-speculum speculum?

Is this how I'm going to find out that I'm loose?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wait a second. There's a pre-speculum speculum?

Is this how I'm going to find out that I'm loose?

Maybe the spreader thing is the speculum? gently caress if I know tbh, they just stick poo poo up me and tell me I don't have cancer (so far, knock on wood, etc).

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

angry emu posted:

My friend who's the same age actually got the same letter a couple weeks after me and is extremely not-keen.

What country do you live in? I got one too from the Dutch national health ministry a few weeks ago. Is it pap smear month?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/yellowcardigan/status/1287866798595903488

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cowslips Warren posted:

Even if there's 50 of them I think you can push through a bunch of babies. I have faith in you.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What country do you live in? I got one too from the Dutch national health ministry a few weeks ago. Is it pap smear month?

I’m in Australia. Might just be the time for it.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

angry emu posted:

I’m in Australia. Might just be the time for it.

Should have guessed by your name.

Had some period insomnia last night. It should be my last day and I'm only at a trickle. Do hormones fluctuate at the end of the cycle too?

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Hey y'all. I'm a third gen hosed up period haver who has been dealing with this poo poo alone my entire life. I got my period young - eleven or twelve - and it was messed up from the start. Hemorrhaging blood, stopping and starting at random intervals, crippling cramps. This was in the mid 90's when overnight pads with walls and wings weren't a thing yet. My mom's cis white man obygyny declined to write me hormonal birth control because "sluts/whores" and said to take ibuprofen then dismissed me. My mother didn't believe that I was getting a period more than once a month in a completely unpredictable way, and once grounded me because I was obviously lying to my gym teacher about not being able to swim. It culminated in my mid twenties to me bursting an ovarian cyst, my then boyfriend thinking I was dying, and taking me to the ER where I hemorrhaged all over an exam room while his mom kept trying to come in and comfort me.

Three and a half years ago, I got a Nexplanon implant after the pill quit regulating my period (constant light spotting for months at a time). A month later, my period stopped. Still haven't had one. It completely changed my entire quality of life. No cramps, no bleeding, nothing.

Fun facts about the lovely year I'm having for all you ladies considering Nexplanon specifically getting it from Planned Parenthood: I had a pregnancy scare two weeks ago. It is a big deal because of meds that I take that I can't just stop taking. The pregnancy scare was partially a result of PPH PUTTING AN OFF LABEL EXPIRATION DATE ON MY IMPLANT. Turns out it was a false positive caused by meds, however, I read the abstracts of all the studies done past the FDA on-label 3 year expiry date over the weekend while I was waiting to get into the doctor. THEY ARE REALLY SMALL. THEY DO NOT INCLUDE WOMEN OVER 170LBS. Went in to PPH and they were all, "We wrote four years on your card, but really it's good for five so you don't need it replaced even though you're an anxious plus-sized lady in the middle of a pregnancy scare due to our jackassery."

I now have an appointment at a female owned and operated women's health clinic to get it replaced as they specialize in Nexplanon, and don't lie about it's expiration date.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Zoesdare posted:

Hey y'all. I'm a third gen hosed up period haver who has been dealing with this poo poo alone my entire life. I got my period young - eleven or twelve - and it was messed up from the start. Hemorrhaging blood, stopping and starting at random intervals, crippling cramps. This was in the mid 90's when overnight pads with walls and wings weren't a thing yet. My mom's cis white man obygyny declined to write me hormonal birth control because "sluts/whores" and said to take ibuprofen then dismissed me. My mother didn't believe that I was getting a period more than once a month in a completely unpredictable way, and once grounded me because I was obviously lying to my gym teacher about not being able to swim. It culminated in my mid twenties to me bursting an ovarian cyst, my then boyfriend thinking I was dying, and taking me to the ER where I hemorrhaged all over an exam room while his mom kept trying to come in and comfort me.

Three and a half years ago, I got a Nexplanon implant after the pill quit regulating my period (constant light spotting for months at a time). A month later, my period stopped. Still haven't had one. It completely changed my entire quality of life. No cramps, no bleeding, nothing.

Fun facts about the lovely year I'm having for all you ladies considering Nexplanon specifically getting it from Planned Parenthood: I had a pregnancy scare two weeks ago. It is a big deal because of meds that I take that I can't just stop taking. The pregnancy scare was partially a result of PPH PUTTING AN OFF LABEL EXPIRATION DATE ON MY IMPLANT. Turns out it was a false positive caused by meds, however, I read the abstracts of all the studies done past the FDA on-label 3 year expiry date over the weekend while I was waiting to get into the doctor. THEY ARE REALLY SMALL. THEY DO NOT INCLUDE WOMEN OVER 170LBS. Went in to PPH and they were all, "We wrote four years on your card, but really it's good for five so you don't need it replaced even though you're an anxious plus-sized lady in the middle of a pregnancy scare due to our jackassery."

I now have an appointment at a female owned and operated women's health clinic to get it replaced as they specialize in Nexplanon, and don't lie about it's expiration date.

The clinic that put mine in had paperwork that said five years and they went through crossing it all out and wrote 3 saying that anything past 3 isn't proven. But PPH did once gave me a years supply of the pill in which it expired part way through the year, so your Nexplanon experience with them doesn't surprise me too much.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

teen witch posted:

I don’t mind the spreading but the spoolie scrape is like when you hit your elbow on a table type of pain. like it’s just on a whole other level of “I didn’t know I could feel this oh god”
That's it! I've been trying to come up with a description, but hitting your funny bone is pretty accurate - not exactly painful but weird and surprisingly unpleasant. It's like, someone's poked your kidney or pinched a lobe of your lung - your body is just extremely surprised that anyone is triggering those nerve endings in that particular way.

Zoesdare posted:

Big period bullshit

Jesus, that is terrible and I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much crap right now :( It''s really crappy that even though you open by saying weird periods run in your family, your mom still wasn't supportive. I have big mad periods, but as far as I know, my mother's were very sedate, so it's fairly understandable that she never really got how careful I've always had to be to have tampons+pads+easy access to a bathroom on the worst days. You'd think a shared experience as intense as that would built a bit of empathy.

I've also heard a lot about people having to deal with serious crap because emergency contraceptive dosages don't necessarily factor in the existence of plus-sized people, I hadn't heard it about regular contraception too.

It's all just unbelievably stupid :argh:.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The more I think about it, The Red Tent had it loving perfect. You go away for your period, and in today's age, Netflix and chill and do gently caress all till it's over.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Just a friendly reminder that if your periods are especially long, painful, and crampy (to what may be an unusual degree) PLEASE consider getting checked for endometriosis or PCOS. These conditions can lurk under the radar for months or even years and women suffer needlessly, getting told to 'suck it up' when they are dealing with super roided-out mega periods that are even worse than average. Also, neither disease is a joke and can at the very least kill your fertility.

My endometriosis went undiagnosed for years because I was just "being dramatic" about my periods. Guess I was also being dramatic when period goo escaped my uterus, twisted my appendix around like a pretzel, and caused some weird rare slow-burn version of appendicitis that would have never been caught if I didn't run around begging literally every OBGYN in the area for a laproscopic surgery to see what the gently caress was going on in there!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It is here. I’ve had a lot of metamucil to prepare

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

HIJK posted:

It is here. I’ve had a lot of metamucil to prepare

Satan bless you in your blood days

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

extra row of teeth posted:

Just a friendly reminder that if your periods are especially long, painful, and crampy (to what may be an unusual degree) PLEASE consider getting checked for endometriosis or PCOS. These conditions can lurk under the radar for months or even years and women suffer needlessly, getting told to 'suck it up' when they are dealing with super roided-out mega periods that are even worse than average. Also, neither disease is a joke and can at the very least kill your fertility.

My endometriosis went undiagnosed for years because I was just "being dramatic" about my periods. Guess I was also being dramatic when period goo escaped my uterus, twisted my appendix around like a pretzel, and caused some weird rare slow-burn version of appendicitis that would have never been caught if I didn't run around begging literally every OBGYN in the area for a laproscopic surgery to see what the gently caress was going on in there!
Surgery carries the risk of adhesions. That risk varies unpredictably from person to person. Some women after multiple surgeries might have a very normal abdomen, and others after one or two might have extensive scarring that makes future surgery far more difficult and somewhat riskier (as well as potentially causing problems like bowel obstruction in later years). It's true that women's symptoms are too often minimised, but also if a woman finds her periods tolerable, doesn't have any other issues, hasn't had difficulty getting pregnant, etc, then going looking for endometriosis won't necessarily yield anything. Most gynaecologists will tell you that the best fertility test is trying to get pregnant. And there are many women with no or minimal symptoms who have significant endometriosis on exploratory surgery (or incidentally found while operating on something else), and conversely many women who you would think had terrible endometriosis who have nothing to find at the time of surgery. There is also the option now of a Deep Infiltrating Endometriosis scan, which is an internal pelvic ultrasound that can help identify and characterise endometriosis without the need for invasive surgery.

You're definitely right about talking to a gynaecologist, but demanding the most invasive examinations isn't necessarily a good idea unless the symptoms are very severe (which I have no doubt yours were) or infertility is an identified issue.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 13, 2020

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The Artificial Kid posted:

Surgery carries the risk of adhesions. That risk varies unpredictably from person to person. Some women after multiple surgeries might have a very normal abdomen, and others after one or two might have extensive scarring that makes future surgery far more difficult and somewhat riskier (as well as potentially causing problems like bowel obstruction in later years). It's true that women's symptoms are too often minimised, but also if a woman finds her periods tolerable, doesn't have any other issues, hasn't had difficulty getting pregnant, etc, then going looking for endometriosis won't necessarily yield anything. Most gynaecologists will tell you that the best fertility test is trying to get pregnant. And there are many women with no or minimal symptoms who have significant endometriosis on exploratory surgery (or incidentally found while operating on something else), and conversely many women who you would think had terrible endometriosis who have nothing to find at the time of surgery. There is also the option now of a Deep Infiltrating Endometriosis scan, which is an internal pelvic ultrasound that can help identify and characterise endometriosis without the need for invasive surgery.

You're definitely right about talking to a gynaecologist, but demanding the most invasive examinations isn't necessarily a good idea unless the symptoms are very severe (which I have no doubt yours were) or infertility is an identified issue.

Oh no doubt. I'm not saying to go in and get opened like a fish willy-nilly. After all internal scar tissue alone can be a chronic pain cause in itself, surgery itself carries risks, the scars themselves loving suck and are dead center on your belly/pelvis and super visible during bikini season, laproscopic surgery done robot style can carry extra complications (one of which I'm actually dealing with now), etc. I was just bringing up endo and PCOS as a possibility if women are having frequent, severe, unrelenting periods coupled with chronic pelvic or lower back pain that seems above and beyond what other ladies go through, because these 'sleeper diseases' can go undiagnosed for years. There's nothing quite as horrible as feeling something deeply yet vaguely wrong, knowing it, and getting poo-pooed by doctor after doctor because the cause isn't obvious. And obviously surgery should only be even slightly considered if pain and infertility continue but all other methods such as ultrasounds, etc. turn up blank. They did in my case. Endo was found after dozens of hospital visits and years of false diagnosis.

Also I had no idea they had technology like the Deep Infiltrating Endometriosis Scan now! That's so cool! Wish they did that for me the first time, but the technology most likely wasn't there back then. :shrug:

To put the horror of bad endometriosis into perspective: They hosed up my hysterectomy. I have a vaginal cuff tear that almost killed me, the idiot OBGYN that did it didn't notice it wasn't healing right (leaving me with yet more chronic pain), a second OBGYN found it immediately and had to cauterize the vaginal cuff as an in office procedure. And you know what? The pain from the vaginal cuff is still so much lower than the normal endo pain that I'd do the whole thing over again, right down to the same dumbfuck doctor if I had to. They found endo. They found fibroids. They found PCOS. They found precancerous uterine cells. My entire womb was just a disaster that had to go no matter what.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Welp, so I'm dealing with some stressful life stuff related to covid. (I don't have it, but it's just the stress of trying to avoid it while also keeping my job and maintaining my relationship) My boyfriend told me some news that threw things for a bit more of a loop and I just start SOBBING. Like UNCONTROLLABLY. I was trying to eat a microwaved burrito for lunch...while sobbing. (Which made my made my poor boyfriend crack up) He went back to work and I continued to sob while just feeling like everything is hopeless. There's no point to anything.

*hmmm*

*checks cycle tracker app*

"YOUR PERIOD IS 6 DAYS AWAY"

OH, WELL THEN.

So basically my hormones are making an already stressful situation into a loving disaster. My boyfriend told me I don't need to apologize for my emotions...which just made me start sobbing all over again.

GOD I HATE THIS poo poo. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THESE BRAIN CHEMICALS.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Of course during my period, I was totally fine, but now on the very last day, I feel queasy and crampy. Thanks, uterus. Just when I thought I was in the clear!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Best period reason I ever read:

Uterus wants baby.
Uterus does not get baby.
Uterus wants revenge.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

In high school I would insist on saying "my uterus is shedding" instead of saying I had my period and everyone hated it.

I got my Nexplanon replaced recently and when I did they were like "technically you didn't need to have this replaced for another few months" and I was like "I was getting my period again so I needed a new one immediately actually". The migraines, the acid reflux, the wanting to vomit and poo poo simultaneously while my organs are all being squeezed in an invisible fist... No Thank You. Chamomile tea can only do so much. Nexplanon was lifechanging.

Am I the only one who couldn't orgasm with a menstrual cup in? I mean, I could, but I'd get absolute monster cramps afterward. It was the weirdest goddamn thing but I never saw anyone else talk about it so maybe I was just crazy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cowslips Warren posted:

Uterus wants baby.
Uterus wants revenge.

Just pretend I posted a clip from that year 2000 Godzilla movie of Godzilla swimming through the ocean foreshadowing what will unfold

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Uterus wants baby.
Uterus wants revenge.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Cowslips Warren posted:

Uterus wants baby.
Uterus wants revenge.

mine is starting to get angry. i never had pms headaches or cramps until 29.

yelim0503
Jun 6, 2013
I hate and want my IUD simultaneously, and it's a weird feel. Especially when my IUD causes my period to trickle over the course of two weeks, having few days break in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

Uterus wants baby.
Uterus wants revenge.

Man, gently caress that bitch rear end uterus. I hope it burns in hell. It would be cool if it could read though, so it could read this.

Sarah Andersen is good at conveying uterine concepts in general. :v:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 15, 2020