Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

WaltherFeng posted:

I never cared about HZD but that expression is perfect. I might jump into the sequel if the models are as expressive.

early on in the story the facial work is frankly mediocre but it improves fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've been interested in that since seeing the wild artwork, but it's always been in the backlog. How's it compared to Hollow Knight, which I kept bouncing right off of despite its artwork? (mostly from getting loving lost as hell repeatedly and not having a clue where to go or what to look for - I'm the kind of person who needs a bit of direction to get started)

hollow knight's map is one of the most expansive in the genre and even on a replay i still got lost because the merest crevice can open up into a whole new area. blasphemous is a lot more straightforward in comparison, though your character's movement is on the slow side and fast travel options are few and far between (though NG+ offers the ability to warp between save points, which is incredibly helpful for streamlining things). there's also a lot of insta-death platforming, which isn't too bad now but was allegedly miserable in the early release when jumps had to be pixel-perfect

they both share a lot of Souls dna but blasphemous moreso, you could turn yourself into a tiny buzzsaw in HK with the right charms but in blasphemous the combat sticks to the essentials the whole way through

e: saw your edit about hollow knight's combat and it's honestly incredible how much it changes once you become attuned to it, i've said before that i completed most of the special boss rushes and after i went back to fight the "normal" endbosses it felt like they were moving in slow motion

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 13, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

omfg i never got that sequence 'cos i did them all at once and i'm so loving mad now

Always do all dialogue options!

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 13, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Getting lost as hell in Hollow Knight is very much intended. Other metroidvanias don't really do that to you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Always do all dialogue options!

Genuinely, I only saw the one for... I think it was the flamethrower, it never played the other two when I picked up the quests :( oh well, UH NG+ goals :dance:

(varga & burgrend #1 and #2)

Andrast posted:

Getting lost as hell in Hollow Knight is very much intended. Other metroidvanias don't really do that to you.
Fair enough. Truth be told I haven't played one in a long time, since Environmental Station Alpha pretty much

Oxxidation posted:

hollow knight's map is one of the most expansive in the genre and even on a replay i still got lost because the merest crevice can open up into a whole new area. blasphemous is a lot more straightforward in comparison, though your character's movement is on the slow side and fast travel options are few and far between (though NG+ offers the ability to warp between save points, which is incredibly helpful for streamlining things). there's also a lot of insta-death platforming, which isn't too bad now but was allegedly miserable in the early release when jumps had to be pixel-perfect

they both share a lot of Souls dna but blasphemous moreso, you could turn yourself into a tiny buzzsaw in HK with the right charms but in blasphemous the combat sticks to the essentials the whole way through

e: saw your edit about hollow knight's combat and it's honestly incredible how much it changes once you become attuned to it, i've said before that i completed most of the special boss rushes and after i went back to fight the "normal" endbosses it felt like they were moving in slow motion
Also fair enough re: HK. I suppose if I'd been able to better put up with the "getting completely lost" thing I'd have had more practice and more mechanics to appreciate the fighting!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also it can't be overstated how bad one of the pivotal characters in blasphemous sounded before the latest patch

bear in mind that this is a game taking place in a withered land beset upon by perpetual divine curses, where nearly every other character speaks in a throaty, portentous mutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laBOw_dyIiY

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The platforming in HK did feel pretty good, I'll give it that. I'll have to see how I feel about Blasphemous' instadeath platforming bits; otherwise the game sounds like one for me to pick up!

(e) Just listened to that video; that first was fairly poor, yeah - I bet it's cringeworthy heard against the rest of the cast. The second one... sounds like the game looks, if that makes any sense

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 13, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Andrast posted:

You are a little bug in unfamiliar territory. I didn’t really have a problem with the map, it made sense narratively and provided a real sense of exploration.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i didn't mind sketching in the map but making your compass take up a charm slot was still completely unnecessary

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

You are a little bug in unfamiliar territory. I didn’t really have a problem with the map, it made sense narratively and provided a real sense of exploration.

Ultimately that was my problem - not the game's fault, I just don't get much enjoyment out of that kind of exploring in games!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've been interested in that since seeing the wild artwork, but it's always been in the backlog. How's it compared to Hollow Knight, which I kept bouncing right off of despite its beautiful art & settings? (mostly from getting loving lost as hell repeatedly and not having a clue where to go or what to look for - I'm the kind of person who needs a bit of direction to get started. Didn't like the combat much either, attacking never felt right and the hitstun pause was, for some reason, particularly obnoxious)

I like Blasphemous a lot more than Hollow Knight. I wrote an effort post about Blasphemous in this thread and the Switch thread last week. I'm spending more morning doing a final item wrap up before starting into NG+. I still really love this game. Here's my big post from a few days ago:

I'm coming up on the end of my first Blasphemous run I think. I haven't consulted any guides and I've managed to uncover 97% of the map and have 89% item collection. Not too shabby for a blind playthrough of this kind of game. I'm sure I hosed up some quests but I'm really happy with what I managed!

When I was starting this game a few weeks ago there was a brief discussion about how much of a chore the end game round up of items was. I was bracing myself for bullshit and am really happy to report that I don't think it's bullshit at all - It's actually quite fun! The map is one of the best, if not the best, maps I've ever used in a video game. You can select from roughly 8 different marker icons and place an unlimited number of them on the map, making it quite easy to not only mark things to investigate later but also classify them.

Also the game has a few warp points that you can access and use throughout the game, assuming you find them (they're not hidden, if you explore the game you will find them naturally). However what I wasn't expecting, and I suppose I'll hide this behind spoilers, you can upgrade this game's equivalent of bon fires to eventually be able to teleport between them, which made the post game round up super straight forward.

My experience with running around the game and uncovering as much as possible was a great. Very little time spent needlessly running from one end of the map to the other and I felt like an ultimate badass cutting through all the enemies that gave me grief earlier in the game. My sword was way more powerful, I have all the special attack upgrades, and loads of spells that just wreck enemies.

This game is tremendously awesome and I love it. I have 19 hours on the clock so far and I imagine I have a few more to go before starting NG+. I'm so happy with this purchase.

And now, please allow me to end this post on a controversial note: Blasphemous is better than Hollow Knight.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 13, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh no my wallet

(somehow Bloodstained totally passed me by too)

ps gently caress ted faro

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 13, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Can't wait to find out how much more I get to hate Ted loving Faro in the sequel.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Infinitum posted:

Can't wait to find out how much more I get to hate Ted loving Faro in the sequel.

At least if the story jumps the shark and reveals his actual consciousness was somehow kept alive all these years and surprise he's back somehow, at least then you can punch him in the sequel.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

oh no my wallet

(somehow Bloodstained totally passed me by too)

ROTN is killer. That's an awesome cart.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope theres nothing about Ted faro in the sequel cuz I'm sick and tired of reading posts that say gently caress Ted faro

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Who is Ted faro?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the first vtuber

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

john galt

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1305168775038210053?s=19
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1305169384369876992?s=19

dorito halo man...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wildtortilla posted:

Who is Ted faro?

The villain of one of the major plot threads of Horizon: Zero Dawn. Play it to understand why he should get hosed over and above anyone else in the game and above most other video game villains

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

https://twitter.com/wvubkball/status/1305174169685037058

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I dont like Geoff, but the responses to his tweet are breathtakingly stupid. He can't win. So glad I am off Twitter.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
might bail on wasteland 3. it's a pretty good game just packed with minor irritations that make me not want to engage with it, not least of all the load times being glacial even on an ssd. combined with gotcha poo poo like traps and lots of having to run between screens a lot, it feels like it's a chore to drag the game to the part where you can actually play it. I think it'll be real solid once they patch it for a year or so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The long load times are killer. You really should be able to get into the Kodiak from any entry point on a map.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Relax Or DIE posted:

might bail on wasteland 3. it's a pretty good game just packed with minor irritations that make me not want to engage with it, not least of all the load times being glacial even on an ssd. combined with gotcha poo poo like traps and lots of having to run between screens a lot, it feels like it's a chore to drag the game to the part where you can actually play it. I think it'll be real solid once they patch it for a year or so.

Are inxile known to fix their poo poo?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

The long load times are killer. You really should be able to get into the Kodiak from any entry point on a map.

yeah it's a wild choice that is only works one way, especially as you might have to revisit places 2-3 screens deep fairly often

Rinkles posted:

Are inxile known to fix their poo poo?

they put out a director's cut for wasteland 2 that, at least as far as I know, fixed a lot. it's just a guess on my part though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Current single player game I am playing is Iron Harvest. Not entirely sure if I am going to finish this though. The first few missions are glacially slow, and I am just not liking how slow everything moves.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You have a pet bear though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You have a pet bear though

Yes, this was a big deciding factor in wanting to play it. The cutscene of how your protagonist comes across the bear is also really sad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is it based on wojtek the bear?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

is it based on wojtek the bear?

Yep!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Wildtortilla posted:

:words: about Blasphemous

I really gotta try this game again. I found it way too slow for my liking, especially because I suck and die a lot, but so many goons love it that i think it deserves another shot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

I never cared about HZD but that expression is perfect. I might jump into the sequel if the models are as expressive.

most of the hzd npcs have automated robot faces that look like theyre from mass effect andromeda

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

most of the hzd npcs have automated robot faces that look like theyre from mass effect andromeda

at least they look good, andromeda npcs are gargoyles

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

speakking of npcs in the hzd engine im finally playing death stranding and its incredible to have a game with good acting wowowow if kojima is apparently more interested in making movies than games and turns out stuff like this maybe other people should start copying him and make their characters good as well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played Blasphemous before they patched in bonfire teleport and a couple of other QOL things (this was relatively recent). It's among the more successful of the 2D Souls reinterpretations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like death blanding

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RBA Starblade posted:

More like death blanding

WHAT the gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The acting in Death Stranding, with the exception of Mads Mikkelsen and Troy Baker, is legitimately some of the worst I have ever seen. Norman Reedus speaks every line like they woke him up at 3am and took the first take he read off the script.