Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also wish to add my praise to the pile for "joanson"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

I was tempted to try for a "man in a dress" joke because barristers also wear those but thought I would just come off in poor taste.

The only way a "man in a dress" character can work any more is if they're a deranged cosplayer fan of Monty Python's pepperpots.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1304896423847063552

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only way a "man in a dress" character can work any more is if they're a deranged cosplayer fan of Monty Python's pepperpots.

The thing about Monty Python and other sketch shows is that while sometimes the gag was "lol, it's a man in a dress" a lot of the time it's a man in a dress just because the main cast is all cis men and otherwise they wouldn't be in the sketch, the humor comes from other things. For every "Lumberjack song" there's three or four sketches that's just a husband and wife arguing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I believe this is what's called hitting two birds with one stone

Edit: Also, as an experienced programmer including video games, Jon Blow is trash and none of us take his terrible code seriously

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no how will be do without the guy who made braid.

Everyone remember braid?

(why do I remember braid? I've never even played it.)

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

rude

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The great thing about shotgun guy is apparently he plays loving cod of all games.

Like yeah mate if all you play is loving cod you're gonna have dumb views about shooters.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Super glad that I didn't make that post the other day saying why I agreed with him and was willing to die on that hill. I still am but I'm not going to talk about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be curious to read it but mostly it's just weird that he would make sweeping statements about the entire FPS genre based on playing competitive multiplayer cod.

Like you will pry stalking through the swamp hunting bloodsuckers with an old rusty over under in STALKER from my cold dead hands.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

The thing about Monty Python and other sketch shows is that while sometimes the gag was "lol, it's a man in a dress" a lot of the time it's a man in a dress just because the main cast is all cis men and otherwise they wouldn't be in the sketch, the humor comes from other things. For every "Lumberjack song" there's three or four sketches that's just a husband and wife arguing.

Honestly most Monty Python sketches wouldn't be nearly as funny if the female characters weren't being played by the Pythons in dowdy floral house dresses shrieking in high-pitched voices (especially all 6'5" of John Cleese). It just adds another layer of madness to the proceedings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/neonwario/status/1305168495752216578?s=20

"Rich people in faster cars should be allowed to drive after drinking significantly more alcohol than those poors in their slow lovely cars."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Honestly most Monty Python sketches wouldn't be nearly as funny if the female characters weren't being played by the Pythons in dowdy floral house dresses shrieking in high-pitched voices. It just adds another layer of madness to the proceedings.

Honestly, most Monty Python sketches aren't that funny.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

OwlFancier posted:

Oh no how will be do without the guy who made braid.

Everyone remember braid?

(why do I remember braid? I've never even played it.)

I liked Braid and I really liked The Witness; that tweet is kind of a bummer for me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skwirl posted:

"Rich people in faster cars should be allowed to drive after drinking significantly more alcohol than those poors in their slow lovely cars."

The hottest of takes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ultrafilter posted:

The hottest of takes.

I mean that’s already more or less how flat rate traffic tickets work

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

I liked Braid and I really liked The Witness; that tweet is kind of a bummer for me.

The Witness was great, but I think The Talos Principle and Filament have covered its ground better by now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

Honestly, most Monty Python sketches aren't that funny.

You have to be in the right mood. Helps to be in 1960s gb

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

And it's all over Uncle Bob, who was an influential person in the programming community, being disinvited from speaking at a virtual conference because other speakers did not want to speak if he was there due to his previously expressed super lovely political opinions. He wrote a blog about it where he talked about how he thought he could successfully sue the conference and the speakers who didn't want him there but he wouldn't because he was so gracious. His friend at the conference also totally 100% for sure told Uncle Bob that he is "scared to death of these people."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Honestly most Monty Python sketches wouldn't be nearly as funny if the female characters weren't being played by the Pythons in dowdy floral house dresses shrieking in high-pitched voices (especially all 6'5" of John Cleese). It just adds another layer of madness to the proceedings.

John Cleese was a consistently rotten actor as a woman, he was just incredibly stupid and terrible. Terry Jones was the best. Michael Palin was pretty good too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are we sure this isn't a joke? The second tweet works too well contextually not to be a joke

e: I read more it's not a joke

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Splicer posted:

Are we sure this isn't a joke? The second tweet works too well contextually not to be a joke

Lol at the idea of giving jon blow the benefit of the doubt when he says something immeasurably stupid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't remember why I'm supposed to remember who Jonathan Blow is. Does that make me the idiot?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't remember why I'm supposed to remember who Jonathan Blow is. Does that make me the idiot?

He's a metaphor for the atomic bomb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh god I read Uncle Bob's blog post on it, which includes this gem

quote:

Could I sue them? Certainly. I won’t, for the same reason that I’m not going to sue the conference organizers. And, frankly, suing people for such small potatoes just isn’t worth the trouble. But, like I said, next time I do a pro-bono talk I’ll have the conference organizers agree to the value that I’m deriving in return for using my name and likeness on their website. Then I can sue them, and any tortious interferers, for that sum and punitive damages too.

He made the platformer about the sad boy that stole it's basic mechanic from the Prince of Persia remakes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If you ignore the writing Braid is a very good game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

He made this game

https://youtu.be/xSXofLK5hFQ

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Skwirl posted:

this one is a joke

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i liked Braid and liked The Witness even more, so maybe i deserved this

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Jonathan Blow's game The Witness ends by quoting a verse from the Diamond Sutra that relates to the game's themes, but he cut out the first line so it's gibberish to anyone who doesn't already know what that verse is about.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nope. He made two popular video games, one of which was a pivotal early entry in what is now a bustling indie game industry, but is otherwise a very forgettable dumbass who doesn't really spend a lot of time in the public eye.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i saw him in public one time, walking down the street in my (our?) neighborhood, practicing tai chi circles with his hands, and i will forever hold on to that precious memory

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mak0rz posted:

Nope. He made two popular video games, one of which was a pivotal early entry in what is now a bustling indie game industry, but is otherwise a very forgettable dumbass who doesn't really spend a lot of time in the public eye.

Every month or so he has a really dumb take about politics, programming, or video games.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every month or so he has a really dumb take about politics, programming, or video games.

hey, if brainfuck can be a valid contribution to the field of programming languages, then so can whatever he's made.

if perhaps not for the reasons he thinks it will be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Why were people upset at Uncle Bob speaking in the first place. Having read his take on being cancelled, I fully believe he's a gently caress head, just curious which flavor.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I know it's a joke, but I'm imagining kind of the inverse. Lower BAC level the faster you're going. If you're going like 10 or 20 kph, it's the regular BAC that is now (for example). At 20-50 it's slightly lower. Above 50 even lower etc

Well it would probably just result into more cops being cops, but oh well

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

https://twitter.com/caligirl506/status/1305137886937792512?s=21

:shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Definitely a real story from a real person that exists