Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

if you had that much money why not just give people the houses?
Keep it running at a slight loss and I could get far more houses into the hands of people who could afford a mortgage but can't save up for a deposit because they're paying rent.

Be a parasite on landlordism by using the parasitic properties of landlordism against itself.

64 is probably the number of London houses I could buy with 10% of JKR's wealth. Mario Kart 64 was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
If I had 10% of JK's wealth I'd do coke

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Keep it running at a slight loss and I could get far more houses into the hands of people who could afford a mortgage but can't save up for a deposit because they're paying rent.

Be a parasite on landlordism by using the parasitic properties of landlordism against itself.

64 is probably the number of London houses I could buy with 10% of JKR's wealth. Mario Kart 64 was good.

Or for that matter just give people the deposits?

Setting up a deposit fund would be a useful rebellion against capitalism actually. I'm looking at something which basically has a contract saying that it's only paid back once the mortgage has been paid off, or something, but I'm betting that's probably some flavour of illegal.

If I had JKR's money I would probably use it to set up art studios and workshops and pay artists to make good art.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I'd probably just give it out to people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, I assume we do all understand why the EU is trying to be so decorous and courteous in the Brexit negotiations, and why it's trying to give the UK every possible concession and every possible out, yes? It's reputation-laundering for what comes next. The iron laws of international commerce require large economies to retain and secure their power by grinding smaller, weaker economies into submission, and they want to minimise the number of important people who object when they begin showing Britain - or possibly just England - its new place.

Capitalism is the organisation of society by competition for power, and we're picking a fight with our most powerful neighbour. They need to make us look like the bad guys so that as much as possible of the rest of the world will look the other way while they stomp us into the ground.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Or for that matter just give people the deposits?

Setting up a deposit fund would be a useful rebellion against capitalism actually. I'm looking at something which basically has a contract saying that it's only paid back once the mortgage has been paid off, or something, but I'm betting that's probably some flavour of illegal.
Could do, the "build a housing empire based on using landlordism profits to buy more houses" model has been so bad for people's housing needs that I think there must be a way to use it against itself if you had a chunk of money.

Like maybe another way would be using the money to establish a renters' co-op of say 100 houses where everyone has a vote on who runs it to set rent rates for the maintenance fund and to acquire more houses to get more people into the co-op.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bustin keaton posted:

I mean is it really a hedonistic orgy without coke?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bustin keaton posted:

I'd buy some joose because who knows what wacky poo poo you'd wake up to buying and actually have bought

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

A Lib Dem Prospective Mayoral Candidate Was Filmed Urging Voters Not To Vote For A Jewish Candidate During A Failed Election Bid

quote:

The Lib Dems have shortlisted a candidate who was seen launching an antisemitic campaign against her election rival during an unsuccessful effort to become an MP.

PoliticsHome has seen footage of Geeta Sidhu-Robb using a megaphone to urge Muslim voters not to vote for her Labour opponent, Jack Straw, because he is Jewish.

The Lib Dems announced on Tuesday that Ms Sidhu-Robb, a former corporate lawyer turned health food entrepreneur, would go head-to-head with councillor Luisa Porrit for the party's nomination for London mayor, with the winner due to be announced on 13 October.

But in footage from the 1997 election campaign, Ms Sidhu-Robb, who was at the time standing as the Conservative candidate for Blackburn, was filmed saying she planned to inform voters about Mr Straw's faith, adding "how is a Muslim going to vote for someone who is Jewish?”

Ms Sidhu-Robb said she was going to "take the gloves" off after she claimed Labour activists had accused her of being "against Islam".

"The Labour Party is going around with a microphone, saying she is against Islam, she is not Muslim, don't vote for her because she's against Islam, and this is making it racist, it's making it personal," she said.

"Particularly considering the fact that my husband actually is Muslim.

"So, we are just going to pull the gloves off. I am going to get a car and walk around, and drive through town telling everyone Jack Straw is a Jew. How is a Muslim going to vote for someone who is Jewish?

"That's it. That is what happened and that's what we're going to do about it."

In further scenes, she was filmed driving around part of the constituency with a megaphone, saying [in Urdu] that if people chose to vote for Mr Straw they were "voting for a Jew". The footage included subtitles translating her words into English.

"Don't vote for a Jew, Jack Straw is a Jew," she allegedly said. "If you vote for him, you're voting for a Jew. Jews are the enemies of Muslims.

"Mark the 7th box on the ballot paper."

Later in the footage, she claimed she had carried out the campaign because she was "furious" but admitted she wished she hadn't done it.

"I didn't want racism and bigotry to play a part in anything that I had anything to do with," she said. "I object strenuously to it.

"I did it because I was furious.

"So, I must admit I wish I hadn't done it."

Ms Sidhu-Robb finished second behind Mr Straw in the 1997 election, later going on to become involved in the People's Vote campaign.

Yesterday, PoliticsHome revealed there was unease among Lib Dem activists about the fact she had been shortlisted, after comments she had made on a Channel 5 documentary came to light.

A Liberal Democrat spokesperson said: "The Liberal Democrats take all allegations of this nature extremely seriously. A complaint has been received by the party and will be actioned in accordance with our processes."

Ms Sidhu-Robb has been contacted for comment.

Unbelievable that Jeremy Corbyn would travel back in time an infect an otherwise reasonable person standing for non-racist parties with antisemitism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

A Lib Dem Prospective Mayoral Candidate Was Filmed Urging Voters Not To Vote For A Jewish Candidate During A Failed Election Bid

Unbelievable that Jeremy Corbyn would travel back in time an infect an otherwise reasonable person standing for non-racist parties with antisemitism.
What kind of brain worms do you need where the reason to not vote for racist poor-hater Jack Straw is his 1/8 Jewish lineage?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy the view that religion is like pokemon types or something (i have never played pokemon)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

What kind of brain worms do you need where the reason to not vote for racist poor-hater Jack Straw is his 1/8 Jewish lineage?

She was running as a Tory. She wanted to attack him, not compliment him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Noxville posted:

Two things. Here is a video of said events

https://twitter.com/GnasherJew/status/1305161012547444736

and this was in the replies

https://twitter.com/local_queerenby/status/1305219702600462338

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I always wondered what kind of person finds How I Met Your Mother funny and now I know

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1305047757695184896?s=19

The naked corruption of it all

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, I assume we do all understand why the EU is trying to be so decorous and courteous in the Brexit negotiations, and why it's trying to give the UK every possible concession and every possible out, yes? It's reputation-laundering for what comes next. The iron laws of international commerce require large economies to retain and secure their power by grinding smaller, weaker economies into submission, and they want to minimise the number of important people who object when they begin showing Britain - or possibly just England - its new place.

Capitalism is the organisation of society by competition for power, and we're picking a fight with our most powerful neighbour. They need to make us look like the bad guys so that as much as possible of the rest of the world will look the other way while they stomp us into the ground.
look, Boris and co. have a nice big toybox to play with, just like they always wanted, and if the price for their fun is our lives, then i for one am ecstatic to be ground into paste while they walk away with no personal consequences whatsoever

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Lib Dems welcoming in with open arms a former Tory with incredibly regressive views you say? who could have foreseen this

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

From their wiki page:

quote:

In February 2017, two Randox employees were arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice amid allegations of data tampering within Randox Testing Services, used by many Police Forces in England and Wales for forensic toxicology. Randox acquired this laboratory in Manchester from Trimega laboratories which went into administration in 2014.[18] As of November 2017, around 50 criminal prosecutions for driving offences had been dropped in what BBC home affairs correspondent, Danny Shaw, described as "the biggest forensic science scandal in the UK for decades".[19] Police forces have begun reviewing over 10,000 criminal cases that may be affected by the alleged data manipulation, including sexual and violent crimes.[20]

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Lol leave it to the loving yellow tories to gently caress up opposing Jack straw.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Darth Walrus posted:

Partly that but I think also, at least partly, because it would ultimately be better for everyone if the UK remained inside the tent pissing out on all the developing countries and so on. There might be some profit to be made divvying up whatever the Tories can sell, but it's still going to be a fractious and unpredictable project, and it'd be much easier for everyone involved if the UK would have done a less insane Brexit where we stayed broadly aligned with EU regulations, bodies, etc. and were able to bring our still-considerable weight to bear in A) Holding our own against other major economic powers (i.e. the US and China) and B) maintaining the exploitation of the less powerful in a steady manner.

(I also suspect there's still some entrenched disbelief that the UK, who was long regarded in EU matters as somewhat standoffish but ultimately sensible and tractible by most of our peers*, is acting in such an obviously self-destructive manner with such intense zeal. Rightly or wrongly we had managed to convince a lot of other people that the British political and monied elite might be arseholes, but we were predictable arseholes who acted with circumspection and had little desire to rock any boats, let alone capsize our own.)

* I just realized I described the UK as tsundere

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UwUnited Kingdom.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
JK Rowling: drat, writing all this transphobia is getting a bit stale. What can I do to spice it up? Ah, maybe a bit of casual Islamaphobia.

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305175397848559621

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She thinks that trans rights are about forcibly regendering gay cis kids to be straight trans kids (with the implication that bi kids don't exist), as they do in Iran, and that a big part of that is homophobic Muslim parents aggressively pushing the trans agenda.

This is not one of my parody or hyperbolic posts. This is what J.K. Rowling actually believes, so I'm not at all surprised about the other Muslim stuff.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I remember that one article from the US a year or two ago about the "Butch genocide" which was exactly the same idea, that people who were 'really' butch lesbians were being misled instead to think they were trans men.

I wish us trans had 1/100th of the power they credit us with because the amount of good we could do would be immense.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think you have to believe in both the high power of homophobic religious groups (while still affiliating with hardline Christian Conservatives like terves do), and also believe at least low key in the literally (again not exaggerating) Nazi conspiracy theory that a trans woman is the Pokemon style final evolution of a gay man and vice versa for lesbians for terf logic to make sense.

Like I've known some incredibly femme gay men but they aren't trans because that's not how gender identity works.

You also have to be incredibly scientifically incurious, like when I heard that a large number of assigned female at birth people on the autism spectrum were trans men, my first thought was "oh, that's super interesting if true, I wonder if there's a link between autism and the in utero differentiation of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis, which we think may have something to do with gender identity maybe" and not "evil trans are preying on autistic girls!!"

Which is why they believe that "biology is simple" (loving tell a biologist or biochemist that) and deny any development in sexual health since 1967.

In conclusion terves a land of contrastspoo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not so much contrasts as direct, obvious contradictions that they just memory hole and don't think about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hell, the autism and trans men thing, if true, should be super interesting to the Toby Young "brave British white boys falling behind in school" crew if they actually cared and weren't disingenuous little shits, because that's a line of study that, if pursued with the right ethical mindset, could potentially tell you a lot about the best pedagogical methods for both boys and people on the spectrum.

But they're not demanding any big research into that, because they're disingenuous little shits.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like surely they'll just accept that they'll have to wait for 6 months to a year to get possession, during which they'll still be being paid rent anyway.
Stamp duty is currently suspended so a lot of people are using the opportunity to upgrade to bigger houses. If they wait 6 months from September they might miss it.

In other thoughts, my parents just pointed out that they didn't go for a pub lunch this weekend because the pubs are 'probably going to be heaving with people having a meetup before the 6 people rule comes in.' One of their friends isn't doing the weekly video call because his family is having a get together before the new rule bans that sort of thing. This in the middle of a rise in cases.

Boomers. Not even once.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This is a daily occurrence

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
State aid is definitely worth breaking international law and risking the GFA over. I mean, it's not like the Japan deal has stricter rules on state aid than the WA or anything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tarnop posted:

This is a daily occurrence

My sister has to keep the tap in the basin in the upstairs bathroom* dripping slightly because her kitty (who looks like your kitty) will only drink water from that tap and jumps in the basin to do so. (Of course, when sister &co are away kitty will drink from an official water bowl.)

* she has a downstairs 'cloakroom' hence my reference to 'upstairs'. Else :guillotine:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 13, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

crispix posted:

I think it actually was "hypocrite".

Geniunely appreciated.

Pesky Splinter posted:

JK Rowling: drat, writing all this transphobia is getting a bit stale. What can I do to spice it up? Ah, maybe a bit of casual Islamaphobia.

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305175397848559621

"a plastic bag from a halal takeaway" is such wierd loving prose it's a sentence where dogwhistling has taken precedence over sounding like a human

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Vitamin P posted:

Geniunely appreciated.

"a plastic bag from a halal takeaway" is such wierd loving prose it's a sentence where dogwhistling has taken precedence over sounding like a human

Abso-loving-lutely. Halal isn’t a type of food for fucks sake. You go to an Indian takeaway (that is halal) or a Lebanese takeaway (that is halal). It’s not a food.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Strange isn't it how billionaires tend to struggle to stay grounded in reality.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My sister has to keep the tap in the basin in the upstairs bathroom dripping slightly because her kitty (who looks like your kitty) will only drink water from that tap and jumps in the basin to do so. (Of course, when sister &co are away kitty will drink from an official water bowl.)

You can buy cat fountains for >£10 that do the same without having to leave a tap on.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...htlight-3-litre

Pets at home linked but there are copycats on Amazon dependent on your love of Bezos etc.

Vitamin P posted:

Even in its world building and scene setting she couldn’t be arsed, just copy and pasted the Britain First post and let the editor rename things.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

Abso-loving-lutely. Halal isn’t a type of food for fucks sake. You go to an Indian takeaway (that is halal) or a Lebanese takeaway (that is halal). It’s not a food.

I was confused when I first went to live in Cairo why none of the eating places had Halal (حلال) on them (unlike every other place in Walthamstow). Then it dawned on me... duh ... every place was automatically halal. (Except the specialist pig butcher catering to the Copts and ex-pats.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

You can buy cat fountains for >£10 that do the same without having to leave a tap on.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...htlight-3-litre

Pets at home linked but there are copycats on Amazon dependent on your love of Bezos etc.

I'll tell her.
Thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

There are a bunch of chicken places in boro that specifically advertise themselves as halal takeaways so maybe that's the intent.

But still lol at the idea of *gasp* a halal takeaway, and a burqa. That's how you catch the forrin.

And now I want fried chicken for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

IMO the "loving hell, a burqa" line is more objectionable than the highlighted part anyway.