Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

sweet geek swag posted:

The monk may have been in some supplemental book in 2nd edition, but it was a standard class in the original 1st edition players handbook. For some reason they didn't put it it the 2nd edition players handbook, but to be fair a lot of 2nd edition AD&D was controversial.

Yeah, I think the monk, psionic, cavalier, and assassin classes were all removed for 2nd edition.

The psionic did come back as a class with the release of the Psionics Handbook, and the assassin was a 'kit' in the Thieves' Handbook, and cavalier and maybe monk were kits in the Fighters' Handbook.

Kits were pretty crummy overall, mostly minor tweaks to an existing class, rarely huge or fun changes. Like, maybe a thief kit would give bonuses to picking locks but penalties to climbing walls, or whatever.

And don't get me started on THAC0.

So in conclusion 2nd edition is a land of contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

GI_Clutch posted:

I lost my copy of The Color of Her Panties in junior high. Thankfully, the next day I saw it resting against the chalkboard in Mrs. Perez's room during either health class or English and I was able to grab it. I was surprised she didn't freak out over the title/cover with two topless women on it. I didn't think I was ever going to see if again.

Oh, she knew

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Inverted Icon posted:

Oh, she knew

She needed to know which student to watch out for

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

GI_Clutch posted:

I lost my copy of The Color of Her Panties in junior high. Thankfully, the next day I saw it resting against the chalkboard in Mrs. Perez's room during either health class or English and I was able to grab it. I was surprised she didn't freak out over the title/cover with two topless women on it. I didn't think I was ever going to see if again.

Such a dumb book and on top of it the actual color ended up being loving plaid. Pretty sure Jenny the elf, the one based on a real girl, featured in that one. I don't think an author should write stories about a quest for panties that feature any kind of character based on a real person they began corresponding with when that person was a minor.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Galewolf posted:

There was like maybe 3 girls out of 50 sweaty nerds so I think they were all Aes'Sedai (sic?) and true to my irl , they didn't talk to me :/

I was a random noble and there was a rival of me and things ended up getting so convoluted that the "important" (the Aes'Sedai and bunch of others) dominating the play.

I mean, it was quite nerdy but probably not nerdy as the Star Trek LARP we attended next year and my friend was a Klingon and he glued fusili wholewheat pasta to his forehead as his "prop" and I was playing a "deep Federation" diplomat trying to sabotage the peace talks and I gave the tracking codes of the Defiant to the Klingons and at the end the tabletop portion of the con playing Romulans came in as boarding party to "fake" attack both sides and one of our friends, a 6 foot 5 martial artist kneed one other friend in the crotch knocking him down because he was an uncoordinated caveman...

This fuckin' thread :negative:

hahaha, :nice:

never larped myself, just played tabletop poo poo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barudak posted:

The cover is great, yeah.

One of the best details in the book is that there are cosplayer conventions in the reality of the critique writer where people dress up like Hitlers characters and the description is basically garishly colorful wehrmacht stuff.

Snug black leather

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ya was a category invented by marketing

it appeared in the 00s

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

GI_Clutch posted:

Trap sprung for her.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

GI_Clutch posted:

Lmao that she didnt huck that poo poo straight into the bin

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wait. I'm sorry. You mean this-

Is not an edit? That's an edit joke title about something creepy in the story, right?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Black August posted:

Is not an edit? That's an edit joke title about something creepy in the story, right?

Buddy your quote has a wikipedia link to it what do you think.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black August posted:

Click the link you quoted. I double dog dare you

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Buddy your quote has a wikipedia link to it what do you think.

Didn't notice it at first. Was distracted by the huge title and trying to work through how it was a shop. I'm a little blindsided by it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Was it a thing in library classification before that? I think it was but I am not sure.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

Was it a thing in library classification before that? I think it was but I am not sure.

It was. Young adult, teen, and youth were all used fairly interchangeably up until the oughts when publishers really glommed onto young adult/YA as the term of choice.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am positive that I saw Young Adult as a label when I was a kid in the 90's. Although when I was 12-14, hardly any of it interested me. I didn't become a heavy reader until college.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Black August posted:

I picked up a Xanth book once and it was about a woman named Debra whose magic power was that her name made people want to remove her bra. Put it back down and walked away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think making GBS threads on women when talking about YA books comes from how society is kind of setup to poo poo all over things that young women like and YA books are mostly aimed at young women.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I picked up a Xanth book once and it was about a woman named Debra whose magic power was that her name made people want to remove her bra. Put it back down and walked away.

To he fair, that's a pretty funny pun and I actually like this.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

super sweet best pal posted:

Don't you get it? De-bra ...??

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You now, my father read probably 25 of these books at least and passed them on to his younger brother, who treasured them, and in his time passed them on to me. They connect me with them in a way that that is is inreacreatable. Without them, I would be a diffetent person, and I dont believe for the positive. Is it strange to say the piers anthony was one of the best influences on my life?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

That reminds me of the terrible Ayn Rand book Anthem, which takes place in a commune so horrible that they've banned the use of the word "I" and people may only use "We" instead. The main character wants to be a scientist but the people in charge of assigning jobs make him a street sweeper instead. He starts hiding in a tunnel to do science stuff and completely independently reinvents electricity and the light bulb (which had been lost after the communists took over.) He tries to share his invention with the commune but they hate him for being so good at stuff so he runs away with a young woman who conveniently also believes in individuality. They then find a house in the woods that was built by someone before the evil communists took over and live there the rest of their days, not seeing the irony of being independent only through someone else's hard work.

I can't think about anthem without thinking of thinking of the prog rock album 2112 by Rush.

In it, the dude finds a guitar rather than invents a lightbulb, and he kills himself and then the planet is invaded by aliens and everything goes to hell.

quote:

Side one of the album is occupied by the 20-minute futuristic science fiction song "2112". The seven-part track is based on a story by Peart, the band's primary lyricist, who credits "the genius of Ayn Rand" in the album's liner notes. Rand, a Russian-born, Jewish-American novelist, and inventor of the philosophy of Objectivism, wrote the 1937 dystopian fictional novella Anthem, the plot of which bears several similarities to 2112, and all members read the book. Peart added the credit to avoid any legal action. The credit caused the band significant negative publicity, with many labeling them right-wing extremists. In the British paper NME, Barry Miles made allusions to Nazism, which particularly offended Lee, whose parents were Holocaust survivors. The first and last sections, "Overture" and "Grand Finale", respectively, are instrumental and borrow a short sequence from 1812 Overture by Pyotr Tchaikovsky. The "Overture" features an introduction from graphic designer and musician Hugh Syme performed on an ARP Odyssey synthesizer with an Echoplex Delay pedal. Music writer and professor Rob Bowman calculated that in the entire piece, 2:34 of the song contains improvised guitar solos. "Overture" contains the lyric "And the meek shall inherit the earth", a reference to the Biblical passages Book of Psalms 37:11 and Matthew 5:5.

"2112" tells a story set in the city of Megadon in the year 2112, "where individualism and creativity are outlawed with the population controlled by a cabal of malevolent Priests who reside in the Temples of Syrinx". A galaxy-wide war resulted in the planets forcefully joining the Solar Federation (symbolized by the "Red Star"). By 2112, the world is controlled by the priests who take orders from giant banks of computers inside the temple. Music is unknown in this world absent of creativity and individuality, but in "Discovery", a nameless man finds a beaten guitar inside a cave and rediscovers the lost art of music. In "Presentation", the man takes the guitar to the priests at the temple, who say, "Yes, we know, it's nothing new; it's just a waste of time", and then proceed angrily to destroy it and banish him. Next, in "Oracle: The Dream", the man dreams of a new planet, established at the same time as the Solar Federation, where creative people live. He awakens, depressed that music is part of such a civilization and that he can never be part of it, and kills himself, in "Soliloquy", originally titled "Soliloquy of the Soul". Another planetary war begins in "Grand Finale", originally named "Denouement", resulting in the ambiguous spoken ending: "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control". Peart described the ending as a "double surprise ... a real Hitchcock killer".

Much better than Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZm1_jtY1SQ

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Coxswain Balls posted:

On the other hand
(Melt Wizard: Weis and Hickman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSlmpDQIH8

I'm super into this record now. Something about the emo and the fantasy just works.

I never read Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms books but having played Baldur's Gate a lot I don't care about Drizzt, but I came to really like the stories of the deities of the Forgotten Realms and their various dramas. I mean, it's obvious how they use the Time of Troubles or the Second Sundering to rewrite the rulebook, but I don't know, the drama of the gods is pretty neat. For instance in Baldur's Gate 2, you are in Athkatla and a lot of people worship Waukeen, the god of commerce. But reading up on it, Waukeen I think was actually missing through this whole period, secretly imprisoned in Hell. Lliira took over Waukeen's business in the meantime until Waukeen was freed a couple years later. The game doesn't mention any of this but it's a pretty interesting concept to me.

Also in the game you explore two ruined temples of Amaunator, who at the time was a lost god who had been replaced by Lathander. But then later Amaunator comes back, or maybe Lathander is an aspect of Amaunator? People in the setting don't even know.

Reading everyone's posts about Dragonriders of Pern, WoT, Thomas Covenant and Swrod of Turth makes me loving glad I never read any of those, I remember people recommending them to me.

I pretty much learned to read a book by reading the Hobbit with my mom. I thought that I read Piers Anthony back in the day but it turned out it was this book Master of the Five Magics by Lyndon Hardy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics
Which I remember being a pretty good story. Don't know why I though it was Anthony.

from wikipedia: "The song "Five Magics" by Megadeth was inspired by this book"

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 13, 2020

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Every third BBS user in the 90s went by Drizzt or Raistlin.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I read the first Icewind Dale book when I as 11 for a school project and did a diorama of those dudes fighting the ice giant.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Caesar Saladin posted:

I read the first Icewind Dale book when I as 11 for a school project and did a diorama of those dudes fighting the ice giant.

That sounds cool, I always love diorama projects

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

VideoTapir posted:

Every third BBS user in the 90s went by Drizzt or Raistlin.

raistlin was basically the sephiroth for its time

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sweet geek swag posted:

The monk may have been in some supplemental book in 2nd edition, but it was a standard class in the original 1st edition players handbook. For some reason they didn't put it it the 2nd edition players handbook, but to be fair a lot of 2nd edition AD&D was controversial.

I completely misremembered that and thought it was from Unearthed Arcana.

the 1e core books should go in this thread, come to think of it. they're some of the worst instruction sets I've ever read in my life, barring bad translation

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Caesar Saladin posted:

hell yes

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I think the only genuinely funny joke Piers Anthony ever told in Xanth was that he originally intended the books to be a trilogy, but they kept selling so he kept making it an "extended" trilogy.

He named his 27th book Cube Rout and declared it the end of the first Xanth trilogy.

When that book came out I was already well over his writing, but I remember thinking, yeah okay that's pretty good.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To he fair, that's a pretty funny pun and I actually like this.

Wait this reminds me, did anyone every read any of the MythAdeventure books? They were like a slightly less creepy Xanth. I just thought of it because the girl in them was named Tanda, T-and-a, get it?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Jaxts posted:

I think the only genuinely funny joke Piers Anthony ever told in Xanth was that he originally intended the books to be a trilogy, but they kept selling so he kept making it an "extended" trilogy.

He named his 27th book Cube Rout and declared it the end of the first Xanth trilogy.

When that book came out I was already well over his writing, but I remember thinking, yeah okay that's pretty good.

there were five books in the Hitchhiker trilogy, but the Xanth books were published first, so I will very grudgingly grant him that one

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

That owns. In 4th grade I wrote a short story for a school project that was based on the videogame Hexen and I will always distinctly remember my teacher giving me a lovely grade because they didn't know words like "mage" and thought I was just writing gibberish

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

deep dish peat moss posted:

That owns. In 4th grade I wrote a short story for a school project that was based on the videogame Hexen and I will always distinctly remember my teacher giving me a lovely grade because they didn't know words like "mage" and thought I was just writing gibberish

lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Empty Sandwich posted:

the 1e core books should go in this thread, come to think of it. they're some of the worst instruction sets I've ever read in my life, barring bad translation

1e dmg is basically outsider art

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i got in a huge argument with a teacher when I was 5 or 6 because i insisted that 'fiend' could refer to an actual demon and not just a 'real tv fiend' or something

i also got in trouble for drawing the big minotaur you can summon in Hexen when we were supposed to be painting a picture of how some dumb piece of music made us feel. it made me feel like i wanted to think about the minotaur from hexen.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just thinking about that 'taur

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

sebmojo posted:

Just thinking about that 'taur

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Empty Sandwich posted:

They tried to warn you by naming it "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" but you didn't listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Piers Anthony also wrote a tetralogy called the Mode Series which features travel between different dimensions. There's a dimension where all women wear diapers, and a wizard guy from there arrives on earth and is scandalized by the heroine's tight jeans. The narration takes every opportunity to mention how shocked, shocked he is by her immodest attire, and the phrase "genital contours" is used. Then there's another different dimension where everyone wears color-coded underwear. Apparently one of the later books has human-on-horse sex and also a catgirl named Pussy, but I dropped it after the first two.