Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you play a tribal society, should you eventually move into clan or feudal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The VIET Events mod from CK2 has it's first version for CK3.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tribals can't progress past the tribal tech tree, nor can they upgrade their buildings higher than tier 2, so yeah, sooner or later you have to feudalize if you want to keep up.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 13, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Almost the other way around. Once your reformed religion gets big and its fervor start dropping, it'll get "heresies" - but the only possible heresy will be the old faith, so people will randomly convert back to unreformed every decade or so.

I mainly meant would Islam, Christianity and any other established religion spread without rulers of the respective religions having to conquer everything first.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

FrickenMoron posted:

You're pretty much forced to. Tribal governments are soft-capped for development at 20 (10 without the innovation) and can't build good improvements or new holdings. When everyone else is feudal and earning as much money from a single county that your entire kingdom earns you as a tribal ruler, you'll be sorry.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 13, 2020

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ethiser posted:

I mainly meant would Islam, Christianity and any other established religion spread without rulers of the respective religions having to conquer everything first.
Oh! I don't...think so, don't remember seeing any events along those lines.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Regarding the other replies, I read this question as more, "does tribal transition into clan or feudal better?" If that's the actual question I'm curious as well, being that I don't know the progress/transition mechanics yet. On the first tribal game now and only second gen/single empire.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Wish there were some more honorary titles, any good mods that add some?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have progressed another 10 years and I haven't really changed this map (I tore off a duchy from Kaabu for my second son) and I'm really paralyzed in terms of building the long-term plan for the next 25 years lol

The three great empires of the north all have 15k troops compared to my 5k. They all have rich heartlands but the gap is mainly from my lack of development and low crown authority too, right? Could I focus on internal development enough to catch up? The lack of a solid core domain has probably been hamstringing me as well, the succession has always kept everything outside the capital county changing hands, but it's not like I can afford to build anything besides in the capital anyway.

In terms of geopolitics I am thinking about focusing my energy on befriending the Byzantines, on the logic that if either of the other powers go after me they would be in the position to engage them. Maybe I'm most likely to end up in conflict with the Nasraddin? Nubia seems like a reasonable next step to expand. Maybe I will link up that one county exclave near Ajuraan that I've had over there for a century lol

So here's my advice on internal development and your situation:

In my current game in eastern Iran I'm playing as 867 Saffarids trying to revive Persia/Zoroastrianism. Early on I made it a personal priority to get my hands on the duchy of Yazd, which is a three county (less than I'd like) duchy with a holy site (ideal) and 5 holding slots per county (ideal). By building a Great Temple in the special building slot, because it's a holy site, I both get a big chunk of monthly change for the temple itself but ALSO increase the tax value of all holdings in that duchy. Great Church/Mosques/Temples are a big loving deal yo! I'm in the mid 900s AD and from having my Steward rustle up my Development closer to 20, the Great Temple, and intensively developing my personal holdings in the duchy of Yazd and building lots of temples and cities in the empty holding slots I am now making 35 gold a month and about a third of that is coming from the county of Yazd by itself.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I really hope they do something about seductions soon cause in a big empire visiting the empress's chambers is like

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Regarding the other replies, I read this question as more, "does tribal transition into clan or feudal better?" If that's the actual question I'm curious as well, being that I don't know the progress/transition mechanics yet. On the first tribal game now and only second gen/single empire.

I think only Islamic realms can switch to clan government, and vice versa can't become feudal. So I don't think you have a choice?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Captain Oblivious posted:

In my current game in eastern Iran I'm playing as 867 Saffarids trying to revive Persia/Zoroastrianism. Early on I made it a personal priority to get my hands on the duchy of Yazd, which is a three county (less than I'd like) duchy with a holy site (ideal) and 5 holding slots per county (ideal). By building a Great Temple in the special building slot, because it's a holy site, I both get a big chunk of monthly change for the temple itself but ALSO increase the tax value of all holdings in that duchy. Great Church/Mosques/Temples are a big loving deal yo! I'm in the mid 900s AD and from having my Steward rustle up my Development closer to 20, the Great Temple, and intensively developing my personal holdings in the duchy of Yazd and building lots of temples and cities in the empty holding slots I am now making 35 gold a month and about a third of that is coming from the county of Yazd by itself.

Isfahan is the capital your looking for. Fairly sure the Friday Mosque is still active under zoroastrians as long as it's been built already.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think only Islamic realms can switch to clan government, and vice versa can't become feudal. So I don't think you have a choice?

This is true, but I actually think it's pretty doable to convert, adopt, and then promptly convert back without much issue.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Isfahan is the capital your looking for. Fairly sure the Friday Mosque is still active under zoroastrians as long as it's been built already.

I'm aware of Isfahan my dude. The post was more about general principles of economic development, keeping to parallels that can be applied to their game, in my specific game the Abbasids ate Isfahan early and I was unable to pick that fight until very recently.

It's planned to be my second duchy. I'm uncertain if it will actually outperform Yazd though, because the 2 raw gold from a Great Temple (which the Friday Mosque lacks) has a compounding effect with the holding tax bonus. Isfahan also does not have the raw quantity of holding slots Yazd does. I'll have to see how they shake out once they're closer to par.

Baghdad is also pretty juicy with the House of Wisdom and an absolute ton of counties. The middle east is lousy with good special buildings.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Special Buildings. I've realised that if one of your counties have a special building slot, but seemingly no building to place there, it's most likely because it's the holy site of another religion. Seems every religion can build a special temple at each of their holy sites that gives a pretty substantial bonus, and a nice +5% renown modifier each.

Edit: Uh, so the spouse of my heir got bored of sitting around in my court and decided to wander off. Seems she wandered into the court of some random norse duke that decided to make her a concubine, force-divorcing her from my heir. Anything I can do about this?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 13, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Is there much of a penalty for destroying a kingdom title? Especially if I did it right before I die?

I'm the king of scotland and the king of a made up kingdom that includes most of scotland... so scotland itself is like 2 duchies. My succession plan is smooth except the kingdom of scotland title is being punted to the 2nd son since I have 2 kingdom titles. I figure if I just destroy it, those two duchies will be part of my custom kingdom now and everything should be fine?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Would it be hard for a modded to add a “if character belongs to female dominated religion, prefer matrilineal marriages” check?

people have been trying ti fix it since release, paradox has to fix it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh good to know! My capital is a holy site and the first thing I did after feudalizing was build the temple. The capital duchy is split between myself and two different vassals though. Maybe I should just eat the tyranny penalty while everyone is happy and consolidate that.

Though I'm still in normal Partition. I have 10 kids. I have set up my second and third sons with duchies but even if I did take ownership of all the counties that would end up getting split up to the other kids right?

Edit: Also so I understand from other sources that generally each step down the vassal chain you get about 10% of tax/levies -- does this apply to baronies as well? So is spending gold to build buildings in cities and temples only 10% as effective in tax as in the castle I hold directy? (The bonuses that some of those buildings get seem powerful so I guess they are worth it regardless but I think I need to prioritize gold/levies)

Did another 5 years and managed to get up to 7500 troops. Meanwhile the northern empires are up to 20k :stare:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 13, 2020

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Thinking the Britannia reclamation is gonna have to wait for my next heir, fuckin Sweden is such a pain to deal with. And they're the only ones left so I have to eat a bunch of penalties if I keep breaking truces.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

i think of demons posted:

When I saw the Stonehenge/Alexandrian Catechism synergy:

Bahaha

Also, Alexandrian Catechism is secretly one of the best tenets in the game. I got the Way of Life achievement easily during a Coptic Ethiopia playthrough.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

strong bird posted:

You'd think that with the new dynasty system, it would be an excellent time (and method) to add “strongly prefer matrilineal for dynasty women” perk or rule, or even be able to set it so that the dynasty head has final say in all proposals or something if you upgrade it enough.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What does Alexandrian Catechism do?

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Eimi posted:

What does Alexandrian Catechism do?
+20% Monthly Learning Lifestyle Experience

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tippis posted:

even be able to set it so that the dynasty head has final say in all proposals or something if you upgrade it enough.
That sounds like it would make it hell on earth to be the head of a large dynasty.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I'm only 200 years into the game and my dynasty has over 400 living members, the marriage popups would never stop.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
My high-stewardship, empire-founding ruler died ten years too late. Her genius son and heir, that I had such hopes for, used this time to marry a mediocre hunchback* and hastily father three children. Still, his high learning made hopeful this would be a pious reign full of religious achievement.

When he inherited however I discovered he was plotting to murder his lovely, genius sister! I quickly put a stop to that, and was thankful he inherited before any damage was done. Then a friend visited him and said, 'But the murders... I don't think we can be friends any more'.

I wish there was a way to find out how many murders :ohdear:

*If any hunchbacks read this I am sorry, I have scoliosis myself, this game has made me a terrible person

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

strong bird posted:

Yeah the AI really does not seem to understand matrilineal marriage at all. It's so bad that even women who are currently rulers will just standard marry themselves to people and voluntarily extinguish their own dynasty for no reason. Even in a non-female dominated religion this makes no sense to do. It should probably still be allowed to happen sometimes, but the positive factors should need to be very strong for them to consider it. An empress from a legendary dynasty should not be standard marrying themselves to some scrub son of a count.

Oh dear me posted:

My high-stewardship, empire-founding ruler died ten years too late. Her genius son and heir, that I had such hopes for, used this time to marry a mediocre hunchback* and hastily father three children. Still, his high learning made hopeful this would be a pious reign full of religious achievement.

When he inherited however I discovered he was plotting to murder his lovely, genius sister! I quickly put a stop to that, and was thankful he inherited before any damage was done. Then a friend visited him and said, 'But the murders... I don't think we can be friends any more'.

I wish there was a way to find out how many murders :ohdear:

*If any hunchbacks read this I am sorry, I have scoliosis myself, this game has made me a terrible person

Check out your personal secrets on the intrigue tab.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I decided to try forming a Bactrian empire starting with the last landed Zunbil, and I finally have everything! Except the decision requires a feudal government, and you can't switch from clan even if you change your religion. I think I'm annoyed enough to put the game away for a while.

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender

Almos start. Do the Almost There achievement (create Hungary, converted to Catholicism). Realize my wife cannot bear any children and I just nixed out the ability to have concubines. Whatever, roll with it and have my one and only son. Poland is a bunch of small independents that I roll up and create the Kingdom of Poland a year or two before Almos dies. Grant it to, uh, idc my eldest grandson cause that's the only adult grandson I have, even though he already owned a duchy in Hungary.

Almos passes away. And now I have this absolute border gore. I'm allied with my son, King of Poland, and he keeps on getting involved in all these holy wars so I'm kind of going with the flow and following along. He's also my heir, so if he can keep his poo poo together I get to play as Poland-Hungary? Neat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a cap on the number of Friends you can have, or ways to lose that status?

I have been constantly using Befriend but only have 7 Friends (with the +60 bonus), others are no longer considered Friends and have a decaying "Friendly" modifier

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the AI really does not seem to understand matrilineal marriage at all. It's so bad that even women who are currently rulers will just standard marry themselves to people and voluntarily extinguish their own dynasty for no reason. Even in a non-female dominated religion this makes no sense to do. It should probably still be allowed to happen sometimes, but the positive factors should need to be very strong for them to consider it. An empress from a legendary dynasty should not be standard marrying themselves to some scrub son of a count.

The worst part is they will marry themselves to random, lowborn nobodies... in a standard marriage. People they could easily arrange a matrilineal marriage with.

As far as I can tell, modders have tried to fix it, to no avail. Something that's not in the code modders can touch is causing the issue.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

And since I like to play Crusader Queen's with all the fun gender law options, it's really game breaking. :negative:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

with all the hype they had regarding the new religion system you think they would have checked to see if the AI could actually make use of one of the core facets of it. hopefully they changed something simple in a late patch and didnt check.

the amount of time theyre waiting to do a patch doesnt fill me with confidence though

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm playing as Haesteinn and successfully invaded Aquitaine. Now I have a bunch of holdings and next to no one to give them to. In CK2 you could randomly create vassals but I'm not seeing an option here.

How am I supposed to hand out lands when my court has a single unlanded courtier?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm playing as Haesteinn and successfully invaded Aquitaine. Now I have a bunch of holdings and next to no one to give them to. In CK2 you could randomly create vassals but I'm not seeing an option here.

How am I supposed to hand out lands when my court has a single unlanded courtier?

You can select the barony and grant it to a low noble (the game will generate one), then hand the county to that character.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If you have a nice stable kingdom/empire as a Catholic, don't ever bother trying to find secrets in your court. All it does is give you non-stop choices between losing a level of devotion or pissing off entire swathes of families/vassals as you compulsively throw them in prison for constantly boning their siblings/grandparents/peasants.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Wooing the daughter of a minor noble, I wrote her poetry and pursued her. I took her on a walk in the woods and had to save her as a wolf almost stole her from me. After I saved her we fell deeply in love.

My wife and soulmate of many years bore me three children. A wonderful smart boy heir, a sadistic little poo poo, and an incredibly smart daughter. She was well liked by the entire court and was always getting me to read in order to better myself. She helped tutor folks on my council and helped them to fulfill their potential.

Sadly tragedy struck as our son and heir was murdered in his 17th year. There were no leads and I turned to the bottle to heal the pains of missing my boy. My wife and I were always together as we grieved.

My much younger middle child was a monster. He was a sadistic thing that delighted in cruelty. Time and time again I tried to help make him into a better person but to little avail. As he grew he became bloodthirsty and angry. Was this what my legacy would be? A tyrant who delighted in suffering?

As I approached the age of 57, my spymaster revealed a plot he had uncovered. My beloved wife and mother of my children had been cheating on me. After we married she continued to sleep with the father of her first child. It wasn’t just that. My sadistic poo poo of an heir was not mine!

I told her I did not love her anymore and it destroyed her. Before I could sit down to have the divorce, she died. I hope it was of a broken heart.

At this point I quit playing for the time. It wasn’t until an hour later I had the horrible realization. The murderer of my firstborn and heir had never been caught. MY WIFE AND HER LOVER HAD KILLED MY FIRSTBORN, HER SON, IN ORDER TO PUT THIER KID ON THE THRONE!!!?

Game owns.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

eXXon posted:

You can create a new kingdom with a high cost and some prerequisites. But usually vassals can't gain titles at the same rank as their liege without a fight.

With this in mind, can you get out from under your liege by pressing a claim for a kingdom level title? I have the opportunity to take Lotharingia in my game but I'm not sure if it'll be worthwhile while I'm still a vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

The worst part is they will marry themselves to random, lowborn nobodies... in a standard marriage. People they could easily arrange a matrilineal marriage with.

As far as I can tell, modders have tried to fix it, to no avail. Something that's not in the code modders can touch is causing the issue.

I'm wondering if this is just some kind of fallback thing for performance, where instead of actually arranging a marriage by looking for eligible candidates, it just generates a lowborn spouse for them, and they forgot to put a check on the gender of the ruler to ensure that if it's a woman it puts them into a matrilineal marriage.