Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah so the public health danger from particulates goes up exponentially with increased concentration and there's some evidence that PM2.5 from forest fires is worse than any sort of "normal" industrial emissions. I'll have to see if I can dig up the study but my first environmental job was with the state doing open burn and controlled burn enforcement/permitting. It's real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

dang that's a weird wild fire

quote:

The fire burned through slash on the ground created during logging operations to salvage cedar trees blown down during a 2003 hurricane. The flames crept deep into the peat soils where it continued to smolder and spread, eventually spreading back up to vegetation on the surface of the ground. The depth of the fire created lots of work for firefighters. Crews spent weeks flooding hot areas with an extensive water delivery system including multiple pumps and hoses to thoroughly soak hot spots to prevent the fire from growing.

wack

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Rah! posted:

igloos are made out of white squares

of course karen identifies with them lmao :vince:

lol

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Something fun that you might not have thought about is that it’s not only too smoky to go outside, but it’s also weirdly cold because the sun doesn’t work any more. Right now it is three in the morning, and 54 degrees. It’s supposed to get to maybe 68 all day. That’s a small spread to begin with, but if it’s anything like the last few days, it won’t hit the predicted high at all.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Real Mean Queen posted:

Something fun that you might not have thought about is that it’s not only too smoky to go outside, but it’s also weirdly cold because the sun doesn’t work any more. Right now it is three in the morning, and 54 degrees. It’s supposed to get to maybe 68 all day. That’s a small spread to begin with, but if it’s anything like the last few days, it won’t hit the predicted high at all.

it's 47 here right now. i am most comfortable from temps 30-50, so if there's any silver lining to the smoke, it's that i am comfortable temperature-wise especially since it was in the hundreds for the previous like 3 weeks before all the fires.

unfortunately all the smoke has also severely pissed off my allergies and asthma, so any positive of this is more than offset by the fact that i can't fuckin breathe.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
posting my own tweet since it’s easier to post pics this way.. the smoke this morning is loving insane

https://twitter.com/louisgodd/status/1305160281195032581?s=21

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah smoke in Seattle is visually worse than yesterday. I can't see halfway down the block anymore.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So about that thing we talked about where tropical storms can be more dangerous to places like New Orleans because they linger and dump fuckloads of water instead of blasting clean through the city . . . ?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just got a text that TS Sally is expected to hit the city as a Cat 2. Gonna round out my prep by working a double today for a restaurant that gives zero fucks about its employees.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just got a text that TS Sally is expected to hit the city as a Cat 2. Gonna round out my prep by working a double today for a restaurant that gives zero fucks about its employees.
The latest NHC forecast has it as a 1

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be so much rain

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the difference between a Cat 1 or 2 here is negligible. The problem is Sally is moving slow. For a city that floods during a 30 minute rainstorm, New Orleans is gonna eat poo poo from a slow TS or hurricane.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

forgot where I saw it yesterday but some city in OR had a reading over 1300 at one point. I think it was eugene or salem

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

At three in the morning it was 54 degrees. Now, half an hour to noon, it is 55 degrees. Please take a minute and think about what it means for there to be so much smoke in the air that the sun stops working.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real Mean Queen posted:

At three in the morning it was 54 degrees. Now, half an hour to noon, it is 55 degrees. Please take a minute and think about what it means for there to be so much smoke in the air that the sun stops working.

So you're saying we can counter global warming if we just burn down all the forests?

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Isn't that like proof that nuclear winter theory was right in a way? Burn up so many things that it ends up filling the entire atmosphere with particulates that it drops the entire average degrees on earth?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PostNouveau posted:

So you're saying we can counter global warming if we just burn down all the forests?

A large volcano going off would do it too

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Please, someone who's good at math: How much larger would the west coast fires have to be in order to maintain the IPCC 1.5-degree target, assuming they kept burning continuously for the next 1000 years?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol I just realized Tom Ridge was right just the chemical weapon attack was from burning our forests down that owns (us)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
reducing sunlight also reduces oceanic and terrestrial carbon sequestration via photosynthesis and causes a host of other problems but temporarily? sure blocking out the sun has immediate day to day effects

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the applebees dining room is closed due to a pandemic but we can still eat outside with 600 aqi, hell yeah getting some incredibowls

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

reducing sunlight also reduces oceanic and terrestrial carbon sequestration via photosynthesis and causes a host of other problems but temporarily? sure blocking out the sun has immediate day to day effects

OK we'll burn down the ground forest and start building the sky forests

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol It’s 92F in Pomona, but this morning when there was a giant ash cloud it was 62, which is insane considering just last week the lows were in the 80s and expected to stay that way.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Spoondick posted:

the applebees dining room is closed due to a pandemic but we can still eat outside with 600 aqi, hell yeah getting some incredibowls

i was just thinking it might be worth dying for an incredibowl

fiestabowl not so much

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

welp

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1305257005846851585

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we don’t know alot from those days but we know it was us who scorched the sky

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Direct hit!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Throw another thousand dead on the pile and laugh at the flies

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Well, it'll be fine. FEMA will be there to help out.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That storm track is very unfortunate for flooding/storm surge around Lake Pontchartrain, hopefully it doesn't strengthen much.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pryor on Fire posted:

That storm track is very unfortunate for flooding/storm surge around Lake Pontchartrain, hopefully it doesn't strengthen much.

"Hopefully the fire doesn't get worse as it burns its way through all those fireworks and fertilizer factories and oil refineries. Fingers crossed!" :shepface:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't get the joke? Storms often don't strengthen much or as much as forecast when they form in the gulf, it's a pretty regular thing. Let me have some optimism cspam

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Sep 14, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't get the joke? Storms often don't strengthen much or as much as forecast when they form in the gulf, it's a pretty regular thing. Let me have some optimism cspam

*taps calendar*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This got me wondering, what’s the AQI of a lungful of cigarette smoke?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

TACD posted:

This got me wondering, what’s the AQI of a lungful of cigarette smoke?

This was actually calculated during the Black Summer bushfires here in Sydney

quote:

A respiratory diseases expert has estimated the effect on your lungs of inhaling Sydney’s current fire haze is the equivalent of smoking 32 cigarettes.

And hazardous chemicals in the smoke could adversely affect the babies of pregnant women or cause heart attacks in people with underlying cardiac conditions.

Associate Professor Brian Oliver has analysed the levels of smoke-related particulate, or soot, pollution since the acrid-tasting air from the state’s bushfires moved over the city this week.

Dr Oliver, a University of Technology respiratory diseases scientist, says the current air quality conditions are “as bad as they get”.

He has analysed the latest smoke particle pollution – called PM2.5 – reading from the NSW Department of Environment.

Compared with a normal reading of between five and eight, it was a whopping 641 on Thursday, which Oliver says is the equivalent of spending the day smoking 32 cigarettes.

On Tuesday, greater Sydney’s highest-polluted areas clocked a reading of 734, the equivalent of lighting up 40 cigarettes.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...e76e35894f949f6

So people good at maths can work it out from that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Pryor on Fire posted:

sorry bud, this is the doom thread. you might be thinking about the serious, non-doom thread over in SA&L

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Helith posted:

This was actually calculated during the Black Summer bushfires here in Sydney

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...e76e35894f949f6

So people good at maths can work it out from that.

Smoking one cigarette in a phone booth with the door closed results in a 600 PM2.5

https://occup-med.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1745-6673-7-14

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

my friend is volunteering in refugee shelters in new Orleans for all of the people displaced by hurricane Laura (remember that one?)

Apparently there are STILL 12,000 people in shelters in nolo alone... and they are prepping for a mandatory evac of all of them. Maximum chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Thesaurus posted:

my friend is volunteering in refugee shelters in new Orleans for all of the people displaced by hurricane Laura (remember that one?)

Apparently there are STILL 12,000 people in shelters in nolo alone... and they are prepping for a mandatory evac of all of them. Maximum chaos.

Cascading refugee evacuations
Weeee