Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Just wait, and then flip the switch by the pawn shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nosfereefer posted:

It's even better, since you're literally not homeless. The entire Hobocop line of thought is a "what if" that kind of makes sense in the first act of the game. But you're not. It all falls apart when you realize that you have been on a steady paycheck for years, and even doing well during your breakdowns.

but you could be the hobocop

The real fun part is that Hobocop is arguably a great trait to have rather than the other unless you're keen on amphetamines

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Marin Karin posted:

Just wait, and then flip the switch by the pawn shop.

Cool thanks.

Gotta say, for all of this games attention to detail I find it weird that no one seems to have anything to say about the entire city block, port, commercial district just totally being blocked off for days, maybe more. Like, no one can come or go in this 1 block square radius but it's not a plot point at all. Just some gameplay based gatekeeping that gets explained away by a throwaway line about maintenance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just wait.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Just wait.

Well drat. Now I am intrigued.

Now that I am thinking about it I have no idea how the gently caress Kim drove out of there with the body

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Tequila Sunset wishes he had the driving skills of Kim Kitsuragi

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Just wait.

Yeah everything you think is odd or has a simple-on-the-surface explanation is actually wrapped up in something more complex. The writing is incredible that way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gotta say that I'm still a little bit miffed about how the game refuses to let you use that information in any way even if you figure out exactly where the killer is, via Visual Calculus on the crime scene.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

veni veni veni posted:

Well drat. Now I am intrigued.

Now that I am thinking about it I have no idea how the gently caress Kim drove out of there with the body

He mentions how he got in at some point, and he presumably got out the same way.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Gotta say that I'm still a little bit miffed about how the game refuses to let you use that information in any way even if you figure out exactly where the killer is, via Visual Calculus on the crime scene.

The game also says that that trajectory is a one in a thousand shot and the other two alternatives it provides are far more likely. Makes sense to check them out first.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

The game also says that that trajectory is a one in a thousand shot and the other two alternatives it provides are far more likely. Makes sense to check them out first.

Yeah but once I checked out the other two places I had like 2 days left until the next story beat and I couldn't follow up on that real clue that I figured out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
What was slowing you down? I'm pretty sure I beat the game on Thursday, and would bet you can on Wedsnesday.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tylana posted:

What was slowing you down? I'm pretty sure I beat the game on Thursday, and would bet you can on Wedsnesday.

you can't get a boat out to the island until after the tribunal

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that's impossible because you spend the day following the tribunal unconscious so you can only finish by friday :colbert:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, I guess my brain skipped over one night for reasons. Fair point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did anybody manage to get the boots? How much do you get for them?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah but once I checked out the other two places I had like 2 days left until the next story beat and I couldn't follow up on that real clue that I figured out.
The second location is underneath the Field building and thus directly before the Tribunal.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Did anybody manage to get the boots? How much do you get for them?

Yes. You can't pawn clothes, but they are neat.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

??? Place #2 is immediately prior to the tribunal and you go to the island immediately after the tribunal.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I do feel like the location is vague enough that I went on the pier and said “Well it’s definitely not here, that’s the second one.” Since the game conceals the actual second location behind the mural check.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think there's an environmental cue you can find, where you can go, "hey Kim looks like a hole somebody could shoot out of huh?" And Kim says you gotta get inside to confirm it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something I have been wondering. When you right click/tab things will show up in green/yellow/white. Green means you can directly interact, yellow seems to mean you can interact but requires a skill check, and white...?

Does it just mean you can interact with the object at a later time but not now?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay, I'm dumb. The treatment of religion is just different enough to throw me off, though I don't remember if there's an explicitly religious character.

I just looked through that text file and I guess Measurehead says that he’s ‘waiting on immaculate conception from the pale’. Its been a while since I played it and I don’t remember much of his dialogue aside from the phrenology stuff, but I would imagine his character would be religious.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Something I have been wondering. When you right click/tab things will show up in green/yellow/white. Green means you can directly interact, yellow seems to mean you can interact but requires a skill check, and white...?

I thought the not green ones were color coded to the stat? I'm pretty sure the skill check ones are, at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

veni veni veni posted:

White means it's locked.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Carry a crowbar in your hand to open some containers. Not really a spoiler as you can't interact with them otherwise.

EDIT : I forget if that's white or blue outlines though.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tylana posted:

Carry a crowbar in your hand to open some containers. Not really a spoiler as you can't interact with them otherwise.

EDIT : I forget if that's white or blue outlines though.

blue means you can open it because of a tool you're holding, I think

and I assume yellow things you can interact with because of your Perception

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
well, those pants certainly aren't doing either of their savoir faire skills any favors

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm nearing the end of day 3. I think I've explored everywhere and done most of the objectives I can do atm, talked to everyone etc. I like the game a lot, but I am either hoping some big shakeup happens soon or it just starts to wrap up. I feel like the story is starting to drag a bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm nearing the end of day 3. I think I've explored everywhere and done most of the objectives I can do atm, talked to everyone etc. I like the game a lot, but I am either hoping some big shakeup happens soon or it just starts to wrap up. I feel like the story is starting to drag a bit.

That's pretty much exactly what happens on day 4, so

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Imhotep posted:

I just looked through that text file and I guess Measurehead says that he’s ‘waiting on immaculate conception from the pale’. Its been a while since I played it and I don’t remember much of his dialogue aside from the phrenology stuff, but I would imagine his character would be religious.

Referencing the doctrine of immaculate conception is a rather interesting choice. The immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary as the only example of man without original sin contrasted with conception through the inhuman and incomprehensible pale? Perhaps Measurehead’s imagined perfect human species can only be conceived and born in the most inhospitable and human place, or perhaps it was just a dumb joke and I’m reading too much into it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/DiscoExcerpt/status/1306924948355715074

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I like saying that to the one chill lowry driver and he just gives a cautious thumbs up.

Kim is sighing in the corner of my eye

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wonder if the idea to make the main character a cop started as some sort of explanation as to why you can say all this absolutely crazy poo poo and nobody calls health services or throws you out of their store.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They say "People are more likely to tolerate weird behavior from cops" at some point early on, I forget when

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hwurmp posted:

They say "People are more likely to tolerate weird behavior from cops" at some point early on, I forget when

Loading screen.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wonder if the idea to make the main character a cop started as some sort of explanation as to why you can say all this absolutely crazy poo poo and nobody calls health services or throws you out of their store.

This had to be part of it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I do think part of the decision was driven by a genuine
enjoyment of cop shows. I don't remember where I heard this, but really early on in development the aim was to be very much a buddy cop kinda game and have the duo of Mclain and Torson be the focus.

I think after the commercial failure of the first novel in the setting the idea was to create something a broader audience would be interested in, and they landed on the cop show style as a way to draw people in.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

at this rate I should just learn estonian rather than waiting for the book's english translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

at this rate I should just learn estonian rather than waiting for the book's english translation

Estonian is close enough to Finnish that it is mutually understandable if the speaker wishes to make it so. So good luck with that.