Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

That's hardware. That's not an example at all. Try again.
Christmas 1988: Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Christmas 1996: Super Mario 64
Christmas 1998: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Christmas 2009: New Super Mario Bros.

Those are examples I can specifically remember, not counting shortage of pack-in titles and systems themselves.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is definitely a contender title for Switch game most likely to run into shortage given past history. Now, sure, you can always buy the digital version and that will offset some customer frustration, but you better believe it's going to regularly run out of stock at stores between now and the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How do y'all deal with your forces when it's getting real big in Disgaea 5? Just make a grouping of the ten best and focus all attention on them? I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed (which I guess is a constant feeling in D5 until you figure out the mechanic in question).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched some of the PC Mario 64 HD today and seriously it looks like poo poo. I don't know why some people want it to look like that. I understand some people want widescreen or 60fps, fine, but I've seen people complaining about the models and textures. The high res textures and more "on model" characters in the one I watched looked completely incongruous. Like someone plugged in weird models from some YouTube bot.

Seriously who the hell prefers that?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have Mario 64 on my Wii in my closet, my classic controller and wavebird are missing so its trapped in there forever never to be played.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I watched some of the PC Mario 64 HD today and seriously it looks like poo poo. I don't know why some people want it to look like that. I understand some people want widescreen or 60fps, fine, but I've seen people complaining about the models and textures. The high res textures and more "on model" characters in the one I watched looked completely incongruous. Like someone plugged in weird models from some YouTube bot.

That looks like poo poo but you can still make it look like the original just with widescreen and 60fps. I’m fine with those not being in the Switch port since apparently both have issues on PC.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can’t wait to crack open my collection and play Sunshine on Friday

Hmm maybe I should take a day off work then

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Black Griffon posted:

How do y'all deal with your forces when it's getting real big in Disgaea 5? Just make a grouping of the ten best and focus all attention on them? I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed (which I guess is a constant feeling in D5 until you figure out the mechanic in question).

Yeah, I just picked 10 to be my real team and used them for all the fights. You’ll be reincarnating them a bunch as time goes on, so you’re not stuck with the classes you pick right now or anything.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Hot take: Had Nintendo included the changes from 64DS, that would have been disrespectful to the history of video games as a medium.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Terraria has split screen on the switch now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
64DS was pretty bad yeah

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I think Nintendo doesn't go far enough to respect older games and their role in the history of gaming. Frankly, I think all older games should be sold on original disks or at least disks of the original size of their respective console and expensive dongles should be purchased to connect a reader to the Switch unit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

64 DS with actual analog controls might be fun, but absolutely isn't the version that should be presented here

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think the idea for that mod is to make it look like mid 90s SGI renders for funsies, but lol yeah I'm sure there are still a lot of THIS Is How Mario, Will Look Like In 2020???? people who think it's a straight up improvement

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fire Emblem was the last physical Switch game to have a shortage (that wasn't Ring Fit Adventure). And that was sold out for maybe a couple days before more copies trickled in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know this is a Switch thread, but whatever...

So me and my daughter just got finished playing Wind Waker on the Wii U. She loved it, and she is really interested in playing Ocarina of time now.

What is the best way to play this game? I literally have it on the N64, the Wii VC, that Gamecube collection, and the 3DS. 3DS is obviously superior in some ways, but hard to play together. I'm thinking I may be better off dropping $10 and getting it on the Wii U VC version? Like it may be worth it to just do save states, which I think N64 VC does on the Wii U, right?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One thing to note is that OoT3D has a ton of QOL, features, such as gyro aiming, permanently mapping some items like boots and the ocarina to the touch screen, and it even has some subtle hint lines to make the infamous Water Temple easier to navigate.

I'm playing the N64 version via the GameCube version right now for first time since I've played the 3DS version and the lack of those features hasn't been a deal breaker. It helps that I've played the game hundreds of times over my life, but I think the N64 version on Wii U VC will be fine.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I recently got a Switch, which is my first console in 10 years, and my first Nintendo console since the 64. My birthday is coming up so I'm looking for some games I would like to get, and being that the 64 was my last amazing Nintendo experience, Yooka-Laylee has enticed me.

Now I know lots of people say it's disappointing, but I am still interested. My question is what is the best way to get a physical copy of this game? Is eBay my best bet? All the copies look ridiculously expensive, but I'd like to prevent my Nintendo from becoming like my steam library with hundreds of digital games I never ever touch. I think physically buying games is probably the best way for me to do this.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Detective No. 27 posted:

One thing to note is that OoT3D has a ton of QOL, features, such as gyro aiming, permanently mapping some items like boots and the ocarina to the touch screen, and it even has some subtle hint lines to make the infamous Water Temple easier to navigate.

I'm playing the N64 version via the GameCube version right now for first time since I've played the 3DS version and the lack of those features hasn't been a deal breaker. It helps that I've played the game hundreds of times over my life, but I think the N64 version on Wii U VC will be fine.

oh yeah, I've played through the 3DS version. It's just hard to play with two people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, WiiU VC is probably the way to go in your situation

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

Nintendo NEW Switch.

Switch U bitch

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It would be such a nice treat for Mario 64 to let us play as the DS characters after beating Bowser.

Don't give them any special powers, just skins.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Switch U bitch

Nintendo 128

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If the new switch launched with a new fire emblem...

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Probably too much to ask, but it's be nice if they got rid of depletable lives. In 64 in particular they don't really do anything except once in a while you get punted back to the main menu to load your game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Probably too much to ask, but it's be nice if they got rid of depletable lives. In 64 in particular they don't really do anything except once in a while you get punted back to the main menu to load your game.

They did in Odyssey so I don’t really expect them to return in future games. I doubt they’ll remove them from older ones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Agreed but we still need 1 ups to do the Green Demon Challenge.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Black Griffon posted:

Nintendo 128

This or Switch 64 would be legit amazing names :classiclol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Super Duper Nintendo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I did wonder earlier today if they could just do what baby boomer mothers always thought and just call it "the Nintendo".

Edit: or alternately they could call it what I thought it was called when I was like four: "intendo".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I did wonder earlier today if they could just do what baby boomer mothers always thought and just call it "the Nintendo".

Edit: or alternately they could call it what I thought it was called when I was like four: "intendo".

How'd that turn out for the WiiU?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Junkie Disease posted:

It wouldn't make a big difference. FE is not a big seller. It does fine but the switch version hasn't even topped 5 million.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Junkie Disease posted:

Mobile is where Fire Emblem really makes money, not consoles.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want a Super Switch with yellow joycons

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Mobile is where Fire Emblem really makes money, not consoles.

mobile fire emblem doesn't make money without console fire emblems

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

In a similar vein, check out these 'remastered' (actually AI upscaled) cutscenes from the Blade Runner PC game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmPyg9O2dlI

The old video genuinely looks better in almost all instances, the vaseline-on-the-lens effect from blurring out the compression blocks looks awful, and the weird edge/movement artifacts you get from processing videos like this makes me feel like I've been microdosed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

In a similar vein, check out these 'remastered' (actually AI upscaled) cutscenes from the Blade Runner PC game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmPyg9O2dlI

The old video genuinely looks better in almost all instances, the vaseline-on-the-lens effect from blurring out the compression blocks looks awful, and the weird edge/movement artifacts you get from processing videos like this makes me feel like I've been microdosed.

... You know I read the LP for Blade Runner a lot, but never watched any of the videos for it. And the voice Lucy has? My mind can't take it.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nrook posted:

Hot take: Had Nintendo included the changes from 64DS, that would have been disrespectful to the history of video games as a medium.

The switch is fertile ground for the second coming of unnecessary touch-based mini-games.

Also Wario.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Does it just run and look worse or are there gameplay issues with the Switch version?
I've heard it crashing for some people but don't know if they've patched or what since the launch yet.

I've only played a few matches and it seemed fine, the movement and magic weapon stuff was fun. It could stand to use more people but having solo mode opened up probably helps, at launch it was only 3 person squad mode and 42 players total I think? A decent chunk of the match would just be gathering stuff w/your team until the end game. First match we were all attacking each other until we realized we were on the same team...then slowly progressed towards the middle and fighting here and there as the walls closed in.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Couldn't they have come up with any kind of joke on what an upside down L looks or sounds like, rather than just copying Wario?
As mentioned the names work better in Japanese ("warui" means bad :shrug:), but while looking that up I just noticed it's not just an upside down L, it's inverted. It's upside down and flipped horizontally! I don't know if I ever noticed that before.

hatty posted:

64DS was pretty bad yeah
But it had those touch screen mini games! Their mobile efforts should just be porting their random old small stuff like that.

I want Rusty's Real Deal Baseball on my phone :colbert:. And/or Switch.

(And use that COVID-19 contact tracing API for a StreetPass app. Minus the COVID-19 part.)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Nintendo Swotch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s hosed up there’s no Warioware on switch. hosed. Up.