Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Magnaflux posted:

Did this get posted here yet? I have no idea where this is from. I found it posted on a different forum.

Automotive train cars getting scalped on a low bridge.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kWtkE_1599678102

I think those are Ford Explorers and Escapes, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I find it interesting that they clearly stopped, backed it up a bit, and then pulled further under the bridge. I wonder if they were switching, or if the train was proving hard to move and they were trying to figure out why.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Seems like a bad idea to stand on that bridge, IMO.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Charles posted:

I think those are Ford Explorers and Escapes, at the very least.

oh good. nothing of value was lost.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trains loving rule

https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/l...ded4668f32.html

quote:

One of the trains was in the Yakima River Canyon and moving through the upper canyon late last week. The trains are similar, with one or more engines, on-board generators, a caboose that transports firefighters and can serve as a command center, plus cars carrying large white tanks of water.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Virtual Railfan caught a derailment as it happened in Missouri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyMx-ta_sY

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
What
https://twitter.com/roshiaNOW/status/1306219498719129605

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Npfzk0GgS8

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SPIRITED AWAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pznqTTkurvw

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I think they're harvesting brine shrimp? Bing has better aerial imagery.
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=7c1e6546-4a0d-48ec-a055-b919eea9cbb4&cp=53.146895~78.384952&lvl=14&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027
edit: Artemia

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 21, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

JingleBells posted:

Virtual Railfan caught a derailment as it happened in Missouri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyMx-ta_sY
That was so loving close to just falling off the bridge I swear I'd have stained the seat brown if I was driving

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
If anyone remembers my post about the 'good old days' of British railways and their lingering use of freight trains without continuous brakes on the wagons, here's what happens when it goes wrong:

This was an internal move at a marshalling yard with a hump - the shunter/switcher was pulling a rake of loaded four-wheel tank wagons backwards over the hump, with the intention being to stop with the rearmost wagon at the crest of the hump so, once the wagons were uncoupled from each other and given a nudge in the reverse of the original direction, they'd go back down the hump into the sorting sidings as needed. Obviously that meant that the loco, the brake van, the two vans serving as barrier wagons and all but the last tank had to be carefully eased over the crest of the hump and down the approach ramp. A routine operation, Class 08 shunters have fiercely powerful brakes and the brake van should hold it all, right?

For whatever reason, the tanks didn't feel like stopping, overpowered the retarding abilities of both the brake van and the loco and pushed the whole lot down the ramp, through the buffer stock and onto (and partially down!) the catch bank. As you can see, the loco and the brake van dug into the earth, which led to the first barrier van breaking its coupling, turning a somersault and ending up upside down on top of the brake van, while the second van was pushed upwards by the momentum of the tanks behind and came to rest upright on top of the other van's undercarriage, wheel-to-wheel! Luckily the tanks stayed upright and undamaged.

Most amusingly, the first van (the one that's upside down) is a VSV 'ShockVan', with the body free-mounted on the frame by springs and dampers to take out the worst of the jolts and motion for carrying fragile cargo.

Apparently the driver of the shunter immediately (and permanently) gained the nickname 'Stacker' which followed him for the rest of his career, much to his annoyance. Years later the obsolete coaling stage at his home depot was demolished and almost immediately someone had chalked 'Stacker Strikes Again' on the rubble.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
God, I love railroad nicknames. Easy, Bullhorn, Thump, and Dump are names I've come across and there's always a good story. I'm adding Stacker to my favorites list.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I worked with an old guy named Buzzer. He'd gotten his nickname at 1 days old, by an enthusiastic older brother who went around neighborhood announcing "I've got a new baby buzzer! I've got a new baby buzzer!"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Another classic BR incident, showing that amusing accidents could happen even on freight trains fitted with continuous brakes, from Gerard Fiennes' book I Tried To Run A Railway:

This one concerned a goods train working the suburban and district freight lines in Edinburgh. It was a 'partially fitted' freight, with the front portion of wagons (in this case 12 vehicles) fitted with vacuum brakes controlled by the driver, and the remainder still unfitted under the 'control' of the guard in the brake van on the back. Shortly after setting out the train suffered a vacuum failure, which naturally (it being a fail-safe system) caused the brakes to be fully applied. This brought the train to a halt in the Haymarket tunnel on the main line.

The driver sent the fireman back along the train to look for the fault in the train pipe. After a while he returned and said he couldn't find anything. Now the driver left the cab and together they walked along the train. They came to the last fitted wagon and heard the unmistakeable sound of rushing air - the vacuum hose (the 'bag' in BR terminology) on the back of the last fitted wagon had come loose off its mounting plug, causing the loss of vacuum. The driver watched as the fireman ducked under the buffers, went between the wagons and, with a loud *ssssssshonk* re-seated the loose bag on the plug.

The fireman came out from between the wagons and both men started to walk back towards their engine. All this time the now-sealed train pipe was being emptied of air by the ejectors, still left open on the footplate in the crew's attempts to keep the brakes off when the fault occured. Then...

Gerard Fiennes posted:

Choo......choo...choo...choo choo choo. She was away. No one on the footplate. The driver clawed his way to the nearest telephone on a signal post. He rang Waverley signal box. The signalman looked at his diagram. The line to Portobello and the south was full of trains. The line to Granton Dock was clear. He set the road for Granton. He phoned the station staff there to warn the guard.

The train emerged from the tunnel at maybe fifteen miles an hour. By the time the brake van emerged she was doing twenty. The guard was on the rear platform, leaning on the rail, drawing at an empty pipe clamped in his mouth upside down. The Inspectors and porters on the platform shouted and waved their hats and flung their arms to heaven as he passed. The guard waved back. He thought they were wishing him many happy returns of his birthday, which it was.

He realised something was amiss when he recognised the steep down gradient on the Granton branch. The train was then doing around fifty miles an hour. He chose a grassy bank and alighted. He didn't even break his pipe. We spent four days at Granton picking up the mess.

At the enquiry the driver - and of course the fireman, for in this matter the Scots are indistinguishable from the English apart from an even greater fear of authority - maintained stoutly that the regulator had a shocking blow - J38s, he said, were often so.

"Enough to start a 300-ton train and accelerate it to twenty miles an hour in a mile?"

"Och aye."

A bland an impervious front. Nevertheless we found from the wreckage that when the loss of vacuum brought them to a stand, he had left open the regulator.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

first guess is they ran triples (3 layers of cars) on a route that was only OK for doubles (2 layers of cars)

multilevel autoracks are the same height.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

vains posted:

multilevel autoracks are the same height.

weird, i didn't know this but it totally makes sense

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
There's coal in that-thar river!
https://twitter.com/MasonAtoms/status/1322661143261925376/photo/1

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bridge collapsed, it’s Infrastructure Week!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Midjack posted:

Bridge plum gave out

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Appparently you need to service those bridges once or twice every fifty years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The most artistic train derailment in history just happened in Spijkenisse in the Netherlands:

It was a complete fluke :dadjoke:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The most artistic train derailment in history just happened in Spijkenisse in the Netherlands:

Block the track and make it part of the installation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Station De Akkers right? That's amazing.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Midjack posted:

Also see: Infrastructure Weak.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Rename the art to "Whale Escaping A Train Attack"

ed: I just realized the enormity of what you said. It was a whale of a joke :dadjoke:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More photos from the press now that it's daylight.

Before:

After:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
it's a whale-way station! :haw:

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Rail whale, holy grail.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If this is supposed to have happened in the Netherlands where's the little boy with his finger in the blow-hole?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He's a titleist

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
I wanted to say "Make America Freight Again" but he's more interested in Amatrak. So I'm going to have to go with "Make Americans Freight Again"?

Biden promised a 'railroad revolution' that could see faster trains and a return to Amtrak's nostalgic past — here's what Americans might see

Thank you Charles. I'm an idiot that doesn't check his links.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 16, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Working link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...see/ar-BB1b1U8w

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just came across this vid of an old SP tank train crawling out of a tunnel on the Tehachapi Pass:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpTRpn_fuQ&t=37s

Talk about Holy Smokes! :eyepop:

I'd heard about locos overheating in long upgrade tunnels/snowsheds (hence the Tunnel Motors), and that some of the big American rail tunnels have forced ventilation (what's the one which has the door that shuts across one end to keep the forced air in?) but I'd never thought of the locos actually sucking all the oxygen out of the tunnel and so rollin' so much coal!

And I thought old Alcos were the 'honourary steam engines!'

The 'best' bit is the thick soot cloud curling out of the cab window on the last lead engine which someone left open, and some poor dude will presumably have to sit in some time soon.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

BalloonFish posted:

Talk about Holy Smokes! :eyepop:

I'd heard about locos overheating in long upgrade tunnels/snowsheds (hence the Tunnel Motors), and that some of the big American rail tunnels have forced ventilation (what's the one which has the door that shuts across one end to keep the forced air in?) but I'd never thought of the locos actually sucking all the oxygen out of the tunnel and so rollin' so much coal!
Explains why the SP locos always looked so dirty!

It is neat how you can see the exhaust clean right up as each loco leaves the tunnel and can finally get some air.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
You know, I had heard that the SP "Tunnel Motors" were made to combat exactly this situation, but I have somehow never seen just how bad it got before. Seeing how much fuel was wasted in the tunnels alone must have made the bean counters in San Francisco go straight to :catstare:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

razak posted:

Explains why the SP locos always looked so dirty!

It is neat how you can see the exhaust clean right up as each loco leaves the tunnel and can finally get some air.

I've been on a bit of a US railroading info-binge this year (gotta do something with lockdown and under-employment...) and it seems that SP always had a reputation for filthy stock. I assumed it was just corporate penny-pinching as the company went through its 1980s wobble, but if they're spending their days running through near-solid soot clouds then I can see why they're so grimy and why they didn't bother washing them very often.

Tex Avery posted:

You know, I had heard that the SP "Tunnel Motors" were made to combat exactly this situation, but I have somehow never seen just how bad it got before. Seeing how much fuel was wasted in the tunnels alone must have made the bean counters in San Francisco go straight to :catstare:

My understanding was that Tunnel Motors were designed to stop the units overheating in atmosphere of the tunnels and sheds which quickly filled with hot exhaust gas. I've read something from an ex-EMD employee saying that the notion that the design was to pull cooler air from the bottom of the hood isn't really the case - the turbulence in the constricted space of a tunnel caused by the exhaust of the lead loco hammering away in notch 8 makes the exact place the radiator draws its air from moot, and all the more so the further back in the lash-up the loco is. The real purpose was to move more air through a slightly enlarged radiator to give the engine a chance to cool down (or at least shed a bit of heat) in the gaps between the tunnels.

I'd never considered the inside of the tunnels getting so thick with soot and clag from oxygen starvation. It can't have helped the cooling passing all those particulates through the radiator core. And what was really shocking about that vid was how much smoke was ahead of the train - you'd sort of think that the crew at the front would at least be in fairly clean air, but they would have been right in the thick of it. We all know how bad diesel exhaust particulates are for you now...

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Reminds me of the one video where Ed Dickens interviewed a former BigBoy fireman. The fireman said going through the tunnel was so miserable getting pelted with hot cinders the brakeman would climb in the tender's water tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
That's... not gone well

(from https://www.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/kdqg64/a_union_pacific_freight_train_carrying_soda_ash/)

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 16, 2020